Kitten Can Food Question

TG1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I recently adopted a 6 week old kitten. We have had Mia for 2 days now. We have been feeding her Sheba Pate. I was reading online that this should be considered like a 2 or 3 times a week treat versus daily food. Is this true? If so, should I start her on a brand like Friskies and supplement Sheba in every so often? I want to get her started as I know they start to build a preference when they are young.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
The Sheba Pates that I found on Chewy (Sheba Premium Chicken Pate Entree Grain-Free Canned Cat Food, 3-oz, case of 24) said that they are entrees (meaning that they're complete nutrition and can be fed as a meal) and for "all life stages", which is fine for adult cats or kittens. I think Sheba is generally considered a high-quality brand. Some other TCS members know more about feline nutrition than I do, so they might be able to give you more info.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello TG1 TG1 , on behalf of The Catsite community, I warmly welcome you and your new kitty to TCS :wave3:

I'm tabbytom and I'm a Mentor here in Catsite. Feel free to ask questions if you have any. I'm here to help :wink:

Thank you for adopting Mia:clap:

A kitten eats a lot as they are growing up and needs to be fed 4 - 5 times a day and it is good that you are feeding her wet food. They need proteins to grow and that comes from wet food.

Best is give her scheduled feeds. As a guide, feed her as much as she can eat on one sitting. Here you'll know how much she eats and the next feed, give her roughly the same amount. You can never over feed a kitten.

Here are some articles to read to help you get started with the site.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Forum Rules
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition
How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat?
Cat Nutrition - A Recap
What Do I Need To Know About Feeding My Cat?
Which Foods Are Safe Cat Treats?

Do check out the rest of the good reads in the Articles section.

And lastly, do introduce yourself and your kitty to the community in New Cats on the Block and do post photos of your kitty for us to see :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TG1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great, thank you for the reply.

I know Sheba is a bit more pricey than other brands, but from what I can tell the ingredients are a bit better. That is why I was unsure if I should transition to a Friskies or keep her on Sehba

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TG1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just read on this very helpful board that Sheba can food will be discontinued to use their perfect portions line which gives less product and cost more of course.

destinyz12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sheba is a decent food for a decent price, however it is generally a good idea to rotate a variety of brands and proteins so they don't become too fixated on one type. This comes in handy in case of a food recall or discontinuation, and also helps to prevent allergies. When my cats were little I also fed Nutro Natural choice kitten food, which is made by the same company as Sheba, but has even better ingredients than Sheba. Fancy feast (the classics pate varieties) are also reasonably priced but decent quality still if you're looking for some more variety.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great, thank you for the reply.

I know Sheba is a bit more pricey than other brands, but from what I can tell the ingredients are a bit better. That is why I was unsure if I should transition to a Friskies or keep her on Sehba
There is absolutely nothing wrong with keeping her on Sheba! Personally, I think it's better than Friskies but there's no reason you can't feed both... and other brands, too. Which is to say that I agree with tabbytom tabbytom and destinyz12 destinyz12 that it's good to give cats variety: we feed our cats lots of different foods, both because they get tired of getting the same food too often and because of the factors destinyz12 mentioned. The main thing I would watch out for is feeding a lot of fish, which can be highly addictive and have health ramifications, too.

Welcome to The Cat Site and have fun with Mia! It's great that you're feeding her wet food from the start.