meet Buggy

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It's been 5 months already? Wow! How time flies!

Great that Bugs is taking everything in and he knows his limits which is good :clap: He's showing respect and looks comfortable and contented.

Nice job!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I encountered and started feeding him outdoors in late October...so for me 5 months.  Though I joined the forum here mid December looking for advise.

Totally inexperienced and unsure, at that time questioning whether to release him or attempt domestication after neutering.

I'm SO glad I trusted your suggestions, of course...the rest is history.      

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More than forty-eight hours now without a post.  The Bug must now be sufficiently integrated that he's on the computer all day so that no one else can use it.  I wonder if he'll ever let G ride the Ducati?

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No intention to bore y'all silly. No issues whatsoever...being such a good boy. Integrating, exploring further...he's a little less skittish every day.

I'm left with the impression his past encounters with humans were not positive.

He's intensely "concerned" when I'm walking past or near him with something in my hand...gloves, a piece of paper, coffeecup...etc....as if something was thrown at him. But without doubt he's becoming more comfortable, I'm sure it'll pass in time.

Venturing upstairs, even into the cellar (by mistake) bit by bit.

Now that he's involved, active and stimulated longer hours by day...he's sleeping better through night. Eating very well...and as a result, keeps me "occupied" with cleanup duty.

No issues with Yorkie and best of buds with Aslan the ossycat. Loves to play, much like a younger kitten (we know he missed out).

Less and less "supervision" needed...I've now gained trust he'll not fight or start troubles with the others.

So hes 'in...we're basically on auto pilot. I never imagined he'd make it so easy for me and everyone in the household.      

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I'm left with the impression his past encounters with humans were not positive.
He's intensely "concerned" when I'm walking past or near him with something in my hand...gloves, a piece of paper, coffeecup...etc....as if something was thrown at him. But without doubt he's becoming more comfortable, I'm sure it'll pass in time.
This is pretty normal behavior for him as he was once an outdoor cat with no owners. He could have experiences of humans throwing things at him to chase him off.

So whenever you have something in your hands and he noticed it, he'll just be in guard as memories his past are still fresh in his mind.

To win his confidence, let him smell and see whatever you are holding each time, but approach him slowly and keep saying it's ok, it's ok. Not gonna hurt you. Keep doing that till he finds no threats of any objects that you are holding but can still continue to let him smell and inspect the item as like seeking approval from him.

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
^ as usual, great info TT.  I'll certainly give that method a try. And as usual...I thank you. 

Agree, no doubt somebody threw stuff at him at one time or another. Those days  >  over.  

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@TabbyTom

That's exactly what I have done with Duchess and Prince...great advice!!! @bigbadbass it actually works and honestly now it's become sort of a game...ya know unspection...I always say....wanna smell...and it leads to cheek rubs...remember my girl was feral and my boy from a mill

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for asking...he allowed a first time lady visitor to pet him today!  very surprising!  

He ventured upstairs .. ...took a nap (i call it doin' nappy time) on a nice comfy rug for a couple hours. 

His smaller but older bud Aslan , the 8 yo ossicat, is beating up on him occasionally...territorial stuff I think. Nothing real nasty...Bug is so well behaved he just backs off.

He's had some buddy/buddy bonding type encounters with Taz the bengal, who formerly hissed....they are now at least tolerant of one another.

Needing less supervision, I'm allowing him free roam up/downstairs, to/from his room. Still remains a little skittish, but no violent behavior at all, we've built up some trust.

A pic or 2 will follow.   

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hey TT-

Alls' well, thanks for asking!  Bug has full run of the house, cellar and 2nd floor included. Behavior perfect and calm, getting along with the others. I leave him out unsupervised for short periods when I must go out for errands.

Here's a pic of him laying in sunny window ledge.  He's fit right in, at this point I consider him a full family member. 

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Woohooo!!!! And yay!!!! [emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji]

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
hey TT-

Alls' well, thanks for asking!  Bug has full run of the house, cellar and 2nd floor included. Behavior perfect and calm, getting along with the others. I leave him out unsupervised for short periods when I must go out for errands.

Here's a pic of him laying in sunny window ledge.  He's fit right in, at this point I consider him a full family member. 
That's wonderful! :clap:

Is he still skittish and cautious? Meowing normally and rubbing up against everyone? And playing and hanging out with the rest of the cats?

I see some plants hanging over him. Just a word of caution on plants and flowers, some are toxic to cats. Just take note of that.

Please post more photos of Bugs! :pix: :pix: :pix:

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any loud noises do upset him, he still gets "concerned" when I'm carrying something in hand.....no doubt something was thrown at him long ago.....but otherwise very calm and assured.

He's quite social...follows/plays/hangs with his buddy Aslan.  Actually responding when his name is called!  We're now exclusively using his proper name Bagheera.

Meows on occasion, frequently when hungry,  Loves playtime with the soft wand toy....bigger wand toys (at the end) intimidate him...further proof of some sort of past abuse i think.

His further acceptance of us and the household has been so rapid and seamless.....further enforcing my belief he had to have been a house cat at one time or another.

When living the outdoor life...his initial search morphed from sheer sustenance, onward to taking us up on our offering outdoor safe shelter and security....eventually allowing me to add a little "persuasion" of course. Neutering had the most drastic effect on his transformation. Dangerous roaming ceased...at this point he could care less about going out.

When warmer spring arrives, he'll have his own sunny, open screened window to lie in. Will he express interest in going outdoors?  An experiment...I'll attempt to harness him and take him for a walk at some point.