My Foster Adventure

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
:clap: I actually like the technique of sleeping with the tinies. And I often hear that my cats are more like dogs - they are that social (as long as they live inside). I just put extra pillows around to keep me from rolling on top of one. The coconut oil for mama's nipples was an excellent choice. Keep up the good work - you are doing a fantastic job! :heartshape::heartshape::heartshape:
I'm afraid to sleep with them. I had this kitten named Bean, the whole litter slept with me every night, but one morning I woke up and Bean was dead. My mother says he would've woken me up if I had laid on him, and he was sick when it happened, but my mind still tells me that I squished that poor guy.

which leads me to a question, Bean was sick and he was..leaking this yellow stuff that looked like a diaper had gotten wet, y'know what I mean? He also hadn't been eating. Any idea what that was?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, Darlin, I'm so sorry you lost Bean that way. It coud have been many things, but the most likely things would be giarardia or coccidia (although you'd think the others would have had it, as well), or even possibly some genetic malformation of the digestive tract somewhere. And that, NO ONE could foresee, or probably have corrected at his age.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Condolences on the horrible loss of Bean. I agree that it well could have been giardia or cociddia. As for rolling on them, you can put a low-lipped box with a folded towel next to your pillow for them to use as a cat bed. ( A 30-count water bottle "flat" should fit most of them). As an extra precaution, you can use rolled towels, blankets or pillows propped against you to keep you from unconsciously rolling on one.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bean had a sibling that got it first. His was worse, as his entire anus had become swollen. It was just a constant leak of this diarrhea. I believe it was Merlin, a cat I just adopted out, who is the happiest cat I've ever seen. I don't know why Merlin made it and Bean didn't.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of the kittens, the smallest of them all, is sick. She sits in a corner all day, she only eats from her mother, and her bottom is swollen like I just described Merlin's. There is some kind of discharge, but it isn't the yellowish diarrhea.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's cold to the touch, shaking, and she now has that same thick, yellow discharge. She won't eat, I tried mama, a bowl, and a syringe.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
HALLLLLPPPPPP SHE'S GOING DOWN QUICKLY PLSSS HELLOPPOSOANDHJX MEENENDDICH

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try giving her a bit of honey to give her some energy. Make sure she has a heat source.

See if she stabilizes with some warmth and blood sugar. She will need to get to a vet asap for medication. She likely has a parasite.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can try giving her a bit of honey to give her some energy. Make sure she has a heat source.

See if she stabilizes with some warmth and blood sugar. She will need to get to a vet asap for medication. She likely has a parasite.
We gave her some honey. My mom is holding her under a blanket, maybe I could put a heating pad on low under her.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It sounds like fading kitten syndrome.

Fading Kitten Syndrome: 11 Things You Need To Know

@Sarthur2 anything she can do here?

Lil Dude Lil Dude the kittens really need to be seen by a vet. Without antibiotics and proper care their URI will get worse and worse and you may lose them all.

You've had some donations to your GoFundMe account, could you use some of that money to pay for the vet? I know it's supposed to be for food, but medical care is more urgent right now. We can all help you out a little more through your Amazon Wish List in the future, but we need to get the kittens through this first of all.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she is waiting to be able to access the money. My understanding is that the vet will need a debit card for her to pay. I could be wrong because I am not familiar with accounts like that so any info from others here would be great!I have not heard yet this morning but the sick kitten was being kept warm being held by foster mom all night.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: Prayers and vibes that the little kitten responds well to treatment! Thank you for letting us know that the little one survived the night. Warmth, hydration and keeping the blood sugar elevated are key to survival....:angel:
I am willing to bet that the vet hospital will be impressed at the competent care that the kitten was given!! LilDude really is proactive at getting herself educated and then following through with the advice that she is given.