My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Maria Bayote Maria Bayote Maria Bayote Maria Bayote Lady thanks you! She’s got the softest fur. I love her floof fur. Lol How are things there?
I had been busy with the moving. Although it has been weeks there seems to be still a lot to tidy up. I don’t know why a small apartment could require a lot of work. LOL.

My husband converted the kitchen mini balcony into a catio and yesterday was their first day enjoying it. It still needs some additional stuff like something for them to climb on to. But atleast for now my Bourbon especially can breathe fresh air even if its just a tiny space, since she is the one with asthma. I will try to send photos when done.

Here is Graham just to make you guys smile a bit:
35FC4CDA-5567-480A-8171-B8D4501EB4AA.jpeg

And Bourbon. She just looks like a grumpy lady, but is actually very sweet:

9D74EAC8-30E7-4F17-87FB-8B6B8E03402C.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maria Bayote Maria Bayote Graham honey! Lolololol Love the pose! I smiled more than a bit. Laughed a lot!
Bourbon has beautiful eyes! Not grumpy, just penetrating. Hooman, I send my thoughts to you! More pets and much feeding! Lol
Moving is always tough! I am glad it’s nearly done for you. Looking forward to more pics!

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 Beautiful and lucky timing on the rescue of the flowers. Nice botanical print behind them too! I’m glad Gypsy reminded you. What would we do without kitty help. I keep finding post it notes around here. They say,” Don’t forget the treats.” I wouldn’t dare! Lol
That’s sad that the old garden got chopped. Maybe it will rebound.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been trying to keep Pawpurr company lately. I took a toy over for our play date. Pawpurr is very picky about what toys she will approve.

A tunnel?
EE674CC6-E8E0-47FE-8E92-082B928D5440.jpeg

Hmmmm...
AB21C262-9C00-47D1-91E6-E80E2D5E15E3.jpeg

It’s just my size.
7A7F5DBF-C00E-4276-A002-E1D089989FE5.jpeg

Ohhhh! It’s springy!
71AA6496-AE40-4FB5-A9DD-B000037FF8F6.jpeg

There are toys on this toy!
252BB455-4587-4750-8DB2-A1C93B611423.jpeg

Ah! It rolls!
6D60329C-721D-4375-9D77-6185456831BC.jpeg

Hey! It spit me out after it rolled! Dizzy now! Is that what a bug feels like when I catch it?
C0163B6E-7EBC-497E-B5E4-429BCBBF2858.jpeg

I can crawl all the way through.
EE55B839-6514-486C-B752-B0D7CC2861C4.jpeg

I can see out the other side now.
EE9B624F-8412-418C-AFF0-5D7FE149EC9F.jpeg

If my head is at this end....
A897B8A3-E2BE-42CD-9532-38B55327329D.jpeg

Where is my tail?
00AAE30C-1575-4D3D-9B42-48070DFD2922.jpeg

I can make it smaller if I push the spring down!
A252C337-C929-4BCF-9B89-3C2A493A3723.jpeg

Must find my tail!
1EAB45DE-FE00-4483-9497-B5835AB767D5.jpeg

Can you see it hooman?
2DD36EFB-E48E-4F93-97A5-9D402944E5B2.jpeg

I feel a draft on my bum!
F081E5B7-F42F-4DFB-BEBE-DC86B5FF776C.jpeg

I can pretend to be a caterpillar!
D592B2D6-929B-4DB8-9436-ABF1962839F7.jpeg

Ha! This is cool but...

