“meat By-products” Good Or Bad?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes farm animals are Euthanized too. Cows, horses, sheep, goats, pigs, it happens. I would imagine the phenobarbital came from one of those animals, not cats or dogs. At least i hope so.
With very small farms, they sometimes are (horses especially) euthanized with a drug, but in most larger scale operations, euthanasia = a bullet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a question about this. I've heard this multiple times, but I'm confused about how the remains of shelter animals would get into the food supply.

Are there allegations that some shelters are selling dead animals to food producers? If so, have those allegations ever been substantiated with proof? Is there some type of paper trail or has someone admitted doing so?

I'm not saying I think it's true or not true, my question is "How would that actually happen and has it been proven?"
That's a really good question.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not saying that Feline Natural is specifically a "right" food for everyone (my cat only decides it is "right" a few times a month, lol), but all those generic by-products are listed out on the label for this food, as an example, just like other posters have mentioned about certain brands.

Feline Natural Chicken and Lamb:
"Chicken, Lamb Heart, Lamb Kidney, Lamb Liver, Lamb Blood, Flaxseed Flakes, New Zealand Green Mussel, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Magnesium Oxide, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid. Water added for processing"

I'd much rather have by-products listed out on a label than not listed. In fact, for this food above, lamb blood is listed but some pet owners don't specifically want animal blood in their pet's canned food (if they know it's there). Blood can be nutritious but I don't think there is any required quality control or regulations for animal blood in commercial pet foods... so I guess one would wonder if that 'meat by-product' came from an ill animal or not. Depends on the known quality control of the brand.
That does look good. Any idea on the carb count? I wish I could go buy a can somewhere and try it. I bet it costs an arm and a leg and a part of my kidney :biggrin:

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Meat by product comes from dead zoo animals, road kill, kill shelter meat of other dead cats and dogs. And unwanted meat left behind at cow, horse... slaughter houses.
That's a horrifying thought and I hope not true. Although I don't have much faith in pet food companies unfortunately. I know legally they are not supposed to include that in pet food. I'm going back and forth on this issue.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Bravo? Its one i was thinking to try. not crazy about Agar-Agar, but hard to find food without something im not fond of :(

Bravo! Feline Cafe Chicken Fricassee Grain-Free Canned Cat Food, 5.5-oz, case of 24
Green lipped muscles?? It looks great other than that. I guess thos are better than several gums? Once I go through my current stash of food and am in a mood to experiment I'll definitely try the bravo! And feline natural. I'll try to get a few cans to try.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried feline natural, my guys did not like it. Its not cheap.
I got it from only natural pets. you can order by the can.

Feline Natural Canned Cat Food
Yeah, there is something about New Zealand-based foods that my current cat does not like... she usually makes a wide berth around her food dish when things like ZiwiPeak and Addiction are in it. That chicken and lamb flavor of Feline Naturals is the only New Zealand based food she'll sometimes eat. And yeah, the expense is a turn-off.
-agree- :agree:

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes farm animals are Euthanized too. Cows, horses, sheep, goats, pigs, it happens. I would imagine the phenobarbital came from one of those animals, not cats or dogs. At least i hope so.
Important correction: The drug is pentobarbital. Phenobarbital is an oral epilepsy drug that can be prescribed for cats.

Last edited:

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, there is something about New Zealand-based foods that my current cat does not like... she usually makes a wide berth around her food dish when things like ZiwiPeak and Addiction are in it. That chicken and lamb flavor of Feline Naturals is the only New Zealand based food she'll sometimes eat. And yeah, the expense is a turn-off.
-agree- :agree:
Yeah the price point is a bit much, regardless I’m sure my cats would object as well.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It just may, but you would need to label your arm and leg as "2BSH Meat" and your kidney would be part of "2BSH by-products."
:crackup:
Gave me a huge laugh, thanks!!!! =D
Wait, wouldn't the arm and leg "2BSH Meat" have to have a notation that it includes bone? :devilish:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Green lipped muscles?? It looks great other than that. ...
There are several cat foods that have green lipped mussels in them. It's the 'new thing', I suppose. ZiwiPeak told me that it helps increase the taurine in their foods...
Why is Taurine not listed as an ingredient in your cat cans? I thought it was required in a feline diet? | Ziwi Pets
New ZiwiPeak Formula?

another example, this page from Red Barn has its own laudations...
Why New Zealand Green Mussels are a Superfood For Your Pet - Redbarn Pet Products Blog