“meat By-products” Good Or Bad?

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What are your thoughts on meat by products.? I recently added a food to my rotation that has meat by products and wanted to see what everyone thought.. I guess what bothers me is the unspecified nature of the meat. Thoughts...? Thank you for responding :hellocomputer:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
By products are just that, by products of processing the meat. Legally, Meat By-Products – is the non-rendered, clean parts, other than meat, derived from slaughtered mammals. It includes, but is not limited to lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, livers, blood, bone, partially defatted low temperature fatty tissue, & stomachs & intestines freed of their contents. It does not include hair, horns, teeth & hoofs. It shall be suitable for use in animal food.

I tend to agree with this website, Should you avoid meat by products in the cat food? whereby if the by product is named and it is proceeded by named meats that aren't by products then I am also okay it it. Cats in the wild would eat whole animals so eating by products isn't in and of itself a bad thing. I'd put it on the limited quantity zone when I look at labels.

I don't like generic "meat" by products because that could be any animal. My guys have a polutry sensitivity so I can't do unknown meats. But I've also heard unnamed meats can be exotic and I really don't want to know what possibly could be in that mix.

I can't find confirmation right now, but I've also heard the by product in wet is different than dry. So I avoid it in dry food.

Bottom line, a named by product, proceeded by named meats in wet food is fine. Otherwise avoid it.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I distrust "meat by-products" but I think it's better than any non-meat ingredient (ie corn, peas, potato). Personally, I like to pick a food with no by-products since I am distrustful of what is in them (I have no issue with ground bone, organs, beak, feet etc. but I worry they sneak other things in there).

I see nothing wrong with having a named meat at the top of the ingredients and named by-products as a lesser ingredient. I don't like that I am not told what "meat" is included. Again, though, anything meat is better than a vegetable ingredient.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vote is the same as everyone else here. It has to have the meat named and I'd rather it not be at the very top of the list of ingredients. I avoid dry foods that have it (though, Mika is mainly on wet) and I tend to get nervous with by-products in like, Friskies, because I haven't seen one that it was named.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That’s more or less my problem with meat by products too. I think meat by products are definitely better than starchy vegetables that cats can not digest. So you guys think it would be ok to feed in rotation? The food I’m talking about is purina pro true nature pate classic. I really like that they put chicken hearts and giblets in that food ( I have yet to find it in an expensive brand that’s not $60 + per case). I think those are so nutritious for a cat. I also feed merrick purrfect bistro pates, merrick backcountry pouches, nutro chunky loaf and perfect portions chicken, liver and shrimp and natures variety pride rockstar rabbitt.. I was looking to add a less expensive brand that was low in carbs and contained organ meats.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't mind meat by-products. My cat eats 98% Friskies canned food.

According to AAFCO definition of "meat"...

In addition to using the term "meat," the pet food manufacturer may also identify the species from which the meat is derived, such as "beef" or "pork." However, to use the generic term "meat" on the label, it can only be from cattle, pigs, sheep or goats. If it comes from any other mammal, the species must be identified (for example, "buffalo" or "venison"), so you can rest easy that if any other species was used, it would have to be declared. Also, if the muscle is from non-mammalian species, such as poultry or fish, it cannot be declared as "meat" but must use the appropriate identifying terms.

The Association of American Feed Control Officials > Consumers > What is in Pet Food

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

In addition to using the term "meat," the pet food manufacturer may also identify the species from which the meat is derived, such as "beef" or "pork." However, to use the generic term "meat" on the label, it can only be from cattle, pigs, sheep or goats. If it comes from any other mammal, the species must be identified (for example, "buffalo" or "venison"), so you can rest easy that if any other species was used, it would have to be declared. Also, if the muscle is from non-mammalian species, such as poultry or fish, it cannot be declared as "meat" but must use the appropriate identifying terms.

The Association of American Feed Control Officials > Consumers > What is in Pet Food
Poultry by products are also listed separately from "meat" by products. Just FYI for PP with sensitive cats.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

That’s really really good to know M MissMolly08 !:rock:. That’s great bc that food has so much going for it and my kitties licked their plates clean. That’s some great info. It makes me feel better about feeding it. :clap:

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
There is one big problem with the idea that byproducts are healthy just because a specific animal is named: the actual ingredient is not named. How do we know if a cat is eating the right stuff?

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is one big problem with the idea that byproducts are healthy just because a specific animal is named: the actual ingredient is not named. How do we know if a cat is eating the right stuff?
If you look at the link I posted, as well as PP's definition...
Legally, Meat By-Products – is the non-rendered, clean parts, other than meat, derived from slaughtered mammals. It includes, but is not limited to lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, livers, blood, bone, partially defatted low temperature fatty tissue, & stomachs & intestines freed of their contents. It does not include hair, horns, teeth & hoofs. It shall be suitable for use in animal food.

It really doesn't matter much if it's spleen, brain or liver... it is some combination of those things which are all things a cat would eat in the wild.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know. Me too. My imagination was running wild :bliss: I was imagining all kinds of things. I’m really glad I started this thread.
I think a lot of people let their imagination run a bit wild with the term which is why many prefer to avoid by products. I know some people still say "well just because that's the legal term, doesn't mean they aren't sneaking other things in" but, isn't that true of anything? I mean wasn't there some article about Blue Buffalo and them sneaking in corn or something but claiming to be grain free? There was a lot of stuff supposedly found in their dry food that wasn't listed as an ingredient so by products or not, if you aren't making your cat's food yourself, you never REALLY know what's in it and you have to hope/trust that the pet food company you are purchasing from is telling the truth on their label. That's the best any of us can do.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Legally, Meat By-Products – is the non-rendered, clean parts, other than meat, derived from slaughtered mammals. It includes, but is not limited to lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, livers, blood, bone, partially defatted low temperature fatty tissue, & stomachs & intestines freed of their contents. It does not include hair, horns, teeth & hoofs. It shall be suitable for use in animal food.

It really doesn't matter much if it's spleen, brain or liver... it is some combination of those things which are all things a cat would eat in the wild.
I think perhaps by products get a bad rep bc Of the visual they inspire in our human imagination. They are exactly what a cat would eat in the wild though. You are so right.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think a lot of people let their imagination run a bit wild with the term which is why many prefer to avoid by products. I know some people still say "well just because that's the legal term, doesn't mean they aren't sneaking other things in" but, isn't that true of anything? I mean wasn't there some article about Blue Buffalo and them sneaking in corn or something but claiming to be grain free? There was a lot of stuff supposedly found in their dry food that wasn't listed as an ingredient so by products or not, if you aren't making your cat's food yourself, you never REALLY know what's in it and you have to hope/trust that the pet food company you are purchasing from is telling the truth on their label. That's the best any of us can do.
I guess that’s why I feed a variety of different foods in hopes my cats are getting what they need in terms of nutrition.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no problem with Meat by products. They are totally nasty to me, but i think for the cats they are actually a good thing. I have read different places that cats who never get by products, or organ meats are not getting a truly balanced diet.

I think potatoes are lovely...lol ...... but not for my cats. They do better with the "nasty stuff" :rolleyes:

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have no problem with Meat by products. They are totally nasty to me, but i think for the cats they are actually a good thing. I have read different places that cats who never get by products, or organ meats are not getting a truly balanced diet.

I think potatoes are lovely...lol ...... but not for my cats. They do better with the "nasty stuff" :rolleyes:
I agree with that 100% that’s why I’ve been searching for a decent food with organ meats other than liver to feed my piggies. :D

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Some of the higher brands will list them all separately. "Beef, beef heart, beef lung, beef kidney, beef liver", and so on, and some just list "beef, beef by products", etc. I wonder what's up with that?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess that’s why I feed a variety of different foods in hopes my cats are getting what they need in terms of nutrition.
Good plan IMO =)
Also, if a brand in your rotation is unavailable or recalled, it's great having cats happy to do a switch with no problems.
It's absolute HELL getting an imprinted on one brand, one variety, and one specific type of food to transition if something is actually wrong with the food.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some of the higher brands will list them all separately. "Beef, beef heart, beef lung, beef kidney, beef liver", and so on, and some just list "beef, beef by products", etc. I wonder what's up with that?
Probably just a marketing thing... Some companies know people don't like to see by products on the list of ingredients and they think listing it separately makes the ingredients look more appealing to us pet owners. Whether it's listed as a meat by product or a beef heart, it's still the same thing!