Introducing Betty White

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi
I meant to comment regarding the pre and probiotics, Poppycat doesn't have vet-diagnosed issues at this point, so I've obtained a product that's a little easier to work with. Hopefully his digestive system agrees with my choice, but we'll see.

Speaking of, although I think I read that you've moved forward with the egg yolk, I think the egg yolk is helping things here :)

I saw this post, and I think the issue is that the powder is superfine? Anyway I thought of you, if you haven't seen this already, where you might have had to deal with different consistencies of powders and accurately measuring them.
Phos-Bind for Feeby - questions
It's too soon to tell. A couple of times I thought her eating may be slowing and a pre-emptive EYL dose may be called for. But she rallied and proved me wrong.

Plus there's still a lot of moving parts around here.

When speaking with the vet the other week, I learned I was over-medicating her with the famotidine. It is 5 mg once a day or 2.5 mg twice a day. Since we saw earlier this week what happens when she misses a dose, I am striving for the 2.5 twice a day. It's not easy cutting those pills into 8ths.

We discontinued the Vitality Science Pet Flora and Feline Comfort since these would compete with the AnimalBiome FMT pills--which I'm pleased to say she has been taking her poop pill in the mornings without any lick and flick issues.

We started the FMT pills.

I adjusted her A/D to I/D mix to a leaner mix (instead of 3:1, we're closer to 2:1 now.) This should translate to less fat in her diet and less fat to bind with the hair.

And finally, like Feeby's owner, I nerded out on powder to spoon conversions. I emptied out an EYL capsule to determine which spoon would represent what volume. 1/8 tsp = 1/4 capsule. Recommended dose is 1/2 capsule (or more.) She'll get another 1/4 capsule Saturday overnight/early Sunday morning. I may just leave it at 1/4 capsule twice a week. Unless she has another hairball...

Summer must be coming. She's shedding a lot more. Good thing she loves brushing.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's too soon to tell. A couple of times I thought her eating may be slowing and a pre-emptive EYL dose may be called for. But she rallied and proved me wrong.

Plus there's still a lot of moving parts around here.

When speaking with the vet the other week, I learned I was over-medicating her with the famotidine. It is 5 mg once a day or 2.5 mg twice a day. Since we saw earlier this week what happens when she misses a dose, I am striving for the 2.5 twice a day. It's not easy cutting those pills into 8ths.

We discontinued the Vitality Science Pet Flora and Feline Comfort since these would compete with the AnimalBiome FMT pills--which I'm pleased to say she has been taking her poop pill in the mornings without any lick and flick issues.

We started the FMT pills.

I adjusted her A/D to I/D mix to a leaner mix (instead of 3:1, we're closer to 2:1 now.) This should translate to less fat in her diet and less fat to bind with the hair.

And finally, like Feeby's owner, I nerded out on powder to spoon conversions. I emptied out an EYL capsule to determine which spoon would represent what volume. 1/8 tsp = 1/4 capsule. Recommended dose is 1/2 capsule (or more.) She'll get another 1/4 capsule Saturday overnight/early Sunday morning. I may just leave it at 1/4 capsule twice a week. Unless she has another hairball...

Summer must be coming. She's shedding a lot more. Good thing she loves brushing.
Yup. Elvis is leaving his "furzles" around the house. Brushing more is definitely indicated. Baby Su doesn't shed as much, and loves brushing as many times as I offer it, so there's no problem there. But Elvis is like Betty, shorthaired but floofy. He has a thick cottony undercoat.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As stressful as it has been tracking down Betty’s food, there are still more VCAs in the local area than there are Rawz resellers. I just spent the last hour calling around and driving around and finally picking up another case each of her food. I think I’m in hoarder mode on the I/D now and I’m probably a trip through Chewy away from becoming an A/D hoarder too.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As stressful as it has been tracking down Betty’s food, there are still more VCAs in the local area than there are Rawz resellers. I just spent the last hour calling around and driving around and finally picking up another case each of her food. I think I’m in hoarder mode on the I/D now and I’m probably a trip through Chewy away from becoming an A/D hoarder too.
We gotta do what we gotta do. Thinking that there must be a significant market for those foods. And wondering why so many things like this, that should be so easy ("Let me give you money!") aren't. *Yeah, I know. I've heard the reasons. Rhetorical, and frustrated.*

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We gotta do what we gotta do. Thinking that there must be a significant market for those foods. And wondering why so many things like this, that should be so easy ("Let me give you money!") aren't. *Yeah, I know. I've heard the reasons. Rhetorical, and frustrated.*
So the A/D is not officially on back order. I think any of these VCAs or their home delivery store can order cases for me. It would appear though that cases are not sold as often as individual cans. It’s meant to be a short term food. But gosh. This works for Betty and it’s mixed with the I/D and I just don’t want to touch anything with her food until after we get some answers. I’m still going to order an extra case or two of the A/D. I’d rather have too much than the alternative.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So the A/D is not officially on back order. I think any of these VCAs or their home delivery store can order cases for me. It would appear though that cases are not sold as often as individual cans. It’s meant to be a short term food. But gosh. This works for Betty and it’s mixed with the I/D and I just don’t want to touch anything with her food until after we get some answers. I’m still going to order an extra case or two of the A/D. I’d rather have too much than the alternative.
Liking the way you think. When it comes to our loved ones, we need to be sure they have enough. And then some.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, (--I'm almost a cat food hoarder as well) ...with a certain amount of trepidation on my part (for some reason this seems awfully scienc-ey to me as compared to say, milk thistle for his liver, a few drops of fish oil for his coat or even the egg yolk), the big fuzzy house king got his first pre and pro biotic today. A very small amount. So far so good 👍

Speaking of the egg yolk, he ate a long piece of grass during his supervised outing earlier today and that always gets tossed right back out, so since he's still eating grass I'm assuming he's still having tummy upset, but he's definitely becoming less gassy.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, (--I'm almost a cat food hoarder as well) ...with a certain amount of trepidation on my part (for some reason this seems awfully scienc-ey to me as compared to say, milk thistle for his liver, a few drops of fish oil for his coat or even the egg yolk), the big fuzzy house king got his first pre and pro biotic today. A very small amount. So far so good 👍

Speaking of the egg yolk, he ate a long piece of grass during his supervised outing earlier today and that always gets tossed right back out, so since he's still eating grass I'm assuming he's still having tummy upset, but he's definitely becoming less gassy.
It’s my belief that a lot of pica (eg eating grass or cat tree fibers) is based in nausea. And that a lot of nausea can be greatly improved or eliminated with a healthy gut. I have seen what a quality probiotic has done for Krista and Betty. Even more than the infrequent conservative EYL doses or the extra brushing, I think the FMT pills have been helping with her hairballs and her nausea. I think some of the food hacking has also been helping. I think we’re both feeling a lot better eliminating second breakfast. But anyway. I think probiotic will be the easiest lift for your guy and the most bang for your buck. Which pre/probiotics are you starting him on?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's Fera Pet Organics. Since Poppycat invariably needs a smaller dose than is recommended, I figured I'd be better off with a product that's both the pre and pro together (less fiddly figuring/measuring). Hopefully his system agrees :)!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Betty is sitting in my lap while we watch Strange New Worlds. And I think she’s either lazy with her booty duty or she’s gassy tonight. 🙊 Here’s hoping her EYL bump tonight clears her out 🤞before her next hairball does that the wrong way.🤦🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well shoot! I don’t know if she rejected overnight because of the EYL in it or because she really needs the EYL to get hair moving again. I suppose we’ll find out soon enough. 🤦🏼‍♂️😔

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:gaah:
She opened at least one and probably both poop pills I tried to dose her with this morning. It may have set her off this food? For only a moment I hope. I basically fed her breakfast as individual components. I had her eat about ten grams of the A/D by itself and another 10 grams or so of I/D by itself. No interest in her usual mix after the failed pilling. 🤦🏼‍♂️At least she got her meds this morning. I’m going to treat EYL last night and FMT this morning as missed doses and not going to retry until next scheduled dose. Good luck, Betty. 🤞