Name Three Things - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
today i'll wash the dishes (including one pan and one large pot with lid that currently have soapy water in them, from yesterday's lasagna making and 'putting up'), and scoop the litter boxes. i'll move some cold cuts to the fridge to thaw. i'll definitely be keeping the wood stove going -- it's gotten down to 14 degrees F here overnight! :cold:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester Pam, some meds for nausea cause sleepiness and she could've been dehydrated from the vomiting. Sounds like she is on the mend if she ate both the chicken and her regular food. I must admit I was crying yesterday and Friday when you told us what happened, I feel like she is one of mine.💝

• Boxes
  • Tea
  • Some laundry. I think I'm going to call Jon and tell him I don't want Sherry to come back. I'm not positive but about 95% certain.

susanm9006 susanm9006 I wish I could do that but I can't afford it. Sherry is from an agency and I am on Medicare and Medicaid because I am disabled. Medicaid pays the agency. I am going to look for an Independent Provider. These are aides who work for themselves and bill Medicaid. They are much better than agency aides because they are paid better and like their jobs.I have a list of names and phone numbers.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We're back to square one with The Beast. Yesterday, she ate her rice; she wasn't happy about it, but she ate it. We did go over to my sister's last night and when we came home, the tail was waving and she seemed more energetic. She ate more rice, took her pill, drank water, went out to pee. Rick spent another night in the living room with her. This morning? She's not good again. Wouldn't eat the rice, wouldn't eat any dog food; I even tried a very small helping of cat food and she wouldn't even sniff it. I tried about a fourth of one of her cookies. Nothing. She did drink some water and Rick said she did pee. All she wants to do is eat snow (we awakened to a little over an inch of snow this morning). She's listless and all she does is sleep. She's hungry, I can tell she's hungry. But she won't eat. She hasn't puked, but then there's really not much to puke up. Thank you for your thoughts for her. I think we'll be going back to see TED (The Evil Doctor, so called because he takes things away from boy kittens and spays girl kittens and he gives shots.).
  • Breakfast for the girls and I'm drinking my coffee. I'll have to scoop boxes and raise the shed blinds.
  • On the first of two loads of laundry.
  • We have to take the Tucson down to the garage today for its appt for tomorrow. Something's funky with the electronic system. The tire gauge came on, then flashed twice, then went back off (I just bought new tires back at the end of December and had a wheel alignment done). Then the gas gauge went up to FULL and is staying there, although we know there's only around 140 miles in the Range. No way is that full. We figured it was better to have the car checked out. I've been driving Clarence around town (we've had very little snow and Clarence really didn't go into hibernation this winter, since it's been rather mild) and we take the truck on errands, too.
  • On the way back from the garage, we'll stop in for a few groceries this morning.
  • I need to do a vacuum and Swiffer in the shed. Need to mix some food for the violets and cactus and give everything a good watering.
My sister brought her son and his family and our niece's parents into see the shed yesterday. They loved it! My (grand? great?) niece wants to come up and spend a night in the shed with me. She's all excited about it. She wanted it painted pink, but she wasn't upset when we went with purple; she really likes purple, too. My nephew said that the whole time they were driving to my sister's (they live in Virginia), she kept saying, "I have to see that she-shed! I really gotta see that shed!" :lol: Last time she saw it, it was still bare bones, so all she saw were some pictures that my nephew showed her.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester I am so sorry about the Beast. Hopefully they will find out soon why she can't eat. :hugs:
So cute about your niece loving the shed!

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
  • Boxes
  • Tea
  • Have decided to keep Sherry at least for now. I made a list of pros and cons and they just don't have any aides available. On Saturday and part of Sunday, I pretended I didn't have a helper, did some of what she does. By Saturday night I could barely move and could only sleep about 4 hours, got up at midnight in a wicked flare. Either way I'm stressed. I am going to speak with Jon and ask him for the next available aide. I wish I didn't need help but I do. I so tried to see if I could do it but I just can't. I will begin telling her when she's being rude and disrespectful, and to not criticize my family. Baby steps.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 I can't say what I think of your helper; I'd be thrown off the boards. But you're in my thoughts and I really wish they could find somebody for you who will work and who has a good manner for you. Someone who's willing to do what she's supposed to do without complaining. I'm so sorry you're going through this. People like that know they have you over a barrel because there are simply not enough people to do that type of work.

