My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, you can never say that your life is boring! I'm so glad you were able to outsmart that guy and stay safe. It's a good thing Banjo wasn't in the car, he might have driven off with her! That's crazy that the supervisor's name was Cat! It's like the universe was trying to tell you something. It was a sign that you did good. :thumbsup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@surya I do think we get good Karma from our kitty friends. Something certainly saved me from any real trouble. All I ended up getting was a bit shook up and tired. Small price to pay for finding Banjo! Plus I met two nice ladies. Ana and Cat! How cool was that?

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Thank you for the “thinking quick on my feet”. Honestly it all just came out right. Maybe Banjo left some “:vibes: good vibes” in my pocket from all the people who sent them to her. Lol

@walli Her name really got me too! It could not have fit the situation any better if Banjo had named her. ;)

Back to current rescues. Kelly and her three babies are all present. I guess Mom got tired of me slugging through the water and yelling for her all night every night. They started out at the edge of the old shed by the woods. I loaded them up with water and food. They got a hefty side order of warm chicken and broth. They ate and drank every drop. Mom looked exhausted at first but perked up after the broth and a nap. I watched over them until exhaustion overtook me as well. By this afternoon Kelly and babies were much improved. They had all moved back to their original spot under my daughter’s old van. It’s a monster sized van with a wheelchair lift inside so it’s a wide and sturdy shelter with lots of room below it to house kitties. There are many places for them to climb up in to for safety and comfort. It’s cool over the lawn there and under a shade tree. It’s also inside a five foot high fence. There is a small building on one side of it too. If they want to they can get inside the building as well. I fed them warm food again tonight with the chicken and broth. They devoured it again so I know they need a little extra right now. They will get it. They felt so much better that it showed. I even caught Mom playing as I sat with them. I’ve never seen her relaxed enough to play. As I sat with them we got a surprise visitor and the biggest surprise about it was that everyone accepted it. Flowers came to share supper! I made sure she got chicken too. She ate but then turned to leave. I followed her to an old greenhouse which is also a good kitty shelter in the shade within the fence. As she neared the doorway she turned to watch me. She would not go in until I went in the house. I watched her from inside and she did go through the door. Does she have kittens or not? I can’t be sure. I will keep watching and try to figure that out. If she does I will try to find them from a distance so that Flowers does not move them again. I hope Flowers will join us all for supper from now on. Her trust was better tonight. Maybe I can still get them all before everything is said and done. Hope is present and accounted for. Yay! I do have some pictures of Kelly and the kittens. These were taken at their first meal back home. I’ll try to get more of everyone when the kitties are better recovered. Thank goodness! I am already working on trying to get them inside.

A very tired Mom.
D5555E9A-70EC-45EF-BF09-D4412CD0E0CC.jpeg

A good Mom letting the babies fill up first.
6CB9472A-E199-4EB8-98DC-8866D192D2F4.jpeg

After food Kelly plays
42D815ED-AC53-426D-9E31-8FE70B63CFC6.jpeg

They finally investigate the cage.
D13090CC-D93A-4ADF-8BC3-60CA0BAC06A9.jpeg

Bribery begins!
12E0E481-3B19-4EF7-92D3-BE038C950AA4.jpeg
39D0AFCB-1A08-425B-9D62-59A5C5947B5A.jpeg

Thanks for coming back with all your children Kelly! You’re a great Mom! You made me smile!

Attachments

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The poisonous snakes in NY live up in the Adirondack Mountains though. And I'm never going up there. I hope they stay there. I've never seen one.
I hate to tell you this, but there are poisonous snakes in WNY. A few years ago, a woman found a rattlesnake in her yard in Medina, there are more in Allegheny County and along the rest of the Southern Tier, as well as around the Bergen Swamp. Also, copperhead can sometimes be found around Letchworth Park, but they are increasingly rare these days.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man It is good to be aware. Thanks for providing the information. We want everyone to watch where they step if there is a risk. I didn’t know the range of all of them. At least the rattler warns us quickly. I can always hear them a fair distance away. My cats seem to always zero in on the Copperheads and kill them. The Siamese I used to have preferred to kill rattlers. Thank you for the input!

