My Dad Told Me My Cat Is Ugly.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So this reminds me of when I visited my 97 year old grandma at the end of December. I showed her a picture of Lelia and after she asked if she was my dog and getting her to hear that Lelia's a cat she said "oh she's pretty.not like B who just looks like an alley cat." (My twin aunts live with grandma and take care of her. B is their 13ish year old cat), which was really hurtful to them (and ironic since Lelia is the reformed feral and B was born in the home of a former coworker of one of my aunts and had two known parents and newborn pictures).

My grandma just has less of a filter every year. :rolleyes: I don't suppose your dad is in his 90s?

I think Mittens is a cutie, btw.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What made my dad change his mind was my (former) feral Maggie. She loves him best. She sits on his lap and even sleeps with him. He talks all lovey-dovey to her and calls her "beautiful". If someone had told him years ago that he would have a feral cat sleeping in his bed, he would have laughed in their face. So maybe try to get your dad involved with the cats, have him feed them or give them treats.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Feral Cat Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
flamesabers flamesabers - It's not that my dad doesn't like cats he just likes certain ones and when we got the dog she became tops with him so that helped change some things. Before the dog came into his life one of our cats was his best buddy but the dog changed that.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
flamesabers flamesabers - It's not that my dad doesn't like cats he just likes certain ones and when we got the dog she became tops with him so that helped change some things. Before the dog came into his life one of our cats was his best buddy but the dog changed that.
That's sad, poor cat. Too bad he didn't have enough love for the both of them.....

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I made one small victory the other night. Mittens stayed in for the night, my dad didn't know at the time but so far he hasn't said anything about it. Mittens and I were both very happy.View attachment 219075
:yess: :clap: He is so loving and so beautiful. You should post this pic in the camouflage thread and post lots of pics of him in the tabby thread.:clap2::grouphug2: :hangin:

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
Def not ugly!
My dad isn't a fan of cats. He comes over to my place and insults my cats.

I guess it's a Dad thing? o_O:confused:
Nah, it's not a dad-thing. My father always had dogs and when was young (under 30) he bred and trained them too (mostly Boxers), but when he grew old and my mother's budgie had gone to bird heaven they acquired a cat. My father trained that cat to do all kinds of neat tricks like getting one small piece of bread spread with liverwurst from the edge of the table where he had put it when they had dinner, with the cat hanging from the edge of the table with both front feet to snatch it, then taking it on the floor to eat it to just do the trick again for another piece. He never jumped on the table. He had him altered when he got tired of finding every door but the front door which was locked, open every morning, then finding the cat crying below the bedroom window (they lived on the second floor) as he could not get back up to the window through which he had escaped. Neutering him stopped that behavior but he still opened every door so the cat had a bed and litter box in the bathroom to sleep at night, that door could be locked with a key from outside (overnight visitors were advised to lock the bathroom after they exited). When I visited and had to go to the bathroom at night the cat was in his bed and made no attempt to get out of it, just looked at me with his big eyes.