My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's really pretty. In fact, doesn't she have a touch of BJ markings? Maybe she took a DNA and came looking for her dad. Or uncle. Or brother. :catman:

The flea collar does suggest owners. I hope you can find them. :crossfingers:
I think she looks like BJ too. Black nose and coloring. If she is related, I hope she doesn’t have FIV. I really hope she has a family!!!
It will be cold tonight so I left her food and a place she could go but I was late going out. I had a small issue here early this morning. Thankfully the sound woke me up.
50C18EA0-2133-48C9-9D29-292AC2716450.jpeg

That’s from flames!! It didn’t stay going long but scared me and the kitties. I’ll look for the other kitty tomorrow.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
surya surya Have you tried peanut butter on toast? It’s really good! It melts into the toast and is yummy. Just a tip, lentils and rice are a good sustitue for meat dishes. Stewed chicken added to two cans of cream of chicken soup ( not thinned) and poured into a pie shell, topped with another pie shell and baked to cook shell makes scrumptious pot pie. You can add any veggie or seasoning you like but it goes a long way. Especially good when it’s cold out. :crazy:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like peanut butter on toast, topped with shredded carrot and raisins.

If you're looking for low cost protein there's nothing better than beans and corn, eaten together. They have complementary amino acids so between the two have all 9 amino acids that we cannot manufacture in our bodies. That makes them an inexpensive source for complete protein.

I just cooked a batch of Goya small red beans. Turned some into soup (puree some of the cooked beans, add to broth with more beans, carrots, celery, etc) and serve with homemade cornmeal muffins.

Or make chili with beans and a small amount of meat, and serve with corn tortillas.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she looks like BJ too. Black nose and coloring. If she is related, I hope she doesn’t have FIV. I really hope she has a family!!!
It will be cold tonight so I left her food and a place she could go but I was late going out. I had a small issue here early this morning. Thankfully the sound woke me up. View attachment 274268
That’s from flames!! It didn’t stay going long but scared me and the kitties. I’ll look for the other kitty tomorrow.
Yikes what happened??

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay. Now I want cornbread! I put some creamed corn into the batter which makes it moist and highly flavored! I also like to make my own butter- no salt ever needed. Yummy. The cats will follow me around for a taste of that. Having this many follow you can be really funny. It’s hard to eat that way though.

kittyluv387 kittyluv387 and dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1

First, the kitties are jumpy but okay. Yikes is right! I’m not exactly sure what happened. I was asleep when a boom noise woke me up. That’ll get you up quicker than a cup of coffee! I would think it was just an electrical short but the noise that woke me was more like a very small explosion. Then I did hear , what seemed to be a buzzing of an electrical short. There is a window to that room and I saw a poof of flame and and cats running. I got it out quickly. The wall is scorched and that recent paint job is shot but otherwise it seems to be okay. I have some repairs to do and some checking of the wiring to be done so for now everything is shut down. Naturally tonight is going to be cold and the cats want to go in there but ....:frustrated: (wait, after today, they may not want to go in there!)

There is an electrical outlet on that wall that is an outdoor type outlet with a metal plate and hinged covers over the actual outlets themselves. It all seemed to come from the top of that because one half is scorched below the other scorch marks. When I opened the top cover it was all black. The bottom is unmarked. No electrical odor but maybe the cover had something to do with that. It’s all on a breaker but the breaker did not trip off so......shrugging my shoulders until the outlet is taken out of the wall to look inside. I’m hoping it’s just the outlet.

If you want a giggle... this is what could have happened.
Somebody dumped another kitty! Then I reacted. :livid::fuming::angryfire::cloudy:Lol :flail:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The story for tonight on the feral front.
A little cat speak. From Whistle to Purry.

If I give you a kiss, can we snuggle and share the blanket?
46758E13-94EC-4D94-A829-F8BFE2515EC0.jpeg

What? No? Don’t put your ears back Purry!
0033C851-A521-421F-90B4-2FB252495FEF.jpeg

Ahhh. Please?!?!? Don’t back away.
865955C6-ED15-4B66-A536-C9FE09D5172D.jpeg

I give up. I’m just going to stare at the blanket until you feel sorry for me and leave.
B4DFA805-8B98-4CFB-9BA9-4D6FD0F4E564.jpeg

Heh! It works every time!
5883D0C5-F025-4F20-93AC-13C686B5E0DA.jpeg

Cats! :lol:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That’s from flames!! It didn’t stay going long but scared me and the kitties.
Scary. So glad you and the kitties are safe. And that you were home, and woke up, when it happened. Hope it's an easy fix and repair.

If you're looking for low cost protein there's nothing better than beans and corn, eaten together. They have complementary amino acids so between the two have all 9 amino acids that we cannot manufacture in our bodies. That makes them an inexpensive source for complete protein.
Another quick, easy and inexpensive protein source is beans and rice. I can usually get a can of beans for 99 cents or less. Then add rice and some seasoning (i.e. cumin with black beans) and you get a few healthy meals. Throw in some veggies, and even healthier.

Those peanut butter sandwiches are complete protein meals too, btw. :yummy:

Are you vegetarian, C catapault ? I am, as are some other TCS members.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rubysmama, I am an omnivore. Do enjoy cooking (and consuming) a broad variety of food, both meat and vegetables.

If you cook beans from scratch - dried beans - you can portion when done and then freeze. A one pound package of beans is generally between $1 and $2 and will make a lot. I usually cook half a package for the two of us and have enough for 2 meals, so 4 portions. Cook the whole package and you are set for multiple meals. But a package of uncooked beans forgotten in the cupboard for a year or two becomes so dried out that you can cook and cook, and cook, and they never soften up. So I usually date the packages when I get them home to avoid mishaps.

One grain I haven't seen mentioned here is kasha, buckwheat groats. Toss the grains with a beaten raw egg until well coated. Cook in a dry pan, stirring constantly, until the grains are separated. Add carrots, celery, onion diced small and sauteed before combining with kasha. Add broth and simmer over low heat until grains are cooked. Finish with farfalinni (small bowtie pasta) cooked separately. Last time I made this I also added a mushroom medley I had made late last summer and froze in portions - portobello, shiitake, and two I foraged - hen of the woods and chicken of the woods.

If this is tl; dr please excuse me. And I am derailing this thread. If not O.K. where should I put things like this instead. TIA for the help.

Catapault, cat keeper to Mr Poe and Domino

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C catapault actually, people feeding lots of ferals often stick to a budget with everything ,including making meals. Food for feral rescuers is important too! I’m glad to have the replies about juggling both so it does kind of tie in here. However, if you want a lot of cooking conversations, I think there is a cooking thread. If you can’t find one, you could start one! Cooking for cat owners ! Or Budget your meals for cat owners! Just make sure people know these are human meals. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.