My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let us know when you know! Lighting a candle right now!
View attachment 239739
Sending good vibes your and Whistle's way. :vibes::vibes::vibes:
To everyone, thank you for caring and sending hope our way. It is gratefully received. If you want your smile for today just skip to the end of this post.

It has been a Trying day so please excuse me if I make an error. I have been pushing hard today for my little buddy.
I am posting this event for informational purposes for other kitty lovers. If it tips off one person to trust their instincts ( even if nothing is obviously wrong) and gets their kitty to the vet in a time of need, it is worth recounting a this day.
I have no news from the vet since I left Whistle. I spent most of the day there. When I called them this evening I only got the answering machine. Don’t take that as negative news. With my vision issues I can only get to one vet. They are often too busy. I shall say no more about that except it leaves me in a tough spot in emergencies.
Here is all I do know. Whistle has been thoroughly tested for all the things you normally test kittens for. All tests were negative. No disease, worms, etc.. Flea treatments have been administered regularly since Whistle was caught. All cats here get that. Last night Whistle meowed and, to me, it sounded different. Whistle ate, drank and went to the box as usual. I gave him some meat baby food as a treat and as a precaution had him stay in a room away from his sister and any other cats. This morning I found him ready to come out but I waited and fed him. He would not eat. Even baby food was declined. His meow was louder than usual. I had already inspected his body but repeated it. Nothing obvious but I was worried. Something just seemed wrong. I took him to the vet. I also took his sister, Banjo.
Upon examination the vet found no problems other than a couple of fleas. I was surprised. He Suggested tummy upset and IV fluids although Whistle did not seem dehydrated. He thought it would make him feel better. I asked about more definitive tests and stuck to my story that, I knew something was really wrong. Choices were , x- ray of tummy, fecal tests or blood work. My choice was , do blood work before any treatment. Turned out to be a good choice. Whistle is very anemic. Had he gotten fluids it could have worsened his condition. Why is he anemic? We don’t know yet. There were a couple of fleas but Banjo had only one that we could find. It did not appear that Whistle had enough on him to cause anemia. His gums and tongue were still pink. It is possible that he was bitten by a flea that carries a parasite which can cause anemia. Internal bleeding from some other source. He could have gotten an incorrect test result for disease as well. All we can do right now is treat him for the anemia with bathing, transfusion if he reaches a lower bloodcount, Capstar for any flea that remains and antibiotics to counteract problems from parasites. Further tests and blood work will be required. Though I have cared for cats who had leukemia I have only seen severe anemia happen without obvious indication and so rapidly once before. I hope I never see it again. I remain hopeful that Whistle will recover. I have spent the rest of the day vacuuming and trying to sterilize everything possible. I purchased all the Capstar the vet could spare for the other cats here. Plan to get more tomorrow. Banjo appears well.
I am grateful for that. We are thinking of Whistle and trying to send our hearts to comfort him tonight. :catlove::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:

Here is your smile
Below is what the kittens seem to be thinking.
EC7892B1-3E84-4554-88A1-7037D4F76E99.jpeg

You’re giving me a new toy?
BE052480-835D-43FB-AD14-7668C8226367.jpeg

Another ball??? Really???
B7062C16-86E9-463B-B5AC-7C74D3EFED41.jpeg

What was that? It makes noise?
20EA6B58-E849-4483-A7E0-468DD1D7DB23.jpeg

That’s different.....
358153BA-0BBA-4A58-A619-EBBFE5CB633B.jpeg

I think I like that sound.
AA6B0955-388A-4ACD-8BF2-0DDF0C8A83F3.jpeg
We all like that noise! Maybe this ball is worth playing with!
The reaction of the other cats in the house may go something like this.
85CE1F12-F593-4B46-8D58-7D5B3E3673BC.jpeg

You have them a ball with a bell in it, didn’t you?
212E05D9-F6FE-4263-8378-025EEAB3C44C.jpeg

You do realize we all have to listen to that now? OMG! Kittens!
After a day like today, I hope you all laughed!:hearthrob:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The news is good. Whistle has improved. This morning he was syringe fed but about two hours later he ate on his own! He took in some high calorie, vitamin packed food. First choice was some dry food but shortly after he ate wet food. He is on antibiotics for a suspected parasite. He submitted to a nice warm bath and is resting well. He will remain with the vet for now. He will be attended to through the holiday by techs and the vet. If he continues to improve he may get to come back home at the end of the week. I don’t know yet if there is any permanent damage to his little system but I am much more hopeful than when I got his lab reports. If it is parasite damage and we caught it early enough then the antibiotics may stop his illness. Sweet little Whistle seems to be winning hearts at the vets office. Although there are many helpers there, it was the vet who bathed him. Lol I have known since day 1 that this is an especially sweet kitten. His personality is all about that Awwww factor. I am very glad that he is getting special attention. That love always helps to heal. I won’t get any updates tomorrow unless there is a decline in his condition. They will be closed for the holiday but if Whistle needs me they will call me to come in. I will be staying home so that I can get there quickly if he needs me.

