Krista's Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*hugs* I've had times where there are disconnects between the Vet and myself etc. It is quite frustrating.

I'm glad you are the kind that calls to follow up and make sure everything is okay.

XOXOXO

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so frustrated with her current vet office! I called the dentist to make sure they got the records they needed and they said they requested twice and did not receive them. I called the office and they said they transferred twice. I told them send me a copy in case there is some disconnect between you two. Well, I got a copy without the radiology. So I asked them to send me the radiology and I'm still waiting on that. I am going to have to use the sneaker-net once more and stop into the office in person and not leave until I have her radiology in my inbox. They seem determined to kill Krista with neglect!
That's not good at all! But you like her vet and the cleanliness and professionality of the facility?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's not good at all! But you like her vet and the cleanliness and professionality of the facility?
To be honest, I like her former vet that moved on to another facility. I like the location. I like the staff: front office and techs. I like one of the Drs because she's no-nonsense and usually she's pretty thorough. I imagine she didn't take new x-ray films last weekend because she was certain she wasn't going to do anything in her mouth but refer me to a dentist anyway. Or maybe I didn't make myself clear that I wanted new films even if she wasn't going to do any work. The other doctor? He's competent but he doesn't return my calls, doesn't return my emails, and when I asked about a prescription, he didn't do that either. I will be stopping into that facility in person this afternoon to get the radiology sent to me already. If the dentist next week can't help me or the wait for the procedure is too long, I need to be able to shop around her x-rays without having the delays and run-arounds with each new doctor. I will also talk about transferring her care to the no-nonsense woman doctor.

I'm feeling like it's make-or-break time with the dentist next week. I'm also feeling like there's a real good chance that months of struggling with her portion sizes might finally be resolved if I'm right and her teeth/mouth has been bothering her all this time.

Let me get her films. Let's do the dentist consultation next week. I've got blinders on for anything past that. Neither Krista nor myself are ready to consider the alternative yet.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whew! That's a relief!

I was fortunately already prepared to make a new batch of food for her. And even if I wasn't, we still have some Rad Cat from my last tub plus some turkey/rabbit blend I made from the last rabbit I butchered.

However, I've been feeling incredibly nervous and guilty about two things with this last batch. I still haven't established if egg yolk is irritating to her IBD. I haven't seen any of the head-shaking like before when I used to give her egg yolk powder in her food. And the last batch did not have added B-vitamins. I was assuming that if egg yolk and meat was good enough for Rad Cat, maybe I could skip the B complex that smells like feet. But I think it wasn't the B-complex as much as using the wrong meat last time that got my recipe rejected by the boss. She likes thigh meat and the grinds I have been trying with her are mystery dark meat. It doesn't say which cuts they come from. But not cuts that appeal much to Krista apparently. When I can plate raw grind and she's not interested, there's something wrong with that meat or the cut(s) it came from. I got her up to 2.5 oz finally and now I can take my afternoon break before we start the evening shift. If I can go to sleep with 4 to 4.5 oz in her, maybe she can do another ounce or ounce and a half on the overnight again.

tldr; she's eating the new batch!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be honest, I like her former vet that moved on to another facility. I like the location. I like the staff: front office and techs. I like one of the Drs because she's no-nonsense and usually she's pretty thorough. I imagine she didn't take new x-ray films last weekend because she was certain she wasn't going to do anything in her mouth but refer me to a dentist anyway. Or maybe I didn't make myself clear that I wanted new films even if she wasn't going to do any work. The other doctor? He's competent but he doesn't return my calls, doesn't return my emails, and when I asked about a prescription, he didn't do that either. I will be stopping into that facility in person this afternoon to get the radiology sent to me already. If the dentist next week can't help me or the wait for the procedure is too long, I need to be able to shop around her x-rays without having the delays and run-arounds with each new doctor. I will also talk about transferring her care to the no-nonsense woman doctor.

I'm feeling like it's make-or-break time with the dentist next week. I'm also feeling like there's a real good chance that months of struggling with her portion sizes might finally be resolved if I'm right and her teeth/mouth has been bothering her all this time.

