My Furbaby Needs Help!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay, so I got some great news!!
I recently made friend of mine gave me the money for the surgery!

I'm SO glad!
This surgery meant her life after all.

The vet should be calling me tomorrow for the blood test results so I'll be making arrangements then with them for when they can do they surgery.
That's wonderful. I hope everything goes well. Many cats do just fine without teeth and I'm sure she will too. Please give her some hugs and kisses for me. :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anime Chick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's wonderful. I hope everything goes well. Many cats do just fine without teeth and I'm sure she will too. Please give her some hugs and kisses for me. :hugs:
Thank you for the kitty love~.
Yeah, I'm hoping it goes well. The vet said they may be able to save some that aren't bad so I'm hoping thats the case, even if she has to lose the ones that help her break down her food.

I'll just have to make sure all her food is soft, so wet food and dry food mixed with chicken broth to soften it when I can't get wet food yet, will have to be what she eats from now on. I don't want her to try to eat the dry bits and choke because she swallows it wrong.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wet food is better for her in the long run, anyway. However, that said, I've known many a toothless cat who could chow down on kibbles with no problems at ALL!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wet food is better for her in the long run, anyway. However, that said, I've known many a toothless cat who could chow down on kibbles with no problems at ALL!
That's very true considering that cats really don't chew their food anyway.

Anime Chick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE;

So I tried the vet multiple times and they keep telling me the vets are too busy. Apparently, a lot of people are having emergencies with their pets so they don't have time to call me back yet.

I waited all day yesterday when they were supposed to call me the first time as soon as the results for her blood test were in. They came in, but didn't call me to give me the results. So, I tried calling today hoping I could get someone. First, they were out to lunch. I waited a few hours cause the secretary claimed a vet would call me back after, but no one called. So I called back again and the lady said the vets were all handling emergencies and she'd see if at least one could tell me. But none of them could so much as come to the phone.

I wanted to get this all handled today because tomorrow I have therapy and then my mom wants to take me to RHA--hopefully--so I don't be able to get to call them till later.

I really wanna find out what the blood tests say... but they keep ducking around it, for now, cause of being too busy.

Hopefully, with any luck I may get a chance to speak to them tomorrow afternoon sometime. Otherwise, unno whats going to happen of when they'll be able to speak to me about it, but I need to speak to them for more reasons than the blood test. I still need to discuss when we can get the surgery scheduled for.

I'm a bit stressed over this and just wanna get all this done as fast as possible so Atsuko can start gradually recovering.

Anime Chick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE;

So the vet finally got back to me.
Atsuko's blood is 100% clean. No issues anywhere other than her teeth! Shes a very healthy kitty~.

We have a date now for the surgery.
Thursday, between 7 and 9AM I'm supposed to bring her in. I'll have to make sure I'm out of here SUPER early since it takes me almost two hours to get from here to the vet on my bike.

So I'll likely leave here around 6AM and try to make it for around 9AM.

They told me make sure she doesn't eat anything the day of, but shes fine to have food the night before.

I'll see if I can get them to take some pictures.
Dunno if they will or not, but I'll try.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
One of my rescues has a few of her canines removed, she does fine. I only feed her wet food though. The one thing you might notice is they cannot close their mouth properly, it’s quite cute actually and doesn’t impact them.

Anime Chick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my rescues has a few of her canines removed, she does fine. I only feed her wet food though. The one thing you might notice is they cannot close their mouth properly, it’s quite cute actually and doesn’t impact them.
Thank you for the heads up on that. That would've freaked me out if I ran into that at face value.

Yeah, I plan to only do wet food for her from now on, or if I HAVE to do dry food, have it mixed with bland chicken broth to help it soften up enough for her to eat.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the heads up on that. That would've freaked me out if I ran into that at face value.

Yeah, I plan to only do wet food for her from now on, or if I HAVE to do dry food, have it mixed with bland chicken broth to help it soften up enough for her to eat.
Awesome, sounds like you’ve got it under control/all planned out then :).

Anime Chick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awesome, sounds like you’ve got it under control/all planned out then :).
I try to plan in advance for stuff like this. I want my kitties to have good lives.
The biggest issue is that I know wet food is so expensive which is one of two reasons that I didn't wanna have her teeth removed when it first came up and instead had her on an antibiotic called Prednisolone that the vet prescribed in the beginning.

