Maybe In Helping Cats, We Are Really Hurting Them?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I write this post with a feeling of deep regret.

For quite some time I have been feeding feral cats over at a home depot parking lot. Every night for the last seven years you could find me over there, along with 20 hungry felines. Armed with bags of Fancy Feast, Purina Cat Chow, scores of little cans of wet food and bottles of drinking water, I would set out on my cat feeding mission. Except for when we would have a torrential downpour, I never missed a day.

Word about the cats and their plight reached Facebook three years ago and a rescue team descended upon the parking lot. Within two nights 16 cats had been caught, leaving me with a few stubborn stragglers to devote my time to. Well, after the subzero temps of this last winter I had decided the cats had enough. Just how long were they expected to last in temperatures of 10 below zero in the winter to that of 100 above in the summer? I had been asking my veterinarian for help in getting these cats a home for several years now and I decided that this was the summer to stop talking and get my ass in gear.

Good news- I managed to catch one!
One night when observing the cats I noticed that this cat was not eating. She had never been the best in sniffing out the dry food but she never failed when it came to a can of Tender Beef and Chicken. Now all she would do with the mound of wet food was to timidly lick it and then act like nauseated. As expected, she became weaker, to the point of staggering around my car like she was drunk. She wasn't hard to nab, I just reached down and plucked like a grape. She offered no resistance. I am happy to report that with good vet care, love and patience, she is now thriving.

Bad news-lighting really doesn't strike twice.
I caught another one, or rather she surrendered herself. After the food is put out I always sit back in the car to watch them eat, with the door open. One cat (a black one that I had named Indigo Ink), decided to venture in. I stayed very still as she sniffed out my car, realized it doesn't get any better than this, and closed the door. Worst mistake of my life!- for now I had a very petrified cat running madly through my car. Worse yet, it was Friday night, which left me with a feral cat who was trapped in my car and would be until my vet opened on Monday morning.

One mistake after another- taking her to my vet
Inky was eventually cornered and "poled" by my vet on Monday morning. She now resides in the dog wing of his clinic, until she is "tame enough to handle". I came by to see her on Friday and what I saw was a very frighten cat with her back up against a wall, hissing at anything that moved. She starred straight ahead in an unblinking trance, like her mind had checked out and I wondered if it would ever come back. The vet told me that she should come around in two weeks. (Yeah right)

Yes I protested. I couldn't believe that a veterinarian would be so clueless as to think that a feral could be tamed in two weeks, or that she would calm down while being surrounded by DOGS! As of date she hasn't eaten and the staff is still afraid of her.

I was arrogant in my assumption that I could save these cats. My vet was arrogant(and stupid), in thinking that he knew anything about feral cats.

I am so sorry Inky, I should have left well enough alone.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Can you release him back where he was? Yes a feral cat is hard to tame but it is possible. But it is a very slow slow process.

I'm assuming that the vet fixed the cat...so maybe being outside isn't the worst thing. Don't be so hard on yourself. You did the best you can. Sounds like the vet is more dog person than cats. Feral cat plus dog equals disaster....I would think about releasing back where they lived...and keep working on socializing them...thank you for trying to care for these furbabies. I'm sure it was scary to see kitty spaz out from being inside for the first time..

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure why you're feeling regret. I mean, she DID climb into your car on her own so what were you supposed to do? Shoo her out? Sit and wait while she took a nap? You did what I suspect most people on this site would have done. I know for sure it's what I'd have done.