We're calling TED this morning about The Beast. We switched her over to Blue Buffalo because she stopped eating the rice. She likes it and she eats it. She's drinking water. She's peeing and pooping. But man, she's still out of it. Rick almost had to carry her up the stairs this morning when they came inside from the first pee and poop. Sometimes she seems so alert and the flag (tail) flies, but those times are few. Usually outside, she's walking/prancing/sniffing way in front of us and she holds her tail high; her tail has a white tip and it's constantly waving. Now, we're walking and she's way behind us and there's no flag. This morning, she met me when I came out to feed everybody...first time since Friday morning. But she's not good. Rick has been sleeping on the couch all weekend.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, scooped the boxes, stripped the bed, and put the sheets in the washer.
  • We took the car down to the garage yesterday for appt today; they'll call to let me know what's wonky with the electronic system. I hope it's nothing serious. And we should be able to pick it up this afternoon. (Yesterday when I drove it, I started it and it read 160 miles left on the tank of gas. A couple miles later, it went up to 237 miles, then dropped to 135 miles. It should have about 140 miles left. Something's funky.
  • We have quite a few stains on the carpet from The Beast puking. Even though it's not a good time to steam-clean, Rick is going to clean the living room carpet and then do the kitchen and bathroom floors today. I'm going to vacuum and do a quick swiffer throughout.
  • I'm hoping to spend some time in the shed tonight, reading.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, so many members with so many difficult situations - Winchester Winchester with The Beast, Mia6 Mia6 with her aggravating home help aide. Here's hoping the veterinarian can provide help and perk up the aging dog. And speaking to the aide is probably more likely to result in an improvement in her attitude, more so than sharing with us. She sounds like a miserable person with an unhappy life that she just discharges over everyone around her.

Today I need to
1) run several loads of laundry through the washer & dryer and fold up to put away
2) get gas. Tomorrow is the media preview for the orchid show at the New York Botanical Garden. It is an 86 mile / 2 hour drive each way. Himself's younger sister who lives in Manhattan will join me so it will be a delightful two-fer.
3) as well as Costco for fuel I want to stop at Wal-mart and / or Lowe's. The last three books I reviewed for my website all made mention of kokedama, Japanese moss balls. Sounds intriguing, something I want to try (and suitable for a website entry too.) When I'm at NYBG tomorrow I'll visit their shop to purchase a suitable small orchid and also a small indoor fern. But the ancillary supplies - sphagnum moss etc - will be less expensive, not to say cheaper, at a big box store.

A walk in the woods yesterday revealed more hellebores in bud, significantly more emerging snowdrops, and an eruption of winter aconites, harbingers of spring. They do seed about rather enthusiastically but are so welcome at this time of year.
BelleWood in Bloom_2020-02_clump of Eranthis hyemalis.jpg

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom , I've been intrigued by marimo also. They are algae balls that live in water. Something that, if you try it to go along with the fish, I'd dearly love to hear about.

Kokedama are quite different, moss covered spheres of a soil / compost / clay substrate with a fern or orchid or what have you erupting from the top. Some are suspended in air, or they may sit in a saucer.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kokedama are quite different, moss covered spheres of a soil / compost / clay substrate with a fern or orchid or what have you erupting from the top. Some are suspended in air, or they may sit in a saucer.
Oh, these sound lovely!

Something that, if you try it to go along with the fish, I'd dearly love to hear about.
I have three small marimo that were doing well in the tank with my Betta (I placed them together after the tank's beneficial bacteria got the new aquatic environment settled, about a month or so ago) but just these past couple days one of the balls is starting to disintegrate. I don't know for certain, it's possible they got too warm since the Betta require at least 77 degrees F.

I've removed them to their own vase which is cooler, so we'll see how things go.

I tied a string around the one that's splitting in two,

And I rinsed them and will keep an eye on things :)

Last edited:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Arrange my driveway feeding station for nigh time (my feral cats); anchor the food dish somehow so that the raccoon doesn't push it clear across my 1/4 acre back yard like usual, get medicine for Mom who has cellulitis.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
with her aggravating home help aide. Here's hoping the veterinarian can provide help and perk up the aging dog. And speaking to the aide is probably more likely to result in an improvement in her attitude, more so than sharing with us. She sounds like a miserable person with an unhappy life that she just discharges over everyone around her.
Because she is with an agency it would be inappropriate for me to do that. I share with the site because I consider everyone here my friend. I don't get out much because of my disabilities so it's nice to come here and "talk" with all the amazing people. Your trip to the NYBG sounds wonderful!

Winchester Winchester I hope the beast is feeling better? I gave the Vincie girl Blue for upset bellies when she was going through her IBS probs.
  • Boxes
  • Tea, lots
  • Make a list for helper. She was great yesterday.....made tuna salad and homemade cornbread. She'd never made it before so I stuck around the kitchen. She folded laundry and washed another load. She does adore Cal but cannot pet her because of her allergies.She got me a can of catnip oil instead of catnip because Walmart was out of it. I've been spraying her mice, then let them dry. We're supposed to get about 3 inches of snow tomorrow, back and forth weather, yikes!! Cal is sleeping beside me. She went out for half an hour this morning and came in with muddy feet but I keep a damp towel by the slider so I can clean them before she makes a mess. She's cooing now.💖

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We did take The Beast back to the vet yesterday. They did x-rays, bloodwork, and an ultrasound. It's her gallbladder; the bile is so thick, it's almost like a jelly. They said we could take her to Allentown for her to have gall bladder surgery. But at her age (she's almost 15 years old), we're just not sure if she'll come through the anesthesia and surgery. They gave her sub-q fluids, pain meds, something for her appetite, and we are to continue the anti-nausea med. She also has liver problems; her liver enzymes are really high. That's another reason we opted not to do surgery on her. Last night, she was really hungry, ate and drank, and she was right behind me the whole time I was cooking in the kitchen. The tail was wagging (not flying high, but wagging) and she seemed fine. This morning, she wants no food, she's simply pooped and is napping. We had her almost five years, ever since Rick's dad passed away and his mom went into assisted living. If we can keep her comfortable and get the infection down from the gall bladder, that's all we ask at this point. We're going to try to get and keep her comfortable until she's ready. Right now, she's not ready. She has another appt in one week to see how she's doing. Thank you for thinking of her.

We took her off the Prozac; it's simply not needed anymore.

I was out in the shed last night for an hour or so; Rick said the whole time I was out there, The Beast was lying at the top of the steps waiting for me to come back inside. She doesn't do that for Rick; for some reason, she only does that when I'm out there. And then when I come in, she stands up, the tail starts waving, and she says, "There you are! I'm so happy to see you!" I always tell her, "I'm so happy to see you, too!" And I always love her up for a while.

Mia6 Mia6 I'm glad your helper really "helped"! :hugs: Do you think that maybe Jon talked to her? I just love tuna salad.
  • Breakfast for the girls, walked 3 miles, and am drinking my coffee. I need to raise the shed blinds. Rick went into work; he has six people to sign up (if they all show up; they never do) and then he'll be home
  • I have a 2:00 hair appt this afternoon. Afterward, I'll stop at the store for more canned food and some Prilosec for The Beast and I need to go into the candy shop in town for Rick for V-Day.
And that will be my Tuesday

Last edited:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 Re your aide - perhaps on the catching more flies with honey, the next time she's slamming around and yelling you could sweetly say "My, you seem very upset today. What upset you so, or did you not sleep well last night?" I'm assuming you told her the cornbread was delicious.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 Re your aide - perhaps on the catching more flies with honey, the next time she's slamming around and yelling you could sweetly say "My, you seem very upset today. What upset you so, or did you not sleep well last night?" I'm assuming you told her the cornbread was delicious.
Yep and it was!!!!, ha!!! That's a good idea! Thank you!

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester I am so sorry about the Beast but I feel your made the right decision. As long as the vet will give her appropriate pain meds and not something that lame.She surely loves you!! It's good that you can be home with her during this time.Wonder if the cats know something is not right with her.Tail up is good!! :hugs: I haven't said anything to Jon----yet, ha!!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester i am so sorry about The Beast. What is her real name? I know you really like calling her The Beast, but...

She lives you. I know it took a long time for you two to adjust to each other. Somehow, you were able to convey love to her. Oh , I think I remember! Is her name Jackie?

Poor baby. And with all your recent losses (((Hugs))) :grouphug2:

If you can. And I know you will — spoil her a bit.

Hugs, kisses , schrintzes from me and Geoffrey to you, Rick, the kittie and The Beast.

❤❤❤♥♥

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hugs, kisses , schrintzes from me and Geoffrey to you, Rick, the kittie and The Beast.
From me and Poppycat too (with a teensy reservation about a D-O-G) lol

Dusted, vacuumed, changed sheets, laundry

Shoveled the driveway

Did a water change for the fishy kids

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 The orchid show is lovely. Here's one image to whet your appetite - mirrored geometric fountain, waterfall, and pool with orchid flowers floating in it.
NYBG Orchid Show_2020-02_mirrored fountains, waterfall, pool with orchids.jpg

And I had an equally lovely visit with my sister in law. The drive home was also good.

However the ride in was awful, tedious, bumper to bumper. Took 2 hours 45 minutes so I was quite late for the start of the media event.

So today's three things included
1) getting up rather early to shower, dress, feed cats, feed Himself, scoop litter pan, and hit the road
2) eventually reach NYBG and the orchid show. Sis-in-law had waited outside the conservatory for me, asked if I wanted, then got me a coffee (decaf, the high test was all gone) and recommended the vegetarian sliders as opposed to the spicy chicken (the media is treated quite nicely) I averted my gaze from the enchanting sweet treats.
3) scooted through the various galleries trying to catch up to the show's designer, the orchid curator, my friends in the PR department, and the media. Mission achieved.
4) Eventually orchid-ed out (is that a word?) and off to the cafe for coffee (I had a latte, sis-in-law had a flat white) and talked and talked.
5) to shop where I bought a tiny fern and some sheet moss for my kokedama-to-be, but no orchid. The majority were too large for this, and the smaller ones didn't "speak" to me. For $21 I need to fall in love with the plant, right?
6) dinner will be, I think, the two broiled chicken thighs left from the other night, together with mushrooms, onion, green peas or maybe broccoli, and rice. And Himself will enjoy the rice, I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.