My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, if you do the paperwork and get recognized as a rescue, you can list your babies on Petfinder. You do NOT have to allow anyone you feel uncomfortable with to adopt, but you could get them out there in the public eye. Just a thought, Darlin. And you can specify when two (like Whistle and Banjo) need to go together.
:clap::salam::clap2::cheerleader::goldstar:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan Thank you for the encouragement. Since I love children and animals it would be nice to do something for both.
The construction was actually a company returning to correct bad work. They value their company reputation and wanted to correct a serious wrong. I think that is fantastic. It’s nice to find companies that care. I think my AC is finally working. We are trying it out now.!
I really did have an adventure. Not one I would have chosen but all ended well. In fact maybe I can make some good come out of it. Besides reclaiming Banjo I would like to see security added for the employees of the rental company. More on that later though. I am to get a call from a head manager. We’ll see if they care.
M maggiedemi Don’t be worried about the story of the man in the parking area. I didn’t have time to be scared until it was over. Mostly I was indignant! A little mad even. Ha!please forgive me if I delay it one more night. I spent my afternoon working on my only means of transportation. Not working at all! Glad I didn’t take that to Florida! Tonight I spent the evening hunting my outside babies. Every single one is missing. They have now missed three meals and because of that awful storm and woods full of water, I am worried about them. When it got to dark to safely see my way I had to stop the hint. I will resume in the morning. I also will have Jazxy coming home to prepare for. Also need researching to find any hope of sending Zbanjo and Whistle put together. Although almost all litters are broken apart in adoptions but these two should stay together if possible. They are truly bonded. I wish someone on here could take them. Anyway, I must beg off of tonight. My eyes are crossing with exhaustion and I am practically sleep texting. Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 I will
Pursue that option as a rescue. Thank you!

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan Norachan Thank you for the encouragement. Since I love children and animals it would be nice to do something for both.
The construction was actually a company returning to correct bad work. They value their company reputation and wanted to correct a serious wrong. I think that is fantastic. It’s nice to find companies that care. I think my AC is finally working. We are trying it out now.!
I really did have an adventure. Not one I would have chosen but all ended well. In fact maybe I can make some good come out of it. Besides reclaiming Banjo I would like to see security added for the employees of the rental company. More on that later though. I am to get a call from a head manager. We’ll see if they care.
M maggiedemi Don’t be worried about the story of the man in the parking area. I didn’t have time to be scared until it was over. Mostly I was indignant! A little mad even. Ha!please forgive me if I delay it one more night. I spent my afternoon working on my only means of transportation. Not working at all! Glad I didn’t take that to Florida! Tonight I spent the evening hunting my outside babies. Every single one is missing. They have now missed three meals and because of that awful storm and woods full of water, I am worried about them. When it got to dark to safely see my way I had to stop the hint. I will resume in the morning. I also will have Jazxy coming home to prepare for. Also need researching to find any hope of sending Zbanjo and Whistle put together. Although almost all litters are broken apart in adoptions but these two should stay together if possible. They are truly bonded. I wish someone on here could take them. Anyway, I must beg off of tonight. My eyes are crossing with exhaustion and I am practically sleep texting. Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 I will
Pursue that option as a rescue. Thank you!
:heartshape::touched::rock::sleepycat::zzzcat:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Tonight I spent the evening hunting my outside babies. Every single one is missing. They have now missed three meals and because of that awful storm and woods full of water, I am worried about them.
I hope they show up again. We get very bad blizzards here in the winter and I've had a couple of anxious days in the past, waiting for everyone to show up again after heavy snow. They're probably all holed up somewhere safe and dry, waiting it out.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 suggestion about becoming an officially recognised rescue is a great one. What would you have to do for that to happen?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh, your life is so exciting, it should be a book! It would be a real page turner! I'd buy it. I can't wait to hear the ending...I wish I could win the lottery and take Banjo & Whistle. Demi would love to have more friends. I would never let them escape either. I have signs on every door saying watch out for the cats. I'm the cat police here. :D

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can tell you because I have a non profit cat rescue group.
First thing is to decide on a small group of people who will be your board of directors.
You will write your mission statement which is how your rescue will help the community, the location of the rescue or if no location then individual homes from volunteers/fosters. Choose a name and a goal, immediate and future goals.
You need to write your articles of incorporation, this is filed with the secretary of state's office and should include the group name, the list of board members,
statement that you plan to apply for a non-profit status with the IRS (a 501(c)3 means tax exempt) the rescue's address, how you will do adoptions and how you plan to choose good homes for them, where the cats will come from, ie; helping the public, strays/ferals, etc that you plan to spay/neuter them, vaccinate, etc and ensure their health and well being, and so on.

