Krista's Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista is pushing the plate looking for crumbs leftover from earlier. I don’t think she appreciates the slow ramp back up of her portions since weeks of nibbling. I squirted her 2 am dose of liquid bupe an hour early because I don’t want to worry about waking in an hour to do this when I’m already up now. Next dose will be 9am. Though I’m sure she’ll be waking me at 5 for first breakfast like she hasn’t in awhile.

We’re back to the liquid bupe so I can be better assured of its delivery and efficacy. No more worrying whether she absorbed the dose or I just layered the dose over the last several dried doses because she won’t let me wash prior doses off her ear.

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear you've found a Doc willing to listen about Krista's teeth! Its been a while since I checked in, I'm glad to see her doing well :)
He’s a board certified vet dentist. Teeth (mouths and jaws too) are his jam. I told him I’m out of options for her mouth. Dvms back home won’t work on it. So I want this to be the last dental she ever needs because board dentists are hard to come by and she’s had two years of this piecemeal.

Yet another plate cleaned for breakfast seems pretty certain that I was right about her teeth all this time.

The best vindication I can think of is bringing her portions back up slowly and restoring her lost weight. She weighed in yesterday at 7.7 which is stable from my bathroom scale readings but still slightly lower on the record. Let’s bring her back in two weeks with stable weight or weight gain. Though I do want to bring her portions back up slowly. Now that she’s scarfing again, we need to protect against barfing.

She’ll get there. All her other blood and urine says as long as her IBD doesn’t slow her down—and we’ll work on getting her back to old foods without tuna—nothing else should get in her way now.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I woke organically a little early for her first breakfast. Her routine. She has me well trained. I figured sooner she eats, sooner we both get back to sleep. I actually look forward to her waking me with a feed me song and dance. Once or twice. I also look forward to deploying the timed feeders again and getting us back on our old schedule.

Anyway, her next bupe comes with second breakfast and we have so much cleaning and packing to do before we check out and head home. I don’t have kids. But traveling with a cat feels like traveling with a kid. I can still travel on a backpack but she takes up the rest of the car and trunk. 🤦🏼‍♂️😹

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
“What is this? It doesn’t have tuna.”
“It’s duck and it has salmon oil. Give it a try.”
“Oh. This isn’t bad. Oh. No pain. There’s still no tuna.”
“Fine! Here’s a bit of tuna mixed in.”
Nomnomnomnom!

I see we have our work cut out weening her off the tuna.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s back home. She finished a half ounce and I loaded another 10 grams or so into the timed feeder. First time I’ve put out a timed feeder in over a month. I have to put my ear up to it and make sure it’s still ticking.

Alright. She’s chilling under the bookcase. She’s got her next nibbles loaded in the shoe (the timed feeder looks a bit like a shoe.) I need to get food and a beer before I come back and bupe her and feed her first dinner.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to load the timed feeders and sleep for a week!

Between the drive, the restless cat, the too firm mattress, I didn’t sleep well the last couple nights. I almost felt a pang of guilt when talking with the front desk about having to switch to a different hotel for the recheck appointment. Almost. This room was adequate. But not very good. And anyway, I’d rather leave the Extended Stay to the evacuees. Me and Krista can have a new adventure.

Krista pulled up early from dinner. Uh oh. To be fair, she had a feeder portion within an hour before. Our timing is a little out of whack today because of her medicine schedule. She may also be feeling a little post-op pain that she was too drugged last night to feel.

After buping her and feeding her, I went out to pick up more CBD sleep gummies. Maybe if I hadn’t run out of those before I left, I might have slept better. I popped one when I got home and slept hard for two hours. Right through the Toy Story 4 I put on. It was probably Krista trying to ride my side that woke me. Plate clean! I think I’ll stretch her stomach a little to next scheduled meal and see if she can take a half ounce at once and a couple more half’s in the feeders for overnight. I’ll have to set an alarm to wake up for her 1am bupe dose. She can take a mini meal at that time too. I’ll start tracking her calories tomorrow and get her back on a sane feeding schedule once more. Or use the timed feeders more often.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plated 16 and it looks like 4 remaining. She’ll absolutely finish that by morning. Feeders are loaded with about 10 g each to open approx 3 and 5 hours from now. That may coincide with her bupe meal, which may be 10 g worth.

I don’t really have treats to give her after medicine right now. I don’t want to powder up any freeze-dried for her because I don’t want any powder abrasions on her extraction sites. And any mousse like treat is going to have xanthan gum which gives it that mousse consistency. Unfortunately, it also gives Krista’s stools a mousse consistency. She’s already getting tuna in her food. That’s treat enough, right?

I guesstimated at her intake today from what I can (almost!) remember plating and the second dinner, bupe meal, and feeders. Not quite 4 oz. Tomorrow I expect approx 4 oz. To get her closer to the six I want her eating, I have to double her meal portions. I will look back over her food journal last year and see how we did it last time. Eventually I want to plate an ounce and a half at each of her four scheduled meals and let her make up the rest with 1 oz tweener meals in the feeders. That would be six oz scheduled and up to 8 burst—if she eats both feeder meals completely, which I never expect. Feeder meals are bridges between the scheduled meals to prevent the stomach acid barfs she will get if she goes too long between meals now.

Spending too much between time blogging about my cat. Now I only have two hours until her bupe and bupe meal. And then five more hours until first breakfast. 🤦🏼‍♂️😔

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alarm went off. I got up to get her bupe and she leapt down to follow me to the kitchen. Okay hungry girl. Fixed her a 12 g meal splitting the difference between conservative 10 g and a half ounce. And just before I serve, I grabbed a syringe. Shoot! She saw that. She didn’t run under the bookcase. That’s good. I would hate to chase her under there to bupe her. But I have before with the wet willy in the ear. Nah. She was easy enough to catch up to. Squirt and feed. Five minutes later, she’s cleaned the plate. She climbed onto my belly to get her fill of scritches and she’s asleep at my feet now. 😻

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her 1am bupe meal and two feeder portions. That’s about an ounce of food altogether. All taken up without my begging or assistance. 👍😻
114923B1-18FE-4596-B04C-6E9E271A46A2.jpeg

First breakfast I decided to try a portion larger than she can eat to see what she does with it. I plated 19 g and she took up 11 before pulling up. I have no doubt that she’ll mow down those last nine grams before next breakfast. But first, it’s bookcase time. I imagine that’s where she goes to undo the top button. 😹😆

Status
Not open for further replies.