My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dealing with 4+ inches of rain now.
Do you think the infection came from the rising water? I read about flood waters contaminating vegetables. :eek2:

My helped is stranded elsewhere right now too.
Oh no. I sent you some prayers, but I guess it takes a while to work?....:( I'll keep trying. 🧚‍♀️

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
How I empathize, jefferd18 jefferd18 as EVERY cat is loved by me and I've done trapping in the past. Are they going to be returned to their original location, adopted out, or ???
No, they are not going to be returned- the employees at Hoods have already threaten to shoot them. I am hoping that they will be adopted out. I have no idea what the vet will do- probably dump them in the woods or euthanize them. I am very angry right now over the whole thing- I didn't do those cats any favors.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, they are not going to be returned- the employees at Hoods have already threaten to shoot them. I am hoping that they will be adopted out. I have no idea what the vet will do- probably dump them in the woods or euthanize them. I am very angry right now over the whole thing- I didn't do those cats any favors.
You might want to remind these cretins that it is a FELONY to harm ANY CAT in the US. Sorry if I'm repeating myself -- I work the equivalent of a full-time job every day in cat advocacy plus my offline life -- but have you tried contacting Alley Cat Allies, Best Friends Animal Society, and/or any local rescues and/or sanctuaries?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to remind these cretins that it is a FELONY to harm ANY CAT in the US. Sorry if I'm repeating myself -- I work the equivalent of a full-time job every day in cat advocacy plus my offline life -- but have you tried contacting Alley Cat Allies, Best Friends Animal Society, and/or any local rescues and/or sanctuaries?

Trust me, these assclowns and myself have gone at it before. Most sanctuaries in my state, like Open Doors, have a nauseating long waiting list. I hate to say it, but most organizations don't look at feral cats in the same way as the people on this site do. I can keep calling around and maybe somebody knows an individual who can take some cats in. I can't help but feel that I let these cats down. :(

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trust me, these assclowns and myself have gone at it before. Most sanctuaries in my state, like Open Doors, have a nauseating long waiting list. I hate to say it, but most organizations don't look at feral cats in the same way as the people on this site do. I can keep calling around and maybe somebody knows an individual who can take some cats in. I can't help but feel that I let these cats down. :(
Getting them basical medical is NOT letting them down. You can't do what isn't possible. We have not reached our goal yet. Every life lost tears a lot of our hearts out, as does every full cage. But we can't allow ourselves to get bogged down. I was able to get TWELVE! semi-ferals into care when I desperately needed to. Don't give up. Best Friends has affiliated partners in every US State now. Alley Cat Allies is global now. It's a matter of finding the right entity. Not easy, I know, especially with ferals and especially now that kitten season is starting in so many areas. IDK where you are, but something could open up for them. Guessing you may be near Springfield, MO and this is what google brings up for the vicinity:
feral cat sanctuaries in or near Springfield, MO - Google Search

Last edited:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting them basical medical is NOT letting them down. You can't do what isn't possible. We have not reached our goal yet. Every life lost tears a lot of our hearts out, as does every full cage. But we can't allow ourselves to get bogged down. I was able to get TWELVE! semi-ferals into care when I desperately needed to. Don't give up. Best Friends has affiliated partners in every US State now. Alley Cat Allies is global now. It's a matter of finding the right entity. Not easy, I know, especially with ferals and especially now that kitten season is starting in so many areas. IDK where you are, but something could open up for them. Guessing you may be near Springfield, MO and this is what google brings up for the vicinity:
feral cat sanctuaries in or near Springfield, MO - Google Search

No, its not, and I am glad that the one cat was able to get his foot healed up. I just want this vet to take it across the finish line this time, and not try to squirm out of his end of the bargain. The techs over there are already telling me how mean those two toms are. They are not mean!- they are just scared out of their minds.

Thank you. I didn't know that Alley Cat and Best Friends were in every state. I am actually four hours north of Springsfield, but I can drive down there.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, its not, and I am glad that the one cat was able to get his foot healed up. I just want this vet to take it across the finish line this time, and not try to squirm out of his end of the bargain. The techs over there are already telling me how mean those two toms are. They are not mean!- they are just scared out of their minds.

Thank you. I didn't know that Alley Cat and Best Friends were in every state. I am actually four hours north of Springsfield, but I can drive down there.
Hormones that can exacerbate the urge to fight/compete are reduced in time after neutering. Vet should know that. Putting an intact tom into confinement just makes them more frustrated and angry (as it would just about anyone, but all the more so, a cat. In the wild, a male cat's territory may be several square miles!)
Yeah, might be a possibility that someone in your general vicinity will have room for your guys. Worth a try.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Hormones that can exacerbate the urge to fight/compete are reduced in time after neutering. Vet should know that. Putting an intact tom into confinement just makes them more frustrated and angry (as it would just about anyone, but all the more so, a cat. In the wild, a male cat's territory may be several square miles!)
Yeah, might be a possibility that someone in your general vicinity will have room for your guys. Worth a try.

He neuters them right off the bat- before they even get into a cage. The only one he didn't do that with was Inky. For some strange reason he waited three weeks before he neutered him. I honestly don't find either of those cats frightening. The hurt one would hiss and put his ears out to the side (signaling fear), when I approached him in the trap. Neither cat has put his ears flat back. I suspect that I will know soon enough since he usually gives my cats about four weeks.

Never again.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jefferd18 jefferd18 I remember your anger as we went through so much with Inky. I was there in spirit and hope as you battled. I remember your fear and frustration. I know you didn’t intend to take on another cat but then it became just hope that you would be able to get Inky back. I’m spite of the vet, you got Inky. You fought like a tiger to save him. You have amazing strength. Not fair that you feel you need it but you have it if it is needed. We both know what you pulled the kitties away from. Terrible. I don’t know how much I really conveyed in this thread about my fears and battles but they were many and sometimes hope was hard to hold. I did hold it for the kitties. I had little luck at first with calling, texting, emailing to rescue groups or shelters because they were always full. I just kept bugging them. I felt each call would result in an answer of “no!” Then, one day, I got a yes. Call x and I think they might have a spot! Shock!!!! I explained during each call it was life or death for these cats. I begged, pleaded and even cried. I asked for any other person I could call and in the end, things began to turn. I think persisting and making those weekly calls over and over to the same groups just made them take notice, remember my story and finally, maybe they realized I would never give up calling. You can do this. Get the kitties through the vet care , which is a huge plus for rescue groups. Explain the situation clearly and all you saw, had to protect them from and the risks they face now. You only need a few spots. Tell everyone that! Even if it’s relocating to a safe feral life somewhere. Keep pushing! If you need help finding more places to call, post back. Google search should give you choices that you repeat constantly. You’ve come a very long way already. Don’t give up. Do feel free to come back and yell or scream your frustration as often as needed. :redheartpump: We are all pulling for you.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom I know! Lordy! Mushy! :lol:

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 The hatches are battened! Lol
My help won’t be coming back for a couple of days but we’ll get through. I’ve been through much worse. Best to have a boat and NOT need it alright! Lol

M maggiedemi I think the infection probably came from something I’m the soil or water.
Your prayers must have worked though. If they hadn’t I would have missed the infection until it was too late to get help. If I had gone to sleep that night without help, who knows what would have happened. The medicine has kept me kicking. At least one leg! Lol

N NY cat man The water continued to rise but has finally stopped. At least for now. I hoping it drains towards the river. The boat is reassuring! Lol The kitties were prepared though. Smokey is older and wisest though.

The azaleas are getting watered. Blooming nicely!
1C2990C8-41DA-45C7-8B2F-3E62CD011704.jpeg

Fortunately my house is above the water.
0C1295AD-AE0D-4B0B-81EB-BBA9D411A5C0.jpeg

If this view looks familiar to anyone, it’s where I spent time hunting for Kelly and the Gingerbread babies after they vanished. Bj wandered here too.
I
7F82FDE7-8671-4207-9878-670D135DB7A5.jpeg
762BEB92-FFDC-43BF-B7C7-FFD776D4894F.jpeg

The area next to this spot is the place that burned back in October.
EC0D0F8C-E22B-4FC5-B3C0-CCEC0AF1EB90.jpeg

The boat would float here.
B7F2A3D3-7D32-4D5D-A11D-4A1D78D221F0.jpeg

The front yard isn’t quite as bad.
9E4C4BF0-B9E5-4FB1-8E98-0711551D22E1.jpeg
D42429FE-D8EC-4784-BAD6-61B4C0B5CF5B.jpeg

Under the Gingerbread house, the water must have gotten really high last night. I am so very grateful to have gotten in the kitties when I did.
9F734F85-54DD-4152-8A5C-B48C3DB6BB83.jpeg

Taking the trash out wasn’t so bad with extra trash bags around my hurt foot. Bags fit any size foot too! Lol
C910F654-3AD7-4D06-BE37-199FA8DD39C4.jpeg

Lady, I don’t think that box will make a very good boat.
784DC7B7-9CBA-4E68-83A3-212C49180B60.jpeg

Then just hold me Mom!
4377C092-A2EE-4B2A-92EC-AC20CACB095D.jpeg

You tracked water on the floor! We’re not stepping in that! For once, we don’t mind if you mop.
83DE933F-44C3-46F0-8404-4DB6026ED08C.jpeg

Silly young cats! All they need is a good flotation device! I’m not risking getting wet fluff! I was just brushed! :lol:
1B994760-5BAD-4D42-BCCA-AA8E7343DA32.jpeg

Have a great and dry night everyone. :heartshape:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those pictures remind me of when my parents sold our farm and moved us to a (very) small town. The first spring there, we had a boat tied to our back door because the house was surrounded by water, and we couldn't drive through it, so our car was parked on the nearest high ground. That happened every year until the state bought up a bunch of land and built flood control dikes. We still got high water in the spring, but nothing like those first few years.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work the equivalent of a full-time job every day in cat advocacy
Thank you for the work you do. That made me tear up a bit. :hugs:

sometimes hope was hard to hold
I can relate. We just have to hold on to hope & keep trying. ☀

Your prayers must have worked though. If they hadn’t I would have missed the infection until it was too late to get help.
It's a good thing that I started praying for you before you got injured then. Lucky coincidence. :crossfingers:

Lady, I don’t think that box will make a very good boat.
Just box that little Lady up & send her to me. Demi would love her. :vancat:+:dizzycat:=❤

