Any moderately-priced duck flavored canned food out there?

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, what a mixed bag. Robin has finally discovered a canned food he not only likes, but LOVES, And actually EATS. Not only eats, but INHALES. Which means finally, no more waste.

The problem? It's Merrick grain-free duck pate. Not sure if it's the limited ingredient stuff but almost certain it is, as this food was from my sister after her IBD Kitty passed. [emoji]128532[/emoji] And he could not eat normal proteins.

The sticker says $2.50 a can. At that rate, Id have to limit his canned severely, though if he actually EATS it, it might be worth it. But now that I'm certain he likes duck, I'd like to see if there are any other brands out there with duck as the main or only meat ingredient. I looked online but wow--hardly any!!!!

So I figure I'd go to the best source of cat information in the planet and ask the members here at TCS...are there any other brands of canned food with duck with a more moderate price? Or place that sells Merrick?
Thanks so much!!

journey kitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, what a mixed bag. Robin has finally discovered a canned food he not only likes, but LOVES, And actually EATS. Not only eats, but INHALES. Which means finally, no more waste.

The problem? It's Merrick grain-free duck pate. Not sure if it's the limited ingredient stuff but almost certain it is, as this food was from my sister after her IBD Kitty passed. [emoji]128532[/emoji] And he could not eat normal proteins.

The sticker says $2.50 a can. At that rate, Id have to limit his canned severely, though if he actually EATS it, it might be worth it. But now that I'm certain he likes duck, I'd like to see if there are any other brands out there with duck as the main or only meat ingredient. I looked online but wow--hardly any!!!!

So I figure I'd go to the best source of cat information in the planet and ask the members here at TCS...are there any other brands of canned food with duck with a more moderate price? Or place that sells Merrick?
Thanks so much!!
I actually made one once...

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats love the Merrick LID duck. I found a receipt and see that I paid $1.49 per 5-ounce can at an independent store. Our local Petco sells it, too, and it costs a little more there.

If Robin likes that you could try him on their turkey and chicken, too. We haven't tried the chicken but the cats love the turkey almost as much as the duck. They seem like very decent foods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Th
Check out Chewy.com. The price breaks down to $1.47 a can if you spend $49 or more.
ats an incredibly good price! Hardly that much more than the Purina Beyond cans in the store, which he will only nibble. Thank you!

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep just chiming in to say buying cases from Chewy is usually the most affordable option. Merrick's LID duck is probably the best canned option you'll find. 

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy all food except Soulistic (only Petco) at chewy.com. My cats love Merrick duck and chicken lid and regular pate, I believe regular still has carageenan. They also like nutro natural chunky chicken, red barn tricky chicky stew, earthborne chicken jumble, Soulistic good Kharma and shreds and pate chicken dinner. Pride rockstar rabbit, fancy feast liver and chicken pate, halo impulse quail & greens and tiki cat gourmet carnivore pack. The also eat Merrick chicken kibble for a snack. I also buy dog size bag of purebite treats from chewy. Cats and dogs love it. If they get fussy just crush some Purebites on their food. Your cat might like some of the ones I mentioned.

Last edited:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
As for other Duck suggestions...
Nutro Natural Choice (also contains pork)
Pride by Instinct Diva or Daredevil Duck (also contains Turkey)...this one is chunky.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot all about the Nutro Natural Choice duck pate that @CatPack mentioned: our cats like that one, too, though I only feed it to them occasionally because it's smoother (they prefer more texture, oh, cats!) and has carrageenan.

And how interesting about non-Petco sales of Soulistic!

jano437

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nutro Max Cat has a Duck flavor and my cat loves it and licks the bowl clean. 

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where are you located? In Canada we have a grain free canned duck called GO NATURAL. There is also FIRST MATE but it only comes in chicken. My finicky boys grew up on the former, and now no longer eat it; they love the latter.

If you are in the USA I can recommend Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Duck canned food. Yes, it's not cheap, but I figure that one can either buy the good food now or give the money to the vet later on...at least in the case of my two cats.

good luck!

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats like the Max cat too, but it has other ingredients in it... I guess that's why its less expensive. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whole Earth Farms duck pate is very reasonably priced. (just under $1 per 5 oz can if you buy from chewy.com) The ingredients are really similar to Merrick. 

http://www.chewy.com/cat/whole-earth-farms-grain-free-real/dp/115617
Oooh!! Thank you for that link!!!!! Will be checking this out!!

Omg just checked!!!! These are the same ingredients my sister paid $2.50 a can for at a local pet store. And for comparison? Purina Beyond grain free cans--$1.19 at Krogers for a three ounce can, that on a good day Robin MIGHT eat 1/3 of.

I'm definitely buying a couple cases of this. At these prices, I might be able to feed Robin canned exclusively!!

Last edited:

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed that some of the really good foods don't always fall into the high priced categories. It's always a pleasure when you find something that works for you. I hope that your fur baby loves Whole Earth Farms food!

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried any of Tractor Supply Company's 4Health canned foods? Since your fur baby doesn't have an allergy and you're just trying to find something that he will eat consistently, I thought that TSC was worth mentioning. They have extremely good quality grain free canned food (no vegetable ingredients or fillers and two of their varieties have no carrageenan). They are only $0.69 per 5.5 oz can. My favorite varieties are the turkey and giblets and the chicken dinner in gravy. My fur babies love their food and my wallet loves not paying as much. 

Last edited: