Krista's Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The things I do for this cat. The remote start on my car isn’t working this morning. So instead of letting the car warm up so the heat will work from the comfort of the hotel room, I have to sit in my nearly frozen car and do it the way we did it before remote starts. My first car let me pull the key after starting so I could lock up and go back inside while it was warming up.

TLDR I’m freezing in my car warming it up so the heat will work and my cat, who has a fur coat, won’t be too cold. 🤦🏼‍♂️

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Consult went better than expected!

And because of the fire, Dr had his afternoon procedure appointment cancel. So he will do Krista’s procedure today too.

I dropped her off for a full mouth extraction (as full as her mouth is these days) and root cleanups. Finally a Dr who agrees with me that it’s better to take the remaining teeth and roots now rather than waiting for them to become problems (or bigger problems than now.). He definitely identified a few issues now (lip entrapment, occlusion, botched root jobs) and/or potential issues that should be cleared up with today’s procedure.

He also gave me the “informed consent” talk that this may not fix whatever has caused her eating to slow. It may be her teeth but it could still be something else. Like her IBD.

But he agreed with me that she can’t go on like this either.

I should get a call in a few hours about how it went and when I can pick up my toothless cat.

So glad I got the room for an extra night!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dentist called and said he completed his evaluation. The canine definitely has resorption and is certainly a source of pain. I am not imagining things and I don’t need to argue with her regular Drs about that anymore. There are other teeth and roots that can be contributing to a varying degree. He expressed some concern about whether some roots can be removed and said he won’t know for sure until he’s opened up her gums. I told him to get greedy and do as much as he can because I have no one more qualified at my disposal. And I don’t want to be scheduling follow up procedures in the future given dentist lead times. He’s added another hour of surgery time and another 25% to the estimate. If it solves almost two years worth of dental problems and brings her eating back to previous levels, it will be worth every penny.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s back. She’s in great spirits right now. But she’s probably still pretty high from the meds. She’s still very wobbly. But...she’s already eating again! Quite voraciously! I mean she has developed a clear preference for rabbit with tuna over plain rabbit. But if it doesn’t bother her gut, that’s a compromise we can make. She is excessively grooming right now. Before she was rubbing pawing at her mouth. But not scratching it or trying to get her paw inside. I called the dentist and he said her mouth probably feels weird from the dental blocks. I can get her a cone if I’m worried about it. And I might. But she’s also having a moment right now. I’m not sure if she ate too fast or licked too hard. Probably ate too fast because her mouth should still be numb for the latter to be an issue. I think I’ll wait and see. And if we need to go for a cone, I’ll pack her up and take her with me. A couple towns over. That aren’t closing early because of the fire.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Room booked. We’re road-tripping again in two weeks for the recheck.

I plated a quarter oz of tuna and rabbit and she’s already finished it. Her stomach is probably smaller these days from only nibbling. So I’m going to do a slow ramp up tonight. No rush. Barfing right now would be counterproductive and unsanitary and it could irritate her sutures. So no barfing. I’ll give her another quarter ounce in two or three hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.