My outdoor cat is still in my neighborhood but won’t come home. Please help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
It'll all work out. I have faith. Keeping you in my prayers. Please don't lose hope :hearthrob:
I have faith too but at the same time I’m uneasy. In my 14 years of living this is the first time I’ve ever had a cat go missing, so this came as a huge shock to me. Thanks again.

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
The longest I have had a cat go missing and return safe and sound was just short of a year. Don't give up!
I won’t. Although at the same time I don’t think I’ll be able to be without him for that long... I know that it’s just your experience but ya never know.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember, cats are masters at hiding from prey and they can use their cloak of invisibility at will. Camouflage has been very useful to them but it makes it hard for us to see them, even when they are right under our noses! I’ve spent a lot of time searching for ferals in a woodsy area and sometimes they were right beside me and I missed them. Cameras are very helpful. Trail cams and the monitors. Their eyes will reflect very well at night on the cameras.

I have an iPhone too. I have not enjoyed it but so far the Motorola monitor has worked.:lol: Maybe we both got the lemons in the batch. I hope Motorola is better with monitors! Yikes! There are lots of other options for cameras though.

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
Remember, cats are masters at hiding from prey and they can use their cloak of invisibility at will. Camouflage has been very useful to them but it makes it hard for us to see them, even when they are right under our noses! I’ve spent a lot of time searching for ferals in a woodsy area and sometimes they were right beside me and I missed them. Cameras are very helpful. Trail cams and the monitors. Their eyes will reflect very well at night on the cameras.

I have an iPhone too. I have not enjoyed it but so far the Motorola monitor has worked.:lol: Maybe we both got the lemons in the batch. I hope Motorola is better with monitors! Yikes! There are lots of other options for cameras though.
Yeah we’re looking into cameras as well. I don’t think we could’ve been putin a worse scenario. Cupid is black and most active at night -_-

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, I’m still looking into new ways to find Cupid and retrying some old ones.

In 2 days, it’ll have been a month since we last saw Cupid. This has been the worst month of my life. I miss him so much. I’ve felt really empty since he disappeared. Sure, I have my parents, my sister, and my friends, but I miss running up to my room and laying down next to him.

On Halloween I’ll be having friends over to play Super Smash Bros. Ultimate again. Now that Minecraft Steve finally made the cut, we’re gonna create some insane fights with him. Also maybe more people will draw Cupid back home.

An update on S’mores: He’s still underweight, and he currently has diarrhea. Poor guy. He’ll be ok I’m pretty sure, but still sucks.

Thank you all so much.

Attachments

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In 2 days, it’ll have been a month since we last saw Cupid. This has been the worst month of my life.

On Halloween I’ll be having friends over to play Super Smash BrosAlso maybe more people will draw Cupid back home.

An update on S’mores: He’s still underweight, and he currently has diarrhea. Poor guy. He’ll be ok I’m pretty sure, but still sucks.

Thank you all so much.
I'm so sorry. Know that everyone on here is here for you. I have faith that Cupid will come back- I really, really do- and I'll be continuing to pray for you and your situation. Have fun with your friends! Poor S'mores. When I got my kitten Willow she was severely underweight- and the same has happened with some of my friends- and had diarrhea for a bit, too. God bless you, and don't give up hope 🙏

P.S. Thos pictures are really, really cute :)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give Cupid more time. In cat world, that isn’t long for wandering. I know it is very long for you because you love him but just keep liking. Never give up. Since he is dark colored, the flashlight trick and cameras may show his eyes at night. If he knows you are looking at certain times, he could be watching so even if you just shine the flashlight out your windows, give it a try. S’mores is looking a bit plumper! A tummy problem at his age is common so hopefully he gets that straight so he can come to snuggle That is an adorable little one! :lovecat2:

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. Know that everyone on here is here for you. I have faith that Cupid will come back- I really, really do- and I'll be continuing to pray for you and your situation. Have fun with your friends! Poor S'mores. When I got my kitten Willow she was severely underweight- and the same has happened with some of my friends- and had diarrhea for a bit, too. God bless you, and don't give up hope 🙏

P.S. Thos pictures are really, really cute :)
Thanks. I think Cupid will come home too. I guess it’ll just happen when it happens. I also think S’mores will be just fine. If you think that’s cute, Cupid hangs out in bags and laundry baskets all the time.

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
Give Cupid more time. In cat world, that isn’t long for wandering. I know it is very long for you because you love him but just keep liking. Never give up. Since he is dark colored, the flashlight trick and cameras may show his eyes at night. If he knows you are looking at certain times, he could be watching so even if you just shine the flashlight out your windows, give it a try. S’mores is looking a bit plumper! A tummy problem at his age is common so hopefully he gets that straight so he can come to snuggle That is an adorable little one! :lovecat2:
Thanks, I’ll take that into account. Never thought of it like that because prior to this, he had only been out for increments of 2 days without coming back. I hope he gets better too, can’t wait for him!