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man It is good to be aware. Thanks for providing the information. We want everyone to watch where they step if there is a risk. I didn’t know the range of all of them. At least the rattler warns us quickly. I can always hear them a fair distance away. My cats seem to always zero in on the Copperheads and kill them. The Siamese I used to have preferred to kill rattlers. Thank you for the input!
One thing I forgot to mention is that there is a species of rattlesnake in the Bergen area (SW of Rochester) called the pygmy rattler that has rattles so small as not to be heard at any distance. You really, REALLY have to watch yourself out there.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I followed her to an old greenhouse which is also a good kitty shelter in the shade within the fence. As she neared the doorway she turned to watch me. She would not go in until I went in the house. I watched her from inside and she did go through the door. Does she have kittens or not?
OH THANK GOODNESS SHE IS BACK! And got a good meal, and is a tiny bit more relaxed! From her behavior, I'm thinking that there are, indeed, kittens in there.

Also, copperhead can sometimes be found around Letchworth Park,
Nice thing about copperheads, if you have a decent nose, you can smell them before you see them. They smell like cucumbers. If you are ever in the woods and smell cucumbers, be very wary of where your feet go!

LOVE those pictures, Darlin. Such beautiful kitten they are. For some reason, I'm told by several reliable sources that tri-colored cats can be harder to place than even black cats. I send them this story to print out and show people:

Why Tri-colored Cats Protect Homes From Fire

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay. Lol That is also good to know. I know at least one of my friends here will never go there. I am familiar with the Pygmy rattler. Hopefully they just stay put. Ha! At least most snakes leave when we tromp through the woods. Making loud noise as you walk pretty much runs everything off. If you want to see a deer you are out of luck but in this case I am sure my friend won’t mind. Since I live in an area that is swampy I know you develop “an eye” for spotting them all. It’s always better to admire from a distance. If traveling through a brushy area I prod ahead of me with a long stick and shake things out if it is a snakey place. It’s much worse in the jungle than it is here. I do wear high top boots when needed. Rattlesnakes here have been overhunted and some are now on the endangered list. There is a roundup near me every year. The population is in great decline as a result of that and being on the menu. I find that humans will eat them but the cats won’t. Hmmmmmmm Wonder why?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 I have heard that too. There supposedly can be full of spunk and have cat attitude. I find them to be very sweet and loving. Exceptionally smart. I did not know that about fire but we had a Calico when I was growing up. We did have a fire and she did run Meowing straight to me. I grabbed her up to get her out but I didn’t connect that she was actually coming to save me. I am looking up to thank Liitle Bit right now. Thank you! :angel: I also have a tri colored kitties here now. Four! They are all great cats. Not one problem child.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look at all the beautiful Calicos! That one baby has beautiful eyes.
N NY cat man --thanks a lot. Now I won't be able to sleep. :D We've had a couple non-poisonous grass snakes get in the house somehow. I hope the poisonous ones stay away!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@maggidemi I hope this makes you laugh so you can sleep. I had a snake get inside too some years back. I could not see it well because it was behind a bookcase. I could not get to it either! I couldn’t just leave it. My daughter was confined to a wheelchair and helpless. What do you do? Mom instincts to protect kicked in along with the homemaker in me. I had just gotten a bagless canister vacuum cleaner. An upright Dirt Devil Scorpion with awesome suction power. I grabbed the hose to it, turned it on and stuck it behind the built in bookcase. My Scorpion sucked Mr. Snake right up into the canister. The clear canister showed a little guy neatly coiled up and ready to be tossed outside, canister and all. The next day he had evacuated the area and I retrieved the canister. Quick and easy it was all over. I think he must have spread the word. No snake ever came in again. Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 gave me a great tip that works. A dish of original pinesol in places snakes enter will keep them away. I put it in outbuildings and near openings around plumbing. There aren’t too many places where they can get into your house and they probably only came in when chasing a frog or something. They would rather be outside. Your kitties will defend you too! To them a grass snake is just as good as a mouse. Go kitties!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
@surya I do think we get good Karma from our kitty friends. Something certainly saved me from any real trouble. All I ended up getting was a bit shook up and tired. Small price to pay for finding Banjo! Plus I met two nice ladies. Ana and Cat! How cool was that?

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Thank you for the “thinking quick on my feet”. Honestly it all just came out right. Maybe Banjo left some “:vibes: good vibes” in my pocket from all the people who sent them to her. Lol

@walli Her name really got me too! It could not have fit the situation any better if Banjo had named her. ;)

Back to current rescues. Kelly and her three babies are all present. I guess Mom got tired of me slugging through the water and yelling for her all night every night. They started out at the edge of the old shed by the woods. I loaded them up with water and food. They got a hefty side order of warm chicken and broth. They ate and drank every drop. Mom looked exhausted at first but perked up after the broth and a nap. I watched over them until exhaustion overtook me as well. By this afternoon Kelly and babies were much improved. They had all moved back to their original spot under my daughter’s old van. It’s a monster sized van with a wheelchair lift inside so it’s a wide and sturdy shelter with lots of room below it to house kitties. There are many places for them to climb up in to for safety and comfort. It’s cool over the lawn there and under a shade tree. It’s also inside a five foot high fence. There is a small building on one side of it too. If they want to they can get inside the building as well. I fed them warm food again tonight with the chicken and broth. They devoured it again so I know they need a little extra right now. They will get it. They felt so much better that it showed. I even caught Mom playing as I sat with them. I’ve never seen her relaxed enough to play. As I sat with them we got a surprise visitor and the biggest surprise about it was that everyone accepted it. Flowers came to share supper! I made sure she got chicken too. She ate but then turned to leave. I followed her to an old greenhouse which is also a good kitty shelter in the shade within the fence. As she neared the doorway she turned to watch me. She would not go in until I went in the house. I watched her from inside and she did go through the door. Does she have kittens or not? I can’t be sure. I will keep watching and try to figure that out. If she does I will try to find them from a distance so that Flowers does not move them again. I hope Flowers will join us all for supper from now on. Her trust was better tonight. Maybe I can still get them all before everything is said and done. Hope is present and accounted for. Yay! I do have some pictures of Kelly and the kittens. These were taken at their first meal back home. I’ll try to get more of everyone when the kitties are better recovered. Thank goodness! I am already working on trying to get them inside.

A very tired Mom.View attachment 247206
A good Mom letting the babies fill up first.View attachment 247209
After food Kelly plays
View attachment 247208
They finally investigate the cage.
View attachment 247207
Bribery begins!
View attachment 247212 View attachment 247210
Thanks for coming back with all your children Kelly! You’re a great Mom! You made me smile!
:clap::salam::clap2: :heartshape::cheerleader: :bouquet::rock:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a quick post tonight as I am done out after the past two weeks.
Flowers vanished on me again. Where does that cat go? She is a mystery cat. I will try to track her AGAIN! Must like her privacy.
Kelly and babies allowed me to keep them company some today. They seem to be regaining some energy. Still feeding them extras.
The final Jazzy kitten, Shelby had finally healed from her spaying and got adopted today. Yay! ! Go Shelby!
The older lady I was helping to get her rescues spayed got three spayed and fostered out! Thank you Julie for helping our cause and taking them in after the surgery! You are awesome. One spay ended up a neuter instead. Oops! Hard to tell on little ones. Lol All good though. Three more won’t be suffering or producing more to suffer. Now just have to figure out the funding for the rest. I just learned that the rescuer has spent half the night trying to coax the frightened tux out of a tree. With her footing compromised I am most grateful that she did not fall from that deck in the process! Good for you @M Thomas ! You got the kitten!
I also wanted to show that Banjo and Whistle are calming down. Whistle is more calm than Banjo but that is expected. I have not heard from the ex parents.
Enjoying the scratching, just a liiittle to the right please!

822D3210-1CC1-4125-BC14-7FA8AA96A18E.jpeg

Banjo still not totally settled. A hint of something lingers. More snuggles needed! Coming to her now.

8E15333B-1C78-4718-ABE2-C5FDD288762C.jpeg

Whistle feeling mellow. Very good!

0D7AAA9C-87C3-4601-81CD-72820B97E3CA.jpeg

Progress is what it’s all about and they are making it. I am still excited to have them home. Can’t get enough of them. That’s worth smiling about!

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear. M maggiedemi Don’t go back through all of my posts. I have a warning before hand but I did put a photo of the Cottonmouth on the thread. I do have to take care of those guys but most snakes try real hard to leave the area if you come near. They also try to warn you by hissing rattling and spitting. I have tromped through woods and jungles all my life and have always had the good fortune to see and avoid all snakes. As a child I often caught the gentle ones just to visit with them. When I was five I lost one in the house. I was in big trouble until I found it because the house keeper refused to come to work until it was located and removed. Lol It had crawled into a paper bag and I quickly tracked the noise. Poor little Garyer snake. They are actually beautiful. They have tiny gemstone sparkles all over. When the sun hits them it is like a town of rubies, garnets, emeralds and flakes of gold. They are gentle and actually just lizards that nature evolved to no longer need little legs. You can still see the small leglets. Without these critters we would be over run by pests. A king snake is a treasured friend here. Also beautiful, they guard us from the toxic snakes. They will kill them so that helps to keep them away. I am always happy to see them and they actually recognize me. They no longer run but will let me approach and pet them. Not soft and furry like our kitties but still good company to have where I live. I bet if you really saw a friendly snake you might feel a little better about them. That said, a cottonmouth is a grouch with an ego. I do try to avoid them. Did you know that a group of cats that don’t even know each other will band together to kill a toxic snake? They for a circle around it and take turn strilking it from behind while the cats in front distract it. The strikes from enough blows kill the snake. I have observed this many times although I intervene to dispatch the wounded snake.
Now, how about the end of the Banjo Rescue?
Our trip back from Florida was long and we were all exhausted. It had been stressful for us and for Banjo and frankly, a little spooky. Especially when I found Banjo but could not locate any people. After calling them for about 15 minutes in the woods I finally discovered they were in the greenhouse on the property. They had not heard my calls because of the noise of equipment running. Ha! Joke was on me. My nerves were jumpy. Anyway, we made the long drive back and Banjo was quiet after a bit. Tired from her adventure she slept a lot. Since she would not eat or drink on the trip I decided she should be returned home before we made the drive to the airport to return the rental. We unloaded my equipment and I got Banjo settled at my home with my friend before we drove back out. It was late and dark. We were relieved to arrive in the rental parking area. The spot assigned to me to park the car was already occupied so we parked in the next spot. The area was poorly lit and deserted. We got out of the car but we’re surprised when a man approached from behind. He quickly informed me that he worked for the car rental company and would be servicing the car. He moved quickly and handed me a few of my remaining belongings from the car. He then asked if we had luggage to remove. We said we did not and he went over to the young woman driver. He offered to help her with anything remaining in the car. I grabbed my purse as he leaned into the car. He was moving fast and it seemed he was rushing us to get our things. For some reason I took notice of this. It just struck me as a little irritating. He repeated that he worked there and had to ,” get the car on down to the garage to be serviced.” I know that the turnover on rentals is rapid. By this time I was holding my things and was standing on by the open drivers side door. I told him we were just removing our drink cups or any trash to return a clean car. He repeated again his rush and need to get the car serviced. At this point I became , I guess, alert is a good word. I was feeling agitated by him pushing me so much to clear out. At that point he reached and took the keys. I immediately voiced my irritation and told him no. I tried to reclaim the keys and he stressed he had to do his job and get the car serviced. I said,” I don’t know you and I am supposed to return the keys to the desk!” He planted himself in the drivers seat. My blood began to pump more rapidly. I said,” Sit, I don’t know you and I need the keys!” He said,” I work for this company and this is my job!” My heart was beating fast then. Something was very wrong here. I glanced around but saw no one. I reached down and grabbed his arm and I said,” I don’t know you sir and I don’t see any proof that you work here. Do you have any kind of ID?” (This particular company does not have uniformed car service employees.) He looked at me with a look I took to be real irritation. I thought he was angry with me. Everything in my body screamed at me by this point. I knew something bad was happening. The interior light of the car fell upon his face as he turned to face the