Write your bylaws. These are basically rules the board will go by. That you will have an election every 2 years for board members, etc. and how board members when unable to fulfill their duties will be replaced by the next board member in the line, for instance I just had a 4 hour mtg last night with the board because the treasurer has been diagnosed with cancer and the secretary wants to step down due to her paying job has become so demanding.

The secretary of states website should actually give all the info you need for becoming a rescue group.

File the paperwork to the IRS to apply for your non-profit status.
You will apply for a employer identification number in order to get the non profit status.
All forms are on the IRS website too.
You will need insurance for the group, this is to protect the rescue in case someone at adoptions gets bitten, or a foster, it protects in case of being sued.
If someone adopts a cat from you, takes it home, 2 weeks later they come back and say their cat has broken out with ringworm due to the kitten having it that you were not aware of, and so on. I also have additional coverage for board members.
If you're like me and won't have a shelter or bldg nd is run from your homes, get a PO box for the address.
During these different processes, you will be finding fosters, volunteers, a veterinarian or 2 who will give you reduced rates, and look for an adoption venue. Mine is at Petco.
Create a website.
Create email addresses for the board, the entire group/all members, and a public address where people can reach you.
That's about it. lol yes it's alot but with more than 1 person getting these things done it's not so bad. I can't remember what the costs were, but sure they've gone up from 10 years ago when I did it!

Good luck!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! So much support! So much information to take in too! Norachan Norachan As always you are there to encourage me when I am tired. It helps me to keep thinking and trying. Thank you! I will keep trying!
W walli Very kind words from another feral rescue friend! I just respond to the needs of the kitties. I can’t help myself! Their little hearts call out to me. We do what we can. I never feel guilty for helping.... only when I can’t. I hope you never feel guilty either. You are doing good things. This world needs more like you, not less.
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Always supporting! The picture of the caped kitty is so cute! I wish I were more. If what I do helps one kitty or one person then I will smile. I don’t know if you and the others posting encouragement to me realize that you inspire me. You do! I spoke to another feral friend today about rescue status and I have posts from others thanks to you. I am researching.
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 I can always count on you for support. I am looking into the rescue status. Maybe I can do something more!
M maggiedemi Exciting..... certainly not boring. Lol There is no time to be bored. I wish you could join me. I also wish Banjo and Whistle could join your happy family. I know you would give them the right kind of love. If I could make it happen, I would do it in a heartbeat. I know you would keep them safe. Let’s see if I can dream up the winning lottery numbers! Maybe the kitties can tell me!! If they do I will let you know immediately! You just let me know when you win and the kitties will start packing their toys. I’ll even buy you a police uniform to help enforce the rules!
catwoman707 catwoman707 Thank you so much for responding with help! The information is detailed and greatly appreciated. I have only been involved with tax exempt and rescue status before in relation to rescuing endangered plants. Mostly from rainforest areas. I think that may have been a little less complicated. Lol Of course it all seems daunting when you have not done it. I can tell you have it all down to an art. I am looking into the options. Your information will be very helpful in doing the needed research and locating resources. I would love to accomplish more for the kitties so i will follow the leads you gave me and see what possibilities are there for me. Thank you!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to post more of the Banjo rescue but the day is long gone now. I apologize to all that I must put that off again. I had to put my time into kitty hunting again tonight. Kelly and her babies are still missing. Flowers is also missing. No one ate today or tonight. I searched the woods in spite of the high waters. After dark fell it started to be risky business. Slogging through dark woods and dark water here is not the wisest thing for me to be doing. My recent encounter with the cottonmouth made me a little nervous. The bullfrogs delighted in jumping into the water near me with a huge, plop! I managed to cross through the woods and back but no sign of the kitties. Maybe they just have more sense than I do and they are staying tucked away on some high, dry spot. My anxiety for them pushed me though. When I took supper out tonight I met a large hawk. It was only feet from my back doir. There are many in the area but I have never had one so close to my house before. As beautiful as they are, I hated seeing it this evening. I know that the kittens would be easy prey. I did what I could to chase it away. I made sure that all the food was placed so that any kitty eating would not be visible from above. I stayed out very late and used a flashlight to try to catch reflections of cat eyes. Not one cat showed up. Just before coming in I did hear a meow but it came from across the road. It turned out to be the male, BJ who has visited. I gave him some supper but he kept his distance. I will resume the hunt tomorrow morning. I may find them if the water goes down.
On a lighter note, Jazzy was returned to me today. The friend who fostered her and the babies took excellent care of all. Jazzy looks great and will now live with me. If she socializes well enough she may find a less crowded home. Otherwise she will be welcomed here into my kitty family. The foster is actually broken hearted that she cannot keep Jazzy. Jazzy did not warm up to her dog. I have already gotten four sad texts from her foster Mom. She brought a wealth of toys, treats and a wonderful scratching pad for Jazzy. Jazzy is missing her too. I did spend time with Jazzy tonight. We played and I have been holding her. She is so sweet. She talks a lot and purrs with every scratch or pet. Jazzy has a big heart and spirit. She was born to love. I will love her and care for her. Her life will be much better than it was when she was living in the woods. No more running and hiding. No more fear. She can finally relax and just play. She loves to play. Sweet Jazzy!
Banjo and Whistle continue to improve. I am still fighting their flea problem. Tomorrow will have to be bath time. I hope they won’t be too traumatized for me to get that done. It was difficult before. I wonder how many fingers will suffer losses! We shall see!
I must stop for now. As it is I will only get a few hours to sleep and I must have energy to hunt again tomorrow, so goodnight to all for now. If I still have fingers to type with after cat bath time tomorrow, I’ll be back! Kitty smiles to all.
0001EF85-E638-4F36-B3F3-D0C10A407E67.jpeg
D8F7CC70-9714-480E-80B5-73327441FD0E.jpeg

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted to post more of the Banjo rescue but the day is long gone now. I apologize to all that I must put that off again. I had to put my time into kitty hunting again tonight. Kelly and her babies are still missing. Flowers is also missing. No one ate today or tonight. I searched the woods in spite of the high waters. After dark fell it started to be risky business. Slogging through dark woods and dark water here is not the wisest thing for me to be doing. My recent encounter with the cottonmouth made me a little nervous. The bullfrogs delighted in jumping into the water near me with a huge, plop! I managed to cross through the woods and back but no sign of the kitties. Maybe they just have more sense than I do and they are staying tucked away on some high, dry spot. My anxiety for them pushed me though. When I took supper out tonight I met a large hawk. It was only feet from my back doir. There are many in the area but I have never had one so close to my house before. As beautiful as they are, I hated seeing it this evening. I know that the kittens would be easy prey. I did what I could to chase it away. I made sure that all the food was placed so that any kitty eating would not be visible from above. I stayed out very late and used a flashlight to try to catch reflections of cat eyes. Not one cat showed up. Just before coming in I did hear a meow but it came from across the road. It turned out to be the male, BJ who has visited. I gave him some supper but he kept his distance. I will resume the hunt tomorrow morning. I may find them if the water goes down.
On a lighter note, Jazzy was returned to me today. The friend who fostered her and the babies took excellent care of all. Jazzy looks great and will now live with me. If she socializes well enough she may find a less crowded home. Otherwise she will be welcomed here into my kitty family. The foster is actually broken hearted that she cannot keep Jazzy. Jazzy did not warm up to her dog. I have already gotten four sad texts from her foster Mom. She brought a wealth of toys, treats and a wonderful scratching pad for Jazzy. Jazzy is missing her too. I did spend time with Jazzy tonight. We played and I have been holding her. She is so sweet. She talks a lot and purrs with every scratch or pet. Jazzy has a big heart and spirit. She was born to love. I will love her and care for her. Her life will be much better than it was when she was living in the woods. No more running and hiding. No more fear. She can finally relax and just play. She loves to play. Sweet Jazzy!
Banjo and Whistle continue to improve. I am still fighting their flea problem. Tomorrow will have to be bath time. I hope they won’t be too traumatized for me to get that done. It was difficult before. I wonder how many fingers will suffer losses! We shall see!
I must stop for now. As it is I will only get a few hours to sleep and I must have energy to hunt again tomorrow, so goodnight to all for now. If I still have fingers to type with after cat bath time tomorrow, I’ll be back! Kitty smiles to all. View attachment 246762View attachment 246763
:grouphug: :clap::vibes::vibes::vibes::goodluck::crossfingers: :bouquet::hearthrob::redheartpump::hugs::wave2:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK...I just copied and pasted catwoman707 catwoman707 's post into a new notebook on my OneNote. The folder is titled, Cat Rescue. SO...when information crops up, I can get to it easily, and email it to you at any time! I do wonder if the Board of Directors can live out of state?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait...A cottonmouth snake?! Did you tell us this story? I can't remember it. That's what keeps me from moving down south. I'm terrified of snakes. :fear:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The poisonous snakes in NY live up in the Adirondack Mountains though. And I'm never going up there. I hope they stay there. I've never seen one.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear. M maggiedemi Don’t go back through all of my posts. I have a warning before hand but I did put a photo of the Cottonmouth on the thread. I do have to take care of those guys but most snakes try real hard to leave the area if you come near. They also try to warn you by hissing rattling and spitting. I have tromped through woods and jungles all my life and have always had the good fortune to see and avoid all snakes. As a child I often caught the gentle ones just to visit with them. When I was five I lost one in the house. I was in big trouble until I found it because the house keeper refused to come to work until it was located and removed. Lol It had crawled into a paper bag and I quickly tracked the noise. Poor little Garyer snake. They are actually beautiful. They have tiny gemstone sparkles all over. When the sun hits them it is like a town of rubies, garnets, emeralds and flakes of gold. They are gentle and actually just lizards that nature evolved to no longer need little legs. You can still see the small leglets. Without these critters we would be over run by pests. A king snake is a treasured friend