My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't tell you how thrilled I am that Misty and her kittens are now in safe hands! I know it is an added burden, but also a HUGE added joy! No more panicking every time you hear an engine in the dark! And they are beautiful, AND Mitsy is talking to you! I bet she was a dumped cat, and was a pet at some point in time. Probably dumped when she got pregnant. What did they expect?

The Blue Dolphin!!!! My beloved Grandmother took me there. I may have happy tears! It was a magical time for me. It was just the two of us and it is a special memory for me. My mother was quite ill and I often cared for her so that trip was a treat for us both. It seems we have crossed paths!
I'll be that we have had at least one casual conversation. LOL, I was the pudgy blond teenager behind the front desk. I pretty much lived in the office during the summers! What a small and wonderful world this is! Well, that being the case, GEE, it's nice to "see" you again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1B251724-1293-4BE1-97DB-8F51AECBE41C.jpeg
660DA6A1-C435-465D-A1FD-48DC24ADEC51.jpeg
I am glad to have them in! It is a relief. They were at highest risk. There are still two Moms out there with three babies each. Thrasher has trained her babies to run since we caught her other four with a trap when my friend came. I will work on the remaining kitties after a rest. I am pooped! Lol
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 It is nice to meet again. I am delighted! Truly! I would have been the short kid that had long blonde hair. Lol. I was known for two things, being a squirt and having long hair. Still true. Heh. I probably would have been drawn to you since you were behind the desk. I would have been very impressed. I probably hung around you a lot when I was there.
Mitsy and her babies got a larger home today. I think they will be much happier with more space. I have managed to brush Mom just a little. Petting may come soon!
67D2A1C7-ADE8-4189-882E-3EBDF94A70FA.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have huge progress to report today with Mitsy and her babies! Mitsy head bumped me tonight. In cat language that is saying that she accepts me as a friend. From that it became petting Mitsy. He babies observed all this and decided I must be okay. They are still wary of being petted but we played and got very close. I was able to pet them but they don’t have full trust yet. I got some great pictures of them.
ABD6D2FE-C8A4-4EE1-A747-71C56132FB7F.jpeg
C29FF91C-22D6-435D-A1A0-E323FA09F093.jpeg
3208DEA3-79E5-4E1A-881B-FB5EF331FF5E.jpeg
6A1727AE-6A0D-4F6C-9F5C-3106525998BB.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The way to a kitty is, indeed, a feather. Works quite well! Mom left the enclosure today and met the other cats. She did well but then hid under the sofa. I convinced her to go back to her kittens without incident. Lol She got lots of petting once back inside. She is loving being loved. Short on time tonight but wanted to update the baby pictures. It looks like names are evolving. The silver tabby was given a name by a catsite member. Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 suggested that there is a silver lining to this rescue! She appropriately named the silver, Cloud. I think it’s a great name and so it shall be Cloud! Toying with Cirrus and Nimbus for the other two. Perhaps Stratus?
9EA7B588-5F28-4FC0-80FA-083184AB56FA.jpeg

Cloud
D9F94295-7A03-47A8-B688-7D5B69147699.jpeg
81F660F4-4E52-4043-BB4D-CC90A5F6EA79.jpeg

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has been an adventure filled day. The kitties are starting to adjust. Mitsy is doing better than I ever thought possible this quickly. The kittens will take longer. Thank goodness they love to play!!! I will be working on the other Mom cats next. I think one has babies that are more intetested in approaching me so I’ll start with them. Beautiful stripes and spots. Tabby kitties! I am currently in a location that has very little signal so I can’t post our cute new pics but I will update everyone tomorrow. If my signal improved, I’ll be back tonight. It looks like one photo will post. Amazing how tasty a feather can look to a kitty! I hope you are smiling! I am.
85123260-39A9-40EC-B646-C5F320B5336C.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was a colony that I suspect was dumped cats but the weird part is how quickly the numbers rose. Around 100 cats in about three months. There were pregnancies but to get too 100, that was a lot of dumping. Someone suggested to me that a trailer park might have been cleared of a colony and then dumped near me but I have no idea where they all came from. I just knew that I needed to try and stop it. There are still a few more. I hope to get them all. The last are very wary and it has been a long year. Lol

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I adore that kitten licking its chops over that feather! I know which one is Cloud, but which of the other two is which?

Poor Thrasher is still out there, isn't she? She will be, I imagine, one of the last ones you get your paws on.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still trying to decide who is who on the other two cats. Suggestions on that are welcome! I have been looking for a safer place for us to go. On my way back to the kitties now. It has been a journey. I do think Thrasher and her three will be the last caught. Mom is too smart! I will not give up though. It may take time but I will put in the effort. I am hoping that there are no new arrivals. I am sure there are some that I am not aware of yet. I will be on the lookout. It is my greatest hope to get everyone to safety.
Am I just seeing too many kitties? I think I even see kitties in the clouds! Lol
87E4EA5D-4364-4586-B978-0046AEF6069A.jpeg

Feeding time at the zoo!
3AB25896-B5EB-48FB-8E2F-57F8769DE211.jpeg

Licking our lips after dinner!
20809F84-3A30-42CB-B6A4-5556A4C5DE42.jpeg

Flossing after a meal is good for the teeth!
02FB56EB-443A-49A6-BC8E-B41D4579EF5F.jpeg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Around 100 cats in about three months. There were pregnancies but to get too 100, that was a lot of dumping. Someone suggested to me that a trailer park might have been cleared of a colony and then dumped near me but I have no idea where they all came from
It happens! As soon as people spot a colony they think it's a good place to dump their unwanted cats. I used to have people dropping kittens in my front garden as soon as word got out that I was taking care of the neighbourhood ferals.

I would have taken them in if they had asked me, but they preferred to dump them and then run away.

:rolleyes3:

Good luck with Thrasher and her family. I hope she realises she can trust you soon.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tee hee! I wish a whisper would do it! I did spot Thrasher today and she greeted me! I also noticed that I attracted at least one of her children. I have a nice yard up in the shade and I had put ice in their water dish. I quickly added a dish of food which vanished shortly after. I think they may have been driven back home by the heat. Yay! I am excited.
On another note, It came to my attention that I needed to contact our local commissioners about the feral situation here. I discovered that it was important for me to explain how significant it was for me to have received that grant money to assist in the spaying and neutering of the kitties I brought in. I heard that I needed to convey how desperate it can be to have a colony of feral and abandoned cats in the community and how important it is to have the cycle of suffering stopped. I did write to every single one of them. I thanked them for the assistance in controlling the feral colony here and told them how many lives have been saved near my home. I explained that there had originally been nearly a hundred cats and kittens here but due to rescue efforts, spaying and neutering by myself and through the Barn Cat program that number is down to less than a dozen now. I also told them that many of the cats helped by the Barn Cat program have been adopted since they were fixed and tamed which means that they are no longer an expense to the county. I want them to know that funding spays, neutering and adoptions equals no more euthanazation. I am hoping that giving them a clear picture of what was happening to the cats here will encourage them to keep funding programs to help. I also told them that I am very pleased to have them be on the forefront of positive action to end feral reproduction and euthanasia. I hope my letters help. I will let everyone know if they decide to continue funding and seeking help for the Barn Cat program. Who knows. Maybe they will visit this site. I hope a little kitty whispers to them to take a look on thecatsite. It would be a wonderful thing to have them permanently involved in the rescue of our defenseless kitty population and the end to uncontrolled feral suffering. I am rooting for them! :cheerleader: Maybe other government officials will follow in their footsteps. My old cat Mackie will be the first to shake their hands if they understand the importance of this issue to everyone.
1EEFA970-66C2-42DB-B6A4-6ABB6EF5AFD8.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was so busy thinking about my hopes for no more euthanasia that I didn’t update on Mitsy and her babies. We have progress! Mitsy is loving being loved and today all three kittens decided to allow me to pet them as well. Cloud was so relaxed after I brushed her she let me cradle her in my arms and dozed off! She didn’t move until she realized she was out of her enclosure and another of the rescue cats was looking at her. At that point she started to wiggle so I quickly put her back with Mom and she was fine. She continued to allow petting. Yay! They are precious little ones.
Now I will give you your giggle of the day. This is what Cloud did when she saw the other cat looking at her. I think she had an opinion. I hope you laugh!
5B7A4525-5713-49C0-9059-8E574E0A0F93.jpeg

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think she did, too! And we know what it was.

I'm sure your letter said all that was needed. I'll light a candle that hearts will be touched by it, and (more importantly) action will be taken!

00000000000000000.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the wonderful support. I hope the letters work. If one government official is understanding of the serious feral issues and takes action that is a step for us all in the right direction. Perhaps others can benefit from it in their communities by using it as a role model to set before their own county officials. When one person takes a stand for something that is hard to accomplish but the right action to take it makes it easier fo for others to do the same thing. Their is strength in numbers! That is one of the things that I love about this website. It is wonderful to find so many people in one place who know in their hearts what is right and good and act upon it. Yay thecatsite!
The news on the feral front is that Thrasher and her kittens are here! They ate under the tarp by my back door with me standing nearby. It’s a start! As for the Mitsy kittens, we have a name for the second kitten. It is Nibus! The first one was Cloud so Nimbus followed for the second. The third name should be determined soon. Thank you for the help finding their names Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 and Hekitty!
Yes, I am Cloud. Can’t you see that every kitten has a silver lining?
D9D081F0-0772-494A-B871-CEAB17DEE7CF.jpeg

Wow! My name is Nimbus!
76B3D24C-A569-48EC-B20F-D53952C8690F.jpeg

I’m trying to think of my name.....
6BA21EC4-5E4A-4514-9763-3297BADD4FDC.jpeg

Hope you smiled!

Rosie88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am on a limited income but have managed to rescue and rehome 32 cats. I ask everyone I meet if they know anyone who will give a fur ever home. The vet, the post man, the grocer, my doctor, nurse, tax preparer and contact every rescue group in this state and those nearby. I still have more to go but getting there.

These cats were being shot, burned, tortured and abuse. I gained their trust, started feeding them and one by one brought them in to calm them for adoption and vet care. It is a long and pricey process but some shelters offer discount vet services, spay/neuter and immunization. Go online. Network!

Many pet food and pet supply companies will send you coupons if you contact them. I called. DON'T give up. If you are a cat guardian you're a kitty hero! Try to get them homes. I am still trying to get some Savannah cats, a Blue Smoke, Calico, Marbled Tabby, Gold tabbies, Grey tabbies etc. adopted. I won't give up either. 32 have been saved I am amazed but it tells me the possibility to get all adopted is there. Don't give up! Kitty Kudos to you! Look around you. Someone you cross paths with is looking for a nice kitty. Maybe someone on this site!!!

Do not listen to negative comments. You are doing the right thing. If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem. I rarely have time to post but wanted to reply to all of you. Keep your chin up.
Oh, you done an awesome job. We do TNR and have several indoor cats. Our ferals are outside, we can't bring them in if we wanted to, it would be ideal but can't, our house is full.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The news on the feral front is that Thrasher and her kittens are here! They ate under the tarp by my back door with me standing nearby. It’s a start!
Given what you have told us about Thrasher, it is an excellent start! I can't tell you how happy I am to hear this.

~whispers softly~ Thrasher, baby, you don't know how good life can be! Trust, just a little, and a whole world of comfort and love is yours!

Status
Not open for further replies.