Name three things - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This morning I am doing some baking for our Harvest Festival at church. Our son is coming after lunch so I will just sit awhile and visit with him. Later I will cook up a big pot of chili for our crock pot meals at the Harvest Festival.
Here is the picture of the experiment. It is a gluten free Strawberry Pound Cake. I didn't get the glaze thick enough. As you can see, I cut a slice and tried it. Now I wonder if it is really going to the Harvest Festival :evilgrin:

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
blueyedgirl5946 blueyedgirl5946 It looks delicious! I'd gobble a piece....or three. :lol:
  • Breakfast for the kids, made the bed, when I'm done with my coffee, I'll scoop the boxes
  • We are going out for breakfast and then apples, apples, and apples!
  • Must go over to my sister's to take care of their cats and spend time with Harley. :redheartpump: He meets me at the door and as soon as I open the door, he just leaps into my arms! Such a sweetie. I keep telling my sister that if she comes home and he's not there, she is not to worry about him at all. :) He's in good hands. I have loved that boy since she found him as a wee kitten.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I'm going to head out in a bit :think: I have items to return to the library, then I'll stop by the bank ATM, then I want to go leaf peeping locally. There's a local national historic landmark that's popular for leaf peeping with all the different species of trees.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i got the wood stove going (just briefly, to take the chill off the house), then made some strawberry jello, washed the dishes, and scooped the litter boxes.

after that i worked on organizing the bills.

later today, i'll work on the budget for a while. that always takes much longer than i hope it will, but needs to be done.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
  • Breakfast for the kids, 2 miles on the treadmill, working on the second of four loads of laundry, stripped the bed (Rick will scoop when he gets up from his morning nap). He's going to go out to dig up the cannas this afternoon. He'll dig them, cut them down, and then store them in layers between newspaper in totes in the basement.
  • I'm getting ready to start making applesauce. I'm going to do the sauce first and then, if I have time, work a bit on pies. I also want to make an apple coffee cake to take into work tomorrow.
  • A quick steam-cleaning for the kitchen floor when I'm done with the sauce and pies
  • Visiting the Rick's mom tonight. I'll take some apple coffee cake up to her.
  • Manicure tonight and then Outlander....it's a longer show tonight because Claire and Jamie are back together.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I'm really tired this morning. Yesterday was hectic, doing this working on that, trying to get it all done. I'm just pooped.
  • Breakfast for the kids, 3.25 miles on the treadmill, made the bed, grabbed my shower
  • Somehow, somehow, we have to catch Miss Amber to get her down the vet tonight; she has her dental tomorrow morning. Somehow.....:sigh: :sigh:
  • And after we drop Miss Amber off at the vet, we have to grab a few groceries on the way home.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester -- Miss Amber will be in my thoughts today. :redheartpump:

well, i did a heck of a lot yesterday. so not overly much going on today. i scooped the litter boxes yesterday evening, so won't need to do them again until (what i consider) tomorrow -- late this evening. some online orders may be delivered today, so will keep an eye out for that. i must call and check on part of my order from Home Depot. i ordered a new thermostat which i'll install myself, and that is on it's way. but the precision screwdriver set, needed for the tiny screws on the thermostat, has not been shipped yet. :sigh:

i may very well get a batch of chickpeas cooking in the slow cooker today. i'll freeze some in portions (for making hummus), and use one portion tomorrow to make a batch of hummus. :yummy:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thank you! She is at the vet; we managed to get her in the carrier, but it wasn't pretty and Rick is among the walking wounded. She got him with both teeth and claws. We cleaned his arms and hand out as best we could last night and I didn't see any sign of infection this morning. But it was ugly. The vet tech tried to weigh her and she got bitten, too. Miss Amber is one peeved little girl. Before we left last night, I tried to give her a pet and she spit at me. If all goes well, I'll go down tonight and bring her home. (She'll high-tail it under the couch. And that will probably be the last we see of her for about a week!) It's about $900 for her dental, including the pain shot and antibiotic shot they'll give her before I bring her home tonight. We'd never catch her to give her meds, so they do shots for her.
  • Breakfast for the kids, 3.25 miles on the treadmill, made the bed, grabbed my shower
  • Must run some errands during lunch today
  • Bring Amber Louise home from the hospital tonight
  • Cater to Amber's every little whim for the rest of the night....if she'll let us

