New ZiwiPeak Formula?

catkitten333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have fed my cats ZP for a couple months now as they seem to do well on it and has quality ingredients, although the tspp in it was questionable. A new batch I received came with the new look and formula eliminating tspp and a shortened ingredient list. Great texture of food in can without gel around it like before. Seems like it's really improved now, anyone concerned about the tetrasodiumpyrophosphate might give new formula another try. Says 93% meat organ and bones I bought the mackerel and lamb formula.

I did have a question which is should I be concerned about feeding them the mackerel and lamb? as I know fish can be bad for cats because of many reasons

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did your cat like the new formula?

I'm hesitant to buy it afraid my picky one won't like the change.

ziwi cs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am with Ziwi Customer Service - Our new Mackerel & Lamb recipes are high in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. New Zealand Blue Mackerel are small fish, wild-caught in the clean oceans surrounding New Zealand, and are generally not associated with concerns over heavy metal contamination. I hope this information is helpful to you in determining the appropriate diet for your feline friend!

ziwi cs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Lokhismom:  Our feeding trials showed that most pets needed no transition from our original recipes to our new recipes; however, some pets - especially cats - can be more particular about changes in texture, scent or flavor. For more finicky pets, you may need to transition gradually between the original and new recipes, over a period of 5 to 7 days.  Please let us know if we can be of additional assistance.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had bought some of the new recipe beef flavor since I suspected Gizmo had a sensitivity to gums, including agar agar, so it was like finding a diamond in the rough when I saw ZiwiPeak had a new formula and had removed agar agar. He loved it and went to town on it but he's a kitten and loves every food I set in front of him! I will continue to purchase it in the future since he responded well to it.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, ziwi cs ziwi cs -

On your web site, I'm viewing the page for moist cat foods,
http://www.ziwipets.com/catalog/ziwi-peak-cat-nutrition/ziwi-peak-moist-cat-food

(Love the new look of the packaging, by the way!)

When I visit a page for a particular canned food (all of the canned cat foods there), I see that when I toggle to view the "Ingredients" listings for the moist cat foods, I do not see the word, "Taurine" in the ingredient lists.

There is, however, an orange-colored box located on (all of) those pages which claims, "What's Included: ... Extra taurine for cats, etc. [...] ".

I would like to feel confident that the ingredients listed under "Ingredients" is a complete listing on the web site.

Or have you taken Taurine out of your cat foods?! Are all the correct ingredients listed on the cans, and not on the web site? (I haven't gone to see the new cans in person in a store yet.)

Postscript- I DO see Taurine listed for the Air-Dried cat foods... just not for the canned foods...

Last edited:

ziwi cs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've recently revised all of our recipes, and the total meat/organ/bone/New Zealand Green Mussel content in our canned cat recipes is now 93% (dry matter basis). Taurine is naturally present in muscle meat, organ meat, and shellfish.

As part of our reformulation, we had all canned foods independently laboratory tested to determine the levels of nutrients naturally present in our ingredients, prior to adding supplements.

The taurine levels in our canned cat recipes tested at more than double the AAFCO minimum. After all of the other necessary supplements were added, we had all recipes tested again. Once again, the taurine was shown to be comfortably above the AAFCO minimum. We no longer need supplemental taurine in our canned products, due to the high meat and organ and New Zealand Green Mussel content in our recipes. 

Thank you for catching the mistake on our website - it appears that our website administrator forgot to change the website to reflect the recent changes.  

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do your updated cans of cat food list "Taurine" in the Ingredient lists?

Edit: I am not trying to be purposely dense... it is just that I have never seen or used a canned cat food meant as a daily life cycles food --high quality, low quality, lots of meat protein or organ meat, or not ... and so forth and so on-- that does not have the word, "Taurine" printed on the ingredient list's label.

Even if enough taurine is to be assumed by your customers, you could put something like, "Taurine (supplemental taurine is not needed in our canned products, due to the high meat and organ and New Zealand Green Mussel content in our recipes, which is loaded with enough taurine to meet the AAFCO minimum)", or something less wordy, of course.

It's just that I believe purchasers of cat food are very used to looking on the label for the assurance that taurine is present for the cat.

Last edited:

ziwi cs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our can and air-dried labels list all of the ingredeints in our recipes including any supplements that are added. Vitamins, minerals and other nutrients that are naturally present in the ingredients, such as taurine, aren't listed separately.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, that's your decision of course!

I may not be the first to ask about it, though.

ziwi cs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We really appreciate your feedback!  AAFCO regulates what must be listed on pet food labels - after all the required items, there simply isn't room on a small can of cat food to list the complete nutritional breakdown of all vitamins, minerals and other nutrients, as much as we would like to do so.  Here's a link to AAFCO label guidelines:  http://petfood.aafco.org/Labeling-Labeling-Requirements#required

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your interactions as well!

I would just say that in all the years I've fed cats maintenance or life cycle diets, I have never used a cat food that had a label without the word "Taurine" printed on it. It doesn't seem to matter to other companies that albeit taurine occurs naturally in fish and meat, they found a way to print the ingredient taurine on their labels so that the purchaser would know the product met the minimum standards for a cat's long term diet. I am not sure it is something that should be "assumed" by the buyer. Some buyers have no clue where taurine comes from, they just have heard or understand that cats need it and that is the extent of their awareness.

I don't know. I don't mean to repeat myself! It just seems to be an important word to include in an ingredient list for cat food, something that could be considered to be "conditionally required" for cat foods.

Thank you so much for all of your time with me on this.

Last edited:

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm no longer buying ZP as a snack for my cats. I don't like the addition of chickpeas. ZP should have followed in Feline Natural's footsteps and omitted the binder all together. 

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm still undecided whether I'm going to buy a new case of ZP.  I have a case of the old formula I'm  going thru so  I guess I'll wait for more feedback from others.

I did try Feline Natural can for the first time and my 2 LOVED it.    I wish it weren't so expensive and I don't like that its low in calorie but my picky one Lokhi at it without me even having to put freeze dried topper on it.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lokhismom: Feline Natural, if you can order through an indy pet supply retailer, it's cheaper than ordering online. I do mostly raw with my cats but feed FN occasionally. At the indy store I manage we sell FN, the 6 oz cans, for $2.60. We had ZP but the price point was too high so we discontinued it.

Last edited:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lokhismom: Feline Natural, if you can order through an indy pet supply retailer, it's cheaper than ordering online. I do mostly raw with my cats but feed FN occasionally. At the indy store I manage we sell FN, the 6 oz cans, for $2.60. We had ZP but the price point was too high so we discontinued it.
This is true at the independent store where I buy most food, too. Feline Natural is still expensive but it's definitely cheaper than online.

cluckingduck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi LisaMarie...
It's been a while since I have been at the forum, and you have given me good info before, so I come seeking some more advice.

We have been using ziwipeak for a while, alternating between venison and lamb (canned) and some of their dehydrated stuff also venison and lamb, usually sprinkling a little on top of the canned food.
New labels, 6.5 oz instead of 6 oz, and a 'new, better' formula, or so they say. Your opinion on the newer stuff? My cat used to like the venison, now its 'nose up' position about 3 out of 4 times.

He still likes the lamb, but not as much as before the 'newer, better' stuff came out. So, we are trying to stay with the canned if possible, and once again would like your opinion as to your suggested 'mo' bettah' canned food for Artie. Feline Natural was NOT a favorite of his, and I have read that it is not so much look or taste, but cats will actually seek the better nutrient balance for their choice, if it is presented.

So what might you suggest we try, OR, do you think that ZP is actually 'newer and better'? We can keep putting it down, and let him get used to it, or ???

Thanks so much, again!
Fred & ARTIE!

coffeecat2420

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I discovered ZiwiPeak and then immediately found out that they changed the formulas. The cans I bought are the old venison recipe. We may try the new recipe, but I'm not thrilled that they added chickpeas.

I went through Chewy.com, and they are not offering the 6.5 oz venison in the either the old or new formula (still selling old formula inventory on some flavors), only the 3 oz for some reason. Customer service told me that they (ZP) are not offering it in 6.5 oz due to new marketing, but that doesn't make any sense, and ZP offers the 6.5 oz can on their website.

cluckingduck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I discovered ZiwiPeak and then immediately found out that they changed the formulas. The cans I bought are the old venison recipe. We may try the new recipe, but I'm not thrilled that they added chickpeas.

I went through Chewy.com, and they are not offering the 6.5 oz venison in the either the old or new formula (still selling old formula inventory on some flavors), only the 3 oz for some reason. Customer service told me that they (ZP) are not offering it in 6.5 oz due to new marketing, but that doesn't make any sense, and ZP offers the 6.5 oz can on their website.
I've been using ZP for a long time. I still will wait to hear from LisaMarie to hear her feedback. Thanks for the reply