meet Buggy

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks, y'all.  So many issues now resolved....safety, his roaming, neutering, health, blood testing, deworming, domestication (for the most part) 

For days after his neutering I questioned his health (depression? and constant sleeping) his willingness to become an inside cat (he was reclusive and anti-social) and my ability to effectively deal with these issues (seriously lacking knowledge and experience) 

As his current photo details, he (we) turned the corner, happy & healthy, relaxed, active, awake, ALIVE, a member of the family..... only a dream back in late October when we first encountered the scared, starving, lost, wandering Bug. 

It DOES require massive commitment. Time, effort, tons of patience...a positive outlook for the long haul when stuff goes wrong (it will).

Add a wealth of support and knowledge from many forum members. @Ondine  pegged him as a younger kitty right from the getgo...and with @TabbyTom  advised me step by step from way back. @1CatOverTheLine, @imjustacatmom  ....you guys all know your stuff!   Many others who have offered great info and ideas to help and support us both throughout the last couple months...you've been amazing.     

To think y'all walked a dumb, biker, cat newbee through this complicated process ...amazing.... Bagheera (Bug) and I thank you all! 
What's most hilarious of all is that not a single poster here was there with you.  You managed this entirely on your own, with no real concrete help whatsoever,  and you've convinced yourself that you didn't manage it on your own.  People cheered you on because that's what people do in Life - people root for what's improbable or impossible - but this little Miracle was your doing - with a bit of cooperation and trust on the Bug's part, and perhaps with a little unseen help form Above.  Thank yourself for your tenacity, your persistence, and your stupid, ridiculous blind Faith that you could create something wonderful from the simple raw materials of patience, Love and the unwillingness to simply give up on him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I made many mistakes (examples...contemplating witholding food and messing with his routine to manipulate) but was instantly kicked back into line with solid advise. Without help here, I'd have made many errors, fumbling through the process. 

Admittedly, when first seeing him in his most vulnerable, sorry state..

I committed to make his life a little easier....and seeing it through..initially feeding outdoors , then bringing him indoors (attempting domestication) at the urging of a member or two (you know who you are, THANK YOU! )

They schooled me on his dangerous "roaming"... putting him in risky conditions...SOLUTION? Neuter and bring inside. I'd have never attempted without being aware it just may work...a glimmer of hope offered by experienced, knowledgeable TCS members. .   

If you could have seen this lost, frightened, hungry guy 4 months ago....wow, what a transformation.

Members urged me he could and would be happy indoors......CORRECT ALL THE WAY!  

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I made many mistakes (examples...contemplating witholding food and messing with his routine to manipulate) but was instantly kicked back into line with solid advise. Without help here, I'd have made many errors, fumbling through the process. 

Admittedly, when first seeing him in his most vulnerable, sorry state..

I committed to make his life a little easier....and seeing it through..initially feeding outdoors , then bringing him indoors (attempting domestication) at the urging of a member or two (you know who you are, THANK YOU! )

They schooled me on his dangerous "roaming"... putting him in risky conditions...SOLUTION? Neuter and bring inside. I'd have never attempted without being aware it just may work...a glimmer of hope offered by experienced, knowledgeable TCS members. .   

If you could have seen this lost, frightened, hungry guy 4 months ago....wow, what a transformation.

Members urged me he could and would be happy indoors......CORRECT ALL THE WAY!  
Advice is free; hard work, Love and perseverance are what turned the tide.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Last night...we played wand games till near midnight!  He's more free and relaxed in his play habits...now vigorously attacking the string, etc. 

This morning...more kitchen time and bonding with the occicat (sp ossicat?). i predict they will become good buds...playfully chasing one another between rooms already! Nothing aggressive, both good behavior. At times laying down at a distance... doing blinky eyes with eachother! 

Something new...not meowing..but he kinds "bloops"?  I don't know what to call it...I think its due to enjoyment?

Can anyone better explain that noise to this caveman (me)?

One other question for the experienced.....I'm now thinking Bug was a house cat in his younger days? Would a 3 year old FULL feral adapt this quick to a home environment? And bond so quickly to the domestics? I'm finding it difficult to believe he's never been a tame indoor cat.

No doubt was wild, confused, defensive, scared when I first encountered him, but he's adapted SO QUICK. I'm amazed. Full feral or dumped, lost house cat?  Knowing what we now know...what do you think?          

Last edited:

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@bigbadbass

Does the bloop kinda sound like a chirp with rolling r's? He may have been owned at one point..but to me what I see is he sees all of your love and dedication and that you 2 have built up trust with one another...when an animal feels safe and loved they flourish

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
@bigbadbass

Does the bloop kinda sound like a chirp with rolling r's? He may have been owned at one point..but to me what I see is he sees all of your love and dedication and that you 2 have built up trust with one another...when an animal feels safe and loved they flourish
That's called a trill it's simply a way of saying hello. My cats trill at each other as well as at me. Indy trills more than Kabby though.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ah... saying hello...that makes sense. He is most certainly happy and content now, he's got a new buddy. No more loneliness.

His former self...it was so sad seeing him endlessly wander the neighborhood alone, day, night, rain, shine. Like being sentenced to kitty hell. Glad thats over, I'd venture to say ...he is too!  Now safe, warm, content and with buddies human and feline...in a positive, encouraging, loving atmosphere.  

He's only made weird vocal noises a couple of times (not meowing or purring)   I'll give a good listen and report back...very interesting stuff!

Little Elvis was busy and up/awake ALL morning...he's chosen a nap for his afternoon pleasure.  Ugh, I gotta vacuum in his room later....rug's a mess!   

Still awaiting thoughts and opinions on whether he was feral or a lost/dumped house cat.....? Gotta say it again...his quick transformation is simply amazing. He's made it easy....so easy even a caveman...  : )

Thanks again all.   

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Last night...we played wand games till near midnight!  He's more free and relaxed in his play habits...now vigorously attacking the string, etc. 

This morning...more kitchen time and bonding with the occicat (sp ossicat?). i predict they will become good buds...playfully chasing one another between rooms already! Nothing aggressive, both good behavior. At times laying down at a distance... doing blinky eyes with eachother! 

Something new...not meowing..but he kinds "bloops"?  I don't know what to call it...I think its due to enjoyment?

Can anyone better explain that noise to this caveman (me)?

One other question for the experienced.....I'm now thinking Bug was a house cat in his younger days? Would a 3 year old FULL feral adapt this quick to a home environment? And bond so quickly to the domestics? I'm finding it difficult to believe he's never been a tame indoor cat.

No doubt was wild, confused, defensive, scared when I first encountered him, but he's adapted SO QUICK. I'm amazed. Full feral or dumped, lost house cat?  Knowing what we now know...what do you think?          
I'm amazed! This is what we have been hoping for and our hopes were not dashed. Well done my man, well done and you did well too Bugs :clap:

My guess is Bugs could be a dumped or lost house cat whose owners that have moved and left him behind. Looking back at the first photo, don't think a feral will sit on top of your car and allow you to take a photo of him. Likely is that he'll quickly jump off and hide. he must have been closed to humans but it was the lone wandering that made him weary and aware of humans and that's why it took some time but quick enough to regularly visiting you and having his meal and ended up with no struggles in your home.

As for the 'bloop' sound, I can't really make out how it sounds like or what was his expression was like. My boy trills at birds when they are very close by. So I'm not sure that Bugs is really doing the trilling thing. I meant is that we don't get to see and hear the sounds and expressions he made so I'm not too sure on this.
It could be due to his excitement and happiness that he knew now he's loved and has a new companion but whatever it is, I think Bugs is thankful to you and he is happy!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm amazed! This is what we have been hoping for and our hopes were not dashed. Well done my man, well done and you did well too Bugs

My guess is Bugs could be a dumped or lost house cat whose owners that have moved and left him behind. Looking back at the first photo, don't think a feral will sit on top of your car and allow you to take a photo of him. Likely is that he'll quickly jump off and hide. he must have been closed to humans but it was the lone wandering that made him weary and aware of humans and that's why it took some time but quick enough to regularly visiting you and having his meal and ended up with no struggles in your home.

As for the 'bloop' sound, I can't really make out how it sounds like or what was his expression was like. My boy trills at birds when they are very close by. So I'm not sure that Bugs is really doing the trilling thing. I meant is that we don't get to see and hear the sounds and expressions he made so I'm not too sure on this.
It could be due to his excitement and happiness that he knew now he's loved and has a new companion but whatever it is, I think Bugs is thankful to you and he is happy!

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll go out on a limb and submit Bug was somehow denied "Kitty play 101" as a youngster....

Tail wagging, HOPPING on to his "prey" on the business end of the wand toy......like a 3 month old kitty ...he's making up for lost time (and all he so sadly missed out on)  due to  his apparent lack of education within ownership.

Also endlessly playing with his new found buddy Aslan.... 

He's still sticking to his end of the house (near his room) but the gates are all down now...he can further explore at his own pace. Basically free to roam indoors.with some supervision, of course. But I'm not aggressively encouraging nor dissuading, allowing him full discretion.   

approx 4 1/2 months from when we met outdoors .... i can now proclaim....MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!     

Now a couple of questions...

*he's "burying" his food. What does that signify?

*he did a different "bloop" or trill this morning....could the vocabulary vary based on mood, time of day, other factors? (I find this very interesting) 

Last edited:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Now a couple of questions...

*he's "burying" his food. What does that signify?
*he did a different "bloop" or trill this morning....could the vocabulary vary based on mood, time of day, other factors? (I find this very interesting) 
I'm so glad that you pronounced that mission accomplished :clap: :banana2: :banana1: It is a joy and from what you described, you are going to enjoy Bugs company.
Looks like he's got a little to catch up on his 'lost time' in play and with human interaction. Guess he missed all of these in his years of wandering. And he is thankful for you.

As for the 'burying' of food, it is their natural instinct to do that because in the wild, they have to cover their tracks from predators. Same as covering their pee and poo.
So if they are full or they can't finish their meal, they'll go through the action of burying the food. My boy does that too when I feed him when he's not hungry.

For the "bloop" thingy, I think that it's sound made when he is happy. And probably communicating with you. Maybe he's like saying 'What's up dude' :lol3:

Last edited:

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@bigbadbass
I think he is exploring his vocabulary now that he's in a safe environment remember that prior to this I'm sure he had to be stealth and quiet...also the "experts" say that cats only meow to us as a form of communication but I beg to differ as I've seen cats communicate with meowing...and there is a chirp they use to catch birds...it's supposed to hypnotize them...anyways but I am beginning to think he's learning to talk to you...my Duchess talks alot as she is a Siamese but she uses lots of different inflections towards me...so as rime goes on you and he will both be able to understand what it is he is saying to you...Prince after having him for a year and ahalf has surprised me lately by also changing his inflections...it is quite cute...

Now as for burying the food...there could be a few reasons...in the wild if food is left out it attracts predators and scavengers...so this may be a habit from him...also he may be trying to keep it away from other cats in his mind...food hoarding is also coming to mind...where he may now feel.like he has to stash food because he doesnt want to lose it...when we first met Prince and I began the process of taking care of him...my father-in-law was still alive but Prince is a long haired flat faced cat with grooming issues that come with these types of cats so I instantly started to take care of him...anyhoo...whenever I fed him and he ate afterwards he would scratch around his food area...Duchess and him had not yet been fully integrated and I think my father-in-law said he always did that...however when we moved here to Florida and the cats eat side by side well almost side by side...he no longer does that...I'm going to do further research as I vaguely am remembering something else to this

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And your interaction and advise were greatly appreciated the whole while, TT. 

Aha, so I may be overfeeding him a bit.  Awhile back I did start to "free feed" with some dry food out constant....particularly overnight...which would explain his not being so hungry this morning. I'll cut that back. 

I can't begin to say how content I am seeing the Bug's transformation. Checking other posts here in TCS..I see many others in the same situation, my heart goes out. I'm not technically qualified by any means to offer advise...but only positive hope and encouragement for those attempting the same.  

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@bigbadbass
Covering Scent. In the wild, predator cats try to avoid attracting other predators or scavengers to their food by burying it to cover the scent. Covering the food also prevents potential prey from being tipped off that there are predators around who might be after them next.
This came up instantly on Google search

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

Aha, so I may be overfeeding him a bit.  Awhile back I did start to "free feed" with some dry food out constant....particularly overnight...which would explain his not being so hungry this morning. I'll cut that back. 

I can't begin to say how content I am seeing the Bug's transformation. Checking other posts here in TCS..I see many others in the same situation, my heart goes out. I'm not technically qualified by any means to offer advise...but only positive hope and encouragement for those attempting the same.  
Don't mention, you are most welcomed and we do what we can to help ;)

As for the feeding, I guess that now he has a regular meal compared to the last time where he has to hunt and eat scraps, his appetite and amount could have sort of settled and therefore not worrying about the next meal. So he could have his fill and don't feel hungry so soon.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
and ty for your longterm interaction and info too, catmom. (our posts crossed)

Scratching around the food area...precisely what he's doing. Hiding or hoarding. Now that Aslan (his buddy) is welcome in the room, this could be too.

The bloops are done abruptly, haphazardly,  and at such a low volume, its difficult for me to hear and therefore describe...but to date, I've heard 3 different versions. I guess long term, I'll get a better handle on what he's communicating. I know he's happy and content, though.  

In fact, after his play session this morning, the little prince is napping....actually BOTH are...Aslan too. They are having a blast...best buddies.   

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Not true, we members when we "give advice" we are for the most part sharing our experiences with our cats so that we can help others who come across the same problem with their cats.  By all means, feel free to share and assist others with all that you have learned in your journey with Bug.  After all, how helpful are we if we just keep all that we learn on this site to ourselves.  You will be very helpful and informative to someone down the line, just you wait. 

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

approx 4 1/2 months from when we met outdoors .... i can now proclaim....MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!     
WONDERFUL !!!!   
 CONGRATULATIONS !!!!

I kinda wish I'd found this thread 4 1/2 months ago instead of only this past weekend so I could have enjoyed the "Bugs Become Domesticated" ride.  But thrilled for the happy ending. 

Hope when you have a chance you post some more pictures.  

And perhaps it's time for your avatar to show the kinda, softer side of Bugs. 

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Best buddies....Aslan showin' Bug the ropes, hangin' out in the sunshine. I'll continue to encourage them getting some mid day sun whenever able. There's a large bay window nearby... it gets full on sun...the cats frequently sleep up there...just a matter of time before Bug catches on.

Had both playing multiple times today, mostly awake with a short nap.. both retired around 8:30-9 PM.    

I think their relationship will prove quite healthy, positive. I'm already able to leave them alone (short durations), Aslan an excellent catsitter, keeping Bug on his best behavior!    

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lovely photo. No fur flying or anything!  Love Aslan's spots.