Introducing Betty White

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi

Hey, I have a couple questions. You'd commented that you're using a probiotic that has soil based bacteria, since cats don't do well with dairy.

But, isn't that because of the lactose (milk sugar) in dairy products, which wouldn't be a factor in a probiotic?

Also, I was wondering if you're using a prebiotic?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi

Hey, I have a couple questions. You'd commented that you're using a probiotic that has soil based bacteria, since cats don't do well with dairy.

But, isn't that because of the lactose (milk sugar) in dairy products, which wouldn't be a factor in a probiotic?

Also, I was wondering if you're using a prebiotic?
This is the probiotic I use and they don’t say much about why dairy-cultured probiotics can be troublesome. 😔
Pet Flora | Cat Probiotics - Vitality Science

But since starting the AnimalBiome FMT pills (“poop pills”), I’ve discontinued the other probiotic. The FMT is a better product and the other one would simply be redundant and competitive.

For prebiotic, I use Optagest which is primarily digestive enzymes. But it also includes inulin, a prebiotic fiber.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Betty White's gut microbiome sample has arrived at our laboratory, and is on its way through the analysis process. It usually takes about 2-3 weeks for results to become available. As soon as the results are ready, we will send an email letting you know."

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First breakfast complete and she's halfway through daytime portion.

Another FMT poop. Looks great. Smells, well, it's cat poop. It won't ever win awards. But I think it's smelling better...? 🤷‍♂️

"Are you gassy or am I smelling your butt? Did you do your booty duty?"

Turns out my Litter Genie had a malfunction. Okay. A user error. 🙄

When I scooped in the middle of the night last night, I ignored that it was basically at the end of its bag. I thought it could manage this time, and that was a problem that could wait for morning. Then I went back to bed and promptly forgot about it. 🤦‍♂️

Luckily, we didn't get very far into this bag before it ran out and dumped all its contents into the naked base of the Genie. A couple pee balls and an FMT poop. Luckily her poops are perfect and a simple wet wipe was sufficient after emptying the base.

I look forward to more FMT poops perhaps more than anyone should be looking forward to cat poop.
:poop::yess:💩:petcat:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First breakfast complete and she's halfway through daytime portion.

Another FMT poop. Looks great. Smells, well, it's cat poop. It won't ever win awards. But I think it's smelling better...? 🤷‍♂️

"Are you gassy or am I smelling your butt? Did you do your booty duty?"

Turns out my Litter Genie had a malfunction. Okay. A user error. 🙄

When I scooped in the middle of the night last night, I ignored that it was basically at the end of its bag. I thought it could manage this time, and that was a problem that could wait for morning. Then I went back to bed and promptly forgot about it. 🤦‍♂️

Luckily, we didn't get very far into this bag before it ran out and dumped all its contents into the naked base of the Genie. A couple pee balls and an FMT poop. Luckily her poops are perfect and a simple wet wipe was sufficient after emptying the base.

I look forward to more FMT poops perhaps more than anyone should be looking forward to cat poop.
It's okay, daftcat75 daftcat75 -- I understand. :insertevillaugh: :crackup:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doh!

Spilled dinner into the floof poof. 🙀

The floof poof is stoofed with doof.

(doof = “food” backwards, because my plate fell backwards into the poof)

Thankfully Betty was not in the poof at the time. I’ve spilled coffee on her hundreds of times in my nightmares. But I never envisioned a plate of food falling on her

Not wanting to recook dinner, I simply reclaimed as much as I could and put it back on my plate. I’ll let you know how difficult it is to pass ingested cat hair. 🤦🏼‍♂️😹

Poof is being washed. Floof is sleeping on an alternate poof (her corner cloud.)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She stole my seat while I was brushing my teeth. I stole her poof. Fair is fair. If that ottoman would support me (it won’t!), I might try to steal her corner cloud just to see her reaction. 😾😹
BA8874E5-932D-4E19-85BF-2B7C0E341905.jpeg

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm fairly certain that ALL us cat people...look forward to 'good poops'...from our cats.

