My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama Thank you! I hope you sleep well. I think the kitty on that towel must be a Ruby! :p

surya surya . OMGoodness!!!! I did think , kitten! Not human feet! Eeeeh. I once found someone in an unknown state. Very glad you called 911! That must have been a surprise! Looking for kittens and finding feet! :thud:I hope

M maggiedemi It is a sunroom. I originally had it done to use for sewing, crafts, painting and the cats I had at the time. They were the Luekemia kitties that were sick. I thought a bright place where I could spend a lot of time with them would give them a better chance. I could isolate them from the healthy kitties there. At that time I supplemented our income with my artsy stuff. Sarah and I took orchids to the city every Saturday and I began putting my plants and art work in many of the shops there. I had Sarah and some very sick kitties to support. The room was a good thing. Now it is again! It’s a cheerful place and the view through the property give the kitties lots of things to watch. When I brought all the clean cages and carriers in yesterday, four frogs hitched a ride inside. It was quite a hide and seek game! Me chasing cats, cats chasing frogs and me trying to beat the cats to the frogs. :flail:I’m happy to say that all frogs were willing to jump onto me, after playing with the cats.

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Thank you! The kitties seem very happy. I’ll have to undo everything after the company leaves when I put the tiles down but , for now it’s will buy me some time and please the kitties. I like the towel too. Found it accidentally at the dollar store! One of my best dollar store finds, outside of the kitty pools! :)

I think all the changes in the house may be a curious thing to some of the kitties. View attachment 291490
Some are relaxing but others are investigating.
View attachment 291491
Others have questions.

Where’s all the kitty stuff that was in here? ( Cally has a heart shaped nose! Lol)
View attachment 291492
Have a Good night/morning everyone! :sunshine:
What a gorgeous bedroom -- the canopy bed and the trunk are spectacular! My two trunks are very plain, but fairly old, and nice for storing bed linens.

So glad the little frogs knew to come to you!

That was compassionate and wise, having the sunroom for the FeLV+ cats. Spending time together is healthful for us all, don't you agree? My cats seek me out, and I them; and I know I feel best when they are close.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm in awe of your garden, and your cat room, and your bedroom! What a lovely home you have!

THIRTY LITTER BOXES??? God in heaven, how do you manage?

Your house looks really nice. Guess what I found in the bushes in front of my apartment today? Nope, wrong (you guessed a kitten didn't you?). Some guys feet are sticking out. He's probably just drunk and sleeping it off, but I called the police just in case.
Well, for heaven's sake, don't feed him, you'll never get rid of him! You KNOW how strays are...:flail:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in awe of your garden, and your cat room, and your bedroom! What a lovely home you have!

THIRTY LITTER BOXES??? God in heaven, how do you manage?

*Keeps her out of trouble!*;)

Well, for heaven's sake, don't feed him, you'll never get rid of him! You KNOW how strays are...:flail:
:crackup::lolup:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama Very true! The fun never stops! I ended up getting the giggles at what it must look like. Me, cats and frogs jumping all over the room. It’s hard to catch frogs if you’re laughing! Thank goodness the frogs were sensible and came to me instead of continuing the chaos!

M maggiedemi I’m glad you don’t fall over now! Ouch! I think the little frogs just jumped on me because I was a place to climb up and I was the closest safe place. Lol Smart froggies!

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Thank you about the room. It’s a comfortable spot. Sadly, it is closest to the noisy neighbor. When it’s noisy I sleep at the opposite end of the house. The bed was Sarah’s before she had to have a hospital bed. She loved it. The canopy is actually an antique table cloth that I repurposed. The trunk belonged to my great grandfather. It always held interesting treasures that he tucked away for me and my brother. When we got a chance to visit him it was like a treasure chest for us. I cherish it and it now holds my blankets and linens. Great storage!
I’m glad the frogs saw me as a convenient tree too! Lol Lucky frogs!
I do agree that spending time with the kitties is healthful for all. That room provided a lot of peaceful and relaxing time for everyone. I had another canopy bed in there and those kitties used the canopy as a hammock! I got some really cute photos of my kitty, Pearl, looking through the woven fabric of her “hammock!” :lol: Dolly had two sisters in the room too. Quiver and Quaker. Smokey had a brother out there. There were others. Over a few years I brought in all the sick kitties. Anyone with a heart would have done the same. It was crucial to Spay/neuter and stop the spread of the illness. In my opinion, it was the only acceptable answer and I would encourage everyone to take that course of action. They were wonderful kitties and deserved to be safe and surrounded with love and comfort. They gave me their hearts in return. We were very happy together.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Thank you! I’m glad you like my house, garden and the kitty room. The garden is something I started with Sarah. Working out there keeps me feeling close to her and nature. It isn’t a large garden but it’s special to me. Many of the plants there are perennials and come back each year but I always add some annuals to keep something in flower for as much of the year as possible. The miniature rose I planted there has actually grown so large it’s taking over! :lol: It’s a rose on steroids! I don’t know what’s in that dirt but it must be yummy!
Yes, I know, that’s a lot of litter boxes. I am open to having volunteers every morning and evening for scooping! That’s why I just try to imagine that I am panning for gold! If only........ surely by now I’d have found nicer nuggets! :lol:

