My outdoor cat is still in my neighborhood but won’t come home. Please help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will ask local kids, there’s a bunch of young kids on my street so I’ll ask them. Thanks for the information on the traps. Where would be a good place to buy baby monitors? I wouldnt know, I’m 14 and my sister is 12 so any that we had are long gone.

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I’ll ask the kids. Thanks for the info on traps. Also, where is the best place to get a baby monitor? I wouldn’t know, I’m 14 and my sister is 12 so any we had are long gone.

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, thanks for the response. It’s now officially been a week since Cupid was last seen by my neighbor. I’m taking everyone’s advice, but I’m in a bit of a pickle. On Saturday, we’re going to Disney World to celebrate my Dad’s 50th birthday. I want to find Cupid before then if possible. What would you suggest?

Someone on Reddit brought up maybe he was jealous of another pet. I initially thought that was out of the question, because he’s our only pet, but then I remembered my Dad sometimes gives our neighborhood dogs treats. I’m very anxious about that now.

I love Cupid so much, he’s my best friend. My rational mind is trying to tell me that he loves me back and I’m his best friend too, but the irrational side thinks that jealousy is a possibility. I just need him back home with me.

Again, Cupid is only 6 and I want him to live all of his days here with us. I love him so much and need his cuddles again. Thank you to everyone who’s responded.

Attachments

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, thanks for the response. It’s now officially been a week since Cupid was last seen by my neighbor. I’m taking everyone’s advice, but I’m in a bit of a pickle. On Saturday, we’re going to Disney World to celebrate my Dad’s 50th birthday. I want to find Cupid before then if possible. What would you suggest?

Someone on Reddit brought up maybe he was jealous of another pet. I initially thought that was out of the question, because he’s our only pet, but then I remembered my Dad sometimes gives our neighborhood dogs treats. I’m very anxious about that now.

I love Cupid so much, he’s my best friend. My rational mind is trying to tell me that he loves me back and I’m his best friend too, but the irrational side thinks that jealousy is a possibility. I just need him back home with me.

Again, Cupid is only 6 and I want him to live all of his days here with us. I love him so much and need his cuddles again. Thank you to everyone who’s responded.

Have you contacted the local rescues on a daily basis? Have you checked with local vets to see if any injured kitties have been brought in matching Cupid's description. Have you looked in drains, empty houses, sheds, under porches, to see if he is trapped? He could also be sick or injured and holed up in one of those places. How is the trap thing coming?

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for replying. I need moments like this one with Cupid again.

Attachments

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you contacted the local rescues on a daily basis? Have you checked with local vets to see if any injured kitties have been brought in matching Cupid's description. Have you looked in drains, empty houses, sheds, under porches, to see if he is trapped? He could also be sick or injured and holed up in one of those places. How is the trap thing coming?
We called local shelters and vets once, nothing. We’ve looked under any place he could be trapped. The traps I haven’t made any progress on. I haven’t had the time to head out to an animal shelter to get one because I’ve been tied up with school.

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
When was the last time he was spotted? I agree that you should check with Animal Control, the police department, and any animal rescues in the area. Also put up posters in the surrounding neighborhoods, find your city's lost pet Facebook page and post him there. Maybe NextDoor too.
Thanks for the advice, I’ll check those places.

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
How are things going?
I haven’t had time to set anything up. I had school from 8 to 2:30, homework on top of that, and it’s currently raining outside my house. I’m going to try and get a trap tomorrow.

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, a few quick updates on the search for Cupid.

I’ve been super with with school. I haven’t had time to go looking or anything. And we’re having a microburst at the moment.

Also a huge dent in plans. My Dad just informed me that traps are illegal in Massachusetts. So traps are now out of the question. Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

Attachments

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another thing: my Mom told me there’s another cat in my neighborhood who looks a lot like Cupid, and she thinks my neighbor saw that cat and not Cupid. I miss him so much. Until he comes home, his favorite blanket and my hand will be sitting here, waiting for him.

Attachments

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
We called local shelters and vets once, nothing. We’ve looked under any place he could be trapped. The traps I haven’t made any progress on. I haven’t had the time to head out to an animal shelter to get one because I’ve been tied up with school.

The guy at the animal shelter brought his traps to my house and left them on my porch. Can you request that? Also, you need to call daily, tabbies like Cupid are common so it is possible that the shelters and vets may have overlooked him.

No, live cat traps are not illegal in Massachusetts. Certain traps are, like leg hold traps, but not live traps.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Live traps are never illegal, although usually you have to have permission to put them anywhere but your own land, of course.

The illegal traps are the cruel ones like leghold traps, which ought to be illegal everywhere.

I hate to bring it up, but is it possible your parents rehomed him and are giving you the runaround? I once spent a week looking for my best friend's kitten when I was a kid, only to finally find out the kitten had died and her parents were lying, so I'm always suspicious about that kind of thing now.

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
Live traps are never illegal, although usually you have to have permission to put them anywhere but your own land, of course.

The illegal traps are the cruel ones like leghold traps, which ought to be illegal everywhere.

I hate to bring it up, but is it possible your parents rehomed him and are giving you the runaround? I once spent a week looking for my best friend's kitten when I was a kid, only to finally find out the kitten had died and her parents were lying, so I'm always suspicious about that kind of thing now.
0% chance of that. My parents love Cupid just as much as me and my sister do. Before this whole pandemic started, my Mom often told me that Cupid would come into her home office looking for cuddles, and he kept her company while the rest of us were at school (My Dad is a teacher), I have pictures of Baby Cupid on my Dad’s shoulder, safe to say they love him too. Cupid for some reason likes to lick the butter in the house, so we always have to keep it out of reach. My Mom just told me that when she goes to cover it, she stops and gets a bit sad Cupid isn’t here. Cupid has not been rehomed, he is not dead, and my parents are not lying. Sad story about the kitten tho.

CyberAlexMM

Cupid’s Best Bud
Adult Cat
Purraise
The guy at the animal shelter brought his traps to my house and left them on my porch. Can you request that? Also, you need to call daily, tabbies like Cupid are common so it is possible that the shelters and vets may have overlooked him.

No, live cat traps are not illegal in Massachusetts. Certain traps are, like leg hold traps, but not live traps.
I don’t know. I can look into it. I will tell my parents the info on calling every day, they’re just as involved in the effort to find him as I am. Thanks for the info about traps, my Dad must’ve been thinking of the inhumane ones.