Modestly Priced Canned Cat Food In Canada

kittykittykittykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I just got a 5 month old kitten and hes wonderful, very affectionate and playful. The problem is I dont have alot of income right now (I can certainly afford a cat but not spend a ton of money) Seeing good quality cat food for like 1.50 for a 85g can is outrageous. I am wondering if anyone in Canada can give some good advice on canned cat food? I am looking for 1.00-1.40/1.50 for a 156g can of food. I've been looking around but theres so much to choose from with differentiating reviews. I feed him friskies for now and he like's it alot but I heard its like the Mcdonalds of cat food. I would be okay with some grains in it but with more real meat and not "mystery meat". Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Same here. I just got few cans of Whole Earth Farm, CAD1.59 per 141g. The ingredients look OK and it's made in USA. Will give it a try tomorrow.
My girl has Friskies poultry plater addiction. Any wet food needs to be mixed with it before she would eat :(

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello K kittykittykittykitty , I'm tabbytom and on the behalf of The Catsite community, I warmly welcome you to TCS :wave3:

I'm a Mentor here and if you should need help getting around or if you have any questions, feel free to ask me. I'm here to help.
If not, you can post your questions directly in the respective forum pages.

We have several Canadian members here. They might be able to help you regarding your questions.

Do check out the important reading materials in the Articles section and also browse around the informative forum threads.

In the meanwhile, here's some readings for you to help you get around the site
New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
How To Share Articles And News On The Forums In An Effective Way
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

And take some time to introduce yourself and your kitty to the community here New Cats on the Block

Once again, welcome and hope to see you often on the site :wink:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Perfomatrin makes a good canned food if you have a pet value near your home. They have a ton of flavours and three different sizes of cans. Indy likes the fish and liver flavours.

Evie's Mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Canadian here!
I feed my baby Authority chicken and liver pate. They only make the one flavor. No meat by products or carrageenan.
A 6oz can (170g) is only $1.50 at PetSmart.
She also eats Good Natured wet food, that one costs a little more, 3oz for $0.89. Also from PetSmart.

Oscar&Copper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I highly suggest heading to a PetValu as a pp mentioned. One of the foods regularly in my rotation is large cans of Performatrin Ultra grain free. When I did the math on price per gram in the large can, it's a decent price. The regular Performatrin is slightly less expensive still. PetValu has so many choices you'll be overwhelmed and excited all at once. lol And they have great sales.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Perfomatrin is what my Indy eats she is a picky cat too. Perfomatrin cans also can be used for limited ingredient or food intolerance too since they usually contain only one or two proteins much cheaper than the veterinary food.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
If you go with pet value you should get the my rewards card too, it's free and you get a discount when you buy 24 cans of food, you can even mix and match flavours.

Oscar&Copper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you go with pet value you should get the my rewards card too, it's free and you get a discount when you buy 24 cans of food, you can even mix and match flavours.
I thought that was just for dry food!! Good to know, I need this. Thanks!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im also from Canada.

We now order weruva paw licken chicken from amazon. It was just over 2 dollars a can compared to 2.69 at the big pet outlet stores (5 oz can). However be careful on the amazon deals as often suppliers will ask a ridiculous price, ie 2 or 3 times the market price, so make sure you compare carefully. We also only order from a supplier that gives free shipping.

I have found petsmart has amazing deals on from time to time.

They just had 40 dollars off on a purchase of 100 dollars. I did it twice and this offer could be used on food that was already on sale. In addition you can get a free "pet perks" card giving you additional deals.

KyaraRose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'm using performatin on my kitten, and she's suddenly stopped eating. Someone suggested she's sick of it, but they only have the one flavor for kittens. She's only 3 months. Can I get the adult formula and add something else... Or...?