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi You're so very welcome. It's nothing compared to what a lot of TCS members do! But every one of us is needed in this struggle to get those we love safe and cared for. We're making huge strides. We WILL get there -- with every one of us doing his/her bit, large, small, or in between.;)
Jcatbird Jcatbird Have ya thought of charging for public pool usage?:lol: NO? Wrong season? Oh well. Just a thought. 😑 *PRAYERS* that that "something in the soil" is "something" pretty harmless and that the antibiotics will kick it out once and for all. Hope your helper is able to come back soon or that you can get another. Your plate is so full on the best of days! Are those azaleas? So beautiful!
And jefferd18 jefferd18 , Jcatbird said what I was thinking, oh so much more eloquently. It can take a superhuman effort. All can seem lost. But "seem" isn't "is" and well, they are so worth it. When sweet lives are on the line, it's often what it takes to get them safe. DON'T GIVE UP. :vibes::vibes::vibes:;):goodluck::catrub:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
jefferd18 jefferd18 I remember your anger as we went through so much with Inky. I was there in spirit and hope as you battled. I remember your fear and frustration. I know you didn’t intend to take on another cat but then it became just hope that you would be able to get Inky back. I’m spite of the vet, you got Inky. You fought like a tiger to save him. You have amazing strength. Not fair that you feel you need it but you have it if it is needed. We both know what you pulled the kitties away from. Terrible. I don’t know how much I really conveyed in this thread about my fears and battles but they were many and sometimes hope was hard to hold. I did hold it for the kitties. I had little luck at first with calling, texting, emailing to rescue groups or shelters because they were always full. I just kept bugging them. I felt each call would result in an answer of “no!” Then, one day, I got a yes. Call x and I think they might have a spot! Shock!!!! I explained during each call it was life or death for these cats. I begged, pleaded and even cried. I asked for any other person I could call and in the end, things began to turn. I think persisting and making those weekly calls over and over to the same groups just made them take notice, remember my story and finally, maybe they realized I would never give up calling. You can do this. Get the kitties through the vet care , which is a huge plus for rescue groups. Explain the situation clearly and all you saw, had to protect them from and the risks they face now. You only need a few spots. Tell everyone that! Even if it’s relocating to a safe feral life somewhere. Keep pushing! If you need help finding more places to call, post back. Google search should give you choices that you repeat constantly. You’ve come a very long way already. Don’t give up. Do feel free to come back and yell or scream your frustration as often as needed. :redheartpump: We are all pulling for you.

Thank you, Jcatbird, and it is nice seeing you again, my friend. We were worried about you.

Its not hope or even fear that frustrates me in regards to the kitties- it is a complete lack of trust in those that come after me. When it comes to animals I have hard time trusting people to do right by them. I like my vet, I think he is an honorable man, but for some reason I don't trust him or his staff. I guess that stemmed from the Inky experience, but he also rejected one of my cats this winter, after he said he would take two of my cats. I brought in Marco Polo, who is a senior cat going on 13. He took one look at him and said, "no, I can't take him, I wouldn't know who I would place him with." Now Marco has not aged as well as his brother, he is 13 but looks 16. There are no medical problems, he just hasn't aged very well- we all know some people like that. I was kinda of chaffed because he didn't put any stipulations on the kind of cat he would take from me. I wanted to surrender Marco to him because he is very aggressive to my other cats- very. What makes matters worse is that Marco loved everybody over there, they would lie him on his back and he would lay there, purring. However, he's not a very pretty cat. :(

But can you see why I have a hard time trusting this vet?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Jcatbird, and it is nice seeing you again, my friend. We were worried about you.

Its not hope or even fear that frustrates me in regards to the kitties- it is a complete lack of trust in those that come after me. When it comes to animals I have hard time trusting people to do right by them. I like my vet, I think he is an honorable man, but for some reason I don't trust him or his staff. I guess that stemmed from the Inky experience, but he also rejected one of my cats this winter, after he said he would take two of my cats. I brought in Marco Polo, who is a senior cat going on 13. He took one look at him and said, "no, I can't take him, I wouldn't know who I would place him with." Now Marco has not aged as well as his brother, he is 13 but looks 16. There are no medical problems, he just hasn't aged very well- we all know some people like that. I was kinda of chaffed because he didn't put any stipulations on the kind of cat he would take from me. I wanted to surrender Marco to him because he is very aggressive to my other cats- very. What makes matters worse is that Marco loved everybody over there, they would lie him on his back and he would lay there, purring. However, he's not a very pretty cat. :(

But can you see why I have a hard time trusting this vet?
That's so defeatist of him. In my cat advocacy work, I see on an almost daily basis, older, sick, behaviorally challenged, and "not pretty" cats get adopted. I get a lot of info from a lot of cat advocacy people and organizations reinforcing this. Yes, I can certainly empathize. He wants an easy time, and probably needs one, as his line of work is anything but stress-free. But life is a challenge from start to finish for most of us, and personally, I like a challenge, especially where a very, very valuable life can be helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.