So looking forward to more FMT poops...is kind of exciting, too, since it's not your 'everyday sort of cat poop'...or is it. :agree: 🔬💩
The whole point of it, sounds like it's supposed to 'seed good poop' samples...so 'here's to the poop'. 🥂
Never thought I'd say that. 🤭 😸
Not wanting to recook dinner, I simply reclaimed as much as I could and put it back on my plate. I’ll let you know how difficult it is to pass ingested cat hair. 🤦🏼‍♂️😹

Poof is being washed. Floof is sleeping on an alternate poof (her corner cloud.)
:crackup: "I’ll let you know how difficult it is to pass ingested cat hair. 🤦🏼‍♂️😹 "

I'm not sure I want to know...how difficult it is to pass ingested cat hair.. for a human. :spew:
I much rather know about the FMT poops, for Betty.
But...since you seem to not have much choice in the matter, then I wish you 'godspeed, or fur-speed, poop-speed'..however the saying goes...for well wishes. 😺

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty sure most, if not all, of us have ingested a small kitten's worth of floof, at very least! :lolup: There are the mugs and T-shirts attesting to that fact.
My roomie sometimes comes in and perches on the edge of the bed and we have lunch together. She's notoriously clumsy (I say that as a notoriously clumsy person myself! She's far worse...) and sometimes I have to ask her to pick stuff up. But an entire plateful? No, and I hope that never happens. I always bring my food in on a trap and my tea or coffee goes on the nightstand where it's stable. Sadly, there's hardly ever anything Baby Su or Elvis would be interested in, though she likes to check.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pretty sure most, if not all, of us have ingested a small kitten's worth of floof, at very least! :lolup: There are the mugs and T-shirts attesting to that fact.
My roomie sometimes comes in and perches on the edge of the bed and we have lunch together. She's notoriously clumsy (I say that as a notoriously clumsy person myself! She's far worse...) and sometimes I have to ask her to pick stuff up. But an entire plateful? No, and I hope that never happens. I always bring my food in on a trap and my tea or coffee goes on the nightstand where it's stable. Sadly, there's hardly ever anything Baby Su or Elvis would be interested in, though she likes to check.
96A0D0E0-2A1C-4B7F-8BCE-B990C7BF6908.jpeg
Another picture of my dining nook. An entire dining table is wasted on me. I usually eat from a bowl rather than a plate. If I am eating something that requires a plate, a surface, or more moving parts than a bowl and a fork (sushi, chips and salsa, etc), I do have a TV tray. I wanted to offer Betty a spot next to my recliner before she became a lap cat (and even now, it’s nice to offer her the poof when I have to dump the floof from my lap.) Beyond the floof is my tower that has a hot plate for my coffee cup and an extra shelf (Katris L piece) for setting down my bowl when I need to free my hands or lap. I have to say that in the several years since I’ve been eating from this chair, this may have been the first time I tumbled an entire plate. The only improvement I might make to this setup is a food hoood to protect the floof in the poof.

Last nights poop was a touch bigger, a touch softer, and a touch smellier as I expected from an EYL poop. But not nearly as disastrous as when I’ve tried to give Betty or Krista egg yolk powder. I probably wouldn’t have noticed the difference if I wasn’t on alert for these FMT pills. I tried to pick through it to see how much hair might have been passed. But poop investigations are always a struggle between scientific/medical curiosity and revulsion. The latter always seems to win out. 🤦🏼‍♂️😔

Floof is motoring through her food and making certain she shares a smear or three with me. 🍔😽 Yesterday was 196 calories. 🐷🐷👍

She ate about half of breakfast with her pills this morning. Then we napped for an hour. Half of that we spent together and the other she spent on her cloud. When I got up to make my breakfast, she eventually stirred and came to the kitchen yelling at me. “Did you miss that plate of food you passed on the way to the kitchen?” I led her back to the plate. Sniff. Not interested. Carpet morsel? Don’t mind if I do! I got her to finish all but a few grams of first breakfast. I left a few grams so that when she wakes from her big morning nap (about 9am to noon), and comes to see in me in the office, I’ll know she finished the plate because she’ll be licking her lips with satisfaction (rather than hunger of nausea.) 😋

Betty hacking. 🧐😼

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 419270
Another picture of my dining nook. An entire dining table is wasted on me. I usually eat from a bowl rather than a plate. If I am eating something that requires a plate, a surface, or more moving parts than a bowl and a fork (sushi, chips and salsa, etc), I do have a TV tray. I wanted to offer Betty a spot next to my recliner before she became a lap cat (and even now, it’s nice to offer her the poof when I have to dump the floof from my lap.) Beyond the floof is my tower that has a hot plate for my coffee cup and an extra shelf (Katris L piece) for setting down my bowl when I need to free my hands or lap. I have to say that in the several years since I’ve been eating from this chair, this may have been the first time I tumbled an entire plate. The only improvement I might make to this setup is a food hoood to protect the floof in the poof.

