Maybe In Helping Cats, We Are Really Hurting Them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a link showing Murphy the boy who I trapped on my porch in his new forever home (Murphy is the black kitty) I can't tell you how happy it makes me knowing he is off the streets and learning to trust his new family

Thank you for helping these misunderstood creatures. Murphy is gorgeous, he looks so happy and healthy. I always have a soft spot for Halloween kitties.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad to hear that things are moving, at least a little bit. Inky is definitely trusting you if she lowered her eyes. My GSD was a rescue from a high kill shelter in Missouri via the national GSD network that I work with. I am absolutely not going to Missouri-bash as some wonderful people came forward to get him out of the shelter and out to LA, but it was "stressful"...let's just leave it at that. I ended up flying there myself to pick him up, to make a long story short. It more or less fell under what lavishsqualor lavishsqualor said in his very knowledgeable post about not being able to get flies with honey........

I am sleeping a little bit better in regards to Inky, but I know it is a long road ahead. She still resides with the dogs and the staff just doesn't have the time to work with her. I am still hoping for a Cinderella ending.

You will find kind-hearted people everywhere, but you won't always find kind-hearted state legislators. Missouri has a lot of things going for it, however, animal rights is not one of them.

Wow, you really went above and beyond for that little feline, thank you. We need more people like you in this world.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Every human must base their knowledge of animals on what they learn as they go. One vet may have great instincts with cats, another with horses. Rescuers are the same. We learn about the whole process as we go. We learn about the animals and all the people we deal with. Just try to take things as calmly as you can and still watch out for Inky. Calm will work best with the vet, Inky and your own rattled nerves. I am so glad that you got to see her and found her able to be calmed by your presence. Just continue to do the best you can for her. If she is due to be spayed then maybe she will be moved or released. She does have to go through that before any release would be considered. Getting that done sounds promising. Please keep us posted. :alright:

This vet has a tendency to view animals as a science project, he has great instincts on how to cure them, just not so great when it comes to viewing them as complex beings with feelings.

I will certainly keep you posted. :)

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I visited her today and was a little encouraged by the fact that she seemed to calm down when she heard my voice. At least she stop hissing and growling, which was a plus. I proceeded to talk to her in a calm voice and she started to close her eyes. So either she found my voice to be soothing or boring- one of the two :) She is suppose to get spayed on Monday. I will be visiting her after the surgery. Let me please ask you something- do you think that catnip would help?
You are a good person for caring for her well being and I am sure she senses that too. Keep at it and I think you will have a very happy story with her, just like my Murphy did

Last edited:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This vet has a tendency to view animals as a science project, he has great instincts on how to cure them, just not so great when it comes to viewing them as complex beings with feelings.

I am relieved that you can visit Inky. One of our valley's most renowned horsemen told me that cats and horses can understand our thoughts even when they don't understand the actual words. My vet is very good working with ferals but at the more expensive clinic they are also very scientific in their approach.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I do understand what you mean about the vet. His strength is not in the area you need right now. Maybe he will bond with one of the animals in a way that leads him down a different path at some point. We will hope that happens right now. You just keep doing what you can for yourself and Inky.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I mean some vets i guess see animals as a science project which you would hope that he is someone who would consider that a cat has feelings otherwise i would be wondering really dark thoughts as to why is he there working as a vet in the first place, if you get my drift. Sometimes they go in for the right reasons and then change and their reason is profits. I would like to think that most vets who are in their roles are there geniuinly there for the welfare of the animal and do their best to care for them to make them healthy again.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Update:

Inky is not a female! LOL! He was neutered today, is doing well, and will be moved to the quiet room. He still wants to bite the tar out of anyone who comes near him, although he has gotten to the point of allowing the vet to pet him with a long stick. That's progress folks, because on first try with the stick Inky would try to tear it to pieces.

I plan to visit him everyday and just quietly hang outside his cage and talk to him. Hopefully, he will become more mellow and I, or someone else, can take him home.

I want to thank all of the incredibly compassionate people who took such an interest in Inky's plight.
Talien, zed xyzed, catsknowme, Furballsmom, fionasmom,Willowy,rosegold, foxxycat, Leomc123, calicosrspecial, JamesCalifornia, will2002, lavishsqualo, and Jcatbird.

You guys are incredible.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update:

Inky is not a female! LOL! He was neutered today, is doing well, and will be moved to the quiet room. He still wants to bite the tar out of anyone who comes near him, although he has gotten to the point of allowing the vet to pet him with a long stick. That's progress folks, because on first try with the stick Inky would try to tear it to pieces.

I plan to visit him everyday and just quietly hang outside his cage and talk to him. Hopefully, he will become more mellow and I, or someone else, can take him home.

I want to thank all of the incredibly compassionate people who took such an interest in Inky's plight.
Talien, zed xyzed, catsknowme, Furballsmom, fionasmom,Willowy,rosegold, foxxycat, Leomc123, calicosrspecial, JamesCalifornia, will2002, lavishsqualo, and Jcatbird.

You guys are incredible.

I'll keep rooting for you and Inky until he finds a good home. It sounds like it's going to be an uphill battle, but it's always worth it.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I mean some vets i guess see animals as a science project which you would hope that he is someone who would consider that a cat has feelings otherwise i would be wondering really dark thoughts as to why is he there working as a vet in the first place, if you get my drift. Sometimes they go in for the right reasons and then change and their reason is profits. I would like to think that most vets who are in their roles are there geniuinly there for the welfare of the animal and do their best to care for them to make them healthy again.

I think the older vets are there for the right reason. Our doctors are the same way, when was the last time you met with one that had a decent "bedside manner"?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update:

You guys are incredible.

You are INCREDIBLE!! Thank you for your commitment and dedication to help Inky.

This is fantastic news. Being in the quiet room should help him in feeling more comfortable since it will be less stressful for him.

It is totally understandable that he at first attacked the long stick. He is cornered in a cage and something is coming at him. He doesn't know if it is dangerous, a threat etc. BUT he then accepted it and a little trust was built up. Knowing the stick wasn't going to threaten him. GREAT!! Shows that he can understand a threat vs a non-threat. I think it is a very positive sign.

That is a great plan. Talk to him in a loving, calm, and confident voice. If you can give him treats in a safe way that could be very helpful. I like to use a treat that is very stinky but any treat will most likely do. Just be safe and keep your emotions as calm and confident around him as possible.

Cats in cages and in difficult places (with dogs, etc) can act very differently then they would in an open more welcoming place. So being to successfully evaluate a cat in that environment is not always easy. But I truly believe cats respond to being loved. It takes time (some longer than others) and there is a process but I truly believe (from my experience) that trust can be built. Not every cat will be a lap cat but I honestly believe every cat can find happiness and trust and confidence with love.

Keep up the great work and please feel free to ask us anything anytime. We are happy to try to help in any way we can.

Thank you so much for all you are doing for Inky!!