Krista's Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1st breakfast finished. Bupe given. Second breakfast plated (of which she’s already finished half.). I’m off the hook until 5 pm now. 🙀😸 I’ll load up the feeders later before I head out and give her afternoon nap time.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL
I was holding my breath that things would change after she came home/the initial surgery meds wore off.

Wow!
I may still try her on pred after her mouth has healed up to see if I can stimulate her appetite while also reducing gut inflammation. Her latest ultrasound says her small intestinal walls are still thickened.

She still needs to eat more than I'm feeding her. But I'm more confident that we can get there. I'll keep giving her bupe throughout the weekend and check back in with the dentist about the bupe schedule after that.

In any case, I know we addressed many problems in her mouth. Even if this isn't the miracle cure that takes her eating back to "normal", it's still a huge improvement over where she was. This gives her a chance where before it was looking pretty bleak.

Let's see how the recovery continues to go and what Monday's weigh-in says. For now, I'm just happy to be off the hook for the homemade. Dentist wants me to wait until her mouth has healed before I feed her raw again. He said he's not a huge fan of raw to begin with. But it's probably a good idea to avoid it anyway until her mouth heals up. No need to bring extra bacteria into recent surgery sites.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I may still try her on pred after her mouth has healed up to see if I can stimulate her appetite while also reducing gut inflammation. Her latest ultrasound says her small intestinal walls are still thickened.

She still needs to eat more than I'm feeding her. But I'm more confident that we can get there. I'll keep giving her bupe throughout the weekend and check back in with the dentist about the bupe schedule after that.

In any case, I know we addressed many problems in her mouth. Even if this isn't the miracle cure that takes her eating back to "normal", it's still a huge improvement over where she was. This gives her a chance where before it was looking pretty bleak.

Let's see how the recovery continues to go and what Monday's weigh-in says. For now, I'm just happy to be off the hook for the homemade. Dentist wants me to wait until her mouth has healed before I feed her raw again. He said he's not a huge fan of raw to begin with. But it's probably a good idea to avoid it anyway until her mouth heals up. No need to bring extra bacteria into recent surgery sites.
I know there are many opinions on feeding but I agree with her vet. Plus, the nutrient range and balance in a high-quality wet food is so-called proven to be optimum for most cats. She's doing so well! And it's so early in the game -- she's eating well and gaining weight. I'd be celebrating! (I am, even so -- I look forward to reading her latest progress reports) and the pred sounds like a possible, definitely!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh actually. I forgot I was trying CBD on her before the surgery. That also seemed to be helping her appetite some. Once she's done with the bupe, I'd like to try her on the CBD again first. I also want to try meat stock again but maybe after a week or two of CBD. Best not to try too much at once.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's just two days removed from major oral surgery. I'm not shocked that her eating has slowed a little from that first day when she probably wasn't feeling anything in her mouth. When I had my wisdom teeth removed, it wasn't that first day but the several days to a week after that I felt the pain. I was knocked out for the procedure. From the way the oral surgeon described it, I have this vision of her standing in my lap, one foot on a leg and the other against my chest while she was yanking with all her bodyweight on one of those teeth. She said she really had to put a lot of effort into at least one of them to get it out of my head. I don't think the vet dentist was doing the same for Krista. But it wouldn't surprise me if she's feeling some pain for a few days. They sent me home with enough liquid bupe to get her through several more days at every 8 hours. I'd like to eventually reduce to every 12 so I don't have to wake in the middle of the night but I'll check in with the dentist on that first.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I know there are many opinions on feeding but I agree with her vet. Plus, the nutrient range and balance in a high-quality wet food is so-called proven to be optimum for most cats. She's doing so well! And it's so early in the game -- she's eating well and gaining weight. I'd be celebrating! (I am, even so -- I look forward to reading her latest progress reports) and the pred sounds like a possible, defini
She's just two days removed from major oral surgery. I'm not shocked that her eating has slowed a little from that first day when she probably wasn't feeling anything in her mouth. When I had my wisdom teeth removed, it wasn't that first day but the several days to a week after that I felt the pain. I was knocked out for the procedure. From the way the oral surgeon described it, I have this vision of her standing in my lap, one foot on a leg and the other against my chest while she was yanking with all her bodyweight on one of those teeth. She said she really had to put a lot of effort into at least one of them to get it out of my head. I don't think the vet dentist was doing the same for Krista. But it wouldn't surprise me if she's feeling some pain for a few days. They sent me home with enough liquid bupe to get her through several more days at every 8 hours. I'd like to eventually reduce to every 12 so I don't have to wake in the middle of the night but I'll check in with the dentist on that first.
I had all four of mine out at the same time and was on liquids for some time afterwards. The dentist promised me a coffee when I woke up. *I'm still waiting*

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know there are many opinions on feeding but I agree with her vet. Plus, the nutrient range and balance in a high-quality wet food is so-called proven to be optimum for most cats. She's doing so well! And it's so early in the game -- she's eating well and gaining weight. I'd be celebrating! (I am, even so -- I look forward to reading her latest progress reports) and the pred sounds like a possible, defini

I had all four of mine out at the same time and was on liquids for some time afterwards. The dentist promised me a coffee when I woke up. *I'm still waiting*
I had all four out at the same time too. I had a business trip to Denver two or three days later. Sometime that first night in Denver, I must have bit a nerve or something in my sleep. The bottom half of my face went numb for a week or two. I didn’t mind so much because I wasn’t feeling pain. But I also was a drool machine. Especially with the elevation. It was also one of my first business trips and I was disappointed that the other team members were ordering steak and lobster on the company account and I had to go with some seafood bisque. It was good, but it was no steak and lobster. That was a long time ago when I still ate steak.