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, Cupid has officially been missing for a month now. I’ve been so sad and miss him so much. We’re working on trying the things suggested, but we just haven’t had time between my parents’ work and me and my sister’s school.

I want him home so bad. Apparently a month isn’t that long to cats, so then what is long for them? What would be the best thing to do first? I want to plan this out in the most effective way to get him home. Here’s my favorite picture of Cupid. My best bud.

Thank you all so much for all of your help.

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it’s hard to find the time in a busy life schedule. The thing is, it will take a concentrated effort to do a thorough search. Maybe you and family can set aided specific times during the week do have search parties. Make it an occasion. Gather flashlights, cat treats and cat food to carry around. I don’t know how your parents would want to carry this out but maybe as a family group, wander from house to house together, them on the back and you in front? Let neighbors know ahead of time that you will be doing a walk through so they will be aware that your family is coming through. Look over and under everything. If you could do this for a little while each evening or each weekend, maybe you’ll get results. I’ve know cats to stay gone for very long periods of time but the sooner you organize a search, the sooner you have a chance to quit worrying. If he is truly lost, he will need a little guidance to find the correct path home. Leaving a trail of your scent is a good way to help him if he is hiding out. Cats have a good sense of smell so finding the path you have walked will be useful. Call him each evening at feeding time even if you can’t go see arching. Keep a strict routine of doing this. Maybe do it again at bedtime or the time he liked to run up to your room. Cats love keeping a routine. Just keep trying. Persistence and consistency! :heartshape:

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it’s hard to find the time in a busy life schedule. The thing is, it will take a concentrated effort to do a thorough search. Maybe you and family can set aided specific times during the week do have search parties. Make it an occasion. Gather flashlights, cat treats and cat food to carry around. I don’t know how your parents would want to carry this out but maybe as a family group, wander from house to house together, them on the back and you in front? Let neighbors know ahead of time that you will be doing a walk through so they will be aware that your family is coming through. Look over and under everything. If you could do this for a little while each evening or each weekend, maybe you’ll get results. I’ve know cats to stay gone for very long periods of time but the sooner you organize a search, the sooner you have a chance to quit worrying. If he is truly lost, he will need a little guidance to find the correct path home. Leaving a trail of your scent is a good way to help him if he is hiding out. Cats have a good sense of smell so finding the path you have walked will be useful. Call him each evening at feeding time even if you can’t go see arching. Keep a strict routine of doing this. Maybe do it again at bedtime or the time he liked to run up to your room. Cats love keeping a routine. Just keep trying. Persistence and consistency! :heartshape:
I’ve been trying to convince my parents to set up a search but they keep saying things like “we’ve already checked” and “if he was able to come home he would” and “if he was nearby he’d be home” and they can’t be convinced otherwise. They’ve been fine with calling him with his treats though. I still have faith in what we can do.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you distributed posters and put him on lost pet websites and Facebook pages? That doesn't take as long as a physical search, and honestly, trying to search for a cat doesn't usually work that well. They're almost never exactly where you're looking. So the best way is to make sure everybody in the area knows, and that way if he shows up at their house looking for food or shelter, they'll know who to call.

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you distributed posters and put him on lost pet websites and Facebook pages? That doesn't take as long as a physical search, and honestly, trying to search for a cat doesn't usually work that well. They're almost never exactly where you're looking. So the best way is to make sure everybody in the area knows, and that way if he shows up at their house looking for food or shelter, they'll know who to call.
We’re getting on that. I don’t use Facebook but my parents do, so I’ll tell them to make posts.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nextdoor.com is also an excellent way to alert neighbors to lost pets. I belong to it, and have seen several cats (and dogs) found and returned. When you join, you automatically are routed to your own neighborhood.

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Boston got its first snow of the year today, and I’m worried about how Cupid could be doing. It’s nothing too bad (I have a picture of my backyard today for reference), and I know he could handle it, but the not knowing adds on. How could he be handling himself?

Attachments

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone. This thread has gone on for 100 posts. I’ve gotten so much advice and things to try, and I’m getting on it to bring Cupid home.

I can’t do anything tomorrow because as I said before, I’m having friends over to play Super Smash Bros. Ultimate in the backyard.

Something that’s been in my mind the past few hours. Despite not doing trick or treating, we’re still doing costumes. I’m doing V from Cyberpunk 2077. If you don’t know what that is, this commercial sums it up: The problem is, V’s outfit is all dark colors. I feel like bright colors would be easier for Cupid to see. So there’s that :/

But yeah. I’m hoping he’ll find his way back soon. I miss him so much. S’mores and his mom are at the shelter right now, trying to help him gain weight. Hopefully he’ll be ours soon and Cupid will come home to meet him.

Thank you. A thousand times over, thank you.

Attachments

Last edited: