“meat By-products” Good Or Bad?

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I assume mice based pet food never hit the market because no one runs mice farms. Other meats can be dual-purposed for pet food and other things but mice would have to be Pet specific.

In other news, I just thought of a great new business if anyone wants to partner with me ...
I was thinking about mice farms. Manufacturers could set that up and the mice would quickly grow to adulthood. They'd require little space too if they were stacked high shelf-by-shelf. Do it! You can go on Shark Tank and Bonita and I will be customers. :thumbsup:.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alright, I'll admit that as a started reading this thread, I started thinking that pet companies should make mice wet food. Then, I read your post. I actually would buy mice wet food if it was sanitary and the mice weren't given chemicals. Maybe I'm in the minority? I would just want it as prepared wet food. Not an actual dead mouse, which I think my cat might just stare at and possibly bat around even though she was a stray/feral. :tabbycat:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thought of this. I actually mentioned it in another thread. Haha. I'd totally buy it too. It's truly their natural diet ... more so than chicken no?

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thought of this. I actually mentioned it in another thread. Haha. I'd totally buy it too. It's truly their natural diet ... more so than chicken no?
Definitely! More so than duck, beef, lamb, venison, etc.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I assume mice based pet food never hit the market because no one runs mice farms. Other meats can be dual-purposed for pet food and other things but mice would have to be Pet specific.
I read in a book the reason there are no mice cats foods is pe4 food companies are using human food leftovers - as in, if a chicken is not suitable for people to eat they give it to pets. People do not eat mice.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I read in a book the reason there are no mice cats foods is pe4 food companies are using human food leftovers - as in, if a chicken is not suitable for people to eat they give it to pets. People do not eat mice.
I eat at least 3 mice a day :flail:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are tons of mouse/rat farms. They sell them to reptile owners, but those are unprocessed, just frozen dead mice/rats, fed whole.

Why not make a canned cat food out of mice/rats? Perhaps the processing would be too labor-intensive. Can you imagine gutting and skinning a zillion little mice?! :lol:

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are tons of mouse/rat farms. They sell them to reptile owners, but those are unprocessed, just frozen dead mice/rats, fed whole.

Why not make a canned cat food out of mice/rats? Perhaps the processing would be too labor-intensive. Can you imagine gutting and skinning a zillion little mice?! :lol:
I also think people would not buy it. Well cat nutrition obsessed people such as myself might. But the " average" person would be less likely to. It's a lot less repulsive getting chicken out of a can than it is mouse meat... pet food companies market to people not cats.

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise

Yeah, I thought of that, but figured some manufacturing genius could figure out a machine to do it. Maybe some day someone will decide to try it. I'd love to feed mice wet food to my cat.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think part of the problem with mouse food for cats is that it smells! I seem to remember people mentioning that raw food made from mouse (from Hare Today) has a strong smell. (I don't think I'm misremembering...)

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
And why stop at mice? Think that’s hard to market, try nutritious bugs! “Wild Diet: Minced Field Mice and Cricket” has a nice ring to it.

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I did a search since I was curious and was shocked to find this photo. I was almost excited except it says dog food. I went on the Evanger's website to search and no "mouse" result appeared. I looked again and realized it is Photoshopped. =/
upload_2018-7-1_17-22-40.png

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, yeah, they have a roasted whole chicken food, that's what the can looks like. Someone must have photoshopped "mouse" on it. That's not what a roasted whole mouse would look like anyway :D.

Mice are super smelly. I wouldn't raise mice for that reason. Although I don't remember the Hare Today ground mouse smelling especially mousy. But rats aren't as bad. And they're bigger too.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lol, yeah, they have a roasted whole chicken food, that's what the can looks like. Someone must have photoshopped "mouse" on it. That's not what a roasted whole mouse would look like anyway :D.

Mice are super smelly. I wouldn't raise mice for that reason. Although I don't remember the Hare Today ground mouse smelling especially mousy. But rats aren't as bad. And they're bigger too.
Rats you say ? Now that’s gross. :eek:I don’t know if I could bring myself to buy rat cat food. Just the thought :barf::noway:

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well there goes my new business! Smelly mice, gross rats!? YOU ARE WHY WE DONT HAVE MICE FLAVORED CAT FOOD. :p Now I have to go beg my boss for my job back .... :running:
:flail: We could still make it work. How about rat chicken pate and shredded mouse and chicken in rat gravy.? Mix it up a little make it less smelly :flail::lolup:

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
If dead rats and mice stink so bad, why do cats love them?

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats are drawn to smell. They basically use their nose to eat. That’s why it’s suggested to put a pungent topper on food (such as tuna juice) if your cat is unable to smell properly due to a cold/URI or if they aren’t responding to a certain food or flavor.