A0364615-DF19-46E7-A0D1-2D8E534F2FB2.jpeg

I think I am getting tunnel vision!
BB5484C3-6A88-4EAB-B62C-911FA8EF4F4F.jpeg

Join me hooman? More tunnel vision!’
B06A5665-AC0D-4396-A227-2822EC65286B.jpeg

A hahahahahahaha! I like it!!!!!
FF2C2CA2-F18D-40D7-B722-972CF6CA1D5E.jpeg

It was a very good play date! This toy has the Pawpurr seal of approval!
:greenpaw::gingercat:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama I am wondering if the soil here just isn’t right for those seeds. Maybe it’s climate though. Maybe they would sprout in the greenhouse? Kind of weird question but... what does your dirt look like?:lol:
What does my dirt look like? Hmmm... I'd say regular dirt, but as people who garden know, there is different types of dirt. That particular garden is new, so has mostly bagged topsoil I bought from a garden centre, which must come from compost, as sometimes you get small woody pieces mixed in with the soil. Generally our soil tends to be acidic, which means the flowers of some hydrangeas turn blue, instead of pink, so wonder if that acidity helps with the blue Forget Me Nots.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know he wasn't out chasin' it
Hee hee. Funny how our mind goes there when talking about men. Need to find one that chases only me! 🏃‍♂️

That’s not drool, it’s kitty sugar from a faucet.
Ewww! 🤭

his vehicle had broken down. He managed to get almost home but drove into the ditch behind my place.
He was in the ditch for 24 hours?! Dang. Glad he's okay. 😲

what does your dirt look like?:lol:
Say what?! A girly girl princess like me does not understand this question. 🤣

Oh I can definitely get you interested in flowers and plants! Vegetarian! Growing something and eating it straight from the garden!
Yes, you did try to tell me the connection between my veggies & flowers. I guess I need a few more lessons. 🌻🥦

On a gloomy, rainy day I bet it was like a light against everything.
Keep shining that light please, maybe it will guide a wayward soul in (or out?). ⛅;)

Beautiful and lucky timing on the rescue
Yes, it's all about the timing, isn't it? Try the rescue again next month?...;)

I keep finding post it notes around here. They say,” Don’t forget the treats.”
Ha! Let me guess, Banjo did it...:bicolorcat:

I feel a draft on my bum!
Too much info! :lol:

A hahahahahahaha! I like it!!!!!
Hmmm...Is Pawpurr related to Prints? He likes everything...:cloud9:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What does my dirt look like? Hmmm... I'd say regular dirt, but as people who garden know, there is different types of dirt. That particular garden is new, so has mostly bagged topsoil I bought from a garden centre, which must come from compost, as sometimes you get small woody pieces mixed in with the soil. Generally our soil tends to be acidic, which means the flowers of some hydrangeas turn blue, instead of pink, so wonder if that acidity helps with the blue Forget Me Nots.
Our 'soil' here is mostly a reddish clay that takes on the characteristics of concrete in the summer. We have only been gardening to any extent for the last 7 or 8 years, and numerous applications of perlite, compost, bagged manure, and garden soil have raised it to passable. From all the cinders dumped over the years from a coal-fired furnace, the soil is also acid, so lime has been mixed in as well.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird There are those LifeAlert systems that can be lifesaving (if pretty expensive). And all modern vehicles that I know of have GPS/trackers in them for just that reason. Also, there is OnStar system in some vehicles, for the same purpose. And if he has his cell phone with him and it's turned on, if it has service where he is, they can ping the phone to find out his general location. Does he have dementia at all? It is very, very concerning that so many people, of whatever age/ability, live alone...which is one big reason why, even with the drawbacks, I feel good having my roomies here. They couldn't find their way out of a brown paper bag, but at least their presence makes me feel a little better. I definitely don't want another relationship! but this is workable for me. Most of us are really so vulnerable. It's not a good feeling. But when we try to look in on each other and take an interest in each other without being all up in each other's business, it's helpful.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, living alone is no fun. Michele's father lived alone for 3 years after her mother died. They lived out in the country, well back from the road. One Labor Day, a bunch of us were doing some housecleaning when I noticed a cracked window. I took out the sash and measured the glass for replacement, then left the sash in the outer entry. After work the next day, I got a new pane and took it out to the house. His car was there, and the door was unlocked, so I grabbed the sash and installed the new pane. When I went to put it back in, the inner door wouldn't open all the way. I looked in and he was laying on the floor. He was cold and lividity showed that he had been dead for several hours. That is not an end that I would choose for myself.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, living alone is no fun. Michele's father lived alone for 3 years after her mother died. They lived out in the country, well back from the road. One Labor Day, a bunch of us were doing some housecleaning when I noticed a cracked window. I took out the sash and measured the glass for replacement, then left the sash in the outer entry. After work the next day, I got a new pane and took it out to the house. His car was there, and the door was unlocked, so I grabbed the sash and installed the new pane. When I went to put it back in, the inner door wouldn't open all the way. I looked in and he was laying on the floor. He was cold and lividity showed that he had been dead for several hours. That is not an end that I would choose for myself.
I'm very sorry for your family's loss. I tend to look at things differently from some and pragmatically/logically. Everyone leaves this world "alone" except for those who are in mass killings/war situations. And our souls leave their "houses" so we do not need our physical structures any more. If he had a good life and was loved, he had more than most living beings ever have on this earth. He definitely had caring relatives!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maria Bayote Maria Bayote It did! She inspected every inch of it! Spring loaded though. Lol