here. Also beautiful, they guard us from the toxic snakes. They will kill them so that helps to keep them away. I am always happy to see them and they actually recognize me. They no longer run but will let me approach and pet them. Not soft and furry like our kitties but still good company to have where I live. I bet if you really saw a friendly snake you might feel a little better about them. That said, a cottonmouth is a grouch with an ego. I do try to avoid them. Did you know that a group of cats that don’t even know each other will band together to kill a toxic snake? They for a circle around it and take turn strilking it from behind while the cats in front distract it. The strikes from enough blows kill the snake. I have observed this many times although I intervene to dispatch the wounded snake.
Now, how about the end of the Banjo Rescue?
Our trip back from Florida was long and we were all exhausted. It had been stressful for us and for Banjo and frankly, a little spooky. Especially when I found Banjo but could not locate any people. After calling them for about 15 minutes in the woods I finally discovered they were in the greenhouse on the property. They had not heard my calls because of the noise of equipment running. Ha! Joke was on me. My nerves were jumpy. Anyway, we made the long drive back and Banjo was quiet after a bit. Tired from her adventure she slept a lot. Since she would not eat or drink on the trip I decided she should be returned home before we made the drive to the airport to return the rental. We unloaded my equipment and I got Banjo settled at my home with my friend before we drove back out. It was late and dark. We were relieved to arrive in the rental parking area. The spot assigned to me to park the car was already occupied so we parked in the next spot. The area was poorly lit and deserted. We got out of the car but we’re surprised when a man approached from behind. He quickly informed me that he worked for the car rental company and would be servicing the car. He moved quickly and handed me a few of my remaining belongings from the car. He then asked if we had luggage to remove. We said we did not and he went over to the young woman driver. He offered to help her with anything remaining in the car. I grabbed my purse as he leaned into the car. He was moving fast and it seemed he was rushing us to get our things. For some reason I took notice of this. It just struck me as a little irritating. He repeated that he worked there and had to ,” get the car on down to the garage to be serviced.” I know that the turnover on rentals is rapid. By this time I was holding my things and was standing on by the open drivers side door. I told him we were just removing our drink cups or any trash to return a clean car. He repeated again his rush and need to get the car serviced. At this point I became , I guess, alert is a good word. I was feeling agitated by him pushing me so much to clear out. At that point he reached and took the keys. I immediately voiced my irritation and told him no. I tried to reclaim the keys and he stressed he had to do his job and get the car serviced. I said,” I don’t know you and I am supposed to return the keys to the desk!” He planted himself in the drivers seat. My blood began to pump more rapidly. I said,” Sit, I don’t know you and I need the keys!” He said,” I work for this company and this is my job!” My heart was beating fast then. Something was very wrong here. I glanced around but saw no one. I reached down and grabbed his arm and I said,” I don’t know you sir and I don’t see any proof that you work here. Do you have any kind of ID?” (This particular company does not have uniformed car service employees.) He looked at me with a look I took to be real irritation. I thought he was angry with me. Everything in my body screamed at me by this point. I knew something bad was happening. The interior light of the car fell upon his face as he turned to face the windshield. I was afraid he was going to drive the car away. I held his upper arm and said,” you need to get out.” I tried to keep my voice calm. He shot me a disgusted look and stressed that he needed for me to let him do his job. I told him to “give me the keys and get out.” He just looked at me for a second. My blood ran cold but I held fast to his arm another moment. Then, without even thinking, I said,” I’m going for help. I’m gonna find somebody to ask.” As I began to move away he stepped out of the car and got ahead of me. I saw the kiosk for the rental company across an aisle. The blood was pounding so loudly in my ears I didn’t hear my own footsteps on the concrete. As I tried to move to the Kioske he kept ahead of me. I glanced around again but saw no one behind me or pulling in to ask for help. As we got closer to the kiosk I saw a young woman. I am quite small myself but she was even smaller. When I saw her go to the kiosk I knew she worked for the company. The man got to her first. He spoke excitedly to her. He explained to her that he worked on servicing the rentals and needed for me to let him get that car on down to clean it up. He impressed it upon her. She looked at me. I