On a different note, I got a nice email today from the county commisioner Chairman. Apparently he had not known about the Barn. At program until I wrote to him. The fact that he read and responded to my email is encouraging. He is going to pass my email about the need for funding to spay neuter and rescue program to the county Administrator. He also indicated that I would be getting a call for the head of County Animal Control and staff. Wow! I am impressed! He even thanked me for the work I have been doing. He also sent a copy of his email to me to an employee at the local Humane Society with a notation that they would look into funding. I could not have asked for a better response. I believe that they will attempt to fund the programs needed. Yay Commisioners! I hope they can. I let him know I was willing to contribute information and any sevice that I could to help in this effort. You never know when you write in to people who have so many responsibilities if they even have the time to read all the correspondence that comes in. I am left with a great impression of our Chairman. I think that every effort will be made to understand the issues of feral, abandoned and rescued animals and that they do see this as something important. If they can understand it as everyone here does, that can mean great strides for animal rescues and feral population control. I hope that this will encourage new and improved goals for our community. I will post with any new information I receive. It has been a hopeful day in many ways!

Here is what made me laugh today.
When you were a child, did you ever get that creepy feeling that something might reach out from under your bed and grab you?
A8152187-D3B6-4FA4-AB52-0E31367FE28F.jpeg

Only to discover that your brother thinks he’s funny?
9251BE01-5BFA-4094-9CBD-978DCBFE28E1.jpeg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's great news about Whistle. I'm so glad you trusted your instincts there. Very good news that the County Commissioner Chairman is listening to what you have to say too. I really hope you get funding.

:crossfingers:

Love the expression on that grey tabby's face. It's like the looks you get from a toddler's mum when you give their kid a whistle to play with, just as she's about to take him home.

;)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great news about Whistle. I'm so glad you trusted your instincts there.

I often see posts where someone “ just thinks” their kitty might have a problem. I always encourage them to ask a vet. I believe instincts are a valuable tool.

Very good news that the County Commissioner Chairman is listening to what you have to say too. I really hope you get funding.
I hope they provide the funding as well. Our county Animal control and citizens need this service. It could put an end to overpopulation and animals suffering. It is gratifying to get such a positive response. Those in authority care. They are setting a good example for all.

:crossfingers:

Love the expression on that grey tabby's face. It's like the looks you get from a toddler's mum when you give their kid a whistle to play with, just as she's about to take him home.
Lol Exactly my impression of the Tabby as well! She made me laugh. Hopefully she will forgive me.
;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news about Whistle. Yes, definitely good you trusted your instincts. Also good news about the email from the county commisioner. And, as always, love the pictures and narratives. :catlove:
Great news all around. Just so you know, you are one of the reasons I post pictures of the funny things the kitties do. I love sharing the giggles.:hellocomputer::lol:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The news is good. Whistle has improved.
~heaves HUGE sigh of relief~ That's wonderful news! I'm keeping his candle lit, just to be on the safe side!

On a different note, I got a nice email today from the county commisioner Chairman.
That's great news! Even the fact that they took the time to respond means that your letter was well-recieved, and made sense to them!

Here is what made me laugh today.
When you were a child, did you ever get that creepy feeling that something might reach out from under your bed and grab you?
OH GOODNESS! That's just too, too funny! I'll be chuckling over those pictures for the rest of the afternoon.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For only happy pictures, skip to my next post. Not terrible news but not great either.
The vet was closed today for the holiday. As promised, if anything changed with Whistle, I would get a call. The tech called me to update. The tech who called me said that “Whistle is better” and she found him playing by himself in his cage. ( I have never seen Whistle play alone) I told her this was unusual for him. She told me he played with her as well.( That is not unusual as he is people oriented) Then she told me he developed a fever and they gave him fluids before calling me. To me, that is not better.:confused2: I had already had a discussion with the vet about fluids making his anemia worse by diluting his blood so I wanted to understand why this was done. Has he become dehydrated? Has he stopped drinking?:confused2: The tech was unable to answer my questions and the vet was not available. He had given the instructions to give fluids over the phone. I find the info and possibly the treatment conflicting.:confused2: I will be calling the vet at opening in the morning and if they don’t answer I will be at their door. I am glad that he is where someone caught the fact that he had a fever but I would have expected the office to call me to get approval for the fluids and to give some explantion. I also would have been able to ask questions about his antibiotics since the fever started while he was already on them. If he needs fluids I am glad he got them but I have no answers to my questions. I don’t know any more than this for now. My instincts are ......worried.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Mitsy kittens are still pretending to be ferals. Since they don’t run away, I think they doth protest too much! These are the giggles they provided tonight.

Uh oh! Here comes that human again!
C73B43C1-FAED-4DA6-9518-9B07FB241CE6.jpeg

She has that look in her eyes again.
17FAEF73-D6A9-4197-8C79-A95EEA10596A.jpeg

Maybe if I ignore her she won’t do it.
930C9BCF-0C8E-4B96-832F-735977B3D00F.jpeg

Rats! She’s gonna do it.
420E7572-3215-4440-9983-920DFB9FAA6A.jpeg

She’s touching my head again!
8AA3A472-537B-4ABD-A5D9-0B3B5B755FD2.jpeg

Ha, ha! I told you to stay away from that door!
8317C6B8-DAA4-428B-A01B-F9AA74BE21C0.jpeg

Oh no. Not me too?
2597777B-389D-463E-B451-A975868CCE3C.jpeg

Why is she touching my feet?
DCADC37C-5F40-40B2-BDCE-F9E58EDA7B81.jpeg

Not the belly rub thing!
24CA5009-3795-4C08-B1EB-A958BB8C5A8A.jpeg

Ha, ha. I told you so.
E5F23B59-B0F2-47F8-BB1E-EE28710D2FC0.jpeg

Oh no!
A3E2D4CE-E3EF-44EF-A78A-C4D50CA7BD84.jpeg

She’s got me guys!
02176CF0-7808-4C0F-99CF-EE78B1F5D541.jpeg

I hope you laughed.

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The prayers, vibes and good wishes must be helping. I have brought Whistle home. The vet is more confident about his stability than I am but I am a worrier. I am told this was caused by a parasite. He is still on antibiotics and being picky about eating but I am very glad to have him back with me. Here he is , with his extra wide paws, making bread in my lap. A blurry pic but I diidn’t want to tire him. He is purring and sleeping in my lap now. My sweet little Whistle.:catlove:
D3EC174C-7EDF-4A48-89B1-4239C01AB90F.jpeg
0F66BF50-0DE0-41EA-89D7-9C8F770BCE3C.jpeg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
ALL of those pictures made me smile! Although the kittens are more cute than I can say, it was the pictures of Whistle that made me smile the widest! Um...since you are still concerned, I'll keep that candle lit for a few more days, until you are sure he's back on track!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ALL of those pictures made me smile! Although the kittens are more cute than I can say, it was the pictures of Whistle that made me smile the widest! Um...since you are still concerned, I'll keep that candle lit for a few more days, until you are sure he's back on track!
Thank you so much! I share a heart with each and every one. I spent a couple of months trying to get Whistle and siblings. As always, the relief of catching and vetting pushes aside our concerns. When something goes wrong we worry. I know the significance of lighting a candle for him. It helps our hearts to be stronger. :angel: I cherish your support.

Jcatbird Jcatbird , for what it's worth; You ARE a Super Hero! ... two thumbs up!
Thank you for the praise. I don’t see myself as a hero but I wish I was! I would come to the rescue of all! Your trapping troubles and your kitties too! I just do what I can and won’t give up. I am probably just stubborn. Lol Your kind words help me to remain on track and to stay stubborn. You made me feel good.
Pops
To everyone here who offers kind thoughts, words, hopes, wishes and prayers..... I love you all for being there.
It does smooth out the bumps in the road. :hearthrob::rock:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I am really smiling! Love that picture! I can say that I used to have long blonde hair but now I have more a silver and gold thing going. Lol The pic actually reminds me a lot of my daughter Sarah. Another smile for that. She wore her hair like that, always had a kitty in her lap, had big blue eyes and a sweet smile. Ummmm. All warm and fuzzy feelings from everyone. It certainly has been a comfort to me. If anyone sees me in a positive light then I am very grateful. Thank you for being so sweet to me. :heartshape::sunshine:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whistle has eaten twice! He has been resting, getting snuggled by me and his sister, Banjo, and meowing in his little whistling voice. He also took his medicine with no complaints. lol Such a great little kitten! Banjo is helping me take care of Whistle. What more could I possibly want? See the following photo.
DD44A7BD-ECD9-4AB1-B5FB-008EF059CFF3.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.