• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had 5 cats

What is normal for one, could be not normal for another cat

it's not normal/not normal per se, it's related to a change

That's why I keep asking if anybody has experienced an augmented nervousness after a neutering

that is the point

Adam is healthy I don't want him to go to the vet and get stressed more

I stopped at the vet myself this morning to talk with the doc, he only said "for up to 2 months he might have testosterone going on"

I knew that

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, well it's hard for us to give a proper judgement without knowing or being with your cat. I do think that your gut feelings are good to follow, I'm just saying that based on what you've said and posted here I am not too concerned.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
After watching that video, it's normal for him. He's got a TON of energy, and I'm also thinking he's a little bored.

You need to avoid letting him bite you, but otherwise he's displaying completely normal behavior for his age.

That's why I keep asking if anybody has experienced an augmented nervousness after a neutering
As to the timing of this behavior related to his neutering, his activity level is associated with his age, not his surgery.

Try other toys, wand style ones might work well for him as well as a ripple rug, and try taking him for walks if at all possible - he needs more physical exercise but he really needs more mental exercise.

crazy runs at max speed where He almost hit chairs and he hit the drywall once (like he has some aggressiveness and hormones that control his body)
These are normal zoomies for a lot of cats. My 14 year old boy who was neutered when he was a kitten, charges full speed up the stairs, and has been known to not pay enough attention when he's in zoomie mode and will smack into things as he races past.

Be calm, help your cat with mental exercise and other means of physical exercise, and enjoy him :)!

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last thing

In the last weeks I see him scratching his ears and chest more often

and sometimes shakes his head

he might have gotten mites at the vet ?

I got revolution from the vet and I'm planning to use it

Maybe mites are making him nervous ?

I don't know, we'll see

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last thing

In the last weeks I see him scratching his ears and chest more often

and sometimes shakes his head

he might have gotten mites at the vet ?

I got revolution from the vet and I'm planning to use it

Maybe mites are making him nervous ?

I don't know, we'll see
If he has mites, revolution only will not help: it's good at preventing the mites but with existing infestation you need to get a proper ear ointment. Have you checked his ears? How do they look like inside?
But yeah, it's totally possible that he got something at the vet. It happens more than people think, especially with kittens, but it's rather rare with healthy adult cats.
- and these 2-3 days for the first time in 13 months, while he has these moments he opens his mouth, showing teeth and "blow/breath deeply" (don't know how to describe it in english)
you mean hissing? wheezing? that's something I would be concerned about

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His ears are very clean from what I can see.

Yes, hissing, that's the word !
At the end of that video he did that.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl's behaviour changed when she was around 1.5yo; she was always super active cat and that continued, but she started meowing a lot and asking for a play non stop. I attributed it to the boredom, she requires constant stimulation and she seemed to be fed up that we weren't always doing what she wanted us to do. When she was a kitten, we played with her whenever we could (and I was staying home a lot at that time so I mean we really played a lot) so she sort of always expected us to entertain her, which was no longer possible. Very regular and long play sessions helped a lot, now we play with her each morning 1-2h, and each evening 1-2h. She gets bored with particular toy after 15mins so we need to change the toy/play several times, but luckily she's a good director and she often leads us to the other toy/place she wants to play with. That really seemed to calm her down for the remaining day/night. I don't know if that's what's happening with Adam, but if I were you, I'd try to really exhaust him regularly twice a day for a week to see if anything changes. If it does, it could mean that's simply boredom and playfulness that's driving him. Then you could even consider adding another cat as a living toy for Adam?

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My girl's behaviour changed when she was around 1.5yo; she was always super active cat and that continued, but she started meowing a lot and asking for a play non stop. I attributed it to the boredom, she requires constant stimulation and she seemed to be fed up that we weren't always doing what she wanted us to do. When she was a kitten, we played with her whenever we could (and I was staying home a lot at that time so I mean we really played a lot) so she sort of always expected us to entertain her, which was no longer possible. Very regular and long play sessions helped a lot, now we play with her each morning 1-2h, and each evening 1-2h. She gets bored with particular toy after 15mins so we need to change the toy/play several times, but luckily she's a good director and she often leads us to the other toy/place she wants to play with. That really seemed to calm her down for the remaining day/night. I don't know if that's what's happening with Adam, but if I were you, I'd try to really exhaust him regularly twice a day for a week to see if anything changes. If it does, it could mean that's simply boredom and playfulness that's driving him. Then you could even consider adding another cat as a living toy for Adam?
That's a thought I have and I'm trying to notice a correlation between play time and his nervousness