rubysmama rubysmama Acidic. Maybe that’s it. I need to plant them in the back yard where the soil is different. Sarah’s garden is rich black dirt and probably a bit on the sweet side. The rest of the front is very sandy with little nitrogen. The carnivorous plants live there. Thanks! That may be the key.

M maggiedemi A Princess could enjoy the sweet scent of flowers from the dirt. AKA the stuff under your feet when you walk outside.:lol:

He wasn’t in the ditch the whole time, just towards the end. I think he got in the ditch after , finally, getting the car started again but being so dehydrated and tired ,he missed his turn off in the dark. Thank goodness he made it that far! We got his cat out of the ditch. No apparent damage.

Rescues can happen any time!;)

I don’t know if Prints is related to Pawpurr. It’s possible though.

I don’t know who leaves the post it notes. They aren’t signed.:lol::bluepaw:
Banjo would probably just order them herself. :bicolorcat::geekcat:Lol

N NY cat man I have had red clay before too. Aaaarrrgggh! You have built up some good stuff though! I have one area that is built up and protected from washing away. Lots of sand here!
Living alone is tough. I have done it a lot. When I lost Sarah that kind of cemented being alone. I find many things to do though and now the kitties help. Maybe one day I will find a roomie who won’t mind 28 cats? Lolol

I am so sorry that you experienced that with Michelle’s Dad. He may have been by himself at the end but as stated, it’s much more about going with love. Knowing you have that is the best comfort we can give. He knew. I would hope to know that I had love at the end.

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I did get a life alert system for another friend through a government program. I don’t know if I can get it for him or if he would accept it. His car is pretty old. I don’t have any idea about a GPS on it but I know he does not have Onstar. He can barely use a flip phone so...
My thought was that the police would best know how to locate him. I believe there is some privacy law about the GPS. I am not family either. I’d like to get him a smart phone with location app but he would not understand how to use the phone. I keep trying to teach him but he just isn’t interested. Stubborn and prizes his independence. I understand but maybe this experience will shift his attitude a little. All of this is actually why I check in on him so often. Thank goodness! I don’t know if anyone else would have realized he was missing if I hadn’t called them. In a way, the link with Pawpurr made me more aware so Pawpurr saved him. The rescue cat rescued.
I am glad you have your roomies. I do worry about living alone sometimes. Twice I have been injured and without human help for a little while. Once my dog saved me and once a friend checked in on me. It’s awfully nice to know that friends do keep track. Mostly I want someone to come in case the kitties need them. As you said, we are just here for a time and we do move out of our “house” eventually.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maria Bayote Maria Bayote It did! She inspected every inch of it! Spring loaded though. Lol

rubysmama rubysmama Acidic. Maybe that’s it. I need to plant them in the back yard where the soil is different. Sarah’s garden is rich black dirt and probably a bit on the sweet side. The rest of the front is very sandy with little nitrogen. The carnivorous plants live there. Thanks! That may be the key.

M maggiedemi A Princess could enjoy the sweet scent of flowers from the dirt. AKA the stuff under your feet when you walk outside.:lol:

He wasn’t in the ditch the whole time, just towards the end. I think he got in the ditch after , finally, getting the car started again but being so dehydrated and tired ,he missed his turn off in the dark. Thank goodness he made it that far! We got his cat out of the ditch. No apparent damage.

Rescues can happen any time!;)

I don’t know if Prints is related to Pawpurr. It’s possible though.

I don’t know who leaves the post it notes. They aren’t signed.:lol::bluepaw:
Banjo would probably just order them herself. :bicolorcat::geekcat:Lol

N NY cat man I have had red clay before too. Aaaarrrgggh! You have built up some good stuff though! I have one area that is built up and protected from washing away. Lots of sand here!
Living alone is tough. I have done it a lot. When I lost Sarah that kind of cemented being alone. I find many things to do though and now the kitties help. Maybe one day I will find a roomie who won’t mind 28 cats? Lolol

I am so sorry that you experienced that with Michelle’s Dad. He may have been by himself at the end but as stated, it’s much more about going with love. Knowing you have that is the best comfort we can give. He knew. I would hope to know that I had love at the end.

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I did get a life alert system for another friend through a government program. I don’t know if I can get it for him or if he would accept it. His car is pretty old. I don’t have any idea about a GPS on it but I know he does not have Onstar. He can barely use a flip phone so...
My thought was that the police would best know how to locate him. I believe there is some privacy law about the GPS. I am not family either. I’d like to get him a smart phone with location app but he would not understand how to use the phone. I keep trying to teach him but he just isn’t interested. Stubborn and prizes his independence. I understand but maybe this experience will shift his attitude a little. All of this is actually why I check in on him so often. Thank goodness! I don’t know if anyone else would have realized he was missing if I hadn’t called them. In a way, the link with Pawpurr made me more aware so Pawpurr saved him. The rescue cat rescued.
I am glad you have your roomies. I do worry about living alone sometimes. Twice I have been injured and without human help for a little while. Once my dog saved me and once a friend checked in on me. It’s awfully nice to know that friends do keep track. Mostly I want someone to come in case the kitties need them. As you said, we are just here for a time and we do move out of our “house” eventually.
I prefer living with my cats and no humans to the alternative; but this is a symbiotic relationship and it works pretty well, though there are times I wish they were not here. Our agreement was that they would be here summer and winter, and spring and autumn in Japan. But then COVID happened. IDK what it will be in the future as we are far from "over" the pandemic, though some would like to act as if that was so.
That's the problem with people who stop learning! I can understand having dementia would make that fairly improbable, but if not, I don't understand why people just refuse, and leave everything in someone else's lap. And to be honest, I don't have sympathy for them. Getting a simple cell phone through one of the services like Consumer Cellular, which is low-cost and geared toward older people, shouldn't be that difficult. It could save his life. But it's up to him. I had someone like that in my life, not that old either, but he just refused to take responsibility for anything in his life, and became so argumentative and hostile that I finally just stopped all comm with him. Life is too valuable to waste on people who won't help themselves.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A small patch of my forget me nots. They are spreading like crazy. There are even some that sprouted up this year that are 10 feet away from the original planting, they are in with my blue columbines so they look really pretty.

View attachment 382792
SO beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us!