Krista’s finished the breakfasts and has a bonus duck and tuna meal I plated for her to see if she wanted something different from the rabbit and tuna. I think we’ve established a clear preference for rabbit and tuna but that plate may be empty when I get back. Feeder portions are loaded with rabbit and tuna. If she finishes everything plated, we’ll get to 2.5 oz before the dinners. If she finishes the dinners, the bupe meal, and the feeder portions on the overnight, that will put her at 5 oz. I’d like 4 bare minimum, 6 preferred, and 8 would be ideal. With 8 oz a day, I know she’ll reach protein targets for a geriatric cat and she can use the excess macros for weight gain.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know there are many opinions on feeding but I agree with her vet. Plus, the nutrient range and balance in a high-quality wet food is so-called proven to be optimum for most cats. She's doing so well! And it's so early in the game -- she's eating well and gaining weight. I'd be celebrating! (I am, even so -- I look forward to reading her latest progress reports) and the pred sounds like a possible, definitely!
I agree with the dentist that canned is better than raw right now. The nutrient profile is assured and there’s no reason to increase the bacteria load in her mouth while it’s trying to heal.

I wouldn’t say she is gaining weight yet. I only weigh her once a week for both of our sanity. That weigh-in will be Monday morning. I’m going to call this a recovery week and hope only that we’ve stopped the weight loss. She has the rest of her life to gain weight again. But let’s get this recovery right so she doesn’t need any more procedures.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the dentist that canned is better than raw right now. The nutrient profile is assured and there’s no reason to increase the bacteria load in her mouth while it’s trying to heal.

I wouldn’t say she is gaining weight yet. I only weigh her once a week for both of our sanity. That weigh-in will be Monday morning. I’m going to call this a recovery week and hope only that we’ve stopped the weight loss. She has the rest of her life to gain weight again. But let’s get this recovery right so she doesn’t need any more procedures.
You said she weighs 8 lbs. now, right? That's a pretty respectable weight for an older female cat, unless her bone structure is huge. I haven't weighed my cats, who are 16, 15, and 12, recently, but I'd be surprised if my 16-year-old, Tarifa, weighs 8 lbs. She's a small-framed cat, though, and according to the visual charts, she's perfect. They get one tin each (5.5 oz.) of wet food per day, and high-quality dry free-choice, which they snack on lightly, plus some treats before bed. Tarifa and Suha are perfect, and Elvis is overweight, but not seriously, and I'm not too concerned about it going into the cool weather seasons. He usually drops some in summer. No one is overeating.

Yeah, wisdom teeth extractions are no picnic! I get shot twice a year for cleaning and I don't like the numbness when I'm trying to talk and sound like a cartoon character. But it's better than having the pain!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s 7.7 lbs weighed at the dentist on Wed morning. She was 9 lbs earlier this summer before clostridium and her latest tooth induced hunger strike. The last time I weighed her on my bathroom scale, she was 7.6 or 7.7 depending on which reading you take. My scale, my digital scale which should be more precise than this, never gives me the same reading twice. We must have fat air up here. 🤦🏼‍♂️😹

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s 7.7 lbs weighed at the dentist on Wed morning. She was 9 lbs earlier this summer before clostridium and her latest tooth induced hunger strike. The last time I weighed her on my bathroom scale, she was 7.6 or 7.7 depending on which reading you take. My scale, my digital scale which should be more precise than this, never gives me the same reading twice. We must have fat air up here. 🤦🏼‍♂️😹
Umm, yeah, isn't that what you're known for up there? :crackup:Well, still not bad. Come on, Krista! We're all rooting for you here!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eating dinner with my cat. She gets the real meat. I get the plant-based stuff. The new Beyond BBQ Cheeseburger reminds me of the Westerns I used to have before going veg. 🤤
View attachment 306049
EXCELLENT! Krista is adorable, BTW, in her latest pic. :loveeyes:
Are those pretty good? I haven't had one yet. I like the Morning Star Farms and Boca Burgers. That pic makes me hungry! :yummy:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her eating started to slow last night. I had projected her to 4.5 oz had she finished all her portions (second dinner and two feeder mini portions—1 portions split across two feeders.). Instead she pulled up to 3.9 oz. She’s only had half of first breakfast and still working on the second half of second breakfast. Not sure what’s going on here. I did push her bupe dose back an hour but she did finish that first dinner. She had her next dose on time at 2 am and again at 10 am.

Anyway, I feel like I’m teetering on the edge of getting sick. I don’t have time for that. So I’m spending today in fever-break protocol: drink lots of water and sleep under every blanket I can until I wake up in a puddle of sweat. Krista has been curling up on me or next to me during this.

Status
Not open for further replies.