Let me get her films. Let's do the dentist consultation next week. I've got blinders on for anything past that. Neither Krista nor myself are ready to consider the alternative yet.
Hope you get them with no problem -- you are certainly entitled to them. So hoping that it is something that can be cured/corrected and results in her improved appetite and quality of life all around!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
“We have a preference ladder in Krista Test Kitchen. She likes the rabbit-turkey blend least. She liked the last turkey batch the most. But she’ll eat the current batch even with the B that smells like feet. She also eats it with meat stock. And I’m not sure when she plans on pooping. But the new batch has psyllium too. “

Note in tonight’s food journal for her, um, third “dinner” (?). She has very subtle cues that say, “I could eat.” And I don’t want to miss those turn into, “bookcase sounds good.” So I feed her as much as she’ll take as often as she’ll eat.

She still nibbles at the Rawz. The rabbit plate looked untouched when I picked it up. But when I weighed it, there was 10 g gone. I gave Krista credit for 8 g and the carpet for 2. 😹

I think the next challenge for Krista Test Kitchen is to experiment with texture of Rawz to see if I can get a slurpable texture like the homemade. Maybe she waits for the Rawz to dry out to make it easier to pick up. I really don’t know. But I’d like to figure out how she can eat more of it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And we have poop! A couple of raw perfect half cigars.

And then she killed Da Bird! She wasnt much interested in playing earlier in the night so I left it at ground level in the corner. She remembered. She found it. She fished it out and was chewing on it. I burgled her bombs and caught up to her Bird hunting. We had a spirited hunt. She leapt a couple of times. And then she killed it. The string connecting the Da Bird to the wand snapped. No big deal. I retied it and we had another spirited 30 seconds to a minute of play. That's about all she has these days. But don't try to skip play. She will sit in front of the closet door in protest and expectation.

We got through about 5.5 oz of food yesterday. Let's see how we do today. I may mirtz her later this morning if I can't get her to finish this morning's half ounce.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But when I weighed it, there was 10 g gone. I gave Krista credit for 8 g and the carpet for 2. 😹
I laughed so hard when I read this. I thought my kittties were the only slob eaters.

I keep getting bigger plates and I'm like "Geshh guys how big does a plate have to be for you NOT to push half of it onto the floor." :doh:

Glad she pooped! YAY POOP!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First breakfast getting her to eat half an ounce and then cooking and eating something myself took two hours. I want to go back to sleep. But the sound bar will play Krista’s cat rock in an hour. And the smart lights will fade on about the same time for her second breakfast. So I get an hour before we have to start again on her next meals.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New batch is not as big a hit as I had hoped. I busted out a Rad Cat meal and fortunately that’s still a hit. As soon as I can buy more giblets (just need another heart), I can make another batch. This is why I’m still making 1 lbs batches.

Also I mirtz’ed her this morning as I need more help from her than I was getting.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
30 grams of Rad Cat down the hatch. She was licking the plate clean. Why oh why are we having such a hard time replicating this recipe?

I am feeling like I might be teetering on getting sick. I don't have time for this.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another 25 g.

My kingdom for a freezer full of Rad Cat!

I might be able to get her up to 5 oz on homemade/raw alone today. We’re at 2.5 and that’s a good place to call morning shift.

I think I’ll go out for more turkey giblets, more Rawz, and I’ll see about speaking with the vet office again about her xrays.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was probably too ambitious to expect an ounce and a half of Rad Cat to be picked up and stay down in such a short period of time when she hasn’t been picking up that much food at once.

She barfed about an ounce worth. I managed to scrape about 20 g off the carpet into a baggie to weigh it. I am giving her 10 g back. She’s got the Rawz if she’s still hungry.
FB42EC04-4DA3-407E-AB24-3DC9C77D9E6A.jpeg

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was probably too ambitious to expect an ounce and a half of Rad Cat to be picked up and stay down in such a short period of time when she hasn’t been picking up that much food at once.

She barfed about an ounce worth. I managed to scrape about 20 g off the carpet into a baggie to weigh it. I am giving her 10 g back. She’s got the Rawz if she’s still hungry.
View attachment 305237
This also demonstrates how I’m feeding her wherever she’ll take a meal these days.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I laughed so hard when I read this. I thought my kittties were the only slob eaters.

I keep getting bigger plates and I'm like "Geshh guys how big does a plate have to be for you NOT to push half of it onto the floor." :doh:

Glad she pooped! YAY POOP!
In her defense, she only has three or four teeth left and I don't think any of them match. Poor girls can't even chew through a freeze-dried minnow. It's crazy she can pick up anything at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.