It's A Beautiful Day! - The Positive Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
We discovered a new rescue group today that fosters all their animals. They have an adoption center that is only 30 minutes from our home. They have a wonderful group of volunteers who are both knowledgeable and compassionate. We were very impressed. :thumbsup:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm having a pretty relaxing weekend! It's nice to not have too much to do and just hang around.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Saw my first group of robins yesterday!I think it's a little early to be thinking spring yet...just my opinion for my little corner of the world.But..I could be wrong.I see that a few of my little goldfinch males are starting to turn their beautiful yellow...they have all been busy at the feeders and suet block.Maybe they all know something I don't....?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
A big drugstore chain opened a store in our town on Saturday - finally! -, which I checked out this morning. Look what I found:

IMG_20190226_102946.jpg

It's a tiny rake to clean brushes with and perfect for wire cat/dog brushes. Other people must have thought so, too, because I got the next-to-the-last one. I usually use my fingers and/or a fine-tooth comb, but this is quicker and easier.

Am I the only one who didn't know they exist?

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
After several weeks of below-average temperatures which was 40/50 we finally had a day where the gauge clawed itself up to 63. There had been no snow on Modjeska/Santiago Peak for over 3 years and we actually had 2 days of it a few days ago thanks to the storms and low temps.
P1010698.JPG
P1010699.JPG
It never lasts very long but considering that Modjeska is only 5499 feet with Santiago a few feet higher and this is SoCal, the land of palm trees and orange blossoms, it's a rarity. With global warming it's even rarer. When I moved here in 1970 there was snow on the mountain every year and farmers had to use "smudge pots" in the orange groves to keep them from freezing (smudge pots are now outlawed because they pollute and farmers use fans to keep the cold air moving and settling in low places). The Sierras are full of snow, the local skiers love it, many of them make it a weekend trip and some people take their kids to Mountain High to play in the snow for just one afternoon.
P1010696.JPG
yes, those are the Sierras, not clouds.
There was fog this morning but by 9 it had burnt off and the sun shone the rest of the day. But 63 is still not warm enough to just sit around in even with wool socks, leg warmers and 2 sweaters without cracking the heat just a bit. Kitties are crowding around the space heater or the electric fire place whichever one is on or cuddle on my bed which has a down comforter. These guys know where it's warm! That's why they sleep with me.
But with all this cold weather my flowers in the garden know that it's spring or close to it.
P1010686.JPG
P1010687.JPG
P1010688.JPG
The rest of the garden still has winter veggies in it (lettuce, red cabbage, Chinese cabbage, Swiss chard, green onions), raising some tomatoes, cukes and peppers in pots from seed ready to transplant from the patio but it's still too cold for those. Getting impatient.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
DH and I saw a movie that he really wanted to see but I wasn't looking forward to. As it turned out, I loved the movie and he thought it was just so-so. I'm glad I went after all. :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to buy gas this morning and picked up a very battered, slushy Starbucks card from the parking lot. Checked it’s balance when I got home and now I have $20 for Starbucks coffee!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Went to buy gas this morning and picked up a very battered, slushy Starbucks card from the parking lot. Checked it’s balance when I got home and now I have $20 for Starbucks coffee!
That would make my day too! :thumbsup:

It was supposed to snow later this afternoon but the forecast has changed, only flurries, so I'm looking forward to a snow free weekend.

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
More rain in the forecast for the next 3 days. That makes a beautiful day in SoCal which still does not have enough water to make up for the years of drought. Too bad that too much of it is still running into the Pacific because the plants are sucking it all up, the topsoil does too and there is too much water running on top straight to the ocean instead of sinking down into the aquifers which is where we really need it. But we are thankful for what we get to keep. We need more reservoirs/artificial lakes, get rid of cement driveways and parking lots, concrete linings of rivers which were put there for flood control and now haunt us, all of which could be made from more permeable substances so that the rain can sink in. But people resist change even when it is good for them and an alternate is available. The old "if it was good enough for Pappy it's good enough for me".

Status
Not open for further replies.