At the moment I feel that if I play with him, a lot, I kind of stimulate him even more

it becomes an addiction

I remember once I made a special toy for him, a blue fabric bracelet attached to a fishing line and I would use it throw this thing to him

he would grab it and bring it into his favorite spot and wanted me to pull

he was addicted to it, too much

cause i place that toy in a drawer and he would stay below the drawer meowing constantly, even at night

i had to make him forget about this toy over time or he would just become crazily obsessed with it

every time I bringh home a new toy, he seems to get more agitate

honestly I'm trying to make him calmer

not because I want a plush toy instead of a cat but because I really think he needs a balance and some sort of tranquillity

I can't get another cat cause it's already a lot of work for me,Id love to if I had a bigger house, maybe a little garden and maybe somebody to help me managing them a bit

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I had to buy a new toy that can get him "peacefully" entertained for a long time, which one is the best ?

I work from home and I start at 9 and past that I can't really play with him....but if he is around me meowing and running and scratching is really bothersome for my work being in the same room

What about those laser robots ?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like his reactions to the toys are great. You want him to be interested and play hard. That’s how you calm him - by giving him lots of opportunities to release his energy. He won’t calm down the way a human does.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like his reactions to the toys are great. You want him to be interested and play hard. That’s how you calm him - by giving him lots of opportunities to release his energy. He won’t calm down the way a human does.
Exactly!
You need to tire him out so that he calms down. In fact some people work this way too, I never relax mentally unless I exhaust myself physically (although if I had a job requiring physical effort, I'd relax differently I think).

If I had to buy a new toy that can get him "peacefully" entertained for a long time, which one is the best ?
This kind of interactive toys never worked with my girl. She's only entertained with real interaction with another living being. And you can't trick her either, you can't watch TV while moving a wand, no, she requires a real attention with 100% engagement. That's why these long, tiring, intensive play sessions are so useful to her as she really has a chance to burn her energy in a good way. She'd be frustrated if her energy was suppressed, as every human/cat/dog would be. So if I were you, I'd try that too, who knows, maybe it's the same case. And yes, we needed to change our schedules and we wake up earlier to accommodate play with this little monster.

We mostly play with her with wand toys (DaBird is magic, although we have several others, none has the same diabolic effect), she likes to chase them on and between high cat towers, under big pieces of packing paper, under/on furniture, especially on a bed with "crispy" bedspread, we also run around with strings she chases, we play hokey under the doors, we simulate wrestling with a big kickaroo toys (carrot and cucumber rule!) filled with catnip. My husband is lazier than me and he loves to get her into the fabric bag with some string she tries to kill while he drags her around our place (also not big apartment, around 800sqft). We make her jump on the wall chasing the laser dot. The point of all of this is to exhaust her as much as possible so that she gives us a break for the rest of the day and it's been working great. But it's not enough for her by no means, she would still get zoomies by herself which I love and I consider totally normal, and she plays with other cat if she manages to wake his lazy ass, but she no longer expect us to entertain her as she knows there's time for this. And she stopped crying which was most worrying for me.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, hissing, that's the word !
My Mawkin didn't hiss until she was 2yr when she met another cat that hissed. She liked the new sound so much she hissed at everything for a month. Toys, dinner, people, just walking across the room. For the next 12yr it was her first choice when annoyed.

It's normal for a cat to hiss and growl as part of their play. Maybe he heard a hiss at the vets, tried doing it, and likes how it feels. It's possible he had more hormanal activity that you didn't witness and now has more energy to play. It sounds like he was very well socialized to play with a soft mouth and paws. In his excitement he might be forgeting his manners and needs a refresher course. When he uses his nails make a noise to let him know and walk away.

At 15 mt he's also becoming more of an adult. Around 16-18mt is when my adult cats started treating the youngsters as more equal in play and didn't let them win as much. I'm not sure if adulthood would make is playing more serious.

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How much time per day do you play with him? I have a very energetic girl with lots of the same behaviors, and if I play with her only 10-20 minutes at a time, it does seem like she becomes more intense and excited. However, if I give her a LONG and TIRING playtime (45 minutes to 2 hours, with a couple breaks in between), to get her running and jumping and she is breathing hard and panting with her tongue out... then after that she finally calms down. It takes a LONG time though.

It could be you just have an active cat with a lot of energy who isn’t getting enough stimulation. I noticed Clove seemed to gain more energy after she was spayed, and also after I changed her food. At first I wondered if something was wrong with her but now I just accept her as a sweet but very energetic cat, and I do my best to give her a LOT of playtime every day. She is much happier when she is tired out every day. When I watch that video he reminds me of her.

I know what you mean about the “addiction” to a certain toy - Clove is like that too - but I think his fixation on it is probably a sign that he needs *more* intensive playtime, not less. I usually rotate through 5-6 different toys so she doesn’t get too obsessed.

Maybe next time you have a free day, try playing with him intensely and interactively for a long, long time, with a fishing rod style toy - make him run, jump, pounce, catch it, a few minute’s break, and start again - and see how long it takes for him to become exhausted. Get him as tired as you can, even if it takes over an hour, then give him a meal or a good treat and put the toy away. Hopefully, he will groom and then take a nap.

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How much time per day do you play with him? I have a very energetic girl with lots of the same behaviors, and if I play with her only 10-20 minutes at a time, it does seem like she becomes more intense and excited. However, if I give her a LONG and TIRING playtime (45 minutes to 2 hours, with a couple breaks in between), to get her running and jumping and she is breathing hard and panting with her tongue out... then after that she finally calms down. It takes a LONG time though.

It could be you just have an active cat with a lot of energy who isn’t getting enough stimulation. I noticed Clove seemed to gain more energy after she was spayed, and also after I changed her food. At first I wondered if something was wrong with her but now I just accept her as a sweet but very energetic cat, and I do my best to give her a LOT of playtime every day. She is much happier when she is tired out every day. When I watch that video he reminds me of her.

I know what you mean about the “addiction” to a certain toy - Clove is like that too - but I think his fixation on it is probably a sign that he needs *more* intensive playtime, not less. I usually rotate through 5-6 different toys so she doesn’t get too obsessed.

Maybe next time you have a free day, try playing with him intensely and interactively for a long, long time, with a fishing rod style toy - make him run, jump, pounce, catch it, a few minute’s break, and start again - and see how long it takes for him to become exhausted. Get him as tired as you can, even if it takes over an hour, then give him a meal or a good treat and put the toy away. Hopefully, he will groom and then take a nap.
Thanks so much for this message
Seems like we have similar cats and if that's the case, I'm relieved

gonna keep you updated :)

maxifro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is a lot of construction around but there always been since forever. The change is abruptly happened in the last 10 days after the neutering/new food/feliway.

It's evident.
The neighbors are the same as usual.

starting yesterday I rolled back to Turkey, no feliway...let's see what happens :/
It sounds like it might be something in his environment. Cats are very sensitive to sound and are easily distracted by other animals. Is he a very active cat? Maybe he wants interaction with another cat as he might be bored and require more stimulation.

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

update from today:

Been playing with him for 4 hours with breaks in between

and he is not tired yet

He seems to not be as aggressive as he was yesterday cause maybe the

BUT he is still awake and meowing asking for more attention and playtime when he usually would be sleeping for 1-2 hours already

so playtime kind of excite and agitate him even more

So, well, I don't know. I think I will have to hire somebody to play with him all day đŸ˜†đŸ€ŠđŸ»â€â™‚ïž

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
PS: I really hope he will calm down over time where he would ask for 2-3 sets of 30min playtime only and then rest peacefully

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, this is not working. He is been up and awake since 6:30 to now 2pm

and he is meowing more than ever

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That method only worked with my cat when we established routine and she understood that. So I would keep playing with him for another week or more for no more than 2 hours and then see if it changes anything. Yes, my girl also wanted to play more at the beginning. If it was her choice, she’d play with a human all the time.
Hang in there!

Mrcclms

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another thing happening after this neutering

He is always sniffing at some spots to smell something

you hear his nose sniffing hard at the floor or counter or sofa
never done that

I see something abnormal with his hormones after the neutering

I should have never done it