Your comment to surya surya about “don’t feed him or you’ll never get rid of him! .” :flail:

To anyone who likes the room......panning for gold here means you get to stay in the canopy bed! :p :insertevillaugh:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My company came today! It was a wonderful visit and we caught up on...... a long time apart. Lol He is an amazing artist Architect and musician/singer/songwriter. Oh my! Such talent is quite a gift. I received CDs of music from now and from the time I first knew him. The kitties and I have been enjoying listening tonight. Hopefully, we’ll visit again before so many years have passed. We’ll be staying in touch through emails too. It’s so nice to see treasured friends!

The kitties are still having fun with the room. They are coming in the living room a little bit more but the sunroom is still the favored spot right now. It’s a relief to have the cat toys and cages out from under foot too. I spent time sitting on the floor in the cat room with them tonight as we listened to music. We played, snuggled and munched on snacks. They had cat treats and I had fruit. ;)

Pardon me! Do you always photograph someone coming out of the restroom?

3F43CB8D-BEB3-4873-AF03-A125D77DE7B3.jpeg

Lady is sticking the the cat blanket! It suits her. I think it would compliment her little dress quite well!
9D31F3C7-1931-4C97-B872-2C8B5CA49B64.jpeg

Frog watching is very popular here.
950FD4F8-2B7E-4045-A46A-364B37A1D3B8.jpeg

Activities are endless out here!
38405116-16D2-4BBA-B55A-58334DADC0EF.jpeg

There’s always something to do or another cat to talk to.
2F2A8AD2-64CF-4FD4-A0CB-C6DB79BCF2C0.jpeg

Nights are the best frog watching time and Banjo finds it a great hobby.
53B0CE2D-3EF8-4863-B3EA-B312BAD28176.jpeg

Whistle prefers sitting near the food dishes.
A4B2FB58-D1D6-4888-BD21-BCB88543A26E.jpeg

BJ likes to graze!
E2C420A3-E7A6-49C9-AAA4-DAF43CCF364D.jpeg

Muffins likes to bathr on the ,” Wipe your Paws” Mat.
15C53D96-83D2-4CCA-A8CD-446948401AB6.jpeg

Good place to wipe your paws!
347EE36A-29F3-4FB4-8372-1093B534A9F3.jpeg

Frog watching is....
D0C07476-3F49-402F-BD41-3B9DE3759ED1.jpeg

A waiting game.
074BE9BA-7691-42CD-A297-E533264697F6.jpeg

Dolly took my spot.....
C0370ACE-7D5C-4C05-A71D-0C70E89E7EB6.jpeg

And won’t share! Lol
C31AA168-A41B-4AB7-A1EC-B8649CA657D2.jpeg

BJ decided to give me kisses.
9D432E25-4C5E-48FC-8240-6D4E8DE3A45A.jpeg

Then he helped me out by washing my hair!
9017C495-D67A-46EA-AB90-CF17776C935F.jpeg

Thrasher went in for a visit but then realized I was in the cat room.
9B3AB9BD-D72C-45E3-9D0A-A119C26DEBAA.jpeg

BJ still guards the door. Thank you BJ!
AC0AE335-DE48-4BAE-959B-62332FDFA315.jpeg

Banjo did remind me that this is now a cat room! Leave human!
219FAB83-1C4C-4F23-8910-14E72B075F64.jpeg

Cats are constantly moving around..... except for Whistle. He really likes the food tray.
C8933A50-26D0-4ED9-AF72-93EC7CFF0BBA.jpeg

Purry like the furry rug.
CD7728BB-25DA-4930-8ABA-62244E57275B.jpeg

It appears that the kitties will be enjoying their room for a long time to come. I’m really glad I gave them this space. I like being out here too! :p
It’s been a long few weeks but worth it all to see the cats enjoying the space!

Have a great night everyone! I’m going to go and sleep for as long as I can! Ahhhh! Finally have time for a break! :yess:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pardon me! Do you always photograph someone coming out of the restroom?
LOL. :lol::lol::lol:

It appears that the kitties will be enjoying their room for a long time to come. I’m really glad I gave them this space. I like being out here too! :p
It’s been a long few weeks but worth it all to see the cats enjoying the space!
It's a lovely space. You did a great job! :thumbsup:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird good idea/option to go to the other side of the house when the cretins are acting out. It IS a beautiful room, though! So glad you are all having a good visit. The love of my life was a musician. I will always remember him playing Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" for me.

A garden is such a wonderful ever-living tribute to loved ones, isn't it? It always helps us to stay positive among growing things, and for me, it is a reminder that things may change, but there is always renewal, and resilience.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My four cats all share the same litter box. I know it is not ideal, but in this apartment there is no space for more.
Yeah, I don't follow the rule about litterboxes either. I only have 2 for my 2 cats. If I ever get more financially strapped, I think they could share 1 if they had to.

Jcatbird Jcatbird --Can we have more pics of Cally please? Do you have any more Calico/Torties hiding there that I don't know about? :camera:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No changes have happened M maggiedemi No extra kitties here that haven’t been on site before. I did dream of kittens last night but , thank goodness, it was only a dream. Lol They were cute though.
My company did tell me that he is being urged by family to get another kitty. He used to have a kitty love. Her name was Nosha. I cracked up when he told me how she got her name. As we all know, cats do all sorts of things that may surprise us. Nosha evolved from the words No Sh-t! I’m glad it became Nosha! :) I told him to be sure and let me know if he decides to get a kitty! I can definitely find him a match. He did enjoy the seeing the ones here. I think he was a bit surprised when we went into the cat room. :lol: I had told him ahead of time about the rescues but seeing them gathered together was probably a little striking. ;) Mostly he petted Mama! :yess:She was talking to him a lot and really liked him. She’s a very mellow and sweet kitty. She’d be a purrfect match. She likes his music too!

I’ll see if Calley will agree to more photos but I especially liked her expression in that last one.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama I laughed at that photo too. Cats have the most expressive faces. I can’t blame her. I wouldn’t like being photographed leaving the ladies room either!

surya surya I am so glad you don’t have a new and larger stray! You would definitely have box issues. :eek2: I know the rule is two boxes per cat but if the boxes are cleaned often and the kitties use them without hesitation, then everything is fine. I clean these twice daily if needed. Always cleaned every morning after the kitties eat. That is potty time around here! I would have to live with my head out the window otherwise! :running:If there were only four cats it wouldn’t be such a rush but........ :fear:In this case, it’s a joy to clean! :lol:

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 You are always welcome to come try out the cat room! Lol I could sleep there too. I spent time out there today and considered putting the bed back under one window. Maybe a futon would take up less space though. If the cats would allow it! They do own everything. :p

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I love spending time in the garden. There is something peaceful about nature and I do think it brings us a connection to everything. I also think it is a good way to honor those who are gone. Caring for the earth and all her creatures reflects a respect for life. The hummingbirds have been coming to the Turks cap Lillies. The butterflies and bees are enjoying all the other flowers. Frogs and lizards are living there. It’s a nice place to spend time. I sat out there this evening as the sun left and the moon began to show. I was thinking of your, “ Moonlight Sonata.” That must have been a moving experience.
No mosquitos tonight?!?!? Very nice and the air wasn’t hot. As I sat there enjoying the quiet, a visitor arrived in the sky. I tried to get a photo but it was too fast to get a clear shot. I’ll include it tonight anyway. It’s another friendly guest. I enlarged the blur in the circle. It’s a bat. In all the years I have lived here , I have only seen one at any given time. At one time, a bat flew in the back door! Is this the same one? I don’t know but I when I see it, I feel like I have company as the moon rises. My guardian from the mosquitos. Eat well little bat. Thank you for all you do.
1E8EB6A7-C8A1-41B2-9B37-F0C62F0B7C31.jpeg

M maggiedemi I didn’t get more photos yet, but I will. One tip on litter boxes, if you ever go on vacation, it’s a good idea to provide extra boxes. I have found that cat sitters aren’t as diligent about cleaning boxes as we would be and the kitties get mad! Who could blame them?

Furballsmom Furballsmom Thsnk you! It’s nice to know others like what you do. I still think of Sarah with all I do here. To me, this was all for her. I maintain it all with her still on my mind. She was a big part in my kitty rescues too. She was a magnet for all creatures. Her laughter seemed to attract every living thing. It brings me great pleasure to remember it.
Muffins is quite a character. That was a purrfect place for her to take a bath. She took the message literally! Ahhh! The things kitties do if we just sit back and watch! :flail:How can anyone resist loving a cat?

Today was a day of peace and rest. Until late this evening when I heard a strange knocking sound in the house. I walked around to try and pinpoint the sound. With all that has been invading the house lately..... I just couldn’t quite place the noise and was a bit concerned about the cause. I found it!

The noise seemed to be coming from a cabinet above the refrigerator! It’s up high and I can’t reach the door. I don’t use it at all because I have to climb up in a chair to get to it. What on earth? Thump! Thump! Thump! I got a barstool and climbed up. I reached for the knob and then saw the door move outwards and bump shut again! I hesitated and it moved out twice more! I opened the door slowly and peeked inside.
FB8C6C35-D627-4388-A625-5FD306F1C6F2.jpeg

Ha! I should have known! Did you have trouble getting out Kodiak?
2FCF03EE-982D-4350-AFFC-0834CFB7D81D.jpeg

Well..... not really, I just kinda got stuck Mom.
8F0329C7-666C-47FE-B3A8-764073E3D8B4.jpeg

Are the other cats watching?
2A16B558-D48D-41A7-9CCB-E99070E64056.jpeg

Don’t tell anyone. Okay?
7CC9BEE3-EE4E-484C-BF69-28683A943533.jpeg

I think I will come out though. It’s lonely up here. A little scary too.
D8A75FF4-39CD-4CE1-8CBB-A6F3D82DA9F0.jpeg

I saw that! Never admit to these things Kodiak.
302B1A66-ABF0-4FC0-BE2C-3DCD9AEC928D.jpeg

It’s okay. Smokey will give you kisses.
2392EAD9-E90F-46E6-AD81-6444B433B6AF.jpeg

Awwww.:thud: You’re okay Kodiak.
2CC608EB-DBFA-4B5E-AD6C-593A9B804E93.jpeg

:lol: Mystery solved! Things that go bump in the night can turn out to be the kitty! I guess I’ll either be tying the door shut or be propping the door open. ;)
I wonder if she’ll do that again? :hellocat:

Have a great night/morning everyone. If anything goes bump in your house, I hope it’s something as cute as Kodiak. :petcat::heartshape:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's awesome! I don't remember Mama. Is she a Calico? :lovecat:
Here's a link to some Mama pics: pics of mama

Thank you! I studied the chart & I think I have them all memorized now. :thumbsup:
Good for you! I created the chart, and I still don't always recognize them.

If anything goes bump in your house, I hope it’s something as cute as Kodiak. :petcat::heartshape:
Yes, of all the things that might go "bump in the night" a cat is the best case scenario. :dancingblackcat:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama I laughed at that photo too. Cats have the most expressive faces. I can’t blame her. I wouldn’t like being photographed leaving the ladies room either!

surya surya I am so glad you don’t have a new and larger stray! You would definitely have box issues. :eek2: I know the rule is two boxes per cat but if the boxes are cleaned often and the kitties use them without hesitation, then everything is fine. I clean these twice daily if needed. Always cleaned every morning after the kitties eat. That is potty time around here! I would have to live with my head out the window otherwise! :running:If there were only four cats it wouldn’t be such a rush but........ :fear:In this case, it’s a joy to clean! :lol:

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 You are always welcome to come try out the cat room! Lol I could sleep there too. I spent time out there today and considered putting the bed back under one window. Maybe a futon would take up less space though. If the cats would allow it! They do own everything. :p

tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 I love spending time in the garden. There is something peaceful about nature and I do think it brings us a connection to everything. I also think it is a good way to honor those who are gone. Caring for the earth and all her creatures reflects a respect for life. The hummingbirds have been coming to the Turks cap Lillies. The butterflies and bees are enjoying all the other flowers. Frogs and lizards are living there. It’s a nice place to spend time. I sat out there this evening as the sun left and the moon began to show. I was thinking of your, “ Moonlight Sonata.” That must have been a moving experience.
No mosquitos tonight?!?!? Very nice and the air wasn’t hot. As I sat there enjoying the quiet, a visitor arrived in the sky. I tried to get a photo but it was too fast to get a clear shot. I’ll include it tonight anyway. It’s another friendly guest. I enlarged the blur in the circle. It’s a bat. In all the years I have lived here , I have only seen one at any given time. At one time, a bat flew in the back door! Is this the same one? I don’t know but I when I see it, I feel like I have company as the moon rises. My guardian from the mosquitos. Eat well little bat. Thank you for all you do. View attachment 291707

M maggiedemi I didn’t get more photos yet, but I will. One tip on litter boxes, if you ever go on vacation, it’s a good idea to provide extra boxes. I have found that cat sitters aren’t as diligent about cleaning boxes as we would be and the kitties get mad! Who could blame them?

Furballsmom Furballsmom Thsnk you! It’s nice to know others like what you do. I still think of Sarah with all I do here. To me, this was all for her. I maintain it all with her still on my mind. She was a big part in my kitty rescues too. She was a magnet for all creatures. Her laughter seemed to attract every living thing. It brings me great pleasure to remember it.
Muffins is quite a character. That was a purrfect place for her to take a bath. She took the message literally! Ahhh! The things kitties do if we just sit back and watch! :flail:How can anyone resist loving a cat?

Today was a day of peace and rest. Until late this evening when I heard a strange knocking sound in the house. I walked around to try and pinpoint the sound. With all that has been invading the house lately..... I just couldn’t quite place the noise and was a bit concerned about the cause. I found it!

The noise seemed to be coming from a cabinet above the refrigerator! It’s up high and I can’t reach the door. I don’t use it at all because I have to climb up in a chair to get to it. What on earth? Thump! Thump! Thump! I got a barstool and climbed up. I reached for the knob and then saw the door move outwards and bump shut again! I hesitated and it moved out twice more! I opened the door slowly and peeked inside.
View attachment 291698
Ha! I should have known! Did you have trouble getting out Kodiak?
View attachment 291699
Well..... not really, I just kinda got stuck Mom.
View attachment 291700
Are the other cats watching?
View attachment 291701
Don’t tell anyone. Okay?
View attachment 291702
I think I will come out though. It’s lonely up here. A little scary too.
View attachment 291703
I saw that! Never admit to these things Kodiak.
View attachment 291705
It’s okay. Smokey will give you kisses.View attachment 291706
Awwww.:thud: You’re okay Kodiak.
View attachment 291704

:lol: Mystery solved! Things that go bump in the night can turn out to be the kitty! I guess I’ll either be tying the door shut or be propping the door open. ;)
I wonder if she’ll do that again? :hellocat:

Have a great night/morning everyone. If anything goes bump in your house, I hope it’s something as cute as Kodiak. :petcat::heartshape:
We have those bumps in the night sometimes. Usually it's Elvis. ;)

Two locations ago, we'd watch bats fly in and out the attic of the big house up in front of us. And in Jamaica, a bat flew right into a friend's chest as we were standing talking by the kitchen. There was a breezeway and that's where we were. It was a tiny bat! I don't ever see them here, but I love bats. They are wonderful creatures and very beneficial to us.

Oh, poor Kodiak! I hope he wasn't in there for long. That kind of thing has happened in our furmily. I am especially careful when opening one of the closets in the master bedroom. It has doors on rollers and cats have gone in there to investigate before. Tarifa is especially adventurous when it comes to that closet. So I always make SURE she is not in there when I'm done in there.

As for boxes, we now have 7 for 3 cats, and I clean them 5 times a day -- when we get up, after breakfast, before lunch, after dinner, and before bedtime. We have 7 because when we moved here, the furmily was 9 cats strong. Two of these boxes are huge. So we were happy enough with that number. It doesn't matter how many boxes there are, as long as everyone feels comfortable and uses them, right? Up in the Mojave, we had 3 huge storage boxes plus a massive wood one that my ex built. There were twelve using these. I never found any "presents" out of box.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The key with boxes is that no one misses using them and always feels comfortable going there. Cleaning them 5 times a day? tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 You can definitely come here to pan for gold. You must get them cleaned as soon as anyone goes there?!?! I get these after meals. That’s the most popular time to use them. Lol

Kodiak has not returned to the cabinet. She could have gotten out easily enough if she had just pushed her way out. The door moves easily. Funny how she opened it without a problem from the outside by pulling it but couldn’t or wouldn’t push harder. It’s not air tight or anything so she was okay. Just glad to have me open the door! Poor Kodiak. Hmmmm. Banjo was right there. I wonder if she was trying to help Kodiak get out or holding the door shut? :seesaw:

If anyone besides me could ever keep up with all the kitty names, it would be amazing! Lol It’s quite a crew!

Status
Not open for further replies.