• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
9B3875D3-8A65-4AB5-9E27-693C06671F89.jpeg
1307447A-6B9A-4851-8A1A-08DEC9417BF9.jpeg
Such a beautiful baby! Kittens! Awwww!
Gorgeous little babes! Kittens are fascinating in their perfection. I caught a little guy Monday. He had the most perfect little striped tummy. I didn't get a good picture because he was so wiggly. But this is him:

View attachment 235706
I may be on here briefly the next night or two. I am getting desperate to catch the Mom cats and kittens. They made an appearance today. Then the rain started again. I am trying to rig up some shelter I can hide under to try and watch to get them. I can’t leave traps unattended here for even a very short time. The risk from two legged predators is too great. I am already tired but time is pressing. I got close to Thrasher today by laying where she crosses to the woods. She discovered me and literally pushed her kitten to the ground in an attempt to hide it from me. The kitten was curious about me and watched me from the place they retreated to. I think if Mom wasn’t guarding them I would have better luck but if I catch her before them then the woods and their path across the neighboring land will leave them very vulnerable. It is a dilemma I am going to have to work out. There are three moms with three babies each. I’m not sure where I will house them if I catch them. I had hoped that a few more of the socialized cats would have found a place by now but I guess I will find a solution if I catch the others. Counting my own kitties I have cared for 73 kitties over 9 months. What’s a few more?!?!? Lol Wish me luck and energy! Here are the pics I got today before the rain started. I will post my progress as I can. First pic is Thrasher pushing kitten to hide.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a loving, caring mama that kitten has! Now, if she would only realize that you mean nothing but good for them both!
00000000000000000.jpeg

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with the kitten catching! I hope they are still young enough to be tamed up quickly.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good luck trapping. :crossfingers: And again, thanks for all you're doing. :bouquet:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 surya surya and rubysmama rubysmama ! You are helping me to help them. It was a hard day but I made some good progress with Mitsy and her babies. I got them to eat in a carrier while I was trying to trap Thrasher and one of her kittens. There was a lot of disturbing noise tonight in the area. I did not get Thrasher or the baby and did not see her other two. I do think I spotted them just before I came in around 11:00 PM. Just a flash across the edge of the woods. I am going to keep trying. Because Thrasher has been injured by people and had babies killed she is very suspicious of everything. She is an amazing Mom. The fact that I ever had trust from her in the past was very fortunate. I hope the noise around here will stop and I will get another chance with her. I spent some hours with two kinds of traps set as well as baited carriers. Nothing was touched. I know that she knew I wa out there. As long as my neighbor leaves food out for the opossum it is going to be a challenge. I used chicken, baby food, cat food and my favorite bait, Carl Buddig ham. Traps were put where Thrasher likes to eat, hide and along the cat paths. May just be a matter of waiting. I got devoured by deer flies and mosquitos! Lol I used bug spray, Bounce fabric sheets, a mosquito net hat, long sleeves and even myrtle leaves. The bugs just laughed! I am going to soak my bites and rest for the new battle tomorrow. I will leave you all with the few pics I got today. The little kittens I did see are precious. Cute little tail on the silver!
4A17E773-1207-4910-9AEA-68C1026DE2B3.jpeg
B4926837-CED7-4E43-9ED9-62540D6F5FA9.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those of you who have seen the pics of Banjo and Whistle, Mitsy is their Mom. I caught all of Mitsy’s Siblings and they were adopted out a while back. I didn’t get Mitsy because she left when some of the cats in the area were killed. When she left she abandoned Banjo, Painter, Whistle and Cordial. Banjo and Whistle are scheduled to leave for their new home in three weeks. Cordial and Painter have already been adopted. I have been given a second chance with Mitsy. I hope it works. Her are Banjo and Whistle now.Even though I got them at an advanced age they are perfect little house guests!
794C1FE9-8DBD-40C5-ADCA-193F988620AB.jpeg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going to leave you with a laugh I hope! This is the second to oldest of my own kitties. A former feral rescue. Mackie. He is a happy cat and laughs a lot! I had just told him a good mouse joke!
4981AC5F-CBDB-4ED3-9A96-6D6CDFFFDFCA.jpeg

