Introducing New Stray Cat To Bottle-raised Cat

bdub258

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Everyone!

This is my first post, although I have visited TheCatSite.com many times for advice! I currently have one cat named Bdub. He is 2 years old (wow! That flew by...) and is so adorable and loving. 2 years ago, my husband drove his truck into our driveway, stepped out and heard a little "meow". Just about 5 inches from his front wheel was a little kitten with his eyes still closed. The vet guestimated that he was about 4 days old when we found him. We took him in that night and I looked every day for his mom in our apartment complex but I never came across her or other kittens. In hindsight, I should have taken him to a foster organization where he could be raised by a foster cat mom until he was ready to come live with us, however, I was trying the best I could at that time, which meant caring for him on our own. I would get up every two hours to bottle feed him, make sure his heating pad was on and check that he was breathing (like every 5 minutes!). He is now a very healthy 2 year old little gray tabby and I love him to bits!

IYesterday, a coworker rescued a little 6 month old male cat. She took him to the vet and had him checked out. The vet put him on flea medication but said he will need to be brought back for vaccines and to be neutered. I talked with my partner and we have decided to open our home to him. I have already made an appointment with the vet, but I need some advice on how I should introduce him to my little Bdub.

These are my questions/concerns:
  • Bdub has met other cats (briefly) but did not grow up around cats (believe me, I wish I could turn back time). With that in mind, what would be the best way to introduce them? How long would you recommend?
  • Bdub is definitely a mama's boy. He is friendly with my partner (for the most part) but he definitely has a special connection with me. How do I make sure he is getting enough attention, as well as the new cat?
  • Is there anything else you would recommend given Bdub's unique upbringing and having another cat around? The good thing is that although Bdub did not grow up around cats, he is definitely more curious than scared. We have had to move 3 times within the last 5 months and have worked on some house renovation during that time so he has learned to adjust pretty well.
Sorry for the long post! Any advice is greatly appreciated. :)

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
graphics-hello-753330.gif
there to you and Bdub and new kitty and on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
graphics-welcome-621873.jpg
to all of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Thank you for taking Bdub in for giving him a warm and fur-ever loving home and is he a cutie!

You can start a new thread and post your questions here in cat-behavior.5 where more members frequent and those that have experience in that area may be able to help you answer your questions regarding your kitty.

Here are some articles for you to read :-

how-to-successfully-introduce-cats-the-ultimate-guide.32680
introducing-cats-to-cats.29726
how-to-introduce-a-kitten-to-an-older-cat.33911
how-to-fix-an-unsuccessful-cat-introduction.33882
how-to-deal-with-non-recognition-aggression-in-cats.33864
cats-and-discipline-dont-mix.29678New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
how-to-safely-break-up-a-cat-fight.22398

Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:
Bdub is adorable. Hopefully he will adjust well to being a big brother. :catlove:

tabbytom tabbytom posted the links to TCS articles that should help with your cat introductions, particularly How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

I also agree that posting a separate thread in our Cat Behavior will get different members reading it, and replying.

Good luck. Do posts pics of the kitten when you bring him home.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A very warm welcome to you BOTH (and soon to be "all three of you")! You've come to the right place with questions, and we're so very happy to welcome someone who went out of their way for a kitten who would surely have died without them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bdub258

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! :) We love him to pieces! We had a horrible scare over the weekend though. He received 2 vaccines on Friday morning. He was pretty lethargic that day (which I expected), however, near the end of Saturday he threw up 3 times, was shivering and super lethargic. I called our local animal emergency clinic and the on call vet said to give him a quarter Benadryl, as this could be an allergic reaction. Well...once I gave him the pill, he vomited and started foaming at the mouth.

I immediately took him in and the vet said good thing we did because his temperature was 105!!! Only 1 degree from organ failure :bawling: They gave him a solution to hydrate and cool him down, a Benadryl shot and some other shot. I took him back about 4 hours later (per vet's orders) and his temperature went back to normal.

I'm happy to report he is very healthy, hyper and fattening up! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bdub258

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I also want to report that I introduced Blue and Bdub fully two days ago and despite my fears...Bdub has accepted him!!! :lovecat:I think it's because Blue is such a friendly, easy going and chill cat. It's a perfect complement to Bdub's anxious personality. I think it helps that although Bdub is very anxious (and a little neurotic), he is also very curious.

I can't believe how lucky we are that they like each other. So happy seeing them play and sleep near-ish each other. :cutecat:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! That's a beautiful story about some cute kitties! Thanks for caring for that young kitten Bdub and it's so generous of you to take in Blue. May they reward you with love many times over!:redheartpump:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There may be lessons from the post-vaccination episode.....first is, perhaps, the question of whether/not to re-vaccinate him. Second, if he is to receive a further vaccination series, perhaps they should not be given together.

Let me be clear. This has nothing to do with an anti-vaccination agenda. It has everything to do with the avoidance of unnecessary over-vaccinating.

A very reputable Veterinarian provides a good (if a little lengthy) coverage of this topic here: Vaccines for Cats: We Need to Stop Overvaccinating - and, in there is this:
Previous vaccine reactions: All past vaccine reactions – no matter how minor – must be taken into consideration when making future vaccine decisions. Under most circumstances, I will not re-vaccinate a patient that has had an allergic reaction since the next time may bring on a more serious reaction.​
Dr. Pierson also speaks about avoiding any vaccine that contains an "adjuvant". This is an additive that's included to cause a stronger immune reaction, thereby ensuring that the immune system 'remembers' the pathogen in future. The problem with adjuvants is that they have been implicated in the formation of injection site sarcomas which are most often fatal. Her advice is to presume nothing and to ask specifically whether/not the vaccine products are "adjuvanted". There are alternative non-adjuvanted vaccines available.

Hope that helps.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
There may be lessons from the post-vaccination episode.....first is, perhaps, the question of whether/not to re-vaccinate him. Second, if he is to receive a further vaccination series, perhaps they should not be given together.

Let me be clear. This has nothing to do with an anti-vaccination agenda. It has everything to do with the avoidance of unnecessary over-vaccinating.

A very reputable Veterinarian provides a good (if a little lengthy) coverage of this topic here: Vaccines for Cats: We Need to Stop Overvaccinating - and, in there is this:
Previous vaccine reactions: All past vaccine reactions – no matter how minor – must be taken into consideration when making future vaccine decisions. Under most circumstances, I will not re-vaccinate a patient that has had an allergic reaction since the next time may bring on a more serious reaction.​
Dr. Pierson also speaks about avoiding any vaccine that contains an "adjuvant". This is an additive that's included to cause a stronger immune reaction, thereby ensuring that the immune system 'remembers' the pathogen in future. The problem with adjuvants is that they have been implicated in the formation of injection site sarcomas which are most often fatal. Her advice is to presume nothing and to ask specifically whether/not the vaccine products are "adjuvanted". There are alternative non-adjuvanted vaccines available.

Hope that helps.
I have had one vaccine in the last five years. My cats have had 8 to 10 each. Seems unbalanced. Though my vet did say that now that my cats are older, we can reduce frequency of vaccinations.