The meds eventually stopped having as much effect tho the worse her teeth got so... I'm left out of options here. ^^;;

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Prednisolone is a steroid that helps reduce inflammation and may help with pain. I don't think it's an antibiotic.

There's canned foods that aren't expensive, or at least not bad compared to good dry foods, esoecespec if you buy in large amounts at once.

My old feral cat that I tamed, Inky, lost or had to have most of his teeth removed due to awful infections. I gave him canned food which he ate. He still loved dry food and would eat the other cats dry food every chance he could sneak in. No problems chewing or digesting if I wet it he wouldn't touch it lol.

Good luck with your cat!

Anime Chick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Prednisolone is a steroid that helps reduce inflammation and may help with pain. I don't think it's an antibiotic.

There's canned foods that aren't expensive, or at least not bad compared to good dry foods, esoecespec if you buy in large amounts at once.

My old feral cat that I tamed, Inky, lost or had to have most of his teeth removed due to awful infections. I gave him canned food which he ate. He still loved dry food and would eat the other cats dry food every chance he could sneak in. No problems chewing or digesting if I wet it he wouldn't touch it lol.

Good luck with your cat!
Ah! Right, thats what it was for. I know they gave it to help with the fact of her teeth, but it was also supposed to keep down the issue too...

They gave me this other pill back when they first started taking it but only had me have her take that one after a while. Shes been on it for months.

I kinda assumed it also helped as an antibiotic cause thats all they had her on, nothing else after awhile...

As for canned food I tend to buy Friskies because its cheapest.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a date now for the surgery.
Thursday, between 7 and 9AM I'm supposed to bring her in. I'll have to make sure I'm out of here SUPER early since it takes me almost two hours to get from here to the vet on my bike.
Please be very careful riding your bike. It's supposed to rain that day.
I have a dog who's lost a few teeth and recently a canine. He does well on dry food. I can't imagine a cat on wet food not doing well also.
Good luck and let us know how it went.

Anime Chick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How did the surgery go?
Its not till the 24th.
It wasn't the Thursday I posted it, its the upcoming one. XD!
I'm sorry you got confused cause I posted that on a Thursday.
The Thursday she goes in she goes in, in the morning. I posted that at almost 7PM.

Last edited:

Anime Chick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please be very careful riding your bike. It's supposed to rain that day.
I have a dog who's lost a few teeth and recently a canine. He does well on dry food. I can't imagine a cat on wet food not doing well also.
Good luck and let us know how it went.
Is it? I hope it doesn't.
I honestly don't normally to check the weather a week in advance because weather can change between that time.
I'll keep tabs tho in case it does where I live.
I would've checked anyway tho before I left that day~.

I'm sure she'll do well on wet food, honestly its just a matter of cost in that area cause wet food is pricy. But I will do my best as always to make sure my kitties get what they need.

I will be sure to give an update on her condition after the surgery.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Its not till the 24th.
It wasn't the Thursday I posted it, its the upcoming one. XD!
I'm sorry you got confused cause I posted that on a Thursday.
The Thursday she goes in she goes in, in the morning. I posted that at almost 7PM.
Yeah that makes sense, I was confused about the time too because depending on the time zone it was already way past the AM, lol.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, very good news! Once she has recovered, she'll be able to eat anything at all. While wet is preferable to dry, some cats won't touch it. Some cats will starve themselves into hepatic lipidosis rather than eat wet, which is rare, but happens. She WILL be able to eat kibble, but buy the smaller ones, should that be necessary.

Anime Chick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, very good news! Once she has recovered, she'll be able to eat anything at all. While wet is preferable to dry, some cats won't touch it. Some cats will starve themselves into hepatic lipidosis rather than eat wet, which is rare, but happens. She WILL be able to eat kibble, but buy the smaller ones, should that be necessary.
Nah, she loves wet food.
Only time she turns her nose up is if someone brings some new kind of dry food in shes never tasted before, then she gets obsessed with it cause its new.

My mom did that recently. Brought by some dry food when I mentioned she wasn't well. Shes always trying to get me to food them more. Problem is I don't have a place for it right now cause my dry food bin already has dry food in it since I don't give them large amounts of it.

Shes been picking food out of the bag so she hasn't been as hungry for the wet food from what I've noticed. I gotta find a place for it...