My cat WENT CRAZY, help 😪

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Were you able to consult with a vet? If you really feel in your gut that this is more than just a behavioral thing then I think you should take him to the vet and run some diagnostics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He will call me back today
He was supposed to do that Friday

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Depending on what type of antibiotic he was on, there are a few that can have a longer lasting effect on the body, even though the brux of the effects more likely last a couple of weeks. So, I suppose it could be possible for an antibiotic to play a role in his behavior - although to me it would be long-odds. You could also ask the vet if there is a way to test his testosterone level to see if that is a contributor.

When do you feed him in the morning? Could changing the timing perhaps be a 'test' you could try to see if that helps? Did you also consider trying any of the various calming products, as I previously mentioned, to see if one of them might help calm him a bit during those crazy morning hours?

And, I know you said you are on a high floor, but is it possible that someone new to the building is either letting their cat roam the hallways, or perhaps taking their cat outside at that time?

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Depending on what type of antibiotic he was on, there are a few that can have a longer lasting effect on the body, even though the brux of the effects more likely last a couple of weeks. So, I suppose it could be possible for an antibiotic to play a role in his behavior - although to me it would be long-odds. You could also ask the vet if there is a way to test his testosterone level to see if that is a contributor.

When do you feed him in the morning? Could changing the timing perhaps be a 'test' you could try to see if that helps? Did you also consider trying any of the various calming products, as I previously mentioned, to see if one of them might help calm him a bit during those crazy morning hours?

And, I know you said you are on a high floor, but is it possible that someone new to the building is either letting their cat roam the hallways, or perhaps taking their cat outside at that time?
I fed him when we wake up at 6:45

small quantity

then again 1 hour later

and then around 10ish
he eats a lot and I always had this habit of giving him smaller quantities to ease digestion

I tried feliway and nothing changed,thats actually when he got worse but it's not ON anymore

no, no cats around, impossible

the neighbor has a dog since last week but he has never been bored by dogs...the other neighbors had one forever and Adam always ignored his barks

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I tried feliway and nothing changed,thats actually when he got worse but it's not ON anymore
Not all calming products work the same way, and not all work on all cats. Just because Feliway didn't work doesn't mean another won't work. This is a trial and error process in order to find out if any would work on your cat.
he neighbor has a cat since last week but he has never been bored by dogs...
While one certain dog or one certain cat may not have an impact on another cat, this is kind of the same thing as the calming products - a totally different dog - or cat - can have an affect.

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another thing is that he noticed birds flying in the sky, I would say 1.5 months ago, for the first time

im on a high floor and we have a 180 degrees view, full width windows

not sure if that brought up his "hunter" instinct

but I don't think that could be enough for him to go this crazy and change his behavior this much

another thing is my presence

been thinking about this a lot

I work from home and I'm with him from 6:30am to 10:30pm most days of the week

we interact a lot and he is referring to me constantly

I think this is not helping cause he is meowing for any small need or feeling or though he has

Another thing is about food

always fed him many times a day cause I was here and I wanted to ease digestion

but now that he is eating a LOT, I wonder if having these small bites of food make him nervous

From tomorrow I might try to feed him a bigger portion when we wake up, like double amount

play with him 10 minutes only

And then leave and be out for the whole morning

I have a webcam so I can see what he is doing when I'm out

About hyperesthesia, he has some of those symptoms like crazy runs, licking his back/tail, alerted eyes/pupils but he doesn't look like he is hallucinating or he is in pain or running away from something. He has never injured or scratched or bit himself either. And when he finally calm down, he would sleep the rest of the day and be pretty calm

if I would have to describe the new post surgery/past month Adam, I would say he is like a "a lion in a cage", in the mornings

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like I really need to see a video of what's happening to make a better judgement. Your cat is still very much a young kitten and being full of energy and needing to release it in a small apartment can be quite normal. Cats are also most active in the morning and right before bed (they hunt at dawn and dusk). Does he sleep through the night? He's reserving all his energy for you in the morning.

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel like I really need to see a video of what's happening to make a better judgement. Your cat is still very much a young kitten and being full of energy and needing to release it in a small apartment can be quite normal. Cats are also most active in the morning and right before bed (they hunt at dawn and dusk). Does he sleep through the night? He's reserving all his energy for you in the morning.
months ago he would wake me up at night....he is in the living room, I'm in the bedroom next to it, walls are thin

now it's under control cause I use ear plugs and some ambient music ahaha

but yes I'm pretty sure he sleeps most of the night, from 11pm to 6:30am

he has a feeder that gives him food at 4:30 and 6:30

Before using the feeder sometimes at 4-5-6 am he would start meowing like crazy

now he does not

ill try to attach some videos soon even tho I wasn't able to record when he is at his craziest and licking his tail or meowing loud

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First time ever having this aggressive behavior and "growling" :(

he is like getting super nervous and aggressive

Adam

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He was neutered 28 days ago and since after the first week he is like keep building this aggressiveness and agitation

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
First time ever having this aggressive behavior and "growling" :(

he is like getting super nervous and aggressive

Adam

This video on its own looks like regular play behavior. I don't' see anything unusual here. It looks like you've taught him to treat your arm as a toy and that's what he's doing. It looks like you were moving your hand around when the video began and he responded to it like a toy. He didn't attack you out of nowhere. I didn't hear a growl anywhere - was there a growl in the video?

I don't think this behavior is aggressive. If it were aggressive you would be bleeding. This is normal play behavior for a kitten. I don't play with my cats using any of my body parts because then they learn that it's a toy. Do you have any interactive toys to play with him with? When he starts attacking your arm I would redirect him to a toy.

Last edited:

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
This is how cats play with each other:

It may look aggressive based on human standards, but this is normal for cats.

As it states in the video, "male cats engage in rough play behavior well into their teens"

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Never done this in 14 months, he would just use his paws without nails and he has never opened his mouth as he did at the end of the video

you gotta believe me on this, I have been with him every day for 12 months

The question is: is it possible for males to build up aggressiveness after neutering ?

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Never done this in 14 months, he would just use his paws without nails and he has never opened his mouth as he did at the end of the video

you gotta believe me on this, I have been with him every day for 12 months

The question is: is it possible for males to build up aggressiveness after neutering ?
But you gotta understand that he's a kitten and he's still growing. He's also in his teenage phase which is the worst phase for male aggressiveness. Nothing in that video was strange or alarming. Cats will use their claws and teeth while play fighting or playing with toys. Just because he never did it before doesn't mean that there's something wrong now. I'm not saying that there may not be any other underlying issue, but honestly from what you've said so far and the video you've showed me it just sounds like a regular male kitten. If he is eating, pooping, sleeping, and peeing normally and has lots of energy then I would be happy that he is healthy. You just need to find a good play routine with him that doesn't involve your body parts and that tires him out - he obviously has a lot of energy that builds up being an only cat inside of a small apartment.

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I understand you and I'm thankful for you taking the time to answer.

the thing that is odd is the timing and that is the reason why I'm worrying

the timing of getting him neutered and everybody tells you that he will get calmer

I loved him and loved the way he was

I didn't neutered him to get him calmer, I did because everybody told me was the right thing to do for his health

And now after the neuter, I almost can't recognize him, every day is more nervous and aggressive

This video is just a small part of his changed behavior

- staring outside frantically
- huge jumps where he almost lose control (few times almost fell....before he was totally in control)
- crazy runs at max speed where He almost hit chairs and he hit the drywall once (like he has some aggressiveness and hormones that control his body)
- meowing, more frequent, louder, for no reasons (he is not asking for food)
- and these 2-3 days for the first time in 13 months, while he has these moments he opens his mouth, showing teeth and "blow/breath deeply" (don't know how to describe it in english)

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I understand you and I'm thankful for you taking the time to answer.

the thing that is odd is the timing and that is the reason why I'm worrying

the timing of getting him neutered and everybody tells you that he will get calmer

I loved him and loved the way he was

I didn't neutered him to get him calmer, I did because everybody told me was the right thing to do for his health

And now after the neuter, I almost can't recognize him, every day is more nervous and aggressive

This video is just a small part of his changed behavior

- staring outside frantically
- huge jumps where he almost lose control (few times almost fell....before he was totally in control)
- crazy runs at max speed where He almost hit chairs and he hit the drywall once (like he has some aggressiveness and hormones that control his body)
- meowing, more frequent, louder, for no reasons (he is not asking for food)
- and these 2-3 days for the first time in 13 months, while he has these moments he opens his mouth, showing teeth and "blow/breath deeply" (don't know how to describe it in english)
If you feel really deeply that something is wrong then by all means have him looked at by a vet, but nothing you describe here is worrying to me. My cats do all of the things you just listed. This is normal cat behavior and cats go through a lot of changes in behavior and personality in their teenage years so it's not abnormal for you to see these changes now. Have you ever had a cat before? Maybe you're just not used to their quirks. Usually a cat's behavior wouldn't be described as "aggressive" unless they are outright attacking you to the point that you are bleeding. This may sound silly but I really recommend watching "My Cat From Hell." In pretty much every single one of the cases Jackson Galaxy teaches the human how to have proper and regular play times.