My Foster Adventure

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
And an even huger (is that a real word? :confused:) for the kitties. Things at the shelter seemed to have deteriorated and not all the sweet kitties there will make it out alive:doh:......LilDude - YOU ROCK!!!
Really sucks that those cats aren't gonna make it. I was sure we could save all of them.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's still lethargic and won't eat. I came back into the camper, since I'd been in the house, and she was in a corner with feces on her foot. Her rear is still pretty swollen and I keep leaving the house without grabbing the olive oil to put on it. In other words, her condition has not changed. I know I shouldn't have expected quick results, but I kind of did.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's upset. They had to do a fecal exam and she did not like that.
Upset is a good sign - a very good sign !
Yes, it is. It's when they don't react that you really have to worry!

Really sucks that those cats aren't gonna make it. I was sure we could save all of them.
My Darlin Girl, I know. I hoped so that they would all be saved. But the sad truth is that all you can do is all you can do, and without you, and those others who have been directly involved, NONE OF THOSE CATS stood a chance. You did very well, indeed.

She's eating now, from mama!
OH GOOD! She's making the first steps toward recovery, then!

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is. It's when they don't react that you really have to worry!

My Darlin Girl, I know. I hoped so that they would all be saved. But the sad truth is that all you can do is all you can do, and without you, and those others who have been directly involved, NONE OF THOSE CATS stood a chance. You did very well, indeed.

OH GOOD! She's making the first steps toward recovery, then!
I would've been impressed with her drinking from a bowl, but she's fighting with her siblings to get to mama. Never been so happy to see siblings fight.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is is the olive oil helping her rear end be less inflamed? You can also use coconut oil. The pain alone can cause crouching.
I was glad to see that she is nursing again. Are mama kitty's nipple getting better?

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
She looks terrible, guys. Her eyes are crusted closed. I put a warm cloth on them and wiped away the pus that poured out. Her eyes are cloudy like she's blind. She's stopped eating and she looks like a walking skeleton. She still just sleeps all day and she still has diarrhea. I've been giving her the albon and putting an ointment on her eyes. But she isn't getting better.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you able to get unflavored Pedialyte? It needs to be mixed 50/50 with bottled or filtered water. Electrolytes management is crucial to her survival! The diarrhea might be aggravated by the antibiotics or KMR. Be sure the Pedialyte is warmed to about 100°F. Administer only a little at a time. Also put a dab of white Karo syrup on her gums. 5-10 minute intervals at first. Support her temperature as before & while she is lethargic give her small frequent massages of the limbs and sides, moving the lymph and blood flow towards her heart; also keep her flipped over from side to side, to prevent the blood from pooling. And please keep her bum coated with A&D or neosporin as the pain will discourage her will to fight. A lite massage of circles on her temples, forehead and ear openings is encouraging as well as being important acupressure points.
Can you get her back to the vet and then to your foster mentor? The rescues often have certain people who can take over such critical cases.

Last edited: