My cat WENT CRAZY, help 😪

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Almost sounds like feline hyperesthesia
We have a tabby that has spells of this every so often. Acts like he's covered in biting insects and can't get away from them. Acts like he sees things that aren't there and they are trying to get him, and he tries to get away. Sometimes his fur will "ripple".
We have a bobcat that gets this way as well. Usually, traced back to scents/smells. Scented trash bags, Too much candle scent, Stinkbugs, and even....his own poop smell every so often. He just goes hyper zoomie crazy nuts!
It's horrible to watch, but it generally goes away within 15 minutes. If it goes on longer than that, we give them Benadryl.
Gosh, I researched that and yes my cat's skin on his back just above his tail ripples sometimes

He always had

I notice it every other week
and he licks that area pretty often while having those runs

I have to say that he always had this even when he was calmer

Now I'm going to think about odors or allergens he might encounter in my apartment

and I'll check for mites or something similar

I brush him everyday, a lot on his back and I read it's not something to do with cats having this "rippling skin" condition

I'm really hoping is something related to some exterior circumstance and not genetic

I read it can also be related to food allergies

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh, I researched that and yes my cat's skin on his back just above his tail ripples sometimes

He always had

I notice it every other week
and he licks that area pretty often while having those runs

I have to say that he always had this even when he was calmer

Now I'm going to think about odors or allergens he might encounter in my apartment

and I'll check for mites or something similar

I brush him everyday, a lot on his back and I read it's not something to do with cats having this "rippling skin" condition

I'm really hoping is something related to some exterior circumstance and not genetic

I read it can also be related to food allergies
It can also be really normal - most often it is. It happens when they are hyper and want to hunt or even sometimes when they want food.

I think the thing to realize is that cats are predators, they are very different from humans. So these hyperactive behaviors that seem strange to us are really normal for them. Cats sleep a lot to conserve energy and then release it all at once during a hunt. The best way to curb this behavior is to have regular play times.

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It can also be really normal - most often it is. It happens when they are hyper and want to hunt or even sometimes when they want food.

I think the thing to realize is that cats are predators, they are very different from humans. So these hyperactive behaviors that seem strange to us are really normal for them. Cats sleep a lot to conserve energy and then release it all at once during a hunt. The best way to curb this behavior is to have regular play times.
that's true but I have seen his skin at theend of his spine ripples several times

and when he has these crazy runs, he stops and lick/bite that area

Now, I have read that most times it's related to stress, allergies or strong odors

There are vets that consider this hyperesthesia a non illness but just a symptom of stress caused by other causes (flea bites, spinal injury like a bulging disc, food or scents allergies)

I have read about a cat showing these signs right after the castration surgery, exactly like my cat

so I'm assuming it was either the stress from it or the antibiotic

he also has some chin acne but I don't think it's that

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
that's true but I have seen his skin at theend of his spine ripples several times

and when he has these crazy runs, he stops and lick/bite that area

Now, I have read that most times it's related to stress, allergies or strong odors

There are vets that consider this hyperesthesia a non illness but just a symptom of stress caused by other causes (flea bites, spinal injury like a bulging disc, food or scents allergies)

I have read about a cat showing these signs right after the castration surgery, exactly like my cat

so I'm assuming it was either the stress from it or the antibiotic

he also has some chin acne but I don't think it's that
I guess it could be stress. But 2 out of 3 of my cats do that too. Their spines ripple and they run and vocalize like crazy when they have the zoomies. They also often stop to lick themselves. I think if he calms down after about 15 minutes and is back to normal it's probably the case of the zoomies. What's your play routine with him like?

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess it could be stress. But 2 out of 3 of my cats do that too. Their spines ripple and they run and vocalize like crazy when they have the zoomies. They also often stop to lick themselves. I think if he calms down after about 15 minutes and is back to normal it's probably the case of the zoomies. What's your play routine with him like?
Yes I guess it's just a different way of describing and analyzing these cat behaviors

the playtime routine with him has always been around 10-20 min of energetic play in the morning where I try to chase him and then he chases me, then throwing paper balls and he literally jumps to grab the balls on the sofa, crazy runs

then I would see him just stop and rest on the floor and that was the end of it

After the surgery, no play time for a week except for using those colorful strings of fabric

last 2-3 weeks because of his augmented craziness I kind of slowed down a lot with the playtime cause I thought "maybe it's me wih me behavior that stimulate him to much and make him anxious"

but I'm not sure

maybe the best would be playing with him but witj calmer and sweeter types of play

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I guess it's just a different way of describing and analyzing these cat behaviors

the playtime routine with him has always been around 10-20 min of energetic play in the morning where I try to chase him and then he chases me, then throwing paper balls and he literally jumps to grab the balls on the sofa, crazy runs

then I would see him just stop and rest on the floor and that was the end of it

After the surgery, no play time for a week except for using those colorful strings of fabric

last 2-3 weeks because of his augmented craziness I kind of slowed down a lot with the playtime cause I thought "maybe it's me wih me behavior that stimulate him to much and make him anxious"

but I'm not sure

maybe the best would be playing with him but witj calmer and sweeter types of play
I think you should do at least 2 regular play sessions with him a day. The lack of play time will make the energetic episodes worse. And I think you should tire him out during the play sessions. The running and chasing games are good. It sounds to me that he needs more opportunities to release his energy.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
This is what normal zoomies look like - if you had 2 cats they would do it together. :)
You can see the hair on the back of the cat that's grooming at :55 starting to twitch. That's typical during zoomies. Vocalizations at the beginning are all normal too and can be even louder and more dragged out.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
It would be great if we could see a video of your kitty, or see if you can get one and send it to your vet.

Along with the possibility of hyperesthesia or a super sensitivity to a medicine, which is why I'm suggesting letting your vet know, or a fragrance in his environment, I personally think it's also possible that another pet moved into an apartment near enough to you that he can detect it.

In other words, there are several variables/scenarios and you'll need to try and work your way through the list as best you can.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Here's another normal case of the zoomies with lots of back twitching:

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

On the first video I saw no rippling skin

On this guy, yes, a lot

In my eyes the first 2 cats behaviors is perfectly fine and they look happy

this guy here is more on the anxious side

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
On the first video I saw no rippling skin

On this guy, yes, a lot

In my eyes the first 2 cats behaviors is perfectly fine and they look happy

this guy here is more on the anxious side
The 2nd cat is completely normal to me. The difference to me is that the first cat was releasing more of the energy by playing with another cat and had more space to run. The 2nd cat had less space and no play buddy to release the energy with (not even human). But both are completely normal.

The 2nd cat is also younger and so he will have more intense zoomies, same with your young cat.

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Let me ask you this

any of your cats, when you grab them from the floor to let them rest in your arms, have their rear legs twitch ?

Never seen my cat having twitches when by himself besides the rippling back skin

but when I take him from the floor, I "flip" him to have him belly up in my arms, sometimes, one of his legs twich/kick out like a sudden spasm

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The 2nd cat is completely normal to me. The difference to me is that the first cat was releasing more of the energy by playing with another cat and had more space to run. The 2nd cat had less space and no play buddy to release the energy with (not even human). But both are completely normal.

The 2nd cat is also younger and so he will have more intense zoomies, same with your young cat.
Yes maybe I'm just over paranoiac now
The fact is that when I read about that "hyperesthesia" matching my cat's behavior...it sounded like a serious condition, an illness so I was kind of shocked

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Let me ask you this

any of your cats, when you grab them from the floor to let them rest in your arms, have their rear legs twitch ?

Never seen my cat having twitches when by himself besides the rippling back skin

but when I take him from the floor, I "flip" him to have him belly up in my arms, sometimes, one of his legs twich/kick out like a sudden spasm
It's hard to tell what you're describing without seeing a video, but it sounds like he's just playing, especially if you're flipping him belly up. Sometimes cats on their backs will use their hind legs to kick at their prey.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes maybe I'm just over paranoiac now
The fact is that when I read about that "hyperesthesia" matching my cat's behavior...it sounded like a serious condition, an illness so I was kind of shocked
It would be best if we could see a video. If I were you I would try lots of regular and intense play sessions and see if it helps.

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. None of your extra info and theories ring any bells with me. I'd be more inclined to think there is something going on around/outside your home - such as another cat looming in the area during those morning hours and he can sense the cat's presence. Or, construction nearby that his upsetting him. Things of that nature. It can be something you take for granted, or are unaware of, that is a much bigger deal to him.

You also can't rule out pain, although I don't know why that would be occurring only in the morning hours. When do you feed him - in the morning, or not until lunch? It could be the dietary change combined with hormonal changes that is causing him to get hungry quicker/more easily.

There are other calming products you could try to give him during those hours when he is agitated - one such product is called Bach Rescue Remedy, which are drops you rub into a cat's ears. A lot of people use them to help calm/relax their cat before a vet visit. However, not all calming products work on all cats, so you might have to experiment with a few to see which one would work for him. Just search the internet for 'cat calming products.

Hopefully other members will come along soon and offer some other ideas/thoughts!!!
There may have been or still maybe another male lurking about your property even marking, therefore making your Adam agitated. I use Feliway, I’m a big advocate for it because it helped my cats immensely. Other than another animal he’s able to smell, I can’t think of anything that would upset him so much. Love and hugs

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Cats that feel like their territory is threatened use cautious movements, they stay low to the ground and may display marking behavior. In my experience they don't become hyperactive and start vocalizing.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what normal zoomies look like - if you had 2 cats they would do it together. :)
You can see the hair on the back of the cat that's grooming at :55 starting to twitch. That's typical during zoomies. Vocalizations at the beginning are all normal too and can be even louder and more dragged out.

That looks like normal "zoomies" to me. What I'm talking about isn't like that. They act like they are trying to get away from a bunch of bees that are stinging them.

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update:

I'm playing more with him but I'm getting the opposite result. He is more and more agitated and vivacious

he spends the whole morning from 7:30 to 11-12p chasing things, meowing, running, biting stuff, jumping

I'm so sad cause he was very active but never this troubled until 1 month ago, before the neutering.

I still hope it's the testosterone in his body that is not finding any release.

but I'm worried about more serious matters like hyperesthesia or something caused by the antibiotics

so sad to see him changed this much for the worst :(

I was even able to fix his stomach after many months of loose stool, I'm now cooking turkey and mixing it with buffalo basics turkey, his stool is perfect