Introducing Betty White

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
X-rays are negative for foreign bodies. The intestines showed a sub-pathological dilation like with excess fluids or gas. But no evidence of obstruction. No need for ultrasound or surgery. She’s getting tummy meds and fluids and I’ve been told to withhold food for eight hours. Since she doesn’t eat when I put down food, I’ll probably shorten that to four hours and put down a quarter ounce. If she eats it and keeps it down, she can get more in a few hours after that. I don’t want to time shift this wait and see into the overnight. Also I hate withholding food from cats. Especially nibblers.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
X-rays are negative for foreign bodies. The intestines showed a sub-pathological dilation like with excess fluids or gas. But no evidence of obstruction. No need for ultrasound or surgery. She’s getting tummy meds and fluids and I’ve been told to withhold food for eight hours. Since she doesn’t eat when I put down food, I’ll probably shorten that to four hours and put down a quarter ounce. If she eats it and keeps it down, she can get more in a few hours after that. I don’t want to time shift this wait and see into the overnight. Also I hate withholding food from cats. Especially nibblers.
Hoping and praying all is well and that she can return home with a clean bill of health (and favorite food to look forward to!).

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hoping and praying all is well and that she can return home with a clean bill of health (and favorite food to look forward to!).
Im being told to withhold food for eight hours and start her on the bland diet until she can show she will keep it down. Except I don’t think she’ll eat the bland diet. I’ll withhold for four hours and plate a half ounce of wet food only. Hold on. Withholding food eight hours from her last vomiting (four hours ago) puts us right at the four hours that I want to withhold.

It’s a good thing she’s an only cat. She came home smelling like they wrapped her in fabric softener sheets. 🙊🤦🏼‍♂️ It’s a good thing she likes a good nuzzle from me. I’ll help her smell like an animal again. 😹

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is nuzzling everything and everyone (which is only me.) “Get this scent off of me!” 😾

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, what a relief.
Glad everything turned out well.

I don't know why our cats decide to eat things they are not supposed to?
Yet they turn up their noses and shake their paws at wet cat food that they don't like. smh.

Somehow I think our cats like to sometimes keep us 'up to date' in thinking about when emergencies occur, ...how we should remain calm, have everything ready, and tackle the problems...like a pro.
Yeah, sure, it's always good to be semi-prepared and vigilant...but come on, cats...do us humans really need the added stress.
Maybe our cats watch us...watching television...and think...:"hmm...how can I get my human to move about more?":crazy:

This is a bit off topic from the 'cat proofing'...'Betty-proofing' topic...
but...does catnip cause cats to get more of the munchies.?..(like some people tell me they get after using some weed)
(I've never really looked into that with cats)
I use catnip to introduce new toys, or cat groomer arch to my cats,...but never thought about it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m super impressed with this other ER. It’s baffling that they are literally next door (perhaps share a wall or two) and while ER A was only just calling to see if I was still in the parking lot, ER B had already seen her and given a treatment plan, an estimate, and started working through it in the same time. I’m convinced that I would still be waiting in ER A’s lot right now had I not gone next door. And ER B techs and doctors were a pleasure to talk to and work with. So if anything good came out of this, my ER hesitation has been greatly reduced knowing there’s a good one I can go to and get timely service.

Now if there was only a cat scent wipe to get this fabric softener smell off of her. It’s quite potent. She smells like she was given a rub down with Bounce sheets. 🤦🏼‍♂️

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Tell Betty that she has used up her quota....of traveling anywhere...except in her own yacht and car. :nono:
(Cannot wait to see her special car...if it's a sports car or old classic.
But that will have to wait....until you have thoroughly "Betty proofed" the entire place, I guess.)

No more 'valet service to vets'....with lounges full of meowtini glasses, and rolling up those sleeves.
(I cannot get that picture out of my head, now, where all cats lounge and wait for blood draws, while we humans sip water in our cars.)
It’s a good thing she’s an only cat. She came home smelling like they wrapped her in fabric softener sheets. 🙊🤦🏼‍♂️ It’s a good thing she likes a good nuzzle from me. I’ll help her smell like an animal again. 😹
:blush::spew::lol:
She is nuzzling everything and everyone (which is only me.) “Get this scent off of me!” 😾
Lol. At least she does not smell so antiseptic like.
That would be kind of tough to wear off...and take longer...for us humans.
Although, those muscle relaxing, and icing gels, do get to be a bit too much, at times, as well.

Your Betty is just trying to get herself to smell like you again, so no one mistakes her for a laundry hamper full of clothes.:thumbsup:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m super impressed with this other ER. It’s baffling that they are literally next door (perhaps share a wall or two) and while ER A was only just calling to see if I was still in the parking lot, ER B had already seen her and given a treatment plan, an estimate, and started working through it in the same time. I’m convinced that I would still be waiting in ER A’s lot right now had I not gone next door. And ER B techs and doctors were a pleasure to talk to and work with. So if anything good came out of this, my ER hesitation has been greatly reduced knowing there’s a good one I can go to and get timely service.
That is so interesting that they are next door to each other.
How did you actually find it?
Pure luck, or had to look it up online?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so interesting that they are next door to each other.
How did you actually find it?
Pure luck, or had to look it up online?
I've always seen them together when going to the first. I just assumed that they were somehow affiliated with each other. But when I called Betty's vet this morning to see if she could be seen by him first, I said I would take her down to one and they offered the other as an alternative. I still believed they were the same people. When I was told that the wait would be 60 to 90 minutes, that's when I asked, "what about those people next door? Are you and them the same people?" It makes me wonder if others who go to the first have been skipping other one making the same mistake thinking they are the same people.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever I latch on to a vet and they do a great job, I always try to thank them, somehow. Either w a card or just aloud. An ER nurse told me once is it really helps her through her stressed out, long hours when she gets a genuine thank you. (I am sure you do this, but just saying general). Am so glad Miss White has one of the good ones, long may she wave!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's great that you asked the question and gave "B" a try!
Yeah, when I walk down the laundry aisle of any supermarket, it's all I can do not to gag at the overpowering fake scents, none of which are attractive to me. I don't use those dryer sheets but I'm thinking Betty would NOT like to smell like them! So strange that with all of the over-the-top "fragrances" for laundry, home, etc, they're making them stronger and longer-lasting. The majority of the population here must be very desensitized. Maybe it's all the (Rx) drugs they're on? Awful.
Yes, Margot Lane Margot Lane -- so helpful and true! I've read that veterinarians have very high suicide and depression rates, and it's no wonder. Our vet in the Mojave was amazing. Not only did they have full diagnostics onsite, he worked with clients who were of lower economic means (and since we weren't in that bracket at the time, he did give us some discounts anyway as we were a large multicat family, but he let us know that when we paid the full fees, that meant they were able to help out some who could not afford this. I was extremely impressed with their excellent service and their caring -- they always sent personally signed cards when one of our loved ones passed, and he went above and beyond to see that those I had to airlift to safety were fully vetted and approved. I couldn't have asked for a better vet. And I wrote them a glowing endorsement on "that" ratings site.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just portioned out nearly 50 half ounce bags of Lotus Raw which looks like the closest to Rad Cat since Rad Cat. And Betty shows no interest. She has sniffed it half a dozen times but hasn’t so much as tasted it. Okay Betty. I give in. Let me get your Fancy Feast. In the meantime, she’s very lovey dovey. 😽😻 And she STILL smells like dryer sheets.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FINALLY! She has decided to try the Lotus and I think she likes it.

The plate is not totally clean. And there wasn’t much to begin with. But I imagine that was 7 to 10 grams she ate. 👍
AFDDCFF9-D282-4B6B-B9A4-5A89CCA62C25.jpeg
And now we wait to see if it stays down or if she wants to finish this before the clock runs out on it.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The plate is not totally clean. And there wasn’t much to begin with. But I imagine that was 7 to 10 grams she ate. 👍
View attachment 411866
And now we wait to see if it stays down or if she wants to finish this before the clock runs out on it.
Good girl Betty! Keep up the good work! :hearthrob: :lovecat3: :hearthrob:
Really hoping that smell dissipates soon! As bad as it smells to (some of) us, it must be overpoweringly yukky to her!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should definitely send MedVet a thank you email. If I have thank you cards, one will go out. But if I wait for a chance to break away and buy some, I'm afraid I'll lose track of it and eventually give up on it.

A pleasant side effect of having a cat named after someone so beloved especially among the animal community is that my Betty White is getting her own popularity by transference. Every vet tech and doctor love her and her name as much as her namesake. As it should be!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should definitely send MedVet a thank you email. If I have thank you cards, one will go out. But if I wait for a chance to break away and buy some, I'm afraid I'll lose track of it and eventually give up on it.

A pleasant side effect of having a cat named after someone so beloved especially among the animal community is that my Betty White is getting her own popularity by transference. Every vet tech and doctor love her and her name as much as her namesake. As it should be!
"By any means necessary" it is well deserved! :hearthrob: :lovecat3: :hearthrob:
Just a blank card with a short message would be appreciated, I'm sure. Doesn't have to be fancy, or involved. Just the acknowledgement and the thought will be something special.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"By any means necessary" it is well deserved! :hearthrob: :lovecat3: :hearthrob:
Just a blank card with a short message would be appreciated, I'm sure. Doesn't have to be fancy, or involved. Just the acknowledgement and the thought will be something special.
You know what? You're right. I'll put it on the list for the weekend. It doesn't have to be tomorrow.

I can certainly fill out their online survey in the meantime.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know what? You're right. I'll put it on the list for the weekend. It doesn't have to be tomorrow.

I can certainly fill out their online survey in the meantime.
Glad that can work! I've had a lot of times where I couldn't get specific occasion cards, and as long as I can send a nice-looking blank card with a heartfelt message, it's been well received. Doesn't have to be perfectly worded -- just sincere.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

View attachment 411866
She did not finish it from there. Final tally was about 8 grams. I've gotten good with Krista at spotting what 3 grams left behind looks like. Because Krista didn't always finish hers either.

She is napping so hard right now. I'll put out 1/4 portion of her usual FF and withhold another 1/4 portion for a midnight drop. The rest will go down the sink. Better than coming back up on the carpet. Hopefully she'll be back to full portions by tomorrow night.

We'll give her a full poop cycle before I offer her any more Lotus.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
4 hours since her last “meal” (the quarter ounce of Lotus) and it took far less convincing to get her to dig into her 21 grams of Fancy Feast. She finished it in one go. 🙀 I don’t weigh her nibbling sessions. But this seems like the most I’ve seen her eat at once. We’ll wait four hours and I’ll set out midnight meal.

Maybe this gets us off the nibble train and onto scheduled feeding??? Or not. She needs to eat more than 20 grams per meal if I don’t want to commit to 8 feedings a day.