Do you have a room in your house she could have to herself? If so you could ask your vet put her in a carrier then bring her home with you to work on socializing. Yeah, it can take a long time with ferals, and it's usually not an easy process, but it's another option to taking her back to home depot and letting her go. At least that way you know she'll be safe and won't have to worry about something happening. You can work on the other Cats as the chance presents itself.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought the same thing a little while ago. My inside cat snuck outside and for 2 months I set up a trap to try to catch him. In the process I caught a feral cat and kept him in the house for 2 months. All he did was hide under the bed in the spare room. Poor guy was so scared. I reached out to our local shelter and they thought he was worth saving. They had him for 6 months and over that period of time made sure to interact and try and socialize him. They made a little progress every week. Eventually a really kind family adopted him and they post updates on instagram. He is now the happiest boy and rubs up against his new owners. When he was in my house I was tempted to let him go. I am glad I didn't. He got all the medical attention he needed (almost all his teeth were pulled) and now is enjoying life off of the cruel streets. Because the cat came to you, I think that there is a chance to socialize her once the fear lessens. Thank you for caring for her.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: You have done so much already and it paid off with the first kitty. Please give Inky a chance - even the tamest of cats and most confident of dogs will freak out at the vets - it smells of disease and death and the strange barks and lack of escape routes will terrify any cat. Once Inky is in your home, she will need to have time to decompress; seeing, hearing and smelling her colony mate may help with that. Jcatbird Jcatbird may have some suggestions for you. At least the vet can offer you some time. Meanwhile, I would try to bring home items that she may have scent-soaked at Home Depot - even if it is weathered cardboard or detritus from the bushes there. Please keep us posted!
Sending prayers and vibes for quick success :vibes::vibes:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get that cat home with you! I have socialized many, many cats. She got in your car because she felt you would help her. You did. Now take it the next step. Get her out of that vet office! As long as she is there she will probably be terrified. The sooner you get her in a quiet room by herself, the better. She wanted to be with you. There is already love and trust there. It has not gone away. She will be so grateful to go with you. I, personally, would NOT release her back out after this period. She will run and probably keep hidden. A quiet and safe spot would be pure heaven to her now. I expect she will want to hide and be scared for awhile but even my most terrified of cats has settled given time, love and the socializing techniques. There are plenty of people her who have done this and can help you get through the process. You did a fantastic thing by rescuing her. Please Don’t have regrets. We all learn as we go and you can just keep moving forward with this cat. Don’t give up now. You have made it soooo far already. Just go forward. Get her where she can calm down and be near you. Patience and love works wonders. I would urge you to get her away from the dogs as soon as possible. Have a small room, like a bathroom already prepared for her. Give her a carrier or crate to hide in. Clear and medicines or unsafe items from the room. If you must use a bedroom, try to block off under the bed. They love to hide there and it’s hard to get them out or work to socialize under there! Lol A carrier can be her safe haven from now on. Taking her home in it may establish it as her hiding place and safe spot from now on. A box or other similar location will work too. Don’t give up! She is just really scared right now. You did save her. :heartshape:Keep going! Lots of us will be here for you!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Really, you have done so much for that colony for so long that you need to give yourself a psychological break from telling yourself that you did one thing that might not have worked out. The score is 19 to 1 and I do think that there is hope for this cat. Some vets do not accept ferals as being on par with the pets they usually see, it depends. The dog wing is not going to work and I agree that the cat needs to be removed. Even if you cannot take the cat, could someone from one of the rescued who helped the colony possibly help out? Even getting the cat to the cat wing of the hospital might help. I took a feral I trapped and who had to come with me as I was moving to a boarding kennel. Now, they aren't all going to jump at the chance to take a feral, but these people said they would try. She was in a quiet cage and they worked to socialize her to the point where I could bring her home with me. It cost some money, but maybe since you are not feeding the colony any longer there is some spare cash temporarily. I do find it intriguing that the cat jumped in your car which, to me, says a lot about how she perceives you. And yes, if TNR is the only answer, it might be another option for this cat. It sounds like the Home Depot people never gave you any trouble about the colony.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Really, you have done so much for that colony for so long that you need to give yourself a psychological break from telling yourself that you did one thing that might not have worked out. The score is 19 to 1 and I do think that there is hope for this cat. Some vets do not accept ferals as being on par with the pets they usually see, it depends. The dog wing is not going to work and I agree that the cat needs to be removed. Even if you cannot take the cat, could someone from one of the rescued who helped the colony possibly help out? Even getting the cat to the cat wing of the hospital might help. I took a feral I trapped and who had to come with me as I was moving to a boarding kennel. Now, they aren't all going to jump at the chance to take a feral, but these people said they would try. She was in a quiet cage and they worked to socialize her to the point where I could bring her home with me. It cost some money, but maybe since you are not feeding the colony any longer there is some spare cash temporarily. I do find it intriguing that the cat jumped in your car which, to me, says a lot about how she perceives you. And yes, if TNR is the only answer, it might be another option for this cat. It sounds like the Home Depot people never gave you any trouble about the colony.

Thank you fionasmom- for your words of support and also for the helpful tips you have provided me with.

I am still feeding the four cats who are left in the colony-three females and one hard-headed tom cat. And yes, the people at Home Depot do not mind the cats being around since they feel that they deter any rodents who might be incline to visit their lumber yard.

I have no problem taking Inky in and trying to socialize her. With eleven rooms in my house there is more than enough space for her, I also have plenty of time to devote to her since I am not taking any classes this summer or fall. The problem lies with the vet, he will not make any decision about her future until he observes her longer-which means two-three more weeks! I personally feel this is too long and will only result in more psychological damage to her. I can't alienate this guy right now so I am trying to keep my temper in check.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I completely agree with both posts by catsknowme and jcatbird.

By the way, (other than the situation of a cat in the dog wing), you are doing more good than harm :winkcat:
Thank you, Furballsmom

Yes, I can not get over his decision to place her in the dog wing of the clinic. That would be enough to drive a tame cat over the edge.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're saying you can't alienate him, but I'm asking anyway because this cat can not last in the dog wing for another couple days, never mind weeks!! So please, surely you have access to another vet? Or figure out SOME way to get her out of there.
Same question I have. Is he really the only vet in the area?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Get that cat home with you! I have socialized many, many cats. She got in your car because she felt you would help her. You did. Now take it the next step. Get her out of that vet office! As long as she is there she will probably be terrified. The sooner you get her in a quiet room by herself, the better. She wanted to be with you. There is already love and trust there. It has not gone away. She will be so grateful to go with you. I, personally, would NOT release her back out after this period. She will run and probably keep hidden. A quiet and safe spot would be pure heaven to her now. I expect she will want to hide and be scared for awhile but even my most terrified of cats has settled given time, love and the socializing techniques. There are plenty of people her who have done this and can help you get through the process. You did a fantastic thing by rescuing her. Please Don’t have regrets. We all learn as we go and you can just keep moving forward with this cat. Don’t give up now. You have made it soooo far already. Just go forward. Get her where she can calm down and be near you. Patience and love works wonders. I would urge you to get her away from the dogs as soon as possible. Have a small room, like a bathroom already prepared for her. Give her a carrier or crate to hide in. Clear and medicines or unsafe items from the room. If you must use a bedroom, try to block off under the bed. They love to hide there and it’s hard to get them out or work to socialize under there! Lol A carrier can be her safe haven from now on. Taking her home in it may establish it as her hiding place and safe spot from now on. A box or other similar location will work too. Don’t give up! She is just really scared right now. You did save her. :heartshape:Keep going! Lots of us will be here for you!

Thank you, jcatbird.

I would take her in a heartbeat, but he won't allow it. To be honest that is what I thought he was going to do with Inky, either allow her to go back with me, or place her in a foster home. I keep telling him that this is the one cat out of the bunch that would allow me to pet her and that would come to her name, but my words are falling on deaf ears. And I don't want her to be re-released back into the wilds. I will be damned if I am going to gather these cats up (disrupting the only life they know), have them fixed, only then to turn around and let them back lose into the very elements that I was trying to rescue them from in the first place.

The only other halfway social one in the colony is the tom, he rubs against me while purring loudly and has even allowed me to pick him up. Trust me, I won't be taking that cat to this vet.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
You're saying you can't alienate him, but I'm asking anyway because this cat can not last in the dog wing for another couple days, never mind weeks!! So please, surely you have access to another vet? Or figure out SOME way to get her out of there.
How do I get her back? Technically the cat now belongs to him. Trust me, I could get bounced out on my ear if I tell him what is on my mind right now. T

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do I get her back? Technically the cat now belongs to him. Trust me, I could get bounced out on my ear if I tell him what is on my mind right now. T
Just tell him you thought it over and you would like to foster her, tell him your situation and how you would be there practically all day to check on her and she would have a quiet room all to herself. Unless the guy is a total jerk he shouldn't have a problem with that.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Same question I have. Is he really the only vet in the area?

He is not the only one in the area, but he was the only one who agreed to take on the Home Depot cats. I thought I had stumbled upon a sympathetic soul who could help, but instead he turned out to an idiot. I shouldn't have to tell him that feral cats + dogs = disaster, he should know that! How in the world he expected Inky to unwind when her natural enemy is right next to her, barking, is beyond me.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Just tell him you thought it over and you would like to foster her, tell him your situation and how you would be there practically all day to check on her and she would have a quiet room all to herself. Unless the guy is a total jerk he shouldn't have a problem with that.

I told him three times last week to allow me to take her home, twice while I stood right next to him, and the third time in a note that I wrote to him on Friday. I don't know if he is afraid of legal repercussions if she should really hurt somebody, I honestly don't know what is causing the hesitation on his part.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the vet still amenable to you visiting Inky? Will he allow you to bring treats? It is very perplexing that he would not happily hand Inky over to you. But you are wise to "walk softly" while you determine a definite plan of action. Maybe the local rescuers would be willing to look at your situation and maybe advocate for Inky (and you).

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I told him three times last week to allow me to take her home, twice while I stood right next to him, and the third time in a note that I wrote to him on Friday. I don't know if he is afraid of legal repercussions if she should really hurt somebody, I honestly don't know what is causing the hesitation on his part.
.....Ok then, total jerk it is. I'm not sure what else you could do. Hopefully someone else has a suggestion.