windshield. I was afraid he was going to drive the car away. I held his upper arm and said,” you need to get out.” I tried to keep my voice calm. He shot me a disgusted look and stressed that he needed for me to let him do his job. I told him to “give me the keys and get out.” He just looked at me for a second. My blood ran cold but I held fast to his arm another moment. Then, without even thinking, I said,” I’m going for help. I’m gonna find somebody to ask.” As I began to move away he stepped out of the car and got ahead of me. I saw the kiosk for the rental company across an aisle. The blood was pounding so loudly in my ears I didn’t hear my own footsteps on the concrete. As I tried to move to the Kioske he kept ahead of me. I glanced around again but saw no one behind me or pulling in to ask for help. As we got closer to the kiosk I saw a young woman. I am quite small myself but she was even smaller. When I saw her go to the kiosk I knew she worked for the company. The man got to her first. He spoke excitedly to her. He explained to her that he worked on servicing the rentals and needed for me to let him get that car on down to clean it up. He impressed it upon her. She looked at me. I stood squarely behind him so he could not see me shaking my head at her with a determined, NO as I held up my hands in as a signal to her. She looked puzzled for a moment. I could tell she was considering the man’s plight. I spoke up. “He took the keys and I am supposed to return the keys to the desk in the airport! I even called in and asked!” At this point I knew very well that I was in trouble. Would she take his side? Once more he stressed his need to get the car. He was facing her so I kept shook my head rapidly, no! I tried to look at her over his shoulder in a way that would convey my fears to her. I was afraid to say much more. I suddenly realized we could both be in danger if he disliked her response. I saw her composure as she quickly grabbed the keys from his hand. She said she understood but that,” She has to close out the contract before she can give you the keys. She has to do that at the desk.” She stepped over and handed me the keys. He looked over and said,” Okay!” He began to move away and she told me to, “ go to the desk.” Nothing more. I saw him leaving so I followed her instructions. As I made my way through the darher areas between the parking area and the airport entrance it all hit me like a to of bricks. He was going to steal the car! My instincts were right on! It was all wrong. Was I really being robbed. When I looked back in the dark he was gone. I entered the airport and got to the rental desk. The young man at the desk stayed focused on his work. I spoke up. “ Someone tried to take these keys!” I was still taking in a that had happened. Time seemed altered. I knew the whole thing had happened quickly but it seemed to have taken a very long time. I voiced it again,” Simone out there tried to take the keys. He was going to take the car!” The young man ignored me. An announcement came over the airport intercom to inform everyone to be aware of unattended vehicles, luggage or suspicious behaviour and to report it to the nearest officer. I didn’t see any officers. I turned to the man behind me and telayed what had happened. I told him to be careful when he told me he was there to pick up a rental. He showed great concern. It was about that time that the rental company supervisor entered from behind the man at the desk, She told him to,” drop everything and come right now! There is an emergency. The police are here!” At first I was dumbfounded that they had run off without listening to me. Then I became worried for the lady at the kiosk. As all this passed through my mind the lady came through the door. She was safe! I breathed deeply and then wondered if someone was hurt of something terrible was happening to make the rental employees leave so fast. I smiled at the houndady as she approached me and I said,” Thank you for helping me!” She smiled back and replied that she was glad to help. She then informed me that the police were that about what had happened to us. I was still absorbing it all. I thought, Oh! Me! Me? She had called them. It all began to sink in clearly. I was right. He really was robbing me. He really was robbing me! The young wonderful young lady introduced herself as Ana and said the company needed me to stay to talk to officers. The next hours were just a repeat of events and exhaustion along with a pounding heart. I felt sick but relieved and very lucky. My anxiety converted to Adrenalin and sustained me. At the end I paid for me rental and turned in the keys so the car could be cleared by the rental company as “having been returned in good condition.” Ha! I found out that I would have been liable for the car had the man gotten away with the theft. I spoke with the young lady as I would my own daughter. I told her she handled everything beautifully but that she was at great risk in what she did. I was quite upset that we had both been put at risk by the fact that the company had no security measures in place. I told her,” If it ever happens again, you go inside and get help!” She was glad I had saved the car. It was a brand new car. Ana told me the supervisor wanted to thank me. I was also told by an employee that someone from headquarters would call me.
I waited and the surpervisor walked up and said,” Thank you for rescuing our car! My name is Cat.” I shook her hand. In my mind the irony of the words she chose was not lost on me. Really?