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Love that photo! I've always said that I'd like to start a business and name it "The Laughing Cat." He can be my logo and spokescat!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep, that last pic made me laugh. :) As did your comment about the bug just laughing at all your useless bug repellents. :biggrin:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you are from the Deep South (that's South of the Spanish Moss Line, y'all), you get used to spraying bug spray and seeing them come out with tiny straws!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Straws! That is too funny. I haven’t heard that one before and I grew up under the Spanish Moss. I got Mitsy and babies to eat in the carrier this morning. I will work my way closer tonight. I hope to get them. Thrasher and her kittens were a, “ no show.” I will hunt them again tonight as long as my stamina holds up. My age is playing tricks on me. I did get a closer look at the Mitsy babies today. Oh my they are cuties! The are a little younger than I thought. I am guessing about seven weeks. This makes adjusting easier for them if I can get them soon. Yay!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
C'mon Mitsy! You don't know what a sweet deal is in store for you and those babies!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well.....it has been a strained night. The kitties are okay. For those who know why I started this cat rescue, you will understand I have concerns tonight. I got new pictures earlier this afternoon and it was a good day of getting very close to Mitsy and the babies. I figured that by morning I would be able to bring them in. Tonight may be different. I believe Thrasher is hiding for good reason. There are trucks driving all through the woods next to my land. They are pulling right up to my fence and shining hunting lights in the yard. I went out in the dark to scoot all the kitties I saw into hiding places. Only saw two thank goodness. I wish I had made more progress today. If there is any way possible I will get them in first thing in the morning. I will be standing vigil tonight. I hid all the traps and anything that might point to where a cat might be. I am inside my house and can still hear the trucks revving through the woods. I hope they will leave soon. For now I can only try to guard the cats and hope. Thrasher is a very smart cat. I discovered one of her hiding places. It made me laugh that I have missed it. It is the one place that no trap can go and no person can climb to. I have a green house that is basically an 11 foot tall plastic bubble. Thrasher was sitting comfortably and washing herself right on the top. I think she may have even given me a smug smile. Claws are very good for climbing plastic domes! This is one reason you NEVER declaw a cat. She has been using her claws to reach a safe place at night. Babies too. I saw all three. I am so happy they are still okay. I still don’t know how I will catch her but I think I may have a new plan in the making. I will let you all know if it pans out. For now I must watch out for the kitties so I will post the pics of the day and try to stay awake. Good thing I got a catnap today! Lol Prayers or good wishes, thoughts or vibes of any kind and any faith are welcomed for the kitties. Pictures of Thrasher follow.
C69ED86D-6F0B-4B6A-9D13-7CDFE06C6DBE.jpeg
444620BB-E8FE-4D36-9E0A-29A7C99A82CC.jpeg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird Are they hunting the cats? Or looking for rabbits or something?

That's awful either way, doesn't the law prevent people from hunting on your land, particularly in your yard, without your permission?

Would the police do anything if you called and said the hunters are harassing you by revving their engines and shining lights into your yard? It seems there must be some law against firing guns into other people's yards, where their pets and children could be.

Such a terrible situation, I sometimes forget how lucky I am to live in a civilized country with incredibly strict gun laws.

Sending you and the cats love and protecting vibes.

:heartshape::vibes::heartshape::vibes::heartshape::vibes::heartshape::vibes::heartshape::vibes::heartshape:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1DBFDF12-0E93-4B62-889C-55B123323E6D.jpeg
Mitsy and her kittens. Finally I was able to get near without them vanishing into a place no trap can go. Yay. Mom did mostly fed them herself but they all entered the edge of the carrier. Mom was lured with chicken. I hope by morning they will enter the back of the carrier to really eat and I will have them. The approach to the chicken!
05FF10E2-D1BB-40D1-A99C-1EBE548C0A99.jpeg

The scent of chicken is perfume to a hungry mom!
41D5C254-39F0-499B-ABF6-CA1BB281FCAB.jpeg

Mom is tempted but......
CB622AC7-FCD9-4357-AA2D-9837C84C8EB9.jpeg

a good Mom pushes her babies away from a relatively new place.

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kittens listen to Mom and leave. Mom did snag the chicken. Then she took over the feeding of the babies. The little silver did not want to leave.
68E9F036-EE91-4211-AFE5-7901297FD409.jpeg
0623279C-A668-4268-A712-D585F2217083.jpeg
AB3C8A99-CAA4-4D66-8498-2696A33EF5A1.jpeg

Mother Mitsy insisted that the kittens turn away. Little silver was a bit miffed at not getting chicken and turned her back on the whole thing. Lol
9C88EBED-5D84-4763-A10A-BED628E0D207.jpeg

Sorry about the repeat of one of the pics in the previous post. Somehow I missed that.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird Are they hunting the cats? Or looking for rabbits or something?

That's awful either way, doesn't the law prevent people from hunting on your land, particularly in your yard, without your permission?

Would the police do anything if you called and said the hunters are harassing you by revving their engines and shining lights into your yard? It seems there must be some law against firing guns into other people's yards, where their pets and children could be.

Such a terrible situation, I sometimes forget how lucky I am to live in a civilized country with incredibly strict gun laws.

Sending you and the cats love and protecting vibes.

:heartshape::vibes::heartshape::vibes::heartshape::vibes::heartshape::vibes::heartshape::vibes::heartshape:
First! Thank you for the love and protecting vibes! I am very grateful and It does help me. I don’t know what they ate hunting. From past experience I have concerns that it was cats. I have reported past deaths. Although the authorities were sympathetic , you must have proof of who committed the crime. Proof being to catch the person in the act and photograph or video the incident. I have made reports to help build any future case. Too many times. The law is double edged. It sometimes protects the guilty. Of the many incidents, not all were by gun. Most were done at night and impossible for me to film, although I called 911 and the sound of shots fired near me were recorded. Police have the photos of the deceased. My property is long and getting to the noise takes running. I always arrive too late. My trail cams probably got the culprits but they got the trail cams. The woods are dense and even ten yards away I could not see who fired the weapon. This person is a sick and/or evil person. When word got around that I was pulling the cats in I started having other troubles. Authorities here are understaffed and underfunded. Any chase through the woods is usually futile when the criminal has a truck built for the terrain and officers are in cars built for the highway. I was told I should carry a weapon for safety. I did grow up around people who had to hunt to eat but I never have. Not a solution! One resident said that cats are only good for target practice. What can you do when you are confronted by a person who can say something like that? My solution is that I handle this by removing the targets. I had a couple of months of quiet. I hoped they had given up but then they destroyed the pump on my well and smashed water lines. Again, burden of proof is on me. I quietly repaired my pump and lines to demonstrate that they cannot stop me. Not the first vadalism. ( twenty years ago this was a great place to live, now horrible) Tonight is the first time in awhile they have let me see their truck lights. If I see them I find it advisable to quietly vanish into the dark. I watch and keep my camera and phone on me. I do wish that I could get help, BUT, I am near to getting the remaining cats. I hope that I can catch or trap the last few. The disturbances make it difficult. I can only do so much alone. One thing they probably don’t know is that when we get older we are not afraid of much for ourselves. What is of primary importance is saving life. I know I have rehomed kitties that will long outlive me. I find some solace in that. Tomorrow I will be back to catching any cat I can and working to get more of my rescues adopted far from here. If anyone can take a kitty..... I still need to find more homes! :catrub:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird That is so awful. And so scary. For the cats. But also for you too. Hopefully the remaining cats you need to trap are smarter than the horrible people trespassing on your property.

Do you have any way to borrow a drop trap from another rescue group. I know that's what @ashade1 uses for her more trap savvy kitties. She's also mentioned that most cats cannot resist the smell and temptation of KFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.