“meat By-products” Good Or Bad?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat was recently diagnosed with borderline megacolon and I’ll pass along my thoughts on by products and grains.

It’s the bone in by products that concern me, as too can cause bladder stones and constipation. Grains can’t, from what I’ve read. So you’re better off going with some grain (fiber is good)than a product with byproducts with no grains. In fact, I’ve been ordered by two vets to minimize the grain free canned (which contains by products) because it’s causing my cat to become constipated. I They want
me to continue with the Purina One hairball formula dry that seems to keep him “regular”.
I agree that too much bone will cause constipation. Even cats in the wild will be selective about how much bone they eat. But, I disagree with your vet that grain free canned foods will cause constipatipn. Constipation is due to lack of moisture content in the stool. Any kind of canned food should theoretically be good for this because it is high in moisture. Most grain free canned foods contain peas as a filler in substitute of grains. Peas are a soluble fiber and will serve the same purpose that a soluble grain fiber would for relieving constipation. However, beyond this, cat’s don’t need a lot of fiber in their diet and they don’t need a lot of carbs. Actually, they shouldn’t have a lot of carbs. So rather than looking for grain free or whatnot, consumers should be looking for low carb foods. Grain free foods in my experience are lower in carbs than grain-filled pet foods. Grains are also irritatants for cats with sensitive stomachs. I hate to say this but a lot of vets in my experience are against grain free only because they are invested in brands like Royal Canin and Hills (for whatever reason - either they have received poor nutrition training and truly believe that these foods or the best, or they are actually sponsored by these foods). I am not an advocate for grain free, I look for low carbs instead- but, dismissing grain free canned food because it causes constipation is just misinformation.

In terms of Purina one hairball dry- in my opinion the ingredients are not good- mostly corn gluten meal and other grains. Plus it is dry. Wet food is always better for hairballs and constipation and I would take some peas over a lot of grains. Just my 2 cents.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I hate to say this but a lot of vets in my experience are against grain free only because they are invested in brands like Royal Canin and Hills (for whatever reason - either they have received poor nutrition training and truly believe that these foods or the best, or they are actually sponsored by these foods).
It is both. Veterinary college students take one nutrition class. During these classes, they hear guest speakers hired by Hill's, Purina, or Royal Canin. The companies also offer free food to all students who have dogs and/or cats.