stood squarely behind him so he could not see me shaking my head at her with a determined, NO as I held up my hands in as a signal to her. She looked puzzled for a moment. I could tell she was considering the man’s plight. I spoke up. “He took the keys and I am supposed to return the keys to the desk in the airport! I even called in and asked!” At this point I knew very well that I was in trouble. Would she take his side? Once more he stressed his need to get the car. He was facing her so I kept shook my head rapidly, no! I tried to look at her over his shoulder in a way that would convey my fears to her. I was afraid to say much more. I suddenly realized we could both be in danger if he disliked her response. I saw her composure as she quickly grabbed the keys from his hand. She said she understood but that,” She has to close out the contract before she can give you the keys. She has to do that at the desk.” She stepped over and handed me the keys. He looked over and said,” Okay!” He began to move away and she told me to, “ go to the desk.” Nothing more. I saw him leaving so I followed her instructions. As I made my way through the darher areas between the parking area and the airport entrance it all hit me like a to of bricks. He was going to steal the car! My instincts were right on! It was all wrong. Was I really being robbed. When I looked back in the dark he was gone. I entered the airport and got to the rental desk. The young man at the desk stayed focused on his work. I spoke up. “ Someone tried to take these keys!” I was still taking in a that had happened. Time seemed altered. I knew the whole thing had happened quickly but it seemed to have taken a very long time. I voiced it again,” Simone out there tried to take the keys. He was going to take the car!” The young man ignored me. An announcement came over the airport intercom to inform everyone to be aware of unattended vehicles, luggage or suspicious behaviour and to report it to the nearest officer. I didn’t see any officers. I turned to the man behind me and telayed what had happened. I told him to be careful when he told me he was there to pick up a rental. He showed great concern. It was about that time that the rental company supervisor entered from behind the man at the desk, She told him to,” drop everything and come right now! There is an emergency. The police are here!” At first I was dumbfounded that they had run off without listening to me. Then I became worried for the lady at the kiosk. As all this passed through my mind the lady came through the door. She was safe! I breathed deeply and then wondered if someone was hurt of something terrible was happening to make the rental employees leave so fast. I smiled at the houndady as she approached me and I said,” Thank you for helping me!” She smiled back and replied that she was glad to help. She then informed me that the police were that about what had happened to us. I was still absorbing it all. I thought, Oh! Me! Me? She had called them. It all began to sink in clearly. I was right. He really was robbing me. He really was robbing me! The young wonderful young lady introduced herself as Ana and said the company needed me to stay to talk to officers. The next hours were just a repeat of events and exhaustion along with a pounding heart. I felt sick but relieved and very lucky. My anxiety converted to Adrenalin and sustained me. At the end I paid for me rental and turned in the keys so the car could be cleared by the rental company as “having been returned in good condition.” Ha! I found out that I would have been liable for the car had the man gotten away with the theft. I spoke with the young lady as I would my own daughter. I told her she handled everything beautifully but that she was at great risk in what she did. I was quite upset that we had both been put at risk by the fact that the company had no security measures in place. I told her,” If it ever happens again, you go inside and get help!” She was glad I had saved the car. It was a brand new car. Ana told me the supervisor wanted to thank me. I was also told by an employee that someone from headquarters would call me.
I waited and the surpervisor walked up and said,” Thank you for rescuing our car! My name is Cat.” I shook her hand. In my mind the irony of the words she chose was not lost on me. Really?

An a Cat Rescue ended my night. :flail:I still can’t believe it!

Thank you Ana.
Thank you Cat.
Thank you Universe for two rescues in one night.
I know that what happened is quite serious. I do plan to follow up on asking for security measures for customers and employees to be put in place but sometimes I just have to shake my head in amazement out how things work out.
I always smile if I am fortunate enough to get the chance!

Last edited:

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness the man didn't attack you! And thank goodness he did not steal the car and leave you with the company holding you responsible for the car. That was very lucky, although very stressful for you. I like to think our good karma from helping cats, helps keep us safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.