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm so sorry that your Rick got bitten and scratched, and the vet tech too. if she's like our Dude was when he got home after his dental, she'll be 'loopy' for a while from the anesthesia -- probably for the rest of the night. i'm hoping your girl is like Dude, very quickly i could tell his dental pain/discomfort had been relieved.

today i've got the bread machine making a loaf of bread, i washed the dishes, and scooped the litter boxes. later, probably early afternoon or in the evening, i'll get that batch of chickpeas cooking in the slow cooker. i'll also work on unpacking the boxes that were delivered yesterday -- i got about half of them done yesterday, after hauling them all inside the house. they were quite heavy! :sweat: then i'll see if i can squeeze out time to work on the (budget) planning and organizing.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We got her home last night and she's fine. We brought the carrier up the steps, opened the door, Amber zoomed out and hid under the couch....for about 20 minutes. Then, bless her heart, she came up and sat with Rick and me on the couch! She was doing some serious muttering, too, so we knew she was hungry, but the vet tech told us not to give her anything to eat last night. This morning? Well, at 4:15 she was in the kitchen muttering away about breakfast, so I just got up and fed everybody; I wasn't making her wait any longer. And she scarfed her plate.

Amber and I have our little routine. When I put her plate down, I hold my hand out, palm-down. She comes over, right under my hand and lets me caress her from head to tail as she comes over to settle down and eat. I didn't think she'd do it this morning, but she did and even arched her back for me. I stayed in the kitchen to see if she ate everything and she did. Gave herself a bath and got on the couch to wait for Rick to sit down with his cereal. She's going to be fine. We are $400 poorer, but it was money well-spent to get our little girl back to feeling like herself again.

Rick is fine; there's no infection or anything. He says the scratches on his stomach hurt more than the cat bite on his hand. The vet tech is fine, too. She did say that they used gloves to handle Miss Amber. She has Amber-tude, that's for sure.
  • Breakfast for the furkids, 3.25 miles on the treadmill, made the bed, scooped the boxes
  • Laundry
  • Trash night

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm so glad that Miss Amber is home and doing so well!! :cloud9: and very glad to hear that your Rick isn't having any signs of infection. :agree: very nice that the vet tech is fine too!

hmmm...today i got the wood stove going, and scooped the litter boxes. i also took the small (1 1/2 quart) enamel double boiler out of the box it arrived in -- it's going to be used for melting Gulf Wax, for preserving/canning.

shortly, i'll move two small bags of cooked chicken to the kitchen, putting one in the freezer and the other will go in the fridge to thaw (will use in a batch of chicken pasta salad that i'll make tonight -- i'm going to try adding some mandarin oranges on top when serving it, which i'm thinking will taste good). i'll also move a jar of mandarin oranges to the fridge to thaw.

later, in the early afternoon, i have a phone call to make. and i'm hoping to get those chickpeas going in the slow cooker too.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom I love mandarin oranges with chicken; that should be do good!

