My outdoor cat is still in my neighborhood but won’t come home. Please help.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good! Like I said, I'm always suspicious now, lol. But yeah, have your parents call Animal Control and any local shelters every day, because they usually don't have to resources to call you if they find a cat fitting his description.

Also, print off flyers and post them within about a 5-block radius, because most cats don't go very far unless they hitched a ride on a delivery truck or something like that. Also try to post them at places that have bulletin boards, like laundromats, vet's offices, etc.

Most people will call Animal Control if they find a lost dog, but most people assume a cat is a stray and don't bother to call them in, so you want as many people as possible to see the posters, they might be like "oh yeah, that's the cat who was eating my cat's food last night".

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know. I can look into it. I will tell my parents the info on calling every day, they’re just as involved in the effort to find him as I am. Thanks for the info about traps, my Dad must’ve been thinking of the inhumane ones.

Yes, please do keep on the shelters and vets. I am curious, what were you going to do with him while during your vacation?
Was a friend or family member going to drop by to feed him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's good! Like I said, I'm always suspicious now, lol. But yeah, have your parents call Animal Control and any local shelters every day, because they usually don't have to resources to call you if they find a cat fitting his description.

Also, print off flyers and post them within about a 5-block radius, because most cats don't go very far unless they hitched a ride on a delivery truck or something like that. Also try to post them at places that have bulletin boards, like laundromats, vet's offices, etc.

Most people will call Animal Control if they find a lost dog, but most people assume a cat is a stray and don't bother to call them in, so you want as many people as possible to see the posters, they might be like "oh yeah, that's the cat who was eating my cat's food last night".
Yeah I understand why you’re suspicious after an experience like that. I’ll definitely have my parents call places. I highly doubt he hitched a ride on something, so he’s probably just around and lost. Thanks for the a advice, I’ll definitely ramp up the search efforts when I come home on Tuesday.

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recommend they at least call around today. Some shelters only keep animals for 3 days. . .
My Mom told me she wasn’t going to call every day as she had signed up for this thing called Home Again, and Cupid is microchipped so they’ll know who he is

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, please do keep on the shelters and vets. I am curious, what were you going to do with him while during your vacation?
Was a friend or family member going to drop by to feed him?
We used to have my grandparents take care of him, but now they’re 79 and 85 so they can’t do it anymore. Now we have our neighbors watch him and feed him.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know all too well about missing cats... My family and I have had 3 cats stray away (one was after we moved, and two were after we let them out of the enclosure they were kept in after adopting them), and both times it took way too long for them to be found. They seemed to appear right when we gave up hope.
I'm praying that Cupid shows up soon. :hugs: Good luck!

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know all too well about missing cats... My family and I have had 3 cats stray away (one was after we moved, and two were after we let them out of the enclosure they were kept in after adopting them), and both times it took way too long for them to be found. They seemed to appear right when we gave up hope.
I'm praying that Cupid shows up soon. :hugs: Good luck!
Thanks. I had an idea to prevent something like this from happening again when he comes back (I’m 99.9% sure he’s okay and just lost), which was to put a GPS collar on him. However, we tried putting a regular collar on him when he was a kitten and every time we put it on him he got out of it in 5 minutes. Got any tips on how to keep one on him?

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I had an idea to prevent something like this from happening again when he comes back (I’m 99.9% sure he’s okay and just lost), which was to put a GPS collar on him. However, we tried putting a regular collar on him when he was a kitten and every time we put it on him he got out of it in 5 minutes. Got any tips on how to keep one on him?
Our old cat had this problem, too. Was his collar a breakaway collar? biscuitbrunch biscuitbrunch recommended that I check out Beastie Bands, which are made out of a stretchy material that he can escape out of if he needs to, but are not breakaway per se.
A GPS tracker is a great idea- I've seen them at the store for about $20. I definitely recommend getting Cupid a collar, especially if he's an outdoor cat :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Mom told me she wasn’t going to call every day as she had signed up for this thing called Home Again, and Cupid is microchipped so they’ll know who he is
Remind your mom that with COVID, shelter workers are very overwhelmed right now, and that a cat, even with a chip, can fall through the cracks. She should at least call ever other day, or at the most, every third day.

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, I can’t stress this enough, thank you all so much for helping me out and giving me tips to find Cupid. As I mentioned before, I’m leaving for Florida tomorrow and will be back on Tuesday. So I’ll be taking a break from this thread, but I’ll ramp up search efforts when we get home.

I also wanted to announce something big for us: We’re adopting a second cat in addition to Cupid! His name is S’mores and I’ve attached a picture of my Dad holding him, as well as a Cupid picture. He’s underweight right now (11 oz), so we won’t have him until at least Veteran’s Day, but I’m so excited!

