Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease - Just Diagnosed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
O my just catching up on this thread in a huge rush of emotion. Sending all healing energies to you both…his eyes say how deeply he loves & trusts you. Had never even heard of this being a thing w/ cats, so learning a lot here, I am sure you are helping other people with this thread. I hope he is not in too much pain, poor sweetie. As others have said, I hope you too get some sleep.
Thank you so much, we do have a really special bond. He loves his hugs and kisses.

I hope it helps others too. It happens mostly to young cats. His pain is well under control and I haven't even heard a meow out of him. I think the surgeon did an excellent job of that. Another great thing about Ash is that he takes his medicine without any trouble. That makes things much easier.

I did get some sleep but it reminds me of when I was a young mother, up all night with sick kids.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here we are on day 3 already! Woke up to find that he had managed to get the inflatable donut and collar off during the night. Oh my goodness! I don't know how long it was off for but there doesn't appear to be any damage to the incisions. He seemed to just want to clean his fur. Yes, I was watching him like a hawk!

The Buprenorphine has worn off now and he is frisky, happy and ready to go! Had a good breakfast and a nice drink of water, but still wasn't able to poop. He did go in the litter box, dug out a spot and squatted but then he came back out. It looks like he wants to go but doesn't feel comfortable in that back end. I'll contact the vet tomorrow if there's still nothing. It could also be all the medication. I'm not seeing a lot of urination either and these towels are not wet or soiled.

I've started him back on his Gabapentin today too according to the vet's instructions, and will leave the cone off for now because he's sound asleep and not bothering the area. I'll also try making another onesie with a more stretchy material.

20221113_100746.jpg 20221113_100800.jpg 20221113_100917.jpg 20221113_104904.jpg

Lulu tries to steal his food through the bars, naughty girl!

Last edited:

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi
Check with your vet but can you add a little bit of olive oil? I don't think I'd try miralax without discussing things with the vet.
I won't try anything without checking with the vet first. I may send a text today and see if I get a reply. Oh, BAHAHAAH, Lulu just went to snoop through all of Ash's stuff on the dresser and put his cone on all by herself...she can't get it back off again so it's too cute not to share. Hilarious!

20221113_130929.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He looks wonderful! There are a lot of different cones available, but he may have the same reaction to all of them. Keep in touch with the vet about the elimination. It can take some time to get back to normal, but still bears watching.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks wonderful! There are a lot of different cones available, but he may have the same reaction to all of them. Keep in touch with the vet about the elimination. It can take some time to get back to normal, but still bears watching.
He sure does. I thought the Gabapentin would knock him out but he's up and frisky again. I don't want him getting too active. I spoke to the vet about it on Saturday but I am watching for sure!

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I left the room for a minute and came back to find Ash had pushed open the crate door ( I have it ajar and blocked off with boxes so that I can get in and out) and was making a desperate rush to the litter boxes in the bathroom! He tried all three of them until he decided which one to use. He peed (a lot) and then threw cat litter all over the floor. He obviously does not want to use the one inside the crate.

It isn't very far, the crate is right outside my bathroom but I hope it wasn't too much movement for him. Vet said he can walk a little to the litter box but not too far. Oh my, this is going to be a challenge. Cone is back on.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely! I had a feeling that might be what it was from the start. Remember at the beginning of this thread where I showed that he dumped the box out? That's also why I tried to move it away from his bed area the other day. I guess it wasn't far enough for his liking. He's a very clean cat. I'm going to work on setting up something better for him. I only have so many options but I'm sure I can come up with something. Working on it...

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you borrow another similar sized crate? Then put the open doors directly across from each other? That way, he gets a two room kitty recovery room, and you can put the litter pan on one side away from where he sleeps.
I did think of that and I'll see if I can borrow one. The thing is he only seems to want to use the one in the bathroom. I rigged up a little tunnel between the bathroom door and the crate temporarily. We did have poop this morning. Yay! It was more like diarrhea, but the vet said that's normal while on all the meds. I put a small litter box in the tunnel area overnight but he didn't use it. He asked me to let him out to poop this morning. They are so cute the way they communicate.

I will have to set up a larger space for him as he recovers. Finding a space in my house with no furniture or anything that he can jump on, is very difficult. Maybe a pen and a leash. I'm getting ahead of myself...don't want to rush things too much.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news that he is eliminating and I agree that the diarrhea is explainable. Ash is just a fastidious little boy and does not want his litter anywhere near his food.
So true! He did the cutest thing yesterday...I was hand feeding him because he had his cone on, and he ate some of the food, then put his paw up. It looked like he was trying to tell me that he had had enough. Just to make sure, I offered him the food again and he put his paw up again. How darned cute is that?!

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a darling cat !!and!! He's sitting and getting around .. wow 😲👍🙏🤩
I know eh? Its crazy how quickly they start to heal. He's actually learning that if I take his cone off and he licks in those spots, if l tell him to stop and he does, I won't put the cone on. Such a good boy! I'm so glad that I went ahead with this surgery. Incisions are looking really good. Licking his rear today but I think it might just be irritated with the diarrhea. I've always owned cats but never a tabby. They are awesome cats!