Yesterday, Amber ate a full can of cat food throughout the day! We feed Friskies and everybody gets 1/3 can per meal. Well, around 10:30 or so Amber came out to the kitchen and she was muttering like crazy, so I knew she was really hungry. I had 1/3 of a can in the fridge, so I got it out, added some beef stock, and microwaved it on a plate for 10 seconds (what really amazes me is that I managed to get it all done without the other cats hearing me!) and she scarfed it down and licked the plate clean. When she gets dry kibble, I moisten the kibble well with more stock. Turns out she just loves my beef stock! I may be creating a monster here for stock. So she is doing very well. Thank you for keeping her in your thoughts. She's doing so well.
  • Breakfast for the kids, 3 miles on the treadmill, made the bed, grabbed my shower
  • I think we're going to mow the yard tonight and try to get it finished on Friday night. It is to start raining Saturday early evening and Sunday is to be a wash-out. We need to get the yard done before then.
And that's pretty much it for the day. I have a meeting with our attorney first thing this morning to review a subdivision plan with storm water that's giving me fits, but that's the big agenda item for me.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i got the chicken pasta salad made, and had extra penne pasta cooked, so made a smaller batch of macaroni salad to go with my lunches too. thank you, Winchester Winchester , good to know that others like mandarins with chicken! :) i'll try the mandarins with the chicken pasta salad tonight.

i also got the chickpeas cooked yesterday, and tonight portioned them into containers. they're cooling in the fridge, and later today (afternoon) i'll put each portion (enough to make a batch of hummus) into zipper bags and then into the freezer they'll go. i used an Alton Brown recipe for cooking chickpeas in the slow cooker, and they turned out wonderful...and 'creamy', like Alton said they would. i'll make a batch of hummus this afternoon.

i washed the dishes and scooped the litter boxes too.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Did not manage to mow the yard; it got very cloudy and there were showers around us. Hopefully we'll have better luck tonight. We went down to Lowes to look at new storm doors. Haven't ordered anything yet, but we managed to agree on the door we want. We have a southern exposure; in the winter, when the sun hangs low in the southern sky, it shines right in the front windows and onto the living room floor. By early afternoon, you can find the kitty clan in various poses on the floor in sunlight. We would like to be able to have our front door open on bright, sunny days during the winter; I think it would add some heat down in the foyer; we're putting in ceramic tiles on the foyer floor. But we need a better-insulated storm door and more insulation around the door opening. That's one of Rick's projects.
  • Breakfast for the kids, 3.25 miles on the treadmill, made the bed, some general straightening-up
  • Dropped off library books on my way into work this morning
  • Hopefully get to mow the yard tonight, or at least the front yard

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom have you tried your chicken salad with the mandarins yet? Any thoughts?

We got the yard done last night. :clap: Got home from work, changed clothes and went outside right away. I think we created a world record for us; it took about 2-1/2 hours with Rick pushing and me on the riding mower.

Depending on what weather weenie you believe, we are in for a classic nor'easter to hit Sunday. We could have anywhere from two inches up to five of rain with gusty winds. In addition to that, we have a cold front coming through, starting late this afternoon with rain and wind. It could get quite ugly, which is why we wanted to get the yard mowed before it hits. We are worried more about the wind than the rain; we worry about power, especially at this time of year. But, depending on how things go, with a ton of rain, I might not have work on Monday....the work driveway might be completely flooded out. I'll have to keep an eye on things. Two inches of rain....we can deal with that. Five or more....could be ugly. (And lord, it could have been snow!) Fortunately as it is now, most of that really heavy stuff will be more to the east of us.

Powerful Coastal Storm Will Likely Bring Damaging Winds, Flooding Rainfall to the Northeast Starting Sunday Into Monday | The Weather Channel
  • Breakfast for the kids, emptied the dishwasher, Rick scooped boxes. I ended up going back to bed; I had been writing to Mother Dragon this morning and, as I was finishing up, my vision broke. A migraine was coming. I just went to bed and the M & Ms joined me. I stayed in bed until around 11 or so, til the worst of it was over and I could deal with the pain. And actually, it wasn't that bad this time; the meds that I'm on now for blood pressure also tend to help migraines (according to my doctor), so maybe that was why. It was still painful, but not nearly as bad as what I've had. And I am grateful.
  • Errands: We did our banking, headed to Target, and we hit the new bagel place that opened in town (wonderful bagels, BTW!)
  • I'm heading over to Amazon to buy an ebook that I can't find at the library: Full Wolf Moon (Lincoln Child). Rick will be spending the day watching college football, so I'm going to bed with my iPad and will read later on this afternoon.
  • But before I read, I want to go to the basement to work on kitchen stuff down there. I've been really bad about putting things where they belong when I'm done using them and have just been putting them here and there. I need to organize my stuff so I know where it's at the next time I use it.
And I think that's it for my day. I am so glad we got the yard done last night!

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Target run this morning. I only needed one thing (envelopes) and ended up buying several other things :rolleyes: On the way home I stopped by the bank and then CVS for body wash that Target did not have and the library. Later I walked to the police station to drop off old prescription medicines for the National Take Back Day.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
micknsnicks2mom micknsnicks2mom have you tried your chicken salad with the mandarins yet? Any thoughts?

We got the yard done last night. :clap: Got home from work, changed clothes and went outside right away. I think we created a world record for us; it took about 2-1/2 hours with Rick pushing and me on the riding mower.

<(big) snip>
yes, i did try mandarins with the chicken pasta salad. i liked that very much! :yummy: of course, i also ate some mandarins on the side/on their own -- i just love mandarin oranges!

here's something i think you would have enjoyed -- i went over to the auction house (a 4 minute walk from my house) today, and they were having a home remodeling auction! there were a lot of different things there being auctioned. they did the lumber, insulation, roofing materials, and some other wood items first. then they started in on the cabinets (some sold as sets, others individually), those nice new style shower enclosures with the spa jets in them :cloud9:, and the flooring. i saw some gorgeous porcelain tiles -- they were 'white', not bright white but looking like a marble/stone with very very vague ever so light gray marbling in them. they were 12" x 24", and they were selling in cases, the total number available being 144 of them. they also had 5 unfinished barn doors there. these were of a quality to be used in the home, with classic hardware -- you know, the kind with the exposed wheels... something like this......

Rustic Slide Barn Door Closet Hardware Set - Rustic - Barn Door Hardware - by White Shanty
https://www.houzz.com/product/26950...dware-set-2-rollers-rustic-barn-door-hardware
they had some other items, like some big flat screen tv's, a particular style kitchen faucet set, some power tools, and a collapsible aluminum ladder. as always, they also had some 'stuff', like some kids toys, and other general things.

i'll remember to check with the auction house, when/if i have the kitchen flooring redone.

while i was there, i asked if they'd be getting in any of the lovely citrus from Florida. i was told that 'it does make it up here sometimes' and to call them to check on that, from just before Thanksgiving until around mid-December.

today i washed the dishes. my plan for today is to have a day of rest. we'll see if that happens...

it's forecast to have A LOT of rain here, from tonight through tomorrow night -- 1-2 inches tonight, the same for tomorrow day, and the same for tomorrow night. that's 3-6 inches of rain total. :sigh: i went ahead and moved a 'boatload' of kindling (for the wood stove) into the back enclosed porch, and mowed the front lawn (actually may have just barely trimmed off the tips of the grass, but my objective was to chop up the leaves that had gathered on my front lawn) yesterday. anyway, i'll be keeping the wood stove going low and slow throughout the coming day. i'll watch some tv shows, and may well read for a while.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow, I would have enjoyed going with you! That would have been interesting. Those barn doors are great; Rick wants a couple to "hide" some of the shelves in the basement. Our larger shelves hold a ton of Christmas stuff and boxes of old dishes and what-not. He's been talking about the barn doors forever now. It sounds like quite the interesting place. I'm always up for looking around at places at that. I'd go with you!
  • Breakfast for the kids, 3.5 miles on the treadmill, stripped the bed, Rick will scoop when he gets up from his nap
  • I'm on the third of four loads of laundry
  • A good vacuuming and Swiffering around here today
  • Wipe down the kitchen and the bathroom
  • I may do some baking.....those apple cider doughnuts have been calling to us and I found a recipe from King Arthur
  • Manicure tonight, followed by Outlander

Status
Not open for further replies.