I talked to my Mom about how Cupid would feel about having a little brother when he comes back, and she said she thinks Cupid would love and protect S’mores. That’s reassuring to my earlier worry.

I’m 99.9% sure Cupid is perfectly fine and just lost. I have no doubt he’ll come home. I can’t wait for him to meet S’mores! Thank you all for the replies, and I’ll talk to you again soon.

Attachments

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, I’m back from Florida now. I’m taking everything that was previously said into account and I’ll be trying it. So, does anyone else have any other ideas? I really miss Cupid and I just need him back with me. I don’t know what I’d do without him. I’m sure he’ll come home but I’m just so sad.

Also an update on S’mores, he’s 1 lbs 3 oz right now. He needs to be 2 lbs, but he’ll be here in 2 weeks. I can’t wait!

Thank you all so much.

Attachments

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, I’m back from Florida now. I’m taking everything that was previously said into account and I’ll be trying it. So, does anyone else have any other ideas? I really miss Cupid and I just need him back with me. I don’t know what I’d do without him. I’m sure he’ll come home but I’m just so sad.

Also an update on S’mores, he’s 1 lbs 3 oz right now. He needs to be 2 lbs, but he’ll be here in 2 weeks. I can’t wait!

Thank you all so much.
Hello, I hope you had fun on your vacation. Congratulations on adopting S'mores. He is adorable and that is a cute name for a kitty.😸 Here is an article with a kitten weight chart that you may find helpful. Kitten Weight Chart | Ask The Cat Doctor
Kittens gain a pound or more a month until they reach adult size which is usually over 10 pounds. Cats with smaller frames weigh less and those with larger frames weigh more. It depends on diet and genetics.

In regards to Cupid, did you visit online websites like the Lost and Found Pets or any other such websites. If there are such websites in your area have your parents put a post up about Cupid. The Lost and Found website by me has reunited alot of lost dogs and cats, even a few lost parakeets. It is worth a try.

You got a lot of good advice on this thread and the fact that Cupid is microchipped increases your chances of finding him. Keep looking and don't give up hope. My cat from years ago was missing for 5 months and than all of a sudden returned to me out of the blue one cold January morning. He was thinner, but in good health. Someone may have had him that whole time. One thing I did after that is not let him out again. If Cupid returns make him an indoor only kitty, same with S'mores. Trust me, It really is best to keep them in.

Maybe someone else can add to all the advice given. I really can't think of anything else right now. Will say a prayer for Cupid's return. I know how it feels having a cat get lost. As said before, don't lose hope. Hang in there.🙂

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, I hope you had fun on your vacation. Congratulations on adopting S'mores. He is adorable and that is a cute name for a kitty.😸 Here is an article with a kitten weight chart that you may find helpful. Kitten Weight Chart | Ask The Cat Doctor
[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]
Kittens gain a pound or more a month until they reach adult size which is usually over 10 pounds. Cats with smaller frames weigh less and those with larger frames weigh more. It depends on diet and genetics.

In regards to Cupid, did you visit online websites like the Lost and Found Pets or any other such websites. If there are such websites in your area have your parents put a post up about Cupid. The Lost and Found website by me has reunited alot of lost dogs and cats, even a few lost parakeets. It is worth a try.

You got a lot of good advice on this thread and the fact that Cupid is microchipped increases your chances of finding him. Keep looking and don't give up hope. My cat from years ago was missing for 5 months and than all of a sudden returned to me out of the blue one cold January morning. He was thinner, but in good health. Someone may have had him that whole time. One thing I did after that is not let him out again. If Cupid returns make him an indoor only kitty, same with S'mores. Trust me, It really is best to keep them in.

Maybe someone else can add to all the advice given. I really can't think of anything else right now. Will say a prayer for Cupid's return. I know how it feels having a cat get lost. As said before, don't lose hope. Hang in there.🙂
Thanks for the chart about weight, that will be useful for S’mores. I’ll tell them about that site, we’ve never heard of it. Could you give me the link to it? I can’t seem to find it on Google.

I would keep him in, but the problem is that being outside and hunting is a huge part of who Cupid is and I don’t want to take that away from him. I’m thinking of trying a collar with a GPS chip in it as a solution, but whenever we try to put a collar on Cupid he always gets out of it within 5 minutes. Got any ideas of how to keep it on?

We’ve decided to keep S’mores on the second floor of our house only for the first week, but after that he’s free to move about the house. S’mores is very calm and gentle as opposed to Cupid’s hyperactive and playful, so we think he’s destined to be an jndoor

Thanks for praying for Cupid. I’m not losing hope.

Also, have these pictures of Cupid coming to grab my hand, and one of S’mores.

Attachments

Last edited:

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
Will the cat doctor site help me search for Cupid, or is that for S’mores?