An a Cat Rescue ended my night. :flail:I still can’t believe it!

Thank you Ana.
Thank you Cat.
Thank you Universe for two rescues in one night.
I know that what happened is quite serious. I do plan to follow up on asking for security measures for customers and employees to be put in place but sometimes I just have to shake my head in amazement out how things work out.
I always smile if I am fortunate enough to get the chance!
:jawdrop: :eek: :thud:Thank heavens you had dropped Banjo at home! Your Guardian Angel was working triple overtime. :vibes::vibes::goodluck::hangin:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 Thank you! You got that one right. Must have been a cat angel! I don’t know why else I would have brought Banjo home and doubled all the way back to the airport. I keep thinking that guy could have taken the car with Banjo in the back seat! Unnnnnhhh. Nightmare material for me. It all turned out with no one hurt so I am relieved.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 Thank you! You got that one right. Must have been a cat angel! I don’t know why else I would have brought Banjo home and doubled all the way back to the airport. I keep thinking that guy could have taken the car with Banjo in the back seat! Unnnnnhhh. Nightmare material for me. It all turned out with no one hurt so I am relieved.
:yess: :cloud9: :angelcat::catrub:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you live near San Antonio? If I ever end up moving down there with my brother, maybe you can come snake proof the house for me. :D Congratulations on all the adoptions. Yeah, it is hard to tell if they are a girl or boy when they are that young. That's how I ended up with boy cats with girl names twice in my life. First Mally and now Demi. But Demi can be short for Demitri I guess.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi Sadly I don’t live in San Antonio but I would gladly come and “snake proof” your house anyway. I have done that for a friend once years ago. When I was growing up we put natural sulpher around the perimeter of places we didn’t want snakes. I don’t know if that actually worked or was just an old wives tale but we never had snakes! You can always PM me.
I have made the girl/ boy kitty mistake. Lol My oldest cat was timid as a young cat , and it was mating season. The kitty stayed on my porch in a box for three days. Each time I passed the kitty I said,” Hello Dolly!” I figured it was a female and hiding from males. I managed to convince her to come to me. It was such a sweet and gentle kitty. Solid black and nothing apparent in back. Turned out I had named a boy Dolly! Lol when people ask I tell them it is spelled Dali like the artist Salvador Dali! Heh! Oh well. He likes for me to sing the song,” Hello Dolly” to him so maybe it worked out. He’s a doll anyway.
81460F60-085C-4109-B5B9-37AA1F91D277.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.