My Foster Adventure

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't take her to the vet. My mom paid the last time and she can't pay again. I got like..my first debit card to put the money on from the donations and it still hasn't come in. The vet makes you pay there, I asked if there was any way I could get back to them with it and they refused.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask the vet if they take Care Credit and if so, apply online. And if, as often happens, they initially deny you, call the 800 number and talk to a live agent - my friend on disability got approved for $2500 by a live person even though she was denied online. When you get access to the donations, you can pay off the CareCredit interest free; you typically have 6 months to pay it off before interest kicks in. Also, ask the vet if they will take called-in donations, either by PayPal or via credit/debit cards.
I know that is a lot to do but will be useful in the future as well as now.
Praying for you and the kitten :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::redheartpump::grouphug:

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to go on a trip tomorrow, to get some boys neutered. That means I won't be able to get her to the vet. The place I'm getting them fixed at is a rescue center, do you think I could take her with me and see if they could give an opinion? Not sure if they're gonna charge for opinions like everyone else. Just an idea.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, me again with another complaint. One of the kittens, who I've named Randy, has an infected eye. Yesterday it was just a little runny and I put some ointment on it. Today, when I went to clean it with a warm cloth, I couldn't even see his eye. It's so swollen that I can't see anything besides a tiny hole where the fluid drains. Should I just continue to clean it and apply ointment? I can't take all of these cats to the vet.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, me again with another complaint. One of the kittens, who I've named Randy, has an infected eye. Yesterday it was just a little runny and I put some ointment on it. Today, when I went to clean it with a warm cloth, I couldn't even see his eye. It's so swollen that I can't see anything besides a tiny hole where the fluid drains. Should I just continue to clean it and apply ointment? I can't take all of these cats to the vet.
What is your plan for these cats eventually? I'm worried that they are all being exposed to the sick kittens and they will all need to see a vet. Do you have support for that?

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is your plan for these cats eventually? I'm worried that they are all being exposed to the sick kittens and they will all need to see a vet. Do you have support for that?
I dunno, honestly. I just want to make them better, make sure they don't end up in the shelter again, and get them to good homes. I've had no problem getting medicine, it's just the vet visits I'm struggling with.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
What arrangement did you come to with the shelter? Are the kittens in your sole care now or are you fostering until homes are found for them? Are the shelter still providing funds for vet care?

Even if these kittens are 100% healthy they are going to need blood tests, two rounds of vaccines and to be spayed, neutered and chipped before they can go to new homes.

But it sounds like they need a course of antibiotics and medicine to settle their stomachs right now, plus eye medications.

It's all going to be very expensive, you're going to need the shelter to pay for almost all of that.

Do the shelter know that the kittens are sick now? Have you asked them to pay for the vet visit?

Sorry, so many questions. I don't mean to pressure you, I just want to know whether you're trying to do this alone or still getting some support.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
What arrangement did you come to with the shelter? Are the kittens in your sole care now or are you fostering until homes are found for them? Are the shelter still providing funds for vet care?

Even if these kittens are 100% healthy they are going to need blood tests, two rounds of vaccines and to be spayed, neutered and chipped before they can go to new homes.

But it sounds like they need a course of antibiotics and medicine to settle their stomachs right now, plus eye medications.

It's all going to be very expensive, you're going to need the shelter to pay for almost all of that.

Do the shelter know that the kittens are sick now? Have you asked them to pay for the vet visit?

Sorry, so many questions. I don't mean to pressure you, I just want to know whether you're trying to do this alone or still getting some support.
I am fostering until homes are found, about two months until they can get adopted. The kittens were sick when I got them, but the coccidia, I'm not sure about. I don't know if the shelter knew about that before I got them or not. Since the lady had taken the kittens from the shelter before euthanization, I'm not sure if the shelter even knows I have these kittens. She also said that litter and food would be provided. She did give me some after I picked them up, but has said nothing else about it. One of the kittens, the first to get coccidia, died last night and while the other kittens look healthy, I'm afraid of what's to come for them.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
So the lady is supposed to be paying for all the food, litter and vet care the kittens need?

Coccidia is easy enough to treat, but you really need to be proactive about it, especially with such little kittens.

Could you call the lady and tell her what is going on? Tell her you need to take the kittens to a vet asap and ask her if she will pay for their treatment. You can't really wait too long as kittens are so vulnerable.

It's such a shame that one of them has died, I'm very sorry for your loss.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
So the lady is supposed to be paying for all the food, litter and vet care the kittens need?

Coccidia is easy enough to treat, but you really need to be proactive about it, especially with such little kittens.

Could you call the lady and tell her what is going on? Tell her you need to take the kittens to a vet asap and ask her if she will pay for their treatment. You can't really wait too long as kittens are so vulnerable.

It's such a shame that one of them has died, I'm very sorry for your loss.
She didn't say anything about vet care. But she did say food and litter would be provided.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a foster, you should have vet care covered. The place you are fostering through should also help with vaccines, spaying, neutering, and adoption.

I think you need to call and ask a lot more questions

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
As a foster, you should have vet care covered. The place you are fostering through should also help with vaccines, spaying, neutering, and adoption.

I think you need to call and ask a lot more questions
She took them from the shelter since they were going to be euthanized, I took them from her. And she says that means they weren't fostered from the shelter so they don't have to pay for the vet

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellocomputer: Chiming in here.....to answer the questions: the Georgia shelter offers only euthanasia. period. This is the policy for most rural, underfunded shelters. Yes, the rescue should be supplying the food and medicine; however, as their resources are also limited, vet visits may or may not be included.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Guys, mama isn't feeling good. She's keeping to herself, she isn't eating, still skinny as can be, and someone is peeing blood, I'll assume it's her.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If anyone can help pay for vet care, PM me and we can see about getting a vet visit funded ASAP. I have contact info and am willing to act as go-between.
This is a complicated situation but we are the TCS family - we can figure this out. No one should have to do this alone!

Last edited:

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
We're at the vet, she's drooling and wheezing and I really thought that she was about to die. I'm gonna figure out some form of payment with them for now. I just had to get her here.