Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease - Just Diagnosed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call the vet and ask if a onesie would be okay in place of a cone, with supervision. He is doing way better with the cone than any of mine have ever done.
Yes, I'm surprised. He is doing well with the cone. I think he's getting used to it. Water is hard. I used a little dropper today on the edge of the cone. He did lick it off. Whatever works to get a cat to drink some water. :headscratch:

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm so sorry! :vibes::alright:
Still at it. Every time I clean him up and clean out the crate, he goes again. Poor little thing, his bum is all red and swollen. I know this is gross but it's just leaking out of him constantly. Another load of laundry in! He's sleeping now so I'm going to eat.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't panic as there are ups and downs to this kind of recovery, the nature of the surgery, the medications involved, etc. It is a lot of work, but Ash is really being so much better than many cats would be under the circumstances.
Thanks for that encouragement! I know, he's been such a good boy so far. I went and picked up some FortiFlora and he won't get any Metacam tonight. The vet suggested I give him a sachet with each meal. It was so hard to restrain him during this. All the moving around with the clean-up. He went under my bed and my husband had to get him out. I'm really doing the best I can...I keep telling myself that! Kudos to all those folks who work in animal shelters and to all of the volunteers.

I was starting to run out of towels and blankets so I dug out some old fancy sheets. I guess there was a reason that I didn't toss them out! He has fancy clouds and flower sheets now until he messes again. Oh my!

20221115_140658.jpg :hyper:

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh! When it finally stops the constant drips, maybe see if you can apply a little coconut oil to help with the discomfort.
I wiped him gently with a warm, soft cloth. I don't have any coconut oil. Anything else I could use?

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a bit concerned about this diarrhea. Does anyone know how long it might last and should I put his cone on so that he doesn't lick his bottom? He cries when I try to clean him. Is there anything I can put on him, like a diaper? I don't know what to do exactly.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He cries when I try to clean him.
oh, baby boy. Can you dab at it instead of actually wiping--probably won't matter, he must be so ouchy. A little olive oil, but maybe you can get some coconut oil, it's recommended, or even bag balm, desitin or A&D ointment, or possibly neosporin (not the pain reducing version). Unfortunately, he probably needs the cone back on, but can you get ahold of your vet, and ask about that too?

I don't know if a diaper would help? If you look on chewy, you can see how they're made and maybe diy fashion something?

Last edited:

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh, baby boy. Can you dab at it instead of actually wiping--probably won't matter, he must be so ouchy. A little olive oil, but maybe you can get some coconut oil, it's recommended, or even bag balm, desitin or A&D ointment, or possibly neosporin (not the pain reducing version). Unfortunately, he probably needs the cone back on, but can you get ahold of your vet, and ask about that too?

I don't know if a diaper would help? If you look on chewy, you can see how they're made and maybe diy fashion something?
I called the vet, she told me that I'm all good and to just breathe. I put the cone back on and just dabbed it with cool water. They said to use cool water or baby wipes. I only have facial wipes so I'll stick with just the water for now. He went to the litter box but didn't go in there. I'll try one of these suggestions later, but I think I'll just leave him alone for a bit. He's a little miserable.

Last edited:

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fortiflora takes about a day to work in my experience. Tomorrow should be better. I would think a newborn diaper might work if you can get it around his tail. Poor baby. He being such a good boy.
I have a diaper here that was left over from one of my grandkids. It was just an idea, but it probably won't work. The vet said to go ahead and feed him supper, and hopefully, the Fortiflora will work overnight. I used to give it to both of them when they were kittens. They had terrible diarrhea when I picked them up from their foster home. As miserable as he is today, he's still a good, sweet boy!

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
whew, this is good to hear! Hang in there!!
I will. I gave up on the laundry and put paper towels on top of his bedding, that way I can just switch them out. He doesn't feel good at all though, didn't eat much. He went back to sleep so I put a damp paper towel under his tail. Maybe it will give a little relief. :sigh:

I'm probably worrying and fussing too much. I just read an article on Metacam and now I'm freaking out. :rolleyes: