Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease - Just Diagnosed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just picked Ash up from the clinic. He seems to be doing well and getting settled. Not interested in food yet, so I will try again in a little while. I think he just wants to sleep for now. Incisions are huge but they look good. I read that I shouldn't fuss over him too much and he is quite "high" due to a shot of Buprenorphine. They want him to stay in the crate for a full two weeks before introducing more activity. Whew! I'm emotionally drained. Here's my boy!

20221111_124746.jpg 20221111_123730.jpg 20221111_113936.jpg 20221111_112209.jpg 20221111_114350.jpg

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Both sides, poor little soul. He will be very tired and will probably rest a lot, which is all for the best. These incisions all look very spectacular at first, but they do heal and the fur comes back and life will resume. You must feel like sleeping, too, after all this.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both sides, poor little soul. He will be very tired and will probably rest a lot, which is all for the best. These incisions all look very spectacular at first, but they do heal and the fur comes back and life will resume. You must feel like sleeping, too, after all this.
Yes, both sides. Both were seriously deteriorated and fractured. Amazing how fast this disease progresses without detection. I am exhausted. This is totally draining. He seems to be doing alright though. He's sleeping. I will try to interest him in some food again shortly. Vet says not to worry too much, just keep offering it to him. They said I can cuddle him but he might be a bit growly. I was afraid to touch him. Don't want to hurt anything. Taking it slow and playing it by ear.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
:cheerleader::clap2: Great news!

Lots of members use the onesies, especially for cats who bother a spay incision. Is he starting to bother the incisions? They may get itchy, so that may be in his future, especially while stitches or staples are still in.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wondering if anyone had used those after surgery onesies?
I made him one from the leg of some sweats. I might have to modify the bottom but his back legs are good. I was afraid to go to sleep last night incase he got his cone off, but it was still intact this morning. Still hasn't used the litter box, so I made the space a bit bigger for him until I can set up something better.

20221112_114230.jpg

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:cheerleader::clap2: Great news!

Lots of members use the onesies, especially for cats who bother a spay incision. Is he starting to bother the incisions? They may get itchy, so that may be in his future, especially while stitches or staples are still in.
He hasn't touched them yet. I did see him lick his lower leg earlier but I'm watching him closely! He is doing really well so far.

20221112_100741.jpg 20221112_100702.jpg

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks much more alert today!
Much better than last night. Look at this! It just wasn't working for me at all. :lol: Poor baby. The vet said he was just trying to get comfortable. Sure doesn't look comfortable to me. No worries, we are getting our own routine.

20221111_160022.jpg

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Lily couldn't lift her head and had to walk backwards and drag it along. I took it off.

I can definitely see that happening. My son's GF went and got him an inflatable one. He hasn't moved since I put it on. I think he fell asleep on it. We shall see how he does with that one. He was really hungry tonight but he still hasn't pooped. :headscratch:

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
O my just catching up on this thread in a huge rush of emotion. Sending all healing energies to you both…his eyes say how deeply he loves & trusts you. Had never even heard of this being a thing w/ cats, so learning a lot here, I am sure you are helping other people with this thread. I hope he is not in too much pain, poor sweetie. As others have said, I hope you too get some sleep.