Introducing Betty White

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That face just says: “I know I have found a good human at last!”
She’s such a love bug. I have to think she had good humans before. It’s just so sad that such a wonderful cat was surrendered because they couldn’t pay vet bills. While she’s sleeping next to me, I’m looking at my books to see how I am going to pay off her first vet bills before insurance kicks in. I don’t know if they’ll pay for the teeth cleaning. 😔 She’s in no danger of being surrendered. I have more than enough cash flow to cover the bills. I am simply looking for extra places to cut to also meet savings goals this year.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s such a love bug. I have to think she had good humans before. It’s just so sad that such a wonderful cat was surrendered because they couldn’t pay vet bills. While she’s sleeping next to me, I’m looking at my books to see how I am going to pay off her first vet bills before insurance kicks in. I don’t know if they’ll pay for the teeth cleaning. 😔 She’s in no danger of being surrendered. I have more than enough cash flow to cover the bills. I am simply looking for extra places to cut to also meet savings goals this year.
Hey, that can't hurt! I keep such a tight rein on my finances and just finished doing a to-the-penny assessment of my expenditures for last year. I couldn't believe how well we did! I'm continually fretting over finances, being how I am, so it's a big relief. And I'm always looking for ways to save -- pennies to dollars, because pennies add up to dollars! It probably doesn't work with insurance, though I wouldn't be above trying, but I come from a long line of dikkerers and I've found that some actually love my wanting to make deals for things. Two locations ago, I walked into the cat supply place I was going to do business with, and right out the gate, told the manager that I was going to be spending "a lot of money" with his business and what could he do for me? Not only did he make it worth my while financially, he also gave me little gifts almost every time I went there. Business and pleasure for me are two separate things, but sometimes business can BE a pleasure. ;):yess:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, that can't hurt! I keep such a tight rein on my finances and just finished doing a to-the-penny assessment of my expenditures for last year. I couldn't believe how well we did! I'm continually fretting over finances, being how I am, so it's a big relief. And I'm always looking for ways to save -- pennies to dollars, because pennies add up to dollars! It probably doesn't work with insurance, though I wouldn't be above trying, but I come from a long line of dikkerers and I've found that some actually love my wanting to make deals for things. Two locations ago, I walked into the cat supply place I was going to do business with, and right out the gate, told the manager that I was going to be spending "a lot of money" with his business and what could he do for me? Not only did he make it worth my while financially, he also gave me little gifts almost every time I went there. Business and pleasure for me are two separate things, but sometimes business can BE a pleasure. ;):yess:
I am very fortunate in that my income is more than enough for my expenses, and I have resisted lifestyle inflation (for the most part) along the way. I set a savings goal, and allow myself to enjoy the rest as I see fit. I don’t want to sacrifice current happiness trying to save too aggressively. Instead, I’d rather build a sustainable habit of savings that I can improve upon slowly. If I save too aggressively, I find myself relying on credit too heavily for the unexpected or the occasional treat-myself moments. This year my savings goal is to meet last year’s goal with the addition to the furmily and the unexpected expenses that came with her. I expected food and insurance premiums. I did not expect a second pet deposit or a dental visit for her so soon. I have some embarrassingly generous budget items. But as long as I’m meeting my savings goals, the rest is mine. This morning’s exercise was simply figuring out where to tighten up for a few paychecks to keep paying myself first and enjoying the remainder. I could do FIRE (Financial Independence Retire Early.) But that kind of frugality doesn’t appeal to me. The trouble with FIRE is that even after you retire early, you are still living the frugal life. That doesn’t sound appealing to me. I would rather save at a lower rate but enjoy both today and tomorrow even if it means I have to work longer. Honestly, the pandemic has hit a much needed reset switch on my work-life balance. It’s probably added a few years to how much longer I can keep doing this. It has certainly added a few years to my car’s life. I just wish the life side of that work-life equation didn’t have such an existential threat associated with it today. And on the other paw, it’s going to be a sad day for both me and Betty when I finally return to the office. Thankfully, I’m living and working in what may be one of the strictest “follow the numbers” counties in the country, and I’m perfectly okay with that. And my employer may be one of the most progressive and flexible ones too. If four day work-week ever makes it here in earnest, I would expect my employer to be one of the first to give it a try.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very fortunate in that my income is more than enough for my expenses, and I have resisted lifestyle inflation (for the most part) along the way. I set a savings goal, and allow myself to enjoy the rest as I see fit. I don’t want to sacrifice current happiness trying to save too aggressively. Instead, I’d rather build a sustainable habit of savings that I can improve upon slowly. If I save too aggressively, I find myself relying on credit too heavily for the unexpected or the occasional treat-myself moments. This year my savings goal is to meet last year’s goal with the addition to the furmily and the unexpected expenses that came with her. I expected food and insurance premiums. I did not expect a second pet deposit or a dental visit for her so soon. I have some embarrassingly generous budget items. But as long as I’m meeting my savings goals, the rest is mine. This morning’s exercise was simply figuring out where to tighten up for a few paychecks to keep paying myself first and enjoying the remainder. I could do FIRE (Financial Independence Retire Early.) But that kind of frugality doesn’t appeal to me. The trouble with FIRE is that even after you retire early, you are still living the frugal life. That doesn’t sound appealing to me. I would rather save at a lower rate but enjoy both today and tomorrow even if it means I have to work longer. Honestly, the pandemic has hit a much needed reset switch on my work-life balance. It’s probably added a few years to how much longer I can keep doing this. It has certainly added a few years to my car’s life. I just wish the life side of that work-life equation didn’t have such an existential threat associated with it today. And on the other paw, it’s going to be a sad day for both me and Betty when I finally return to the office. Thankfully, I’m living and working in what may be one of the strictest “follow the numbers” counties in the country, and I’m perfectly okay with that. And my employer may be one of the most progressive and flexible ones too. If four day work-week ever makes it here in earnest, I would expect my employer to be one of the first to give it a try.
It all sounds good! And no matter what shape the future takes, which is great. I micromanage everything (I would, wouldn't I?) and I'm good with frugal, because I've done a lot of things the opposite of frugal and they don't hold any allure for me now. Been there. Done that. Even in my own frugal economy, I allow myself a little leeway a few times a year. That's why I'm surprised at how well I did last year on expenses. I'd do a few things differently if I could, but the fact that I can't doesn't really have a lot of negative impact on my life. For me, the fact that I've worked at/from home and will continue to do so is a huge Plus. Being in my home, with my cats and my roomies, being able to do things the way I want -- I can't really put a price on that, but if I did, it'd be huge.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She finally let me up. And I feel like a turtle stuck on my back. Tweaked it yesterday. It only hurts when I move. 🤦🏼‍♂️ Or sit up. Couldn’t even sit up to see if Betty finally got up herself to eat. And then I remembered I have the Food camera. 😹
E55924C6-98A1-4713-9B41-C684943D9A9D.jpeg

I feel like I’m being lapped by a cat in productivity today. She’s already had second meal and working on a bath. 🤦🏼‍♂️😹

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Obviously you can’t move to get it, but, I find Tiger Balm really helps. 🐅

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Obviously you can’t move to get it, but, I find Tiger Balm really helps. 🐅
Mid back. Where I can’t reach. 🤦🏼‍♂️ I have an Icy Hot roll on stick. It’s about the only thing that can reach. When I finally get up today, I’ll look for one of those athletic back scratchers. I’m sure they are for rolling out muscle knots and probably the thing I should have been using to avoid this in the first place. 🤦🏼‍♂️ But today, it’s a topical applicator. 😹

Or I’ll just get a patch and be done with it. 🧐👍

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mid back. Where I can’t reach. 🤦🏼‍♂️ I have an Icy Hot roll on stick. It’s about the only thing that can reach. When I finally get up today, I’ll look for one of those athletic back scratchers. I’m sure they are for rolling out muscle knots and probably the thing I should have been using to avoid this in the first place. 🤦🏼‍♂️ But today, it’s a topical applicator. 😹

Or I’ll just get a patch and be done with it. 🧐👍
Hope you feel a lot better soon! My chiro says never use dry heat (i.e., heating pad) on back. I have one of those sock things that has rice inside. You nuke it for 2 min. max and apply. It's wonderful.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope you feel a lot better soon! My chiro says never use dry heat (i.e., heating pad) on back. I have one of those sock things that has rice inside. You nuke it for 2 min. max and apply. It's wonderful.
I’ve been icing. I heard not to heat in the first couple days. If it’s still tight after 72 hours, then I can alternate ice and heat.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My chiro recommends wrapping a bag of frozen peas in a towel. You can put that back in the freezer. Don't eat them, however. Save them for therapy.
I have plenty of ice packs. They are the blue gel packs that can also go into the microwave when I’m ready to alternate. I’m sadly a seasoned pro at this. 🤦🏼‍♂️😔

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have plenty of ice packs. They are the blue gel packs that can also go into the microwave when I’m ready to alternate. I’m sadly a seasoned pro at this. 🤦🏼‍♂️😔
Well, but it's good you know how best to deal with it. I was born with a tipped vertebra that never bothered me until it did, so yeah, another seasoned pro.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That moment when she hears her morning snuggles will be cut short by a vet visit.
ADF28D56-05ED-47F8-AF01-82BFED02510A.jpeg 8676CBE3-26AF-4BFC-A17A-0C1C1ABB5AE2.jpeg F5F83FCF-FAA5-4D46-962D-F09A833F576A.jpeg
I don’t feel much like looking at you anymore. 😾🤦🏼‍♂️ I keep telling her she’ll hate the drive more than the visit. Her vet is farther than any of Krista’s (but her vet doesn’t put me on hold every time with weeks worth of lead time for basic exams!) She doesn’t like freeway driving. It will be about 15-20 minutes via surface streets. I set an alarm. We have 30 minutes of snuggles left before I have to get ready. 🧐⏰😻

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That moment when she hears her morning snuggles will be cut short by a vet visit.
View attachment 411594View attachment 411595View attachment 411596
I don’t feel much like looking at you anymore. 😾🤦🏼‍♂️ I keep telling her she’ll hate the drive more than the visit. Her vet is farther than any of Krista’s (but her vet doesn’t put me on hold every time with weeks worth of lead time for basic exams!) She doesn’t like freeway driving. It will be about 15-20 minutes via surface streets. I set an alarm. We have 30 minutes of snuggles left before I have to get ready. 🧐⏰😻
Well, I ask you: how would YOU feel? :angrycat:
Seriously, sounds like she's got a good vet. Safe journeys and good checkup (with treats on the other end!)🍗🥩🍖🧀🥚🍤🍣🍥