Phos-Bind for Feeby - questions

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The bottle of Phos-Bind (Rx Vitamins for Pets - 35 mg powder) states that their scoop is 1/4 tsp and equates it to 250 mg. There isn't an ingredient out there on the internet measuring tables that correlates 1/4 tsp to 250 mg, so I am assuming due to the consistency of this powder, I need to trust what the bottle says????? What do you all do about measuring varying powder consistencies?

I used a 'regular' 1/4 tsp measuring spoon and it does hold the same amount as the P-B scoop. I also took my tiny measuring spoons (ones that were listed on Tanya's web site) and the spoon labeled as a 'Tad' which is supposed to be 1/4 tsp is a very slight bit more - very slight. The spoon labeled 'Dash' which is supposed to be 1/8 tsp also comes out at a very slight bit more when pouring 2 of them into the P-B scoop.

If I understand Tanya's web site/IRIS recommendations correctly, with a phos level of 6.0 & creatinine of 3.0, Feeby would have a dose of 14-28 mg per pound of body weight. At Feeby's weight (I rounded down to an even 11 pounds) that would mean 154 - 308 mg. I still want to start even lower than that so, would 1/8 tsp being equal to just slightly over 125 mg be a good place to start? This is also being somewhat driven by the fact that Tanya's web site indicates this product's scoop contains 'approximately' 250-320 mg. I have no idea why the variance. Perhaps, the powder consistency can vary from batch to batch?

The lower amount is also as a precaution because the vet she said would re-check Feeby's phos level only when/if I have managed to keep Feeby on a phos binder continually for 30 days. I suppose I could 'fib' to her about the timeline but would prefer to be as honest as possible with her.

I am sure I am making this more complicated that it needs to be, but this will be my first time giving her something in a form that does not have an equivalent listing on the internet. I also posted on the CKD forum, but oddly enough for as much as they recommend Phos-Bind no one has come along to offer their input.

(P.S. I am aware to be prepared to give her MIralax since these types of products can cause constipation!)

Thanks.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No experience with that product specifically. But I am assuming when P-B says 1/4 tsp = 250 mg, they are using an average value to account for differences in powder consistency. I would say you are overthinking this. But I would do the same.

I don't think there is a cheap scale out there that would let you weigh out 250 mg with any high degree of accuracy. My food scale has one or two significant figures (numbers on the other side of the decimal.) But I still wouldn't trust it for weights that small.

So you have the spoons. Let's just assume the following:

1 tad = 250 mg
1 dash = 125 mg
1 pinch = 62 mg
1 smidgen = 31 mg

If you really wanted to hit the low end of Feeby's range, you could use a smidgen plus a dash. You could hit other values using different combinations of the spoons.