My Foster Adventure

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay honey. I just sent you a few nickels. ;)
I hope it helps.
I've got lots of name ideas.
What kind of names do you like? Cute names or people names?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay honey. I just sent you a few nickels. ;)
I hope it helps.
I've got lots of name ideas.
What kind of names do you like? Cute names or people names?
I like names that aren't like..all that common. I just pick names that fit their personalities, but you can't really know if you haven't met them, y'know? Like, I have Todore and Eugenia and like..old people names.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it's hard to know what names you would like. I just use names that I would have used if I had kids, on my cats. Demi was supposed to be a girl though.
You might like British names, if you like the more old fashioned names.
What about Bronwen or Bronwyn?
I went to school with a girl with that name. I always liked it. :)

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it's hard to know what names you would like. I just use names that I would have used if I had kids, on my cats. Demi was supposed to be a girl though.
You might like British names, if you like the more old fashioned names.
What about Bronwen or Bronwyn?
I went to school with a girl with that name. I always liked it. :)
I use this high pitched voice to call the cats, they're very responsive to it. It's gonna be really hard to screech Bronwyn in that voice, but I do like the name.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If the kittens have teeth, they might be able to lap KMR out of saucers. That will help mom quite a bit.
If you pm me your mailing address, I can send some amazon stuff your way -- pate wet food, kmr, non-clumping cat litter.. low-sided litter box.
Temp litter boxes for kittens can be the aluminum baking pans from dollar tree.
I fostered a mom and 6 kittens about 12 years ago. I kept Kiki and gave the kittens back to the shelter to adopt out.
Donated to your GoFundMe and shared on my Facebook page.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the kittens have teeth, they might be able to lap KMR out of saucers. That will help mom quite a bit.
If you pm me your mailing address, I can send some amazon stuff your way -- pate wet food, kmr, non-clumping cat litter.. low-sided litter box.
Temp litter boxes for kittens can be the aluminum baking pans from dollar tree.
I fostered a mom and 6 kittens about 12 years ago. I kept Kiki and gave the kittens back to the shelter to adopt out.
Donated to your GoFundMe and shared on my Facebook page.
I have been giving it to them from a saucer. This morning, someone tried to climb in and it tipped over. So they ate it off of the floor, but they didn't complain about it. Mama drank what was left in the saucer. The milk replacer is some Walmart brand and I'm not sure if that's like..bad for them or not? But I'll PM you now, thanks for helping.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
They are precious...we hopefully can find homes for the little ones in 2 months...its best they stay with mom until 12 weeks to learn social rules...but you probably already know that...

For names i like unusual names...or what they look like. Both my girls look like a honeybee for one and the other a jackolanter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They're not swollen or anything like that. I think she may just be really sore.
I'll bet she is, that's a LOT of kittens. And I'll also bet that the shelter did get her to foster some orphans. Bless her.

Just checked my bank account, and had a tiny bit more than I thought. Sent it to you via GoFundMe. Wish it could have been more.

OH, syringes. The plunger should pull out of the barrel, so you can wash that separately. That will help keep it from sticking.

And Mama would certainly be all the better from a little kmr herself!

Bless you for taking this on. I've been frantic about those babies since I heard about them. HUGS! Lots of them.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll bet she is, that's a LOT of kittens. And I'll also bet that the shelter did get her to foster some orphans. Bless her.

Just checked my bank account, and had a tiny bit more than I thought. Sent it to you via GoFundMe. Wish it could have been more.

OH, syringes. The plunger should pull out of the barrel, so you can wash that separately. That will help keep it from sticking.

And Mama would certainly be all the better from a little kmr herself!

Bless you for taking this on. I've been frantic about those babies since I heard about them. HUGS! Lots of them.
Mama got some KMR, she's still crying whenever they eat. I guess I shouldn't have expected an instant fix from some milk.

Thank you for the donation. These cats will be very spoiled babies.

Lil Dude

Cat Enthusiast
Adult Cat
Purraise
Screenshot_20180821-191518_Instagram.jpg

I saw this on Insta and thought it was hilarious, had to share. (If you don't get it, it's a clip of a guy saying "it's free real estate". Millennial humor)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, Lil Dude, for taking the kitty family on!
What have you tried on mama cat's nipples so far? She is probably in great pain and because of the anxiety caused to the kittens during their shelter stay, the kittens are doing more comfort nursing than usual. Patience on your part will be key now, especially when you are having disrupted sleep, because they will be keen to hone in on any nervous energy. Cats have remarkable situational awareness (much more so than dogs, and more like horses' SA) and will rely on your cues. You could also try offering them some pate thinned with KMR (or a homemade goat formula) and you can try binding the mom's snack bar with a piece of large T-shirt sleeve from a long-sleeved TShirt, if she will tolerate it.
Also, don't you have a mentor who helped you rescue the kittens? That mentor probably has some good ideas and if this family is not a good fit, might be able to exchange another mom & kitties that won't be so high-maintenance.