Last nights poop was a touch bigger, a touch softer, and a touch smellier as I expected from an EYL poop. But not nearly as disastrous as when I’ve tried to give Betty or Krista egg yolk powder. I probably wouldn’t have noticed the difference if I wasn’t on alert for these FMT pills. I tried to pick through it to see how much hair might have been passed. But poop investigations are always a struggle between scientific/medical curiosity and revulsion. The latter always seems to win out. 🤦🏼‍♂️😔

Floof is motoring through her food and making certain she shares a smear or three with me. 🍔😽 Yesterday was 196 calories. 🐷🐷👍

She ate about half of breakfast with her pills this morning. Then we napped for an hour. Half of that we spent together and the other she spent on her cloud. When I got up to make my breakfast, she eventually stirred and came to the kitchen yelling at me. “Did you miss that plate of food you passed on the way to the kitchen?” I led her back to the plate. Sniff. Not interested. Carpet morsel? Don’t mind if I do! I got her to finish all but a few grams of first breakfast. I left a few grams so that when she wakes from her big morning nap (about 9am to noon), and comes to see in me in the office, I’ll know she finished the plate because she’ll be licking her lips with satisfaction (rather than hunger of nausea.) 😋

Betty hacking. 🧐😼
The floof to the poof! Getting to be a substantial floof with that good food! What a living room lion Betty is. What a predator, eating off the savannah floor!
Yeah, the food-and-drink balancing act can be tricky.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
75EDD6E6-F44A-4DE5-9AEA-22B8DBD124E5.jpeg
Shortly after this photo, I had to dump her off me so I could pee and brush my teeth. I got a crotch kick on her way out of my lap. “I deserved that.” 😾 She missed the painful bits. Just a funny exchange we shared.

Just as I leave the room, Betty climbed back into the chair and that’s where she’s going to camp out until I’m done with my nighttime routine and start fixing her second dinner.

She’s doing great on meals. She had an FMT poop in the afternoon. It looked and smelled like healing. 🤞😺

She’s on pace for 195 calories. 🐷🐷👍

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s eating a little lighter on the A/D. Since I’m not using it to mix anything, I started plating a tiny portion but keeping it on reserve. She takes her meds and then eats as much of the mix meal (AD/ID mix) as she’s going to eat. It’s at this point that I deposit that tiny treat portion on her plate to see if I can get a few more calories in her and spur new eating. Yesterday, she sniffed the pure A/D then continued to eat the mix. This morning she ate about half of it. Aside from a few grams on last night’s day portion (3 grams) and a quarter ounce (7 grams) 🙀 on the overnight, her eating hasn’t slowed much. She still turned in a 189 calorie day. 🐷👍

This morning, she ate half of breakfast. Then after a nap together and a nap apart, she stirred again while I was cooking breakfast. Alright, let’s finish up your breakfast. I led her back to her plate and fed her the remainder minus a couple grams off the carpet. Those couple grams will be her feed me indicator later this morning when she wakes from her morning nap and comes visit me in the office with satisfying mouth cleaning licks. 😋

Self five 🤜✋😹
8883C572-550D-4DC0-8C3C-AC01D30445AF.jpeg 1F133E34-7BD5-4899-813F-1D3FC3AB0DAF.jpeg

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s eating a little lighter on the A/D. Since I’m not using it to mix anything, I started plating a tiny portion but keeping it on reserve. She takes her meds and then eats as much of the mix meal (AD/ID mix) as she’s going to eat. It’s at this point that I deposit that tiny treat portion on her plate to see if I can get a few more calories in her and spur new eating. Yesterday, she sniffed the pure A/D then continued to eat the mix. This morning she ate about half of it. Aside from a few grams on last night’s day portion (3 grams) and a quarter ounce (7 grams) 🙀 on the overnight, her eating hasn’t slowed much. She still turned in a 189 calorie day. 🐷👍

This morning, she ate half of breakfast. Then after a nap together and a nap apart, she stirred again while I was cooking breakfast. Alright, let’s finish up your breakfast. I led her back to her plate and fed her the remainder minus a couple grams off the carpet. Those couple grams will be her feed me indicator later this morning when she wakes from her morning nap and comes visit me in the office with satisfying mouth cleaning licks. 😋

Self five 🤜✋😹
View attachment 419356View attachment 419364
*Self five!* :yess:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
I meant to comment regarding the pre and probiotics, Poppycat doesn't have vet-diagnosed issues at this point, so I've obtained a product that's a little easier to work with. Hopefully his digestive system agrees with my choice, but we'll see.

Speaking of, although I think I read that you've moved forward with the egg yolk, I think the egg yolk is helping things here :)

I saw this post, and I think the issue is that the powder is superfine? Anyway I thought of you, if you haven't seen this already, where you might have had to deal with different consistencies of powders and accurately measuring them.
Phos-Bind for Feeby - questions