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
@pearl99 Hi! How are things there? You have Forget me nots too? I’m going to have to keep trying on thise! Lol
Things are good, I've been gardening/planting like crazy all the things I bought the last couple of weeks. And birding a LOT while the migrants are coming through.
I know forget-me-nots like some moisture, some shade, and not too much heat.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking of moving on, my family is here for my Step moms memorial. Finally we can gather for her. My Dad is just now well enough to make the trip. It’s been 6 months. I will be posting but probably earlier than usual on some days. I want to spend as much time as possible with the family while they are here. It’s been four years since my Dad last got to come to my house. I’ve only seen him when I made the trip to his home and that’s tough for me to do. He’s going to get lots of hugs! Anyway, I’ll be here as I can even if it is to say, “Can’t be here tonight!” Lol

I got the cat room back in order just in time. Thrasher is going to have to waita little longer since I will not be able to supervise every minute but she is really enjoying the one on one nights. She gives the very best back rubs!:lol: Four paw biscuit making on my back every night feels so sweet!

Welcome back to the cat room kitties! I hope you enjoy being back!

Straight to the catio!
9494EF0C-0A5A-48DA-9B7B-059F8036EEE0.jpeg

New place to play!
7B9F8360-DA26-40F6-9906-FFBDEBBB8E7B.jpeg

More hooman!
760EA1D0-0599-4236-9B8A-E25F49E12920.jpeg

Wow! What should we do first? The catio or stare out the door and hunt Froggies?!?!?
9CACC57C-CA5B-4A19-BEDB-CF490D6F9A5B.jpeg

Oops! I forgot the new carriers.
2CBF2F9B-BAD4-4B69-9504-E9FD2E59332E.jpeg

Heh! Everyone followed me to see what’s new. Ah! A new place for Banjo to hide my keys! Lolol
AB1724C4-9AA3-471C-942C-419A70A9B726.jpeg

BJ! How’s the view from up there?
A7E6B2A9-EEA2-49F7-81C2-A0C05A4FDC27.jpeg

Lol One cat coming down and another waiting to go up! Your turn Lady!
6E57BB93-784F-4D06-BF1A-B773B1723DE1.jpeg

Looks like I need a little more weather stripping. No? Well Banjo..... we really can’t have a Froggie door. You’ll just have to call Froggie to let him know you’re back.
E5B081F8-F9F2-4033-9A61-D2B478B89521.jpeg

It’s so nice to see the kitties having fun.
D30CB0AA-008E-4B91-A03E-E98BC17A6CB3.jpeg

Still have to move a few things. Lol The kitties pointed that out to me.
556F30D4-D0EF-4A67-85F9-3164BDDCA39F.jpeg

Banjo! Froggie isn’t there yet! Lol
20F170B4-60DE-41B3-A3C1-C05587E7BA95.jpeg

The catio give a higher view out the window. It also puts a wire barrier between a Lady and Kodiak. Lol Hisses still work through it though.
2DFF361E-64F4-4658-AA34-FD7BBC2E561C.jpeg

My goodness everyone is excited!
4F3538C9-9F51-4D48-9BC0-674A08B4A97E.jpeg

Lady, there is a spot for you both now.
4A9CA9EA-989C-461F-87CD-625BA417CF59.jpeg

Whistle and Mackie investigating.
59EA1EAB-FF00-46CF-9DAD-B0BB35CB3826.jpeg

Whistle still loves this location.
73747D54-8CAC-482A-BEB7-F51697D78BE7.jpeg

Purry joins the group.
A4A32504-733F-4FCA-B236-6AC157E5ACD2.jpeg

Soooo everyone claim your place.
0DBE3152-C0AB-47C6-8CD5-5C25E0FA6F55.jpeg

Whoa! Lady didn’t waste any time. Napping in the catio cave.
5BD6D8C8-6A2A-49F7-A979-D774FAC98C8D.jpeg

Well Banjo! I thought you were in a hurry to call Froggie?!?
No worries hooman. I ordered something so I could leave him a message.
7ADE287B-C666-4C0D-8969-A844147FE99A.jpeg

Cat room open again. Waiting for my Prince!
4E569166-16AB-4F6A-9A39-F7E2C746998E.jpeg

Lol I’m pretty sure he’ll see that!

Status
Not open for further replies.