My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The feral front is progressing! Thrasher and two of her babies remained where I could actually watch them eat today! The third kitty ate but outside my line of sight. Perhaps trust is returning! I expect the heat has brought them back. I was even allowed to speak out loud without having them vanish. It was a welcome sight. All other ferals outside are progressing as well.
One of my contacts who helped me get ferals spayed and neutered through the grant to the county had great news for me. She has advanced from a volunteer to part of the hired staff. I am so pleased. She is a very good human being and will make a great addition to the staff at the county shelter. She understands the difficulties of funding and the job requirements. She also has a heart of gold and hope for an end to animal suffering. The other lady I have worked with there is just as great. Together I feel they will be doing some great things. I plan to give them any support I have to offer.
I worked with Mitsy today but she got miffed when I gave too much play time to her children. Lol Kitties! She forgave me when I turned my attention back to her for a bit. The kittens were much better about being petted. I picked each one up today. They did not bite or scratch. Nimbus acted the most comfortable with being held but it didn’t last long. We will practice more tomorrow. Cloud made me laugh when I picked her up. She just went limp. She never did try to get away but she did look uncomfortable. When I put her back down she stayed limp. It was like trying to stand up a rag doll. Would NOT put her feet down! I just laced her down. The minute I moved away she bounced up like she was on springs. They love the wand toy with the feather so that is what we played with. Making great strides.
All the other rescues inside are well. Banjo and Whistle had a visit from future Grandpa. I get their boosters next week. The Bears are all well. Tortie is now desiring petting. Duster is very vocal now and quite tame. In general all are improving. I still have an issue with Eisenhower not wanting to be picked up but we practice. It just takes time.
Banjo had an itch on her nose and finally handled it with tongue! Lol
DFD8DE4E-188D-41A5-A739-514150D03FEE.jpeg

Mitsy is much more relaxed with indoor life. She tried to knead bread on the blanket.
E7D10310-62F1-45C2-A6FA-92EF116A8C4B.jpeg

The kittens heard a giant on the roof! It was Bonjure!
12E3E942-F8C1-4703-BB48-6BF08EEDA154.jpeg

Mitsy turned her back on me in disgust after I petted her babies too much. After all, Mom needs petting too!
68AFBF4C-BB55-4DC0-BA87-29FA950CF4A6.jpeg

And last.... Nimbus demonstrated how to do sit ups to the other kittens. Very talented kitty!
34C9E3C4-E8B4-4B66-9E4D-023B8F2593FA.jpeg

Mitsy was not impressed.

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
089ED634-7E8C-4E28-9820-8BAD08D2EA6B.jpeg
I have a picture for everyone!!! These little cat bottoms belong to Thrasher babies! I got close. Even better news. If I could type and do a happy dance I would be dancing now because I got to PET Thrasher! My hopes are rising for them.
I got an offer of help today from the first person that gave me help in the beginning. My friend who is a critter getter lady. She rescues everything that needs help. She almost took home a baby cow in her car not long ago. Luckily she found someone to take the baby. Lol She took four of my first rescued kittens. She adopted one herself. Shakespeare. She got the others adopted out to fantastic homes. In my mind it started the adoptions moving. Thank you Carol. She is going to try to find more homes. Yay!
I got news today on Jazzy and her babies. All the babies are now named. Jazzy is being protective still andcis hissing at anyone new. A good Mom but not so good to try and get her a home. I have a feeling Jazzy will be my kitty. I do love her.
My other helping friend will be taking more kitties for possible adoptions through the shelter. I feel that three or four are ready and very well adapted now.
Mitsy is very affectionate now. Still skiddish but a sweetie. Her babies got to go in a mesh carrier that I use as a play area for kittens. Time to start giving Mom some time off. The kittens loved it and Mom got a nap. The kittens ran and played for a couple of hours. It was great watching them. They are so funny.
D016EED7-FC48-422B-818D-2263C4A00067.jpeg
77643782-B055-475C-BCA4-BF51B1B7D77A.jpeg
F27CCE0E-E99B-4C7A-AA09-0D27C90863D2.jpeg
BCAD73BB-21DF-4CEE-BC33-D698D418EAFB.jpeg

Mom, Mitsy is relaxed more and has a beautiful face. A much happier kitty
2CDED725-7A43-49E5-BE9C-7DFAF983E067.jpeg
E6C05850-AD17-4F20-ABB8-3F193275A471.jpeg

Toys are nice but shadows on the roof are a curiosity!
5F51667C-70CA-4939-A511-51E3FDF774D9.jpeg

The kittens never even noticed that Silver was babysitting outside the mesh window. Nice that she would give Mitsy a break! It was a good cat day!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wonderful news all round! You do such a great job with them.

Mitsy is a sweetheart. She only looks like a baby herself. Got to love all those little tabby and white faces.

I hope the city listens to you and starts helping feral caretakers. People like you do such an important job in our societies. You deserve a medal, but here's a dancing banana instead.

:banana2:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am laughing! Norachan Norachan I love bananas, especially dancing bananas! I don’t need a medal, just the banana! Lol

I hope the commissioners listen too! It is life or death for so many. I will be checking in to see what they do. I got a call yesterday from a local lady. Four kittens born yesterday and two males need to be fixed. I am going to let her know when there are more openings for spay/neuter. The kittens and Mom are in with her. They are safe and hopefully will get homes. I will try to help her get Mom fixed later too. I am not the only one who needs the system to work. We all do!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I met a great young lady on thecatsite. At 18 she is using her babysitting money to try and rescue kitties. I had the privilege to communicate with her and she allowed me to help with some info. I was quite impressed with her. It is such a comfort to me as I get older to know that there are young people coming up who will continue to rescue cats long after I am gone. Perhaps their generation will end the feral populations if we don’t get it done by then. If anyone wants to look her up she is @Lil Dude . She is fighting the good fight.
I was very happy to see Elf today! She and Thrasher were by my back door. I think her siblings were near as well. The closer they come the more encouraged I am that I may catch them after all. Elf has a darling face. She is an unusually pale orange tabby.
Mitsy and babies are well. I had back issues today so I couldn’t play with them as usual but I did let them go in thecplaypen with toys. Cloud and Nimbus seemed to recognize my vulnerability! They hatched a plan and escaped for a lovely Rubin the house. Lol I could not help laughing. It took me a bit of time but I did manage to encourage them back to the play area. Sly little kittens. Here they are planning their escape!
F99B4ACF-4E68-48F9-AEC8-5CBBC99E5B5D.jpeg

Someone else recognized what it means to have the toys all to yourself!
BD5B53BF-51ED-4E2E-9F1E-08F9540FF1B8.jpeg

Banjo thought the whole escape thing and me chasing the kittens was for her entertainment.
C4A3BE1D-3626-4515-A8E7-FA5BE877B0A5.jpeg

They always keep me laughing.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a great text! It was about a kitty I raised and then adopted out. We all hate to give our babies up but when you know it will be better for them you let them go. Chessie is a beautiful golden tabby. When he met the family that adopted him he immediately fell in love. He was drawn to them and was totally calm even when they put him in their car to leave. It was one of those, perfect adoption , moments. He has done well with them from the start but updates are very gratifying. He is well, happy, loves the family and has a doggie brother that is about his size. Lol Here is Chessie! Yay!
B4E7424E-F077-406C-8E5F-E2454ECF539C.jpeg

All the kitties here are doing well. Mitsy and the babies all got a good brushing tonight. Cloud seems to be taming the fastest. She even let me lay her in my lap on her back as I brushed her tummy. Nimbus was not so grateful. He spun his wheels as he left my hands and left tire marks across my arms. Lol One of the little marks of honor I have received over the years. (My doctor keeps me current on my shots and provides me with a nice antibiotic cream for these bonuses. ) The kittens did enjoy the brushing though. They all got very frisky afterwards and ran around with extra excitement.
Playing patty cake!
AD069EC3-C9B8-4212-AF6A-9B54A94AC552.jpeg

Chasing tails!
BE53343A-F142-4B48-B0C5-93979DD852FB.jpeg

Investigating the camera up close for the first time!
333ADA71-ECF6-41BC-B2F6-491E7B545C79.jpeg

I did not pursue the outside kitties today. An old back injury flared up and restricted me from doing much today but hopefully I will be able to resume tomorrow and will have new reports on Thrasher and the gang.
I did get a super sweet PM from @Lil Dude . She has plans, when she is older and has the funds or can retire, “of opening a safe haven for kitties. Perhaps near me and perhaps I can work with her.” Everyone who has followed what I have been doing will know that I smiled a big smile when I read that. I could not ask for a greater honor from a young lady than to be included in her future. I really hope she can do all she dreams of doing. If everyone , of any age, aspired to such things then all kitties would be safe and well. I am still smiling. Thank you for that Lil Dude.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Mitsy kittens are finally coming around to accepting a human holding them. Although they have enjoyed being brushed and playing with toys, a human hand is still a little scarey. I resorted to bribery today. After letting the kittens play until they were tired I took each one out of the play area individually. Cloud was first. I offered her a snack that few kitties can resist. While it isn’t something I would usually give them, bribery calls for something special. A cheese flavored cracker. Here are the results.
94C4659C-8B56-4236-BB56-D69E7538A2D0.jpeg
8080851C-0110-4913-9636-455F5CD6E5CA.jpeg

Bribery worked with Cloud! She relaxed enough to let me lay her back and give her a chin scratching and belly rub.
BEFDE93D-C783-42E3-BC5D-A9E59BBF5121.jpeg
48B5049B-4CAA-414F-A598-9DD3E52A4CB2.jpeg

Nimbus enjoyed a cracker too and decided human hands can give nice treats! No belly scratching though!
4BD5724E-2B91-49AD-99DA-DF407CFA166F.jpeg

Stratus may need a little more convincing! What a suspicious expression! Lol Poor baby. I will work with Stratus first tomorrow. At least they all tolerated being placed in my lap and petted. It’s a process that takes time since they were all living as ferals for the majority of their lives. I have confidence that they will all do well and socialize beautifully for adoption.

I did manage to get back out to try to catch Thrasher today. She didn’t show up until very late. There was a sick opossum on the property. She is obviously frightened by it. I was concerned as well. I attempted to capture it but it did not go after the bait in the trap. I assume it left the area because Thrasher and babies did show up but she remained nervous and I could not convince them to be trapped or eat. I remain patient and determined.

On the previous topic of @Lil Dude , a kitty angel has appeared for the cats that need Spay and neuter help. An anonymous person is going to try and assist. Yay! I am very happy that the cat population will be better controlled as Lil Dude works through getting the cats to a vet. I am grateful that there are wonderful and caring people who step up to make the world a better place for kitties and Society. Good luck to Lil Dude with the TNR system, socializing and any rehoming that may be accomplished. I plan to be available to all involved to help in any way I can.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Looks like bribery will get you everywhere in some quarters! Hey, if a cheese cracker means the difference between trusting humans and not trusting humans, I'm all for the cheese crackers, in moderation! GO FOR IT!

There was a sick opossum on the property. She is obviously frightened by it. I was concerned as well.
I don't blame you for being concerned, but do remember that it is fairly rare for possums to get rabies. They do so far, far less than other wild animals, such as raccoons. During on horrible rabies season in Panama City, I saw a good 25 rabid raccoons, but only one possum that I though might have had it. However, there are a host of other ills that affect possums.

I'm thrilled that @Lil Dude has an angel on her side now! There are good people in this world. It gives me hope.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you get Thrasher and her little kitty's safe inside soon. I saw a buzzard by my dumpster colony today. It was a smaller sized one. I chased it away anyway. I don't like them bothering my kitties. I grabbed a little tortie cat today. I'll have to keep her in my bathroom because the vet doesn't have any appointments for awhile.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like bribery will get you everywhere in some quarters! Hey, if a cheese cracker means the difference between trusting humans and not trusting humans, I'm all for the cheese crackers, in moderation! GO FOR IT!

No cheese crackers needed today! Yay! They left some for me. Lol what a difference a day can make! Stratus improved a lot. I think bringing Stratus out first kept the kitten from becoming anxious as it watched me bring the other two out. All three stayed in my lap without me holding onto them. A few more days and I hope they will come to me when I call their name. They already know their names but have been responding by going to Mom. I need to separate them from Mom but I hate to rush the weaning. I am used to Mom picking the time but I have to rely on help to transport Mom for spaying. We are working on a tight schedule.

I don't blame you for being concerned, but do remember that it is fairly rare for possums to get rabies. They do so far, far less than other wild animals, such as raccoons. During on horrible rabies season in Panama City, I saw a good 25 rabid raccoons, but only one possum that I though might have had it. However, there are a host of other ills that affect possums.

The poor opossum. It broke my heart to see it so ill. I considered trying to put it down but it left before I could make that call. I would rather nature handled it but I was worried it might bite a cat. It’s vision was damaged and if it was frightened it might have lashed out. Usually they are not a problem with the cats. They only eat leftovers and I generally remove those. My neighbor feeds the possum family.

I'm thrilled that @Lil Dude has an angel on her side now! There are good people in this world. It gives me hope.
Things look very hopeful for @Lil Dude . She is working towards getting cats scheduled. It is so nice to see something good happen. I agree, it gives hope. To us all.

I hope you get Thrasher and her little kitty's safe inside soon. I saw a buzzard by my dumpster colony today. It was a smaller sized one. I chased it away anyway. I don't like them bothering my kitties. I grabbed a little tortie cat today. I'll have to keep her in my bathroom because the vet doesn't have any appointments for awhile.
Dear smartie pie Thrasher. I am so anxious to get her and babies. Thank you for the good wishes on that! This is the hardest I have ever struggled to get a cat. I know it has a lot to do with what happened to her in the past so I stay patient. Time is crucial though. Must, must get her spayed!
A buzzard near your kitties? I have some that grew up in a nest here. They will eat the cat food but they never try to hurt them. They do scare some. I think they are worried it could be the Hawk coming. The buzzards are now trained to leave if I point and say, “Bang!” They are pretty tame and will come to the back door to wait for the morning feeding. Irritating but they only come when food is scarce.
I hope your dumpster kitties are okay. It must be hard for you to take care of them. Especially with bugs around!
Now for our smile for tonight!
Cloud didn’t hide and was a little marshmallow after petting.
7D2B74DA-4359-4C71-9907-D2A50F0FE825.jpeg

I have been accepted.
DFCA26E7-0DDC-4F01-9151-8234CDBAD71A.jpeg

Perhaps even being loved.
1C347C6D-AF20-4DE0-BB5B-4824C8FB7319.jpeg

We are relaxed being held!
68E5F708-5A50-4866-8705-1DBEBC937753.jpeg

Petting does feel good if you give it a chance! Ummmmmm. From feral to friend. They will do very well.
779FFDC9-172D-4860-9CC1-373E4A83BC85.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No cats around today. My back gate was opened this morning. Not sure how but the result is, no visible cats.
I spent the extra time looking for cat resources for new homes. I am hoping four will go for interviews at the end of this month. That won’t get them homes but at least a chance at being adopted. Silver, Duster, Black Bear and Mittwo have reached the point where they are ready for their own person. Even though I have worked hard to get them socialized it will be harder to let them go. I can tell they need more Lap time so I am anxious to get them to that interview. I will be having to ask someone else to transport them and no reply on that yet. Pins and needles until it is all done.
I also worked with the others today. Cally is bff with Tort. Tort is so attached to Cally that when I call Cally Tort comes. May have to start calling Tort Alley to get her to come! Lol It worked today!
Man and Eisenhower are doing well but don’t like being picked up. That is a ,must do , to get them into the adoption system here. We are practicing every day and multiple times a day. They have improved but it is slow going. Other than that they are ready for a loving home of their own.
Mitsy and her babies are improving quickly. Whew! Some adapt faster then others. Mitsy got a day off today in a separate cage. She slept the entire time. Having three children is exhausting!
The three babies played extra hard without Mom to discipline. When they were finally allowed into the area Mom had been in they loved it. Cloud quickly found an escape route. Their cousin kitty, Whistle came to get me to let me know they were out. You could say, blew the Whistle on them! Of all the cats that watched this escape I found it amusing that Whistle came and got me. Once Cloud escaped she showed Nimbus the way out. She showed Stratus as well but Stratus was stopped by the sight of my gloves. I guess Stratus thought my hands were in them. Lol Poor Stratus Cat didn’t get a free run today. I think they will be able to run with the other cats some very soon anyway. We have an upcoming vet appointment and I hope to get them in as well. They all allowed free petting today with almost no resistance. Mitsy too. One step at a time things are progressing. I am hoping for adoptions for them. If they go to the shelter it will be almost a month away at the earliest.
I had been considering a move near Atlanta. Not going to happen any time soon. The rules at the shelters there were quite upsetting. A cat has a limited time allotted to be adopted. If they don’t get adopted they are euthanized. It doesn’t matter if they are healthy, sweet, spayed or neutered or have had complete vet service. You cannot reclaim a cat to save it. I totally understand they have limited space and resources. I understand paying to surrender a cat as this helps the cost incurred to care for it. I do not understand the inability to reclaim the cat. It not only would save the life of the cat but also save the city/ county the cost of euthanasia and disposal of the poor kitty. :soapbox: Where is common sense? If they are afraid people will use them as a stop gap for cat care in emergencies, then charge more for reclaims!!! :argh:That will stop it! The person I spoke to was very nice. The system is broken. I intend to do all I can here to get kitties rescued and rehomed. I will do all I can to assist our “better system” here. If in the future I go to the Atlanta area I will be trying to help the system there. :( They need help! If I did move, all the kitties that move with me would stay with me. For anyone who reads this who lives near there, please donate money, time, service to the shelters there. They need us!
Good news just came in! My friend can help transport the four to the interview! One hurdle over! Following is a pic of my beautiful Duster. My heartstrings are being tugged a little already. Heartstrings for four! Would you adopt this face? Pan down for a switch to smiles!
BB22586E-F9E7-46E6-BC27-BAF80061DB25.jpeg

The Mitsy kittens have learned how to open doors!
You grab the door with your mouth....
80D11FDD-9F38-4330-8A36-278E433CF841.jpeg

Pull.....
4B1B0357-BBED-4056-AC81-278DC1DC84DB.jpeg

And voila! The cats inside are released!
473D1E4B-8354-41C8-BCD7-8FA6F2AAA8A1.jpeg

You can also do it with
4168D8B9-278C-4E8E-A780-98C7CAA82DA7.jpeg

Ingenuity....(don’t worry Stratus cat. I’ll get you out.)
BF3A68B3-4A93-486F-A32D-99A416C00CB4.jpeg

And a paw! Smile Stratus cat! Nimbus has released you!
15D58375-67F4-4ADD-8D5D-8DA771E9135D.jpeg

Yay! Kitties rule! Hope you laughed at this. I did.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, Duster will certainly appeal to a Very Special Someone who understands that cat's expressions are subtle, and don't always reflect the bright spirit within. Just look at Grumpy Cat! Her people say she is the sweetest, happiest cat they've ever known. I'd take Duster in a heartbeat, if my lease and Hekitty would allow.

Loved those kitten pics! I now have a smile on my face, and am ready to go!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love your nightly updates. Gives me my morning smile. :heartshape:

Is that first pic, Duster? He definitely needs to turn his frown, upside down. ;)
That first picture is Duster. You’d be sad too if you wanted a Mom that didn’t have so many children to divide her time. Actually Duster just does’t like to sit still! Wants nothing but petting. Lolj

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My updates for tonight are brief. I had to do housework today or move! Lol My back is rebelling but I did my kitty loving anyway. Here are the grins the kittens gave me today.
Cloud does NOT like that vacuum cleaner thing!
939FEFCD-96BF-4613-BA2E-D85F6BFD2942.jpeg

Mitsy and Nimbus. Mother and child.
4F4C0607-79CF-4BAD-A3E7-47CF5E68CC09.jpeg

Little white face of Stratus lost in a sea of stripes!
4DE28847-C449-4C35-A908-45BBA50157BD.jpeg

Just such funny expressions! Like silly kids cutting up for the camera.
2331FE66-A6E4-4A7E-9E53-286CE0831451.jpeg

Stratus is not happy that Nimbus hogs the toys!
056021ED-5DA8-4040-B741-9C8DD7B053D9.jpeg

I was able to comfort Stratus with some real petting. So glad I could help!
181EC91A-8531-4CB3-A79E-CB6D9EA8A36C.jpeg

Stratus recovered and decided to join the play with a little more effort. Stratus got the mouse AND the ball! Go Stratus!
7062AE85-6D73-4F0E-8377-D5A4FFDC318C.jpeg

Everyone got tired and petting was had all around. Relaxed kittens! Feral seems to be less important now. Hope you feel the calm too and I hope they made you smile.
EA91B680-67D7-45BF-93D1-F317141D4D55.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s hard to beat kitty watching! Since I am a little confined with my back today it gave me a chance to spend more time with the kitties. I have been a little concerned about Whistle. Nothing I can put my finger on but I know one of the big cats gives him a hard time. Just to be safe I put Whistle in his own place last night. It seemed to perk him up. He spent much of the day in my arms. I gave him special treats to eat and extra attention. We have a vet appointment Tuesday. He will be spending alone time except for when I am holding him until then. I hope he is okay. He has already been tested and given a clean bill of health so maybe he is just upset by the other cat. He has always been timid. Poor baby. It really is important to watch them.
Now to our smiles for tonight.
I wanted to tell Mitsy about her upcoming vet visit. Her reaction says , “ What do you mean, don’t worry, the vet is really nice”?
3BB6047A-0609-43C0-82F4-CED21DAAFDB0.jpeg

I’m pretty sure that Stratus( on right) was thinking, how come those guys always get the best toys and I get stuck with this stupid ball?
15C1394A-E3D9-414E-8C93-6143440AFF4F.jpeg

Then I think Stratus tried to arrange a trade.
9FE030CB-AD3D-4AC2-A51C-B01BD24F00E4.jpeg

No trade but Stratus joined the fun. It’s all about learning to be good siblings.
2F77355C-B7C4-4671-901A-244BB28041EF.jpeg

Of course there are always those times when siblings have little disagreements!
A874D6B6-4106-4626-8138-2E112978CE62.jpeg

Stop Kitties!!! I hope you laughed! No kitties were hurt during the filming of this thread! Except maybe for their dignity.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With kitties you never know what’s coming. Whistle would not eat breakfast and that’s enough to make me worry. My instincts are to get him checked. Something isn’t right. I am hoping it is just that he was upset by my leaving him in the care of others for a couple of days. We are at the vet right now waiting to be worked in. Good vibes please!!!!! Hoping I am just a worrier.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The news is not what I hoped. Not sure of diagnosis yet. Waiting to hear more from the vet. Whistle is staying with the vet for now. I will stress to everyone, always trust that nagging little voice if you think a kitty is acting different. I am so glad I did not wait for the vet appointment tomorrow. Just because you have had them tested for things, doesn’t mean they can’t have something show up. Taking him today may make a difference. All candles, vibes, prayers, good wishes and hope are welcomed. I will update as I know more. :